[vT]Hobo: Scourge Roaming Videos

Helly.2597

@"EremiteAngel.9765" said:Hot dam, nice vid.No wonder I've been seeing so many more roaming scourges the past few days.So it was because of your videos again XD

Thanks! Appreciate it man.

Haha probably more cause people are realizing it brings a lot of tools to deal with larger groups right now. Just the weakness to range to have to deal with.

And I put out another video. Hopefully people enjoy. No changes to the build (but it's in the description anyways).

• 2 weeks later...

I was just watching some of your Scourge roaming streams and realized that Harbinger Shroud actually has its uses!I initially thought it was a downgrade from the normal shroud 5.But watching you use them made me realize they can be used as a 'throwable' time bomb!I saw you casting F5 before casting F1 on the opponent a split second before the bomb explodes, nuking the opponent where previously they could just move out of a pulsing normal F5.Nice stuff!

@EremiteAngel.9765 said:I was just watching some of your Scourge roaming streams and realized that Harbinger Shroud actually has its uses!I initially thought it was a downgrade from the normal shroud 5.But watching you use them made me realize they can be used as a 'throwable' time bomb!I saw you casting F5 before casting F1 on the opponent a split second before the bomb explodes, nuking the opponent where previously they could just move out of a pulsing normal F5.Nice stuff!

Thanks! It has some side benefits that are somewhat build specific too. Additional barrier (which also goes to allies so more sustain for everyone), boon corrupts, and for whatever reason it has 2/3 the cost of normal desert shroud, which is huge for a low HP build imo for longer fights. It's also bugged and abrasive grit doesn't proc on the second barrier application so it should be a bit better tbh.

I've found it better for peeling/counter bursting someone who's chasing you since all the pressure applies at once so you can studder step someone into getting bombed easily. You're right though, the trade-off might not be worth it, but I've had more success with it than the other so far with the Marshal's set.

@EremiteAngel.9765 said:I was just watching some of your Scourge roaming streams and realized that Harbinger Shroud actually has its uses!I initially thought it was a downgrade from the normal shroud 5.But watching you use them made me realize they can be used as a 'throwable' time bomb!I saw you casting F5 before casting F1 on the opponent a split second before the bomb explodes, nuking the opponent where previously they could just move out of a pulsing normal F5.Nice stuff!

Wait. Does that work now?On harbingers shroud release that didn't work:Casting f5 then replacing/placing the shade.The bomb only went off around you then, not around the shade

@Nimon.7840 said:

Wait. Does that work now?On harbingers shroud release that didn't work:Casting f5 then replacing/placing the shade.The bomb only went off around you then, not around the shade

Seemed to work now when I saw Hobo using it in his stream.Maybe Hobo can confirm?

It will not go off if you place it after the delay for the start of the cast. So placing it early before the charge up will work but anytime after that won't.

So no it doesn't work still and I'm willing it bet it's intentional sadly :(

@Helly.2597 said:It will not go off if you place it after the delay for the start of the cast. So placing it early before the charge up will work but anytime after that won't.

Sure it's intentionally, else this would be a very good trait in some situations.You could bomb people on purpose.

@Nimon.7840 said:

@Helly.2597 said:It will not go off if you place it after the delay for the start of the cast. So placing it early before the charge up will work but anytime after that won't.

Sure it's intentionally, else this would be a very good trait in some situations.You could bomb people on purpose.

And God forbid we get the chance to do that with scourge.

I've been inspired to try out Scourge roaming after watching your streams but the build I'm using (Plague Doctor with Dura runes) feels squishy in group fights when hard focused by 2 or more foes.

This is the build I'm currently trying.http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vRAQNArYWnE9CN9i10AW9Cs9ilkBLKndtCAUHhlQPQPt2WrrA-jlxYQBAQZmGV/Bj6DCgSjOt/wCUCCA-w

Does your Marshal build with the 1K+ healing perform well when focused by a few enemies?

@"EremiteAngel.9765" said:I've been inspired to try out Scourge roaming after watching your streams but the build I'm using (Plague Doctor with Dura runes) feels squishy in group fights when hard focused by 2 or more foes.

