Nevermind the Timegate, Farmgate is waaay worse — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Nevermind the Timegate, Farmgate is waaay worse

Why? Why do you hate casuals all of a sudden? Please at least give us alternatives for the 250 currency of each map (tradeable or better buyable for a fixed price in either gold or gems). You know I read the statement about lowering the timegates and wanted to vote with my wallet. I have a PSC lying around now, but not sure how and where (ANet?) to use it atm.
You wrote in your statement you didn't want a hard gold price... but that would have been preferable because everyone would have the choice to farm for gold or to buy with gems (win/win right there for you, too). The way it is you have to farm (in my case for weeks maybe even months) .

And btw for those of you thinking " Yeah its exclusive for farmers" ... how would you feel if you can't buy gems for gold anymore and all skins would be exclusively for shoppers? (I would not like that either, for me its about balance and options, wich up to this point we had)

<13

Comments

• Crackmonster.2790Crackmonster.2790 Member ✭✭✭

I get what you are saying i just wanna nitpick about one thing.

Lets say you make a game, where you can buy everything. Does this not affect the game for everyone that wants to earn it?

yes it does, it's not always win/win as you want to make it look like, i love the things that take effort unless its waaaaaaaay over the top or requires commitment to raid groups. If it's just about me putting in effort myself, i'm all for it.

• Minna.7895Minna.7895 Member ✭✭

Well i was trying to get some for Requiem collection... did manage around 50 in a whole week. Maybe I should mention that I really hate nearly every lws4 map (just did Story + Mapcompletion and not much else). If I could choose to trade winterberrys and bloodrubies 1to1 I guess I would personally be more okay (still too many though)

• Get the home instance nodes, especially for any maps you actively dislike! That'll let ju almost passively accrue currency.

@Samnang.1879 said:
    for me jumping-puzzle-gate is my worst nightmare...

Yes, thats what im talking about... there is a way to skip it.

• Menadena.7482Menadena.7482 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Minna.7895 said:
    Why? Why do you hate casuals all of a sudden? Please at least give us alternatives for the 250 currency of each map (tradeable or better buyable for a fixed price in either gold or gems). You know I read the statement about lowering the timegates and wanted to vote with my wallet. I have a PSC lying around now, but not sure how and where (ANet?) to use it atm.
    You wrote in your statement you didn't want a hard gold price... but that would have been preferable because everyone would have the choice to farm for gold or to buy with gems (win/win right there for you, too). The way it is you have to farm (in my case for weeks maybe even months) .

And btw for those of you thinking " Yeah its exclusive for farmers" ... how would you feel if you can't buy gems for gold anymore and all skins would be exclusively for shoppers? (I would not like that either, for me its about balance and options, wich up to this point we had)

I would LOVE to see some alternative. I have already decided it is not worth inflaming my RL health conditions to even start the collection (vertigo from going up high and flashes from the final instance). I would happily buy things with gems or gold if that were an option but no, it has to be content locked. Do not pass go if you have epilepsy.

New to the game? Feel free to give a yell if you need PVE help.

@Teratus.2859 said:

@Tanner Blackfeather.6509 said:
    Get the home instance nodes, especially for any maps you actively dislike! That'll let ju almost passively accrue currency.

10,000 Volatile magic and 50g per node
    That's 300g and 60,000 Volatile Magic.. Casuals are not going to make that kind of investment on something they dont need and probably won't use once Season 5 starts.

I would propably not mind the gold as much... Im at 5k magic though thats the problem here aswell and I only buy karmic retribution 1 (if even)

• Tanner Blackfeather.6509Tanner Blackfeather.6509 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 21, 2019

@Teratus.2859 said:

Get the home instance nodes, especially for any maps you actively dislike! That'll let ju almost passively accrue currency.

That's 300g and 60,000 Volatile Magic.. Casuals are not going to make that kind of investment on something they dont need and probably won't use once Season 5 starts.

Sorry, I was unclear. I don't mean this as a sollution to this specific situation, but as a general advice as insurance against this type of problem.

