Nevermind the Timegate, Farmgate is waaay worse

@Gop.8713 said:

@Crackmonster.2790 said:I get what you are saying i just wanna nitpick about one thing.

Lets say you make a game, where you can buy everything. Does this not affect the game for everyone that wants to earn it?

yes it does, it's not always win/win as you want to make it look like, i love the things that take effort unless its waaaaaaaay over the top or requires commitment to raid groups. If it's just about me putting in effort myself, i'm all for it.

This is a really good point. One of the great strengths of gw2 is that it offers a variety of rewards that require different types of assets to unlock. So there are things for ppl who want to spend a lot, who want to invest a lot of time, who want to do competitive content or 'high-end' pve things, even rng-only items are great. All of these different means of acquisition are good for the game bc it emphasizes that having all the things isn't the goal. The point is to do the things you like and then enjoy whatever rewards follow . . .

What makes the new mount not quite fall into that category is that it is story related, and anet has made clear that story-related content is intended for everyone. Happily, they created no obstacle to that in this case, which is why I continue to be mystified by the complaints about it. The highest hurdle to overcome in this collection is just access to all the LS4 maps, and I haven't really seen anyone complain about that at all . . .

I hear you, based on the initial threads it sounded like people couldn't access content. After doing the full play thru that was thrown out. In a lot of these threads its player creating issues for themselves. The games not applying pressure to them. If anything it makes Anet seem more justified with the timegates since without them people would have blown a gasket. If they didn't have rental skyscales and you couldn't progress the story until you had the collection than that would have been a bigger issue, but they made them available when needed. Will it be fun to see how they function on other maps, yes. Will I have to have them on other maps, not as of yet.

If this activity is causing you stress then step away and do something else. I am working thru it casually and no, not getting any this. Finished a step and needed to wail till reset, ok, I wanted to do some PvP and WvW always needs more time.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@"Blacksarevok.8104" said:i wish they gave some kinda heads up how progressively worse and worse the collection gets. im like 75% done but if knew i needed 20+ charged quartz and 250 of each map currency (which i consumed many of not too long ago because how tf was i suppose to know i would need for a goddang mount?) i would have not even started the collections to begin with.

but now that im close i feel obligated to finish and then take a few months off from the game

Many people have simply expected it because Aurora had the same requirement. People weren't upset at all to "be forced to play old maps", everybody loved it.

If they were transparent about the farm I think less people would have been upset about the time gate (not that it excuses it, 24 hour set hour time gates will always be awful design)

I don’t think in and of itself is bad, how limited the resources are is kind of a mini time gate on top of what we already experienced.

But playing maps isn’t an unreasonable demand, although 100 of each instead of a full stack would have been a bit more tolerable. Kinda wish A-net dropped 150 for first, second, and third wavers. (If you’re on the 4 wave you reasonably have enough notice by now to finish by the time you finish)

@Blocki.4931 said:

@"Blacksarevok.8104" said:i wish they gave some kinda heads up how progressively worse and worse the collection gets. im like 75% done but if knew i needed 20+ charged quartz and 250 of each map currency (which i consumed many of not too long ago because how tf was i suppose to know i would need for a goddang mount?) i would have not even started the collections to begin with.

but now that im close i feel obligated to finish and then take a few months off from the game

Many people have simply expected it because Aurora had the same requirement. People weren't upset at all to "be forced to play old maps", everybody loved it.

yeah but how many people expected a mount to be behind a legendary collection? not many i imagine

@"Blocki.4931" said:Implying that casuals are absoloutely unable to play on maps and get currency. 250 is not much. Half of that you can easily get in a single day without selling your life. Hint: This is not a race. If you are already on that step you must have rushed it from the start. That's not something a casual would do.

or if you are simply well prepared ;)

ImgurThat is from an account that hasn't even played any of LS4 and some of the items have been converted to VM.

Farming.. .meh

Think I want to be in maps for hour and hours wasting time on these things? When I can simply just do stuff I like to farm the gold.. and just use that to avoid this tedious mess.

Right.. so not wanting to farm.. means I don't like playing the game, Get out of here with that logic.

If I wanted to do something tedious of that nature I'd make a Gen 2 legendary or heck even Aurora.. but a kitten Mount? COME ON

@Gop.8713 said:

@Crackmonster.2790 said:I get what you are saying i just wanna nitpick about one thing.

Lets say you make a game, where you can buy everything. Does this not affect the game for everyone that wants to earn it?

yes it does, it's not always win/win as you want to make it look like, i love the things that take effort unless its waaaaaaaay over the top or requires commitment to raid groups. If it's just about me putting in effort myself, i'm all for it.

This is a really good point. One of the great strengths of gw2 is that it offers a variety of rewards that require different types of assets to unlock. So there are things for ppl who want to spend a lot, who want to invest a lot of time, who want to do competitive content or 'high-end' pve things, even rng-only items are great. All of these different means of acquisition are good for the game bc it emphasizes that having all the things isn't the goal. The point is to do the things you like and then enjoy whatever rewards follow . . .

