What are peoples thought on stealth?

zengara.8301

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

room for improvement i'd say.

stealth's purpose is to deny your opponent information but i think it denies a bit too much info for it to be "fun to play against" (only somewhat alleviated because ppl tend to run the same stealth builds so you're able to predict their behavior)

i think stealth is very similar to running away. stealth for a short duration is like opening a gap for kiting and stealthing long is more like running out of combat.

while thief is by far not the only profession that can stealth alot, long stealth has some issues when used by thieves over other professions. with SA they can basically reset the fight on their part while keeping the opponent in combat preventing their reset and specifically deadeye will keep his mark + already buildup malice.if stealthing for longer durations would drop you and your target out of combat regardless of position + for deadeyes reset mark on out of combat, then long stealth wouldnt matter too much for combat.then we only need to adress deadeyes frequent uninterruptable stealth access. uninterruptable stealth access is like a groundtargeted instant teleport to open a gap. if you had that on ~5s cooldown, that would be just as strong.

Strongly dislike stealth, mostly because it's just annoying to play against. I think it would be much less annoying to play against if it was less frequent, so people doesn't blink in and out of existence, and also less stacking.

Essentially, a 3 seconds stealth infrequently in combat, ok. Not the current: 4 seconds here, 4 seconds poof, 4 seconds here, 4 seconds poof.

I don't mind a single skill like Shadow Refuge, that can give a single longer stealth for a long cooldown, with counter play.

But the current stealth stacking should go away.

I'd rather see the classes that depends on it (Thief mainly) be reworked to benefit from other things instead (Like triggering backstab off Blind or imob etc).

There are ways to play against stealth, and it is definitively a L2P issue in general, but stealth is just one of the least fun aspects of the combat. Most of the time, if I find a thief or something in WvW I tend to just turn around and run away, because it's just too boring to even try to fight against them, all the way thinking "Well, stealth was one thing WoW got better than GW2...."

Stealth itself is already a problematic issue, as it flat-out denies the opposing player many means of interacting with the stealthed party. Stealth combined with movement abilities, especially (but not lmited to) teleports and superspeed can be quite overpowering. I don't think I need to elaborate on that.

The same goes for long stealth durations inside of combat, even more so for large groups.There's a reason, mass invisibility only works on 10 targets, there's a reason why veil only lasts 2 seconds. Smoke fields, with their ability to blast them to extend duration significantly are quite bothersome, and while I know how effective a stealth-portalbomb can be, I find this playstyle highly annoying.

Its really only been the duration and frequency of reapplying thats the "problem".

Personally I still think that attacking from stealth should make the character revealed for say 10 seconds and stealth is only stacked with the highest time (ie if you stealth for 5s and instantly apply 3s stealth again, you still only stealth for 5s)

No opinion, really. All the builds that used to be an issue are no longer so. Though some things can build to have high access to Stealth, I don't feel any of them are so difficult to manage that they're not worth fighting. It's just a matter of patience and experience.

I do think Stealth was poorly implemented in GW2, but I also think at this point in it's life it would be unfair to certain professions to have it reworked.

Would prefer stealth more like Warhammer Online, where the stealth class is more like camo than invis. Hate that people can use stealth, and stay stealthed essentially forever in some builds. Combat should keep a player from stealthing imo. Cooldown would be nice as a mechanism as well.

@"zengara.8301" said:As the title says, generally just want to know what people think of stealth in WvW, not the classes that use them etc. Just stealth on its owngood/bad/room for improvement?

I long ago made my suggestions and debate on this issue. In short, I think that stealth should break targeting, but look the same to everyone (even enemies) as it does you. Would allow you to sneak around at range, and deal with AI (camp guards, etc) but not be a get out of jail free card in combat.

And I say this AS a (former^1) Mesmer main. Stealth is too good to the classes that have it that you almost hurt yourself if you don't take at least a little.

1: These days doing more Soulbeast, Scrapper, and Revenant.

@Jayden Reese.9542 said:Garbage mechanic that turns bad players to good good to great and great to unstoppable. Typically the griefer types gravitate towards it in every game. Nothing as fun as fighting something you can't see or getting killed before you can react or esp in gw2 getting attacked surviving and he stealths resets 4 times to finally win or run wasting your time. Leads to more qq or rage quitting then any other mechanic. Just ruins some players experience while catering to the bads that need stealth as a crutch.

This.

And I will add that giving the same builds who have the best mobility, the best stealth, was a big mistake. This allows them to lean on the reset button like a crutch until they actually do get an approach where they win.

One of the problems with stealth is actually a problem instead with how projectiles aim without a target. When you don't have a target your projectiles just shoot in the ground in front of you due to camera angle. If you lower your camera to the horizontal of your character's view you lose all sight behind you. Its just wonky.

One ranged class/build that deals fairly well against stealthed targets is hammer herald due to hammer/glint skills being ground based. The pbaoe from jade winds doesn't do to bad either.

When fighting roaming 1 shot builds? It's a bit obnoxious. I've never been a fan of perma stealth thieves or cloaked gank squads, but every video game has players who enjoy camping more than actively engaging. Just have to be on point with your interrupts, evades, and gtfo options when they do appear.

When combating zergs? It's a cool mechanic. Whether you're doing a coordinated stealth push, using the invisibility to secure a rez or stomp, or dropping a stealthy siege disable on a raiding party, I think stealth is a healthy tool for the game mode.

I wish more folks utilized target painters, Warclaw sniff, and classes with reveals for handling stealth heavy opponents. If you see a blob with Mesmers or Scrappers, expect some sneaking shenanigans.