This is the build I'm currently trying.http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vRAQNArYWnE9CN9i10AW9Cs9ilkBLKndtCAUHhlQPQPt2WrrA-jlxYQBAQZmGV/Bj6DCgSjOt/wCUCCA-w

Does your Marshal build with the 1K+ healing perform well when focused by a few enemies?

Hmm. I'll have to take a look at the build, but imo dura might be a waste since you already have so much hp and toughness. I'm loving the antitoxin plus abrasive grit cleanses especially while kiting.

As far as handling focus I doubt my build would be better. In group fights it's more about positioning yourself so you force the enemy to overcommit onto you if they want to focus you or you have allies who know when to peel and help you kite. I've roamed with the same group of people in vT for over four years, so they are used to how I play and how I position which helps me a lot.

Harbringers does help with being trained though since it gives so much barrier to yourself and corrupts boons on enemies who are on top of you which is much better than just conversion to torment.

Sorry I can't be more help haha. Anet seems to prefer Necro being forced to have a babysitter as the fights get larger unlike every other class.

@Helly.2597 said:

@"EremiteAngel.9765" said:I've been inspired to try out Scourge roaming after watching your streams but the build I'm using (Plague Doctor with Dura runes) feels squishy in group fights when hard focused by 2 or more foes.

This is the build I'm currently trying.

Hmm. I'll have to take a look at the build, but imo dura might be a waste since you already have so much hp and toughness. I'm loving the antitoxin plus abrasive grit cleanses especially while kiting.

As far as handling focus I doubt my build would be better. In group fights it's more about positioning yourself so you force the enemy to overcommit onto you if they want to focus you or you have allies who know when to peel and help you kite. I've roamed with the same group of people in vT for over four years, so they are used to how I play and how I position which helps me a lot.

Harbringers does help with being trained though since it gives so much barrier to yourself and corrupts boons on enemies who are on top of you which is much better than just conversion to torment.

Sorry I can't be more help haha. Anet seems to prefer Necro being forced to have a babysitter as the fights get larger unlike every other class.

That's a great point! I never thought of anti toxin with abrasive grit.No wonder you could handle condi foes in your fights too!I always thought it was just barrier OP XD

I hesitated to try Harbingers Shroud because you guys were saying it doesn't work on the shade if you cast it after but seems like there are still merits to it.Thanks!

@EremiteAngel.9765 said:

@EremiteAngel.9765 said:I've been inspired to try out Scourge roaming after watching your streams but the build I'm using (Plague Doctor with Dura runes) feels squishy in group fights when hard focused by 2 or more foes.

This is the build I'm currently trying.

That's a great point! I never thought of anti toxin with abrasive grit.No wonder you could handle condi foes in your fights too!I always thought it was just barrier OP XD

I hesitated to try Harbingers Shroud because you guys were saying it doesn't work on the shade if you cast it after but seems like there are still merits to it.Thanks!

Antitoxin makes a huge difference getting cleanses on soft cc roo which helps when kiting.

Harbringers isn't so bad. I bounce between it and normal shroud and the middle trait. If I'm in larger groups and need elite more often and have a support I go normal shroud. Otherwise I actually really like the extra barrier for smaller. And the corrupts means more.

@Bezerker.2379 said:Do you find the marshalls worth it over say pure cele with marshal weapons? You definitely have more condi damage but less toughness and ferocity

Cele is probably better if you play with larger groups more. Since your dmg becomes more power focused the more fbs/cleanse the opponent takes. And you want a bit of toughness so revs don't 1 shot you.

Personally I think Marshal's is better if you're the main aoe dps in the group. You want more condi dmg and you don't really care about ferocity so much.

In general the gear is pretty flexible depending on how you/your group plays. If you're gonna have more support on yourself you can get away with grieving gear probably. Less support Marshal's or plaguedoctor is better. Cele is a nice compromise between the different choices and isn't a bad choice overall.

@Helly.2597 said:

@Bezerker.2379 said:Do you find the marshalls worth it over say pure cele with marshal weapons? You definitely have more condi damage but less toughness and ferocity

Cele is probably better if you play with larger groups more. Since your dmg becomes more power focused the more fbs/cleanse the opponent takes. And you want a bit of toughness so revs don't 1 shot you.