If Season 5 offers similar nodes, get it for any map you dislike. That way, you'll be able to slowly get rewards related to it without having to play it.

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:
    Time gating was a fundamental flaw in their design, and will be rectified. As for farming, while you could say this collection is way too massive, that's just a preference. I don't think the Skyscale mount is worth the amount of work required, so I'm not going to bother. IF my opinion on that should change when players actually HAVE the mount and can showcase it's abilities, I'll go back and complete it.

Glad to see I am not the only one sitting this out and seeing what will happen. As to getting mats what people can do is farm the instance nodes. Team up with someone who has all the S4 nodes in their home instance (like me) and you will get 250 of each in a couple months without setting foot in any of the new zones.

• bOTEB.1573bOTEB.1573 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Blur.3465 said:

@bOTEB.1573 said:
    ANET: Okay, we remove the Charged Quartz req and reduce the map specific mats to 50.

^ This is all that is needed.

For now ;)

Wishlist:
    Everything that kills me should be nerfed
    Remove all time gates - I play more than some people yet I receive the same rewards per day/week (PvP/WvW tickets etc)
    ANET developments/events and everything else should be in a schedule with the time I play

• Cyninja.2954Cyninja.2954 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 21, 2019

@bOTEB.1573 said:
    Unhappy players: The time gates are killing this collection, please change it!
    ANET: Okay, we will reduce the time gate.
    Unhappy players: Time gates are nothing, remove the requirement for Charged Quartz of the collection and introduce less farming, I mean we don't want to farm at all.
    ANET: But you can buy the food made from Charged Quartz and the Lamp from the TP.
    Unahppy players: We don't care, they cost gold, we don't have gold, nor we want to farm gold (because we don't have time to farm), remove them please.
    ANET: Okay, we remove the Charged Quartz req and reduce the map specific mats to 50.
    Unhappy players: ANET, it is still not enough, why can't we just get the mount after the story, you are laughing at your player base. There is no such thing in any other MMO.
    ANET: Okay, we give the mount after the story.
    Unhappy players: OMG, so much wasted experience for the masteries of the mount during the story, why can't we get the mount once we enter in the map, ASAP???!?
    ANET: Okay, we give the mount once the story starts.
    Unhappy players: ANET, we don't like the new story, nothing to do there. It is super easy and boring. Is it what GW2 is going to become? This was the final nail in the coffin, bye!
    ANET: .....

You forgot the part where people are done with the content 2 days after the patch and complain there is nothing to do. Then leave the game for good. Oh wait, that is literally what people were complaining about with the time-gate: once done I have nothing to do to progress my mount.

Otherwise, spot on.

@ChronoPinoyX.7923 said:
    It's almost like playing the game is part of what gaming is about.

Yeah if I can farm/play whereever I want, I love to mix up buying and farming as i see fit

@Samnang.1879 said:

From what I understand you can buy the items? I would hate to have to do JPs but having to do all of the finale (with those flashing lights and the vertigo heights) was the showstopper for me.

• Cyninja.2954Cyninja.2954 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 21, 2019

@Menadena.7482 said:

@Samnang.1879 said:

From what I understand you can buy the items? I would hate to have to do JPs but having to do all of the finale (with those flashing lights and the vertigo heights) was the showstopper for me.

You can skip all jumping puzzle related achieves on step 4. The price is around 4 gold per sub achievement skipped (some are very easy and literally just require you to walk somewhere), so you would have to invest around 80 additional gold (there is 21 sub-achieves and you get 1 free food item for skipping) if you literally want to skip the entire section.

• Can see visit to other people's home instances is going to be in demand (will need to remember to send out invites)

• Teratus.2859Teratus.2859 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 21, 2019

@Teratus.2859 said:

Sorry, I was unclear. I don't mean this as a sollution to this specific situation, but as a general advice as insurance against this type of problem.

If Season 5 offers similar nodes, get it for any map you dislike. That way, you'll be able to slowly get rewards related to it without having to play it.

