Okay so you're reducing the collection timegate, but...

With the recipes requiering charged quartz, players get the chance to earn some gold via crafting. Since it is so easy to max out the crafting professions, time gated materials are probably the only way to make some money with crafting. People who are patient can still craft theirs over a longer period of time, people who dont need them can craft one daily for some profit and people who are impatient can buy them in the TP. I dont see whats bad about it. Its also the same thing as with the ascended materials like deldrimor steel or spiritwood planks.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@sirjarros.4107 said:I will never understand why the dev team thinks it's ever a good idea to gate highly desired content behind a limited and difficult to get item. Didn't you learn anything from the massive mistake of makiong Sigil of Nullification required for the Requiem gear??? STOP placing content behind ridiculous exclusive and hard to get items. It's not compelling or engaging content.

No, but it makes a compelling argument to their financials for Gem sales for Gems to Gold conversions.

@"Drecien.4508" said:How did they reduce the timegate?

They will be changing it from 24hrs to 2hrs on 28 May update - is in this link https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/77191/an-update-about-the-skyscale-acquisition

key point : For now, we’ve made a couple of changes in areas where players were engaging in content with competing goals. In the May 28 update, we’ll reduce the time between collection tiers from 24 hours to 2 hours, to reflect the passage of a full day in Tyrian time rather than in real world time. You’ll also be able to feed your skyscale four times a day instead of three, reducing the total number of days you need to feed your skyscale by one (assuming you feed them the maximum amount each day).

@Blocki.4931 said:It's still going to be over a week until they patch it so chop chop.

And I firmly believe most people won't have a shortage of charged quartz at all. A majority of people stuck with this game for many years and there aren't many sinks for it. Even I had 36 of them and all I ever did was farm the node every other day at the most.

Yep had 126 of them accumulated the same way.

@Linken.6345 said:

@Blocki.4931 said:It's still going to be over a week until they patch it so chop chop.

And I firmly believe
most people
won't have a shortage of charged quartz at all. A majority of people stuck with this game for many years and there aren't many sinks for it. Even I had 36 of them and all I ever did was farm the node every other day at the most.

Im not sure about that. I doubt people stockpile them since they have extremely few sources to drop directly, so people tend to make when they need rather than think ahead snd prep. There will be a fair few with enough, but id be surprised if its anywhere a majority esp with so many new and returning players

I had 156 in bank and havent charged any since before hot came out.OP were did they say they were reducing the collection times?

It's in the News and Announcements area of the forums. As for the charged quatz, I'd be glad to sell mine if we were able to sell them. I just went ahead and bought the food. frustrating, but I'll live. I wasn't aware until I looked it up that we actually had a need for those things anyway.

I sold most of my excess by crafting food and grow lamps

yeah, I just started to craft and sell the food ones myself as well to recoup the costs of buying them. I'm not going to do the same about the lamp though. I will just eat that cost.

Personally I just hate that they decided to go towards an outdate material from S2 maps for the final mount of S4. Why not a new 'lamp' item of sort, but that requires 500 of each of the T4 map currency, or I dunno, ANYTHING to do with S4??

Just like the Nullification debacle, they go to an outdated material that nobody would have ready access to, other than the TP (whose stock is depleted the instant the requirement becomes public), and is difficult to acquire afterwards.

Grow lamps have dropped in price a bit since early last week, but that still doesn't justify this terrible decision.

@PhantomGoddess.5174 said:

And I firmly believe
most people
won't have a shortage of charged quartz at all. A majority of people stuck with this game for many years and there aren't many sinks for it. Even I had 36 of them and all I ever did was farm the node every other day at the most.

Im not sure about that. I doubt people stockpile them since they have extremely few sources to drop directly, so people tend to make when they need rather than think ahead snd prep. There will be a fair few with enough, but id be surprised if its anywhere a majority esp with so many new and returning players

I had 156 in bank and havent charged any since before hot came out.OP were did they say they were reducing the collection times?

It's in the News and Announcements area of the forums. As for the charged quatz, I'd be glad to sell mine if we were able to sell them. I just went ahead and bought the food. frustrating, but I'll live. I wasn't aware until I looked it up that we actually had a need for those things anyway.

yeah, I just started to craft and sell the food ones myself as well to recoup the costs of buying them. I'm not going to do the same about the lamp though. I will just eat that cost.

Alot more people craft food then lamp so you get better return gold wise on the lamp mateEditearlier today food were about 1 gold each lamp was still 30 so 3 for each quartz

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:Personally I just hate that they decided to go towards an outdate material from S2 maps for the final mount of S4. Why not a new 'lamp' item of sort, but that requires 500 of each of the T4 map currency, or I dunno, ANYTHING to do with S4??

Just like the Nullification debacle, they go to an outdated material that nobody would have ready access to, other than the TP (whose stock is depleted the instant the requirement becomes public), and is difficult to acquire afterwards.