Personally I think Marshal's is better if you're the main aoe dps in the group. You want more condi dmg and you don't really care about ferocity so much.

In general the gear is pretty flexible depending on how you/your group plays. If you're gonna have more support on yourself you can get away with grieving gear probably. Less support Marshal's or plaguedoctor is better. Cele is a nice compromise between the different choices and isn't a bad choice overall.

Gotcha. Thanks for the feedback. Currently running in mostly small groups, but we attract huge zergs. (Well.. let me rephrase that. quickcry attracts huge zergs we're just there for giggles.)

I noticed you mentioned plaguedoctors. I've not given plaguedoctors too much of a chance yet. The barriers that come from healing power and herald shroud are just too damned good with healing power. I tried going back to pure trailblazer, and it has its place for small or solo roam, but I find in a group the barrier just too damned good. :P

Again. thanks for the feedback. Nice to see non meta scourge builds out there.

@Bezerker.2379 said:

Gotcha. Thanks for the feedback. Currently running in mostly small groups, but we attract huge zergs. (Well.. let me rephrase that. quickcry attracts huge zergs we're just there for giggles.)

I noticed you mentioned plaguedoctors. I've not given plaguedoctors too much of a chance yet. The barriers that come from healing power and herald shroud are just too damned good with healing power. I tried going back to pure trailblazer, and it has its place for small or solo roam, but I find in a group the barrier just too damned good. :P

Again. thanks for the feedback. Nice to see non meta scourge builds out there.

Yeah I haven't really tested plaguedoctors either. I think it'd be better than trailblazers overall regardless of scale tbh. But being me, I'd rather just be a snowflake and go builds without a lot of defensive stats.

Yesterday, we were roaming as a 6man group, engaging 6-15man groups.We had me on power reaper and someone else on power scourge.All enemy groups we met had at least 1, some even had 2 or 3 scrappers.But then, especially in these small-scale fights, I think necros role is even more "corrupts" less dmg.But I still want to do dmg.So I'm torn.Focussing on corrupts would imply playing Condi. But then there's so many scrappers, that it's not really worth, focussing on Condi dmg

@"Nimon.7840" said:Yesterday, we were roaming as a 6man group, engaging 6-15man groups.We had me on power reaper and someone else on power scourge.All enemy groups we met had at least 1, some even had 2 or 3 scrappers.But then, especially in these small-scale fights, I think necros role is even more "corrupts" less dmg.But I still want to do dmg.So I'm torn.Focussing on corrupts would imply playing Condi. But then there's so many scrappers, that it's not really worth, focussing on Condi dmg

Boon corrupts are the reason that Necro will always be used in metas (unless anet gives them to another class *like spellbreaker). I wouldn't say that corrupts are condi focused even. I typically take cboon with all my power reaper builds so you can chain corrupts/stripes with spiteful proc/active and overcome the boon spam. Back when I played power reaper a few months ago, fbs and holos get melted by the boon hate aspect of even power builds.

Scrappers make it more difficult to keep conditions up, but usually we avoid this by picking at targets that are slightly separated and focussing them. And eventually the cleanse won't be enough. It isn't always about your abilities directly killing the target but also about the chip dmg you do via condis overtime wearing down enemy comps. Me and loyal (soulbeast in a lot of my videos) get around the cleanse problem by communicating when I'll elite and he'll binding roots. Even scrappers and fbs have difficulties cleansing quickly enough and it let's us swing fights. A reaper scourge combo could probably find the shout elite and breach together would have a similar effect.

Reaper vs scourge have almost opposite issued imo. Reaper is solid single target until someone is down and then you have great cleave. Scourge has horrible single target but great aoe access but can have difficulties dishing out enough dmg once they're down (outside of elite).

Corrupts aren't really a detriment to Necro dmg, but a key part of it. And with how easy boons are to get now in wvw it's even more important to use the corrupts mainly when you know yourself or an ally has a dmg follow-up ready.