I know you didn't :)
    I just wanted to point out that those nodes even sigular are not a cheap investment tbh.. and if you want all of them like I do your wallets going to hurt lol

I expect season 5 will definitely continue the trend with more nodes although I'm pretty sure I recall hearing that not all the episodes in Season 5 will be introducing new maps so it's anyones guess how Season 5 is going to play out.

@Minna.7895 said:

@Teratus.2859 said:

I would propably not mind the gold as much... Im at 5k magic though thats the problem here aswell and I only buy karmic retribution 1 (if even)

Gold doesn't come easy for me tbh but that Volatile Magic.. uhh I can't stand how slowly that accumilates.
    I can't force myself to run daily meta's in each map.. that kind of tedium makes me not want to play anymore so I just have to collect VM as I go which is a very slow process.
    Would be nice if there was a converter so I could convert unwanted unbound magic into volatile magic and vice versa.
    I'd gladly buy that off the gemstore.

• MrRuin.9740MrRuin.9740 Member ✭✭✭

Meh, I don't care anymore. This Skyscale has been a farce since it launched.
    I'm going to do it the super casual way and just buy 5 of each currency from the Volatile Magic vendor in Dragons Fall daily. Games are supposed to be fun. Implementing timegates and tedious grinds are the exact opposite of that. I'm in no rush for a mount that is inferior to the ones I already have, so at least I have this option of just slowly buying the currency and can go back to playing how I want to play.
    See you in 6~7 weeks Skyscale!

• ChronoPinoyX.7923ChronoPinoyX.7923 Member ✭✭✭

@Kyumy.5370 said:
    Oh my God people never stops complaining. I'm starting to wonder if you guys really want to play this game in the end x)

It's that part of the community that don't want to actually play the game at all under the excuse of "they are casual"

The reason Time gating was bad is because it meant progression came to a full stop meaning players can't do anything at that point regardless of any other forms of farming they do. Farm gating is an excuse because people don't want to work to get what they want.

• Vavume.8065Vavume.8065 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Minna.7895 said:
    Why? Why do you hate casuals all of a sudden? Please at least give us alternatives for the 250 currency of each map (tradeable or better buyable for a fixed price in either gold or gems).

Could you be a bit more clear, what requires 250 currency of each map?

• Blocki.4931Blocki.4931 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Vavume.8065 said:

@Minna.7895 said:
    Why? Why do you hate casuals all of a sudden? Please at least give us alternatives for the 250 currency of each map (tradeable or better buyable for a fixed price in either gold or gems).

Could you be a bit more clear, what requires 250 currency of each map?

The very last step of the skyscale collections.

Bite me.

• Blocki.4931Blocki.4931 Member ✭✭✭✭

@MrRuin.9740 said:
    Meh, I don't care anymore. This Skyscale has been a farce since it launched.
    I'm going to do it the super casual way and just buy 5 of each currency from the Volatile Magic vendor in Dragons Fall daily. Games are supposed to be fun. Implementing timegates and tedious grinds are the exact opposite of that. I'm in no rush for a mount that is inferior to the ones I already have, so at least I have this option of just slowly buying the currency and can go back to playing how I want to play.
    See you in 6~7 weeks Skyscale!

Thanks for reminding me you can just buy them now. Even less of a thing to complain about now

Bite me.

@Cyninja.2954 said:

@Menadena.7482 said:

@Samnang.1879 said:

You can skip all jumping puzzle related achieves on step 4. The price is around 4 gold per sub achievement skipped (some are very easy and literally just require you to walk somewhere), so you would have to invest around 80 additional gold (there is 21 sub-achieves and you get 1 free food item for skipping) if you literally want to skip the entire section.

Thanks, I have no problem with dropping more gold (I have 3 paid accounts and the login rewards tend to pile up) or spending the time. Even the 250 mats is no biggie as I have all the S4 nodes, the only one I probably do not have around 250 of is the new one. What gets me is the content gate: The blood collection and the final instance aggravate real world conditions for me and I am not about to trade that for a game item.