Grow lamps have dropped in price a bit since early last week, but that still doesn't justify this terrible decision.

Dont worry mate they got you covered with the saddle it needs 250 of each living world sesaon 4 currency

@Linken.6345 said:

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:Personally I just hate that they decided to go towards an outdate material from S2 maps for the final mount of S4. Why not a new 'lamp' item of sort, but that requires 500 of each of the T4 map currency, or I dunno, ANYTHING to do with S4??

Dont worry mate they got you covered with the saddle it needs 250 of each living world sesaon 4 currency

Oh, well, while that may seem like a lot, at least in my mind, it is justified given this collection is the S4 capstone. It isn't as if with Aurora you needed to supply Blade Shards or Pristine Toxic Spore Samples, which is my point...

At least S4 currency can also be earned by completing WvW/PvP reward tracks to supplement node farming.

@Linken.6345 said:

And I firmly believe
most people

Alot more people craft food then lamp so you get better return gold wise on the lamp mateEditearlier today food were about 1 gold each lamp was still 30 so 3 for each quartz

That calculation doesn't make sense. The Lamp requires other materials which make up a big part of its cost next to the charged quartz, unlike the food.

Gw2efficiency currently lists the Grow Lamp as around 15 gold (14 gold, 73 silver) to craft. Given the current TP price of around 33 - 38 gold resulting in 28 - 32 gold after taxes, that ends up being 13 - 18 gold profit and thus ends up being around 1.3 - 1.8 gold per charged Quartz.

Similar, Piece of Skyscale Food costs around 1.2 gold to craft and yields 3.15 -3.9 gold. Resulting in 1.47 - 2.11 gold per charged Quartz after TP tax and material cost.

EDIT: forgot the tax on the food item, bringing both items end value even closer together.

@Tyncale.1629 said:People that have Charged Quartz stocked are pretty hardcoreThat is just as inaccurate as the idea that anyone can easily get more charged quartz without waiting for reset.

There are a couple of reasons why some veterans will have hundreds in storage:

• Charged quartz used to drop in bulk briefly dropped in bulk from Wintersday Gifts; historically, it's dropped in somewhat higher quantities than now.
  • The home instance quartz node has been around since July 2013, 300 weeks, plenty of time to have dropped a stack or more of charged quartz.
  • There have been historical reasons to charge quartz (much as people crafted daily ascended mats), e.g. Celestial gear was popular at various periods.

In other words, the follow statements are all accurate:

• Some casual veterans have far more than enough charged quartz to profit from the demand and still have plenty for themselves.
  • Some hardcore newbies don't have the coin to buy their way past the c-quartz time gates.

edit: as @"Khisanth.2948" points out, the "bulk" drop rate for c-quartz was very brief and would be relatively low impact in the context of this discussion.

@Tyncale.1629 said:People that have Charged Quartz stocked are pretty hardcore imo and in no way represent the average population. Hardcore in this case meaning that they are aware of timegated content, know the potential value of stocking up on it for future use (either for gold or for themselves), and are most likely notorious harvesters, either in the Open World or their home instance. If you are none of those, but just happen to have accumulated lots of Charged Quartz in 6 years of playing, this at least means you play a LOT. You need 25 quartz for each Charged crystal and it's not that these Quartz nodes are everywhere.

Most people probably hardly ever come across the need for a Charged Quartz Crystal. I play quit a bit, I have a pretty full home instance(that I hardly ever harvest since it is SO boring) and I used to play in Dry top a lot for the Ambrite Collection, but I could not be bothered to harvest Quartz there either. Untill I decided to make Celestial armor and had to work through time-gated content. No problem for me, just saying that not everyone is so efficient and diligent when it comes to these aspects of the game.

People on these forums are also not representative for the population.

Btw, I am totally fine with the timegate.

I disagree. There are a number of sources of crystal, as stated in this thread winterdays is one. I might grant that people with more crystals might not have had a use for them and others might be just people that gather not knowing when materials might be needed. A number of forum posts have been about having more uses for more materials so Anet is just doing things that have been requested. The fact that it calls for materials that some people might have gathered and others not that's a player issue. Its not like the sources for these are gone either outside of not being wintersday. Players have also been asking for more reasons to visit older maps, again ANet is doing that. Read that charged crystal will be needed and first thought was, cool drytop event time.

I do not think that being a veteran automatically means you have;

a) participated in Wintersday events and opened up lots of presents; I play since day 1 and hardly ever participate in these events.b) earned/bought a quartz node for your home instance; lots of people can't be bothered with their instance and nodes;c) actually harvested that instance consistently;d) turned normal quartz into Charged quartz regularly;

I am sure lots of players had some need for a few Charged Quartz crystals at some point. However having a stock of Charged Quartz (rather then a bunch of regular Quartz crystals) in your material storage for me is an indication that you are a little more then just someone who played for a long time.

We probably could argue what we would consider a "stock" though. I had like 9 in my storage when I decided to make my first set of Celestial. I guess we could consider that a stock.