What makes the new mount not quite fall into that category is that it is story related, and anet has made clear that story-related content is intended for everyone. Happily, they created no obstacle to that in this case, which is why I continue to be mystified by the complaints about it. The highest hurdle to overcome in this collection is just access to all the LS4 maps, and I haven't really seen anyone complain about that at all . . .

Actually one of the great strenghts was that you are able to pick your way to do it... not being forced to do specific grinds. (Play the way you want...remember?)Maybe I would have someday even enjoyed ls4 maps with a skyscale to explore them more, but surely not if im forced to grind them beforehand. TO GET A MOUNT, not a legendary item or anything- thats the issue here. Please stop comparing it to those.

@Khisanth.2948 said:

@"Blocki.4931" said:Implying that casuals are absoloutely unable to play on maps and get currency. 250 is not much. Half of that you can easily get in a single day without selling your life. Hint: This is not a race. If you are already on that step you must have rushed it from the start. That's not something a casual would do.

Imgur

That is from an account that hasn't even played any of LS4 and some of the items have been converted to VM.

Okay, how without ls4? Maybe I can make a way out of that for me... would appreciate tips just aswell to get these mats without setting foot on the maps (tradeable boxes that contain these?)

@Minna.7895 said:

@Gop.8713 said:

Actually one of the great strenghts was that you are able to pick your way to do it... not being forced to do specific grinds. (Play the way you want...remember?)When will people finally use this sentence as it was meant to be? It was never about specific rewards. We had dungeon skins from release that required specific dungeons and nobody complained about it. But it comes always up when people reeeally want specific rewards and don't want to do the requirements...

Why so much entitlement? Theres nothing anticasual about having to farm materials, this collection looks to me like the replacement for aurora so its bound to require work from all diff parts of season 4.

Furthermore, i though the problem was that timegate punished ppl who wanted to play at their own pace while this strictly doesnt.

I'm OK with this as Aurora (which was the big finale for LS3) also required 250 of each LS currency. This seems quite reasonable to me.

Although maybe if they're planning a similar big finale for LS5 they should announce it as an epic journey that requires all the previous episodes and will take many days to complete. Make sure people are well warned.

@Minna.7895 said:

Imgur

That is from an account that hasn't even played any of LS4 and some of the items have been converted to VM.

Okay, how without ls4? Maybe I can make a way out of that for me... would appreciate tips just aswell to get these mats without setting foot on the maps (tradeable boxes that contain these?)

Home instance nodes. I happen to be using the ones from my main account but I see people offering home instances in Rata Sum all the time and back when I was using the human home instance I saw people doing the same in Divinity's Reach. I believe someone in TTS does a similar thing in the reset Teq group. This is all on NA. No idea how things are like on EU servers.

Repeat reply from other thread: still shaking my head over reading about this today :angry:I now take back being one of the few that said "I have enjoyed the timegated collections for the Skyscale" . This having to go back and grind each map for the map currency at 250 a pop is uncalled for. I like many do not have any saved and stored. After using what I needed for mini's and such from the map, I used any left over to turn into VM. The mount does not do anything super magical for this much work to make it worth this much effort. At this point I would rather pay the 250g like the Griffon and be done with it. The excitement of getting closer to seeing my baby hatchling grow up to be a big girl is slowly fading.........................................................This just popped the daily excitement of doing the next steps of progression.

Well, to be honest, I was ok with the 24h time-gate. It gave me time to "grind" for the stuff I needed.

But that farmgate requires more than just 8-10h of playing. Even using PvP/WvW tracks, it takes at least 15 hours of playing with experience boosters to finish all of the reward tracks.

It would be nice if they'd lower it, by a lot. If not, even though I love the Skyscale and its mechanics, I'll just have to pass that content. If ANet's goal was to create endgame content through a finale with a mount, that, even if good, doesn't compare to how a Legendary Weapon works, I'm sorry but that content is not suited for me - and for most other players.

@Minna.7895 said:Okay, how without ls4? Maybe I can make a way out of that for me... would appreciate tips just aswell to get these mats without setting foot on the maps (tradeable boxes that contain these?)

Just look in LFG for someone with a full instance (or at least all the S4 nodes) shortly before reset. You can gather about 3 of each mat per day. Yes, it will take about 3 months but you should only need to set foot in the final map so is perfect if you do not have all the zones unlocked. If you want to reduce that time a little you can buy a 4th one a day from the central UM vendor, but then your cost goes up.

@"DigiQWill.6378" said:Well, to be honest, I was ok with the 24h time-gate. It gave me time to "grind" for the stuff I needed.

But that farmgate requires more than just 8-10h of playing. Even using PvP/WvW tracks, it takes at least 15 hours of playing with experience boosters to finish all of the reward tracks.

It would be nice if they'd lower it, by a lot. If not, even though I love the Skyscale and its mechanics, I'll just have to pass that content. If ANet's goal was to create endgame content through a finale with a mount, that, even if good, doesn't compare to how a Legendary Weapon works, I'm sorry but that content is not suited for me - and for most other players.

How is 8-15 hours of play, spread across as little