• Samnang.1879Samnang.1879 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Menadena.7482 said:

Thanks, I have no problem with dropping more gold (I have 3 paid accounts and the login rewards tend to pile up) or spending the time. Even the 250 mats is no biggie as I have all the S4 nodes, the only one I probably do not have around 250 of is the new one. What gets me is the content gate: The blood collection and the final instance aggravate real world conditions for me and I am not about to trade that for a game item.

which step we have to get 250 of map currencies?

Anet: give us in-game customizable human NPC companion please
    Please, no more balance changes, or at least reset our gears so we don't have to waste gold changing gears every time.
    Please have option to not receive bloodstone dusts, empyreal fragments, dragonite etc

• Gop.8713Gop.8713 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Crackmonster.2790 said:

Lets say you make a game, where you can buy everything. Does this not affect the game for everyone that wants to earn it?

yes it does, it's not always win/win as you want to make it look like, i love the things that take effort unless its waaaaaaaay over the top or requires commitment to raid groups. If it's just about me putting in effort myself, i'm all for it.

This is a really good point. One of the great strengths of gw2 is that it offers a variety of rewards that require different types of assets to unlock. So there are things for ppl who want to spend a lot, who want to invest a lot of time, who want to do competitive content or 'high-end' pve things, even rng-only items are great. All of these different means of acquisition are good for the game bc it emphasizes that having all the things isn't the goal. The point is to do the things you like and then enjoy whatever rewards follow . . .

What makes the new mount not quite fall into that category is that it is story related, and anet has made clear that story-related content is intended for everyone. Happily, they created no obstacle to that in this case, which is why I continue to be mystified by the complaints about it. The highest hurdle to overcome in this collection is just access to all the LS4 maps, and I haven't really seen anyone complain about that at all . . .

@Samnang.1879 said:

@Menadena.7482 said:

I think people have said it is the 4th one? That might be wrong though. In any case, I would look to party up with someone who has all the S4 nodes ... you will get them 3 times as fast as just buying them and the only gold you will spend is on the gathering tools.

• Samnang.1879Samnang.1879 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Menadena.7482 said:

@Samnang.1879 said:

@Menadena.7482 said:

I think people have said it is the 4th one? That might be wrong though. In any case, I would look to party up with someone who has all the S4 nodes ... you will get them 3 times as fast as just buying them and the only gold you will spend is on the gathering tools.

:rip:
    i guess i wont be rushing "troublesome skyscales" then... 250 of each map is A LOT....and am not casual...

Anet: give us in-game customizable human NPC companion please
    Please, no more balance changes, or at least reset our gears so we don't have to waste gold changing gears every time.
    Please have option to not receive bloodstone dusts, empyreal fragments, dragonite etc

@Gop.8713 said:

@Crackmonster.2790 said:

This is a really good point. One of the great strengths of gw2 is that it offers a variety of rewards that require different types of assets to unlock. So there are things for ppl who want to spend a lot, who want to invest a lot of time, who want to do competitive content or 'high-end' pve things, even rng-only items are great. All of these different means of acquisition are good for the game bc it emphasizes that having all the things isn't the goal. The point is to do the things you like and then enjoy whatever rewards follow . . .

What makes the new mount not quite fall into that category is that it is story related, and anet has made clear that story-related content is intended for everyone. Happily, they created no obstacle to that in this case, which is why I continue to be mystified by the complaints about it. The highest hurdle to overcome in this collection is just access to all the LS4 maps, and I haven't really seen anyone complain about that at all . . .

Yes, there is some content I plain refuse to do (like raids) .... however given the rewards do not affect me in PVE I do not mind as much. The frustrating thing about this though is it is targeted at what I do and is still out of reach because of a couple of design decisions that affect me in RL and did not have to be made. I am just hoping in the future none of the open world content gives you a leg up if you have either of the flying mounts so they stay a 'fun but not giving advantages' thing.

• Witch of Doom.5739Witch of Doom.5739 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 21, 2019

@Genesis.8572 said:
    I would say that contributing aspect of the frustration was that this future requirement was unknown but remained hidden behind the timegate. And people likely would have used their time during that timegate more efficiently had they known about this upcoming requirement.

