[merged] About the Skyscale Timegate...

@Katastroff.1045 said:

@"Stephane Lo Presti.7258" said:Hi,

We've posted an update about the skyscale acquisition here:

As mentioned above, we welcome your feedback but please take into account the previous message I posted and that I'll repost here:

The discussion remained mostly civil so far and I want to thank all of you who contributed respectfully. All of you are passionate about the game and we're reading your posts. There are however tensions in this thread and I want to remind everyone here, whether you agree with a point being raised or not, that we ask all forum contributors to be
respectful and constructive
. No ad-hominem arguments will be accepted and, if you see a post like this, simply report it, the moderation team will action them (in passing, this is a friendly reminder about
). You can talk about various aspects of the game, how you feel about them, and generally share your feedback but the discussion here has to remain courteous.

So those that are doing it it now, the hard way, are getting a nice slap in the face. Did Aneth in is infinite wisdom consider some kind of compensation for us?

Haha, I was waiting for the first post like this after the update news. When the update happens it isn't any easier as far as completing the collection tasks, just takes less time during the feeding part. So I'm not sure what you mean by the hard way unless waiting 4 days is hard? Your compensation is you get the Skyscale earlier than people that wait for the change to occur on the 28th. :sunglasses:

Was any other collection had ever had its time gates reduce?

That doesn't have anything to do with this. Your complaint was you had to do the Skyscale collection "the hard way" and next week people won't have to. There is nothing hard about waiting 4 days. Maybe annoying but it isn't hard. Had they removed parts of the collection like the eggs or something then I could almost see being unhappy about doing it the hard way. Again, you get the Skyscale well before people that wait until the change next week.

A large amount of people spoke out about the time gate and it seems Anet choose to listen to them. I am also affected by the "hard way" time gate but I'm glad Anet listened and made changes it appears a significant amount of the community wanted.

@JustTrogdor.7892 said:

As mentioned above, we welcome your feedback but please take into account the previous message I posted and that I'll repost here:

The discussion remained mostly civil so far and I want to thank all of you who contributed respectfully. All of you are passionate about the game and we're reading your posts. There are however tensions in this thread and I want to remind everyone here, whether you agree with a point being raised or not, that we ask all forum contributors to be
. No ad-hominem arguments will be accepted and, if you see a post like this, simply report it, the moderation team will action them (in passing, this is a friendly reminder about
). You can talk about various aspects of the game, how you feel about them, and generally share your feedback but the discussion here has to remain courteous.

So those that are doing it it now, the hard way, are getting a nice slap in the face. Did Aneth in is infinite wisdom consider some kind of compensation for us?

Haha, I was waiting for the first post like this after the update news. When the update happens it isn't any easier as far as completing the collection tasks, just takes less time during the feeding part. So I'm not sure what you mean by the hard way unless waiting 4 days is hard? Your compensation is you get the Skyscale earlier than people that wait for the change to occur on the 28th. :sunglasses:

That doesn't have anything to do with this. Your complaint was you had to do the Skyscale collection "the hard way" and next week people won't have to. There is nothing hard about waiting 4 days. Maybe annoying but it isn't hard. Had they removed parts of the collection like the eggs or something then I could almost see being unhappy about doing it the hard way. Again, you get the Skyscale well before people that wait until the change next week.

A large amount of people spoke out about the time gate and it seems Anet choose to listen to them. I am also affected by the "hard way" time gate but I'm glad Anet listened and made changes it appears a significant amount of the community wanted.

Unfortunately with changes inbound and as more people learn about them, more people are going to come in saying they feel cheated that they had to work through it all with the original method. The only thing we can do is avoid too much confrontation with that as it's their personal feelings, rather than an opinion or a fact.

Needless to say, you are right, there is no "hard way," as it is staying the same. The only difference is it takes substantially less time waiting for Collection Tiers to unlock.

@Rukario.1695 said:

Unfortunately with changes inbound and as more people learn about them, more people are going to come in saying they feel cheated that they had to work through it all with the original method. The only thing we can do is avoid too much confrontation with that as it's their personal feelings, rather than an opinion or a fact.

Needless to say, you are right, there is no "hard way," as it is staying the same. The only difference is it takes substantially less time waiting for Collection Tiers to unlock.

Yeah, I've been doing my best to not get in back and forth arguments here, or forum PvP as I sometimes call it. I let my guard down I suppose. :disappointed:

@Rukario.1695 said:

Oh? They mentioned changing things around? I must've missed that post. Do you happen to have a link?

@Starfall Leyline.2481 said:

Oh? They mentioned changing things around? I must've missed that post. Do you happen to have a link?

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/77191/an-update-about-the-skyscale-acquisition

I still don't understand why we have to wait, even if it's 2 hrs. Just remove the time gates entirely if you're cutting the wait by 91%. If it's for the impression that "our Skyscale is growing" then it kind of falls flat on its face since this is just a collection, not Nintendogs.

It's better than it was before, at least. Thanks for not ignoring us entirely.