@TheGrimm.5624 said:I disagree. There are a number of sources of crystal, as stated in this thread winterdays is one.

So how abundant were those Charged Quartz crystals in those Wintersday Gifts? I participated some in the earliest events and must have opened at least 50 Wintersday gifts, but can not remember ending up with lots of Charged Quartz crystals.

@"Tyncale.1629" said:I do not think that being a veteran automatically means you have;

a) participated in Wintersday events and opened up lots of presents; I play since day 1 and hardly ever participate in these events.b) earned/bought a quartz node for your home instance; lots of people can't be bothered with their instance and nodes;c) actually harvested that instance consistently;d) turned normal quartz into Charged quartz regularly;

I am sure lots of players had some need for a few Charged Quartz crystals at some point. However having a stock of Charged Quartz (rather then a bunch of regular Quartz crystals) in your material storage for me is an indication that you are a little more then just someone who played for a long time.

We probably could argue what we would consider a "stock" though. I had like 9 in my storage when I decided to make my first set of Celestial. I guess we could consider that a stock.

Doesn't matter if you have 9 or 2000. You can go and acquire as many as you want. There is a time to be spent in collecting them, some people would have already paid that price in the past unknowingly and some people will have to spend that time now. This is in balance. I am not gathering green wood right now. If I encounter something that requires it I will have to go do so. I am not going to ask the requirement to be changed because I didn't have something I could have been collecting and just wasn't.

Oh, I am perfectly happy with the fact that I can make them myself, once a day. I am not in a hurry at all. I think it is good that they made the treats tradable, but not necessary for me.

My original post was a reaction to Blocky.4931 stating that "most players must have no shortage of those Charged quartz". I do not believe that.

@Tyncale.1629 said:

@TheGrimm.5624 said:I disagree. There are a number of sources of crystal, as stated in this thread winterdays is one.

So how abundant were those Charged Quartz crystals in those Wintersday Gifts? I participated some in the earliest events and must have opened at least 50 Wintersday gifts, but can not remember ending up with lots of Charged Quartz crystals.

Charged, low enough that I wouldn't recommend buying them, getting them from the event and finding one was a plus. There were a good number of crystals and Wintersday gets you enough crystals that you will want to make sure you are doing a conversion a day.

this is 1 of my biggest gripe with gw2 after hots. mind i jump in and out gw2 so not always playing it. everything now has some for of gate to it. this is for the new dragon mount. this is great for the ppl who play all the time, but me i'll never get it. it would be great to see them drop gates like this after a 6-9 month period and make stuff easy to get.

And I firmly believe most people won't have a shortage of charged quartz at all. A majority of people stuck with this game for many years and there aren't many sinks for it. Even I had 36 of them and all I ever did was farm the node every other day at the most.

Well if they ... never charged it from HP, doesn't mine the home instance node and sold all their ToT/Wintersday Gifts then having 0 would not be unusual no matter how long they have played.

@sirjarros.4107 said:I will never understand why the dev team thinks it's ever a good idea to gate highly desired content behind a limited and difficult to get item. Didn't you learn anything from the massive mistake of makiong Sigil of Nullification required for the Requiem gear??? STOP placing content behind ridiculous exclusive and hard to get items. It's not compelling or engaging content.

That is simple. The time gate is to stretch out the content.

Charged quartz itself is one of the many things to encourage people to log in daily.

It is also required for guild upgrades but you can also buy that item on the TP as well.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

• Charged quartz used to drop in bulk from Wintersday Gifts (it was actually a complaint, because there aren't many uses for it)

That was a bug that was fixed within about a week. They were dropping in place of the normal quartz.

@"Khisanth.2948" said:That was a bug that was fixed within about a week. They were dropping in place of the normal quartz.I forgot about that actually. I was thinking farther back, when it just had a higher drop rate generally. Maybe "bulk" is the wrong word. The current ratio is about 16 ordinary to 1 charged. My old records have it dropping more like 9:1. At those rates, if you opened up a lot of gifts (which people seemed to have done), then you'd end up with a lot of charged quartz.

Regardless, the point is: there are reasons why relatively casual players will have 1-3 stacks of charged quartz sitting around; it doesn't require being hardcore, which was the claim to which I was replying.

@Kylden Ar.3724 said:

No, but it makes a compelling argument to their financials for Gem sales for Gems to Gold conversions.

The difference with the SoN was that obtaining them was largely based on luck or pay the inflated rip off from the TP barons that bought up all the immediate stocks and resold almost immediately. Otherwise your only other guaranteed acquisition was to keep rerolling and levelling a toon over and over until you have enuff SoN's or get even luckier obtaining symbols of control and crafting them up at just as bigger cost.Quartz crystal is far easier to acquire and stock up while you make the one a day charged crystal.

EDIT - eek just noticed I replied to the wrong post.. should of been replied to @sirjarros.4107