Completely agree. Feeling very discouraged now.

Edited to add: My beef is not that we need currencies, it's that if we had been told about this while we were twiddling our thumbs during the Skyscale timegates, we could have been acquiring what we needed versus spending time on things that were not needed for the Skyscale.

BTW, if anyone wants to do the home node route to gathering the S4 mats let me know. I have all of S4, all of S3, the chests from the first expansion (need keys), the wintersday tree, and the Halloween node.

• Ototo.3214Ototo.3214 Member ✭✭✭

@Genesis.8572 said:
    I would say that contributing aspect of the frustration was that this future requirement was unknown but remained hidden behind the timegate. And people likely would have used their time during that timegate more efficiently had they known about this upcoming requirement.

This. I don't mind grinding these maps but would have liked to know I should be doing it when all I could do was feed the baby for 5 seconds each day this past weekend. Thankfully I thought this might be a requirement a few days ago and did start farming some, so I might actually be done today

• MoriMoriMori.5349MoriMoriMori.5349 Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 21, 2019

@Minna.7895 said:

What? Anything farm-related is strictly casual thing. As a gamer who likes challenge, I detest any kind of farming and give it wide berth whenever possible. Things like "kill a mob with 3 strikes, rinse-repeat 100500 times" are as casual as they come. I would really like to see Skyscale gated with content equivalent to raids or 4tier fractals in difficulty, then I would like to see how casuals feel about it :D

• ChronoPinoyX.7923ChronoPinoyX.7923 Member ✭✭✭

@Bobzitto.8571 said:

@ChronoPinoyX.7923 said:
    It's almost like playing the game is part of what gaming is about.

Oh, baby, cause I LOVE having to grind 6 different maps over multiple characters over multiple days. Super fun!

Oh look, you're playing the game. Just as intended. Fun? Maybe, maybe not. Playing it? Definitely.

• Knighthonor.4061Knighthonor.4061 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Blocki.4931 said:
    Implying that casuals are absoloutely unable to play on maps and get currency. 250 is not much. Half of that you can easily get in a single day without selling your life. Hint: This is not a race. If you are already on that step you must have rushed it from the start. That's not something a casual would do.

Yeah doubt most casuals have 6 hours a day to play. I just played all night and got lumps from 18 to 130. Using 10 characters and was a huge grindfest. That time couldn't have been spent doing meta events or WvW or something. But It would take months to unlock the mount that way.

@MoriMoriMori.5349 said:

@Minna.7895 said:

What? Anything farm-related is strictly casual thing. As a gamer who likes challenge, I detest any kind of farming and give it wide berth whenever possible. Things like "kill a mob with 3 strikes, rinse-repeat 100500 times" are as casual as they come. I would really like to see Skyscale gated with content equivalent to raids or 4tier fractals in difficulty, then I would like to see how casuals feel about it :D

Maybe I did not make myself clear on that one... Im casual timewise, not all that much else... I raid too, just not every week till lootcap... so 1k magnetite chards i would have stored just not grindy stuff like map currency. I usually play content i enjoy it the time i have, in that sense im casual... its not like i don't wanna put efford into obtaining a mount at all...but since when do mounts count as legendary weapons or something? (And even there you can usually buy the grindiest part and just have to do the other stuff)
    My limit on efford with stuff i don't enjoy was reached lets say on day3 or so.

• Ayrilana.1396Ayrilana.1396 Member ✭✭✭✭

On a positive note, this gives the older LS4 maps a little more relevance for the time being.

• Blacksarevok.8104Blacksarevok.8104 Member ✭✭
    edited May 21, 2019

i wish they gave some kinda heads up how progressively worse and worse the collection gets. im like 75% done but if knew i needed 20+ charged quartz and 250 of each map currency (which i consumed many of not too long ago because how tf was i suppose to know i would need for a goddang mount?) i would have not even started the collections to begin with.

but now that im close i feel obligated to finish and then take a few months off from the game

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.