@JustTrogdor.7892 said:

I just dont see why some changes should be made for the winterized part of the community, but that's just my humble opinion.

On these wise words, im out of here.

@JustTrogdor.7892 said:

Well well Anet! They surprised me - I didn't think they'd so readily change the time gating. It looks like they're keeping the "growing stages" time gate, which to me makes sense. My only recommendation to them would be to add some sort of activity you can do (nothing major, just a little event) that lets you 'earn' the extra feeding to make the feeding stage more engaging. But hey, overall, it's less time required.

I'm just hoping that they also listen to the threads pushing for the Skyscale itself to be improved, because it still needs tweaks, but I suspect that will come with time.

I kind of sat back and watched this fiasco play out. I had no issue with the time gate in length but when it got triggered. If it started when you completed a collection/phase/interaction it wouldn't have been so bad to me. But Server Reset was a no go. Anyway hope you guys/gals enjoy your new mount!!!

@FrizzFreston.5290 said:

@FrizzFreston.5290 said:I dunno, i cant twirl through the sky on a springer, nor on a glider.

And if there's floating magic about, collecting it with the skyscale is "objectively" better than any other mount.

But hey, I'm just on a borrowed mount, I guess with masteries it can do even less...

You can't with Skyscale either (if by "twirl" you don't mean hover in position without moving). That's the issue.Its only unique trait is that you can hover without moving above spots. It's an "afk hovermount", as multiple people said in this thread (with multiple expressions). It's basically useless in exploration if you don't want to chill or waste time, and doesn't have the best engage skill (that would be Springer/Jackal or sometimes Raptor). It's just to show off at the moment.

The Rift Repair paths are situational at best. Similar to the Jackal portals.

It seriously needs the wall clinging mechanic fixed, dome more horizontal movement (at least better than gliding) and maybe a third stamina bar.

Hint: Press the first mount skill button while hovering. (default: c i think?)

Funny, you seem to talk like you know everything, but clearly you don't.

Or you know less. After you release your grab, the skyscale bounces off. This means that in order to land you need to get closer to the wall going slowly to avoid the grab completely. If you mess up and you have the red flight gauge, then you have to start over.

Glad to see they are reducing the timegates (still rather have none at all, but it is better).I should be done before the changes hit. I just pressed '2' three times to feed my Skyscale for the last time and now have to wait 24 hours to even unlock the next collection. That's not even content. Really glad there was enough feedback about this ridiculous waiting to fix it for everyone else who hasn't done it yet.

@"Kidel.2057" said:Skyscale saddle requirements https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/br3epw/skyscale_saddle/

• 500 Trade Contracts
  • 250 of each LWS4 Map Currency
  • 1500 Volatile Magic
  • 35 Gold

This is very manageable.

The 500 Trade Contracts is the only steep requirement, and 35 Gold is relatively cheap.

All in all this mount requires about 125g (50% less) than the Griffon.

This is fine.

there have been a number of positive things I have seen from this map including something I criticized way back when HoT was first released. this is the first time since silverwastes where I can say that you have finally created a 1) map with a solid meta that 2) ends in an interesting fight that is both 3) rewarding and 4) Not locked behind a long set timer but rather behind player participation and 5) doesnt, at least as of yet, seem to encourage ignoring the main meta like the SW chest farm (though some of the achievements like the bridge one cause deviatinos from that)Now...

For the skyscale in particular, the daily gates were designed for a couple of reasons, including the story—it doesn’t make sense for your skyscale to go from an egg to fully grown in a day. However, we recognize that there are stronger ways to create a sense of progression toward a reward. We’ll continue to learn from this as we develop future releases.This is a good goal, however, there is a massive flaw in the implementation: No one is progressing, raising, or otherwise training a skyscale. We are checking things off of a UI. Sure, I get the concept behind timegating it for the sake of immersion, I dont like it but I'll grant it for the sake of argument, but I still havent seen a skyscale a week out. What I mean is, if you want us to feel like we are raising out own skyscale it maybe should have gone like this (I'll even throw in timegating for flavor since I granted that):

Collection 1) You do something that grants you a skyscale egg. No timegate on the items, you get an egg and it hatches at the next daily reset unlocking collection 2Collection 2) you do some things, no item time gates, at the next daily reset, the egg hatches giving you a Mini ScyscaleCollection 3) you rep your mini skyscale and run it around the map doing some things.Collection 4) your mini skyscale (which you get to keep) becomes a back gizmo like the C&C short bow collection. you, I dont know, visit some of the skyscales in the map and run the meta or something since skyscale is lore wise a dragon, it can "grow up" and become the full mount as soon as kralk blows up and magic is released.Collection 5) Here, you get your mount. Maybe it doesnt have a full hover bar or whatever you want to call it or maybe the different masteries unlock with successive "training", but it should have been no more than the 3-4 days without the actual mount, and each day, as you see, there is visible progression toward the mount.

There are plenty that would still not like this kind of time gating, but, given your quoted goal, this would have at least been a bit more in line with even that. People are seeing no real progression other than in the UI and that does not lend itself to a feeling of progress or a feeling of raising a skyscale.

I am glad Anet is changing the time gating.The feed was the most annoying, you get the 2 collections done in a day, then you wait 14hrs - feed 3 times (takes what, a minute at most?) and wait another 24hrsI just did my 4th and last feed and am again on a wait for 24 hours. That part has me annoyed... more so than the wait after collections. Because you invest 1 minute, and wait 24hrs.

Changing it to 2 hours is a good idea. I applaud them for listening. But seriously, next time Talk to your community...

Also take a look at the grow lamp. I was saving up my Charged Quartz Crystals for something else, that now has been pushed back 10 days because of that grow lamp. That is just silly... tp prices are insane, it went up fast, real fast.

Maybe ad an achievement linked to Skyscale where one can earn a grow lamp? One time achievement... just a thought.

@Tuna Bandit.3786 said:I am glad Anet is changing the time gating.The feed was the most annoying, you get the 2 collections done in a day, then you wait 14hrs - feed 3 times (takes what, a minute at most?) and wait another 24hrs

This isn't changing, feeding times still require 24 hours, they are just letting you feed it 4/12 times instead of 3/12 times per day.

@"Kidel.2057" said:Skyscale saddle requirements https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/br3epw/skyscale_saddle/26,277 volatile magic and 5,236 trade contracts. Good thing I hoard, lol. Bit short on map currencies, but a couple of days will give me plenty of time to farm with a few characters.

Having to wait a full day after last feeding definitely stings a bit.

@Katastroff.1045 said:

The feedback of those doing it “the hard way” was listened to and changes implemented — anything but a “slap in the face.” Your compensation is you get to be among the first to have the new mount. If that does not matter to you, the logical thing would have been to post your feedback and then wait to see whether changes would be implemented before continuing.

I am quite happy with Anet’s response and the changes to be implemented! It probably won’t effect me personally as I tend to take my time with these things anyway, but the changes seem very sensible to me and I am glad that they listen to the community! :+1:

@"Trise.2865" said:How many times do we have to tell people not to blast through content in 10 minutes? to take their time and enjoy it? They never learn...

But that's up to us to go through the content quickly or not. I personally hate waiting, and these time gates are making it more of a chore to get them finished because I want the mount for my account to be completed on that front. The episode I felt was a toss-out, they could've gone for a more surprising twist to the ending, but I'm not a GW2 writer so I can't comment my opinion. I stress over completing collections for mounts on time so I can be able to do things other players can. The Warclaw was one of those stressful things for me because I had never been in WvW before and I had to completely learn a new gamemode. After everyone got their mount WvW pretty much died again. Tonight I waited for the daily reset to finish feeding my Skyscale, only to be met with "you have to wait until the next daily reset to continue the collections" yay. So I looked up the next part, and found yet another huge collection in a jumping puzzle...I hate jumping puzzles with a passion and now I have to stress over completing that so I can have the mount. I'd rather pay Gold to have it quickly so I can start working on the masteries since they take a bit of time to max out. I'm not trying to sound rude here, but it bothers me a lot, and I feel sorry for brand new players because there's so much content to get through now it's almost a bad idea to start off from scratch. I do love Guild Wars 2, but I can't stand these collections for mounts. Nothing I can do about it though, the only people who will benefit from the cooldown reductions (from 24 hours to 2 hours) are anyone working on the Skyscale after May 28th, which will be a very tiny percentage of people. Useless update for all of us still fighting to complete the collections right now. I'll wait, but this is probably the last mount I work for, it turned me bitter towards the game which is sad because I was in love with GW2 throughout winter 2018-2019 while playing through PoF. Anyway enjoy your day everyone, those are just my thoughts so please don't hold it against me.

Dear Anet,

in regards to the Skyscale. It's really not that there's a grind involved. I'm sure most people don't care about that too much. What people are displeased with is the lack of communication about it. The only way to find out what time gate is hiding behind the current time gate is to get through the current one. You've done something Xzibit would be proud of. That's really why people are upset. If we could have seen the path ahead of time you'd have had a lot fewer displeased customers.

I suspect, at least for myself, that I'll intentionally underfeed my Skyscale until I can farm enough map currency for the last step. That way, I can spend active time working towards the ultimate goal the entire time. The people who already have the currency can either grind it out at max speed or wait until the 28th. I'm excited to get a new mount but not going to complain if it takes a few extra days.

@Rukario.1695 said:

@"Kidel.2057" said:Skyscale saddle requirements
  • 500 Trade Contracts
  • 250 of each LWS4 Map Currency
  • 1500 Volatile Magic
  • 35 Gold

This is very manageable.

The 500 Trade Contracts is the only steep requirement, and 35 Gold is relatively cheap.

All in all this mount requires about 125g (50% less) than the Griffon.

This is fine.

Mostly concerned about Mistonium on my end. Jahai Bluffs is the only map where I don't know how to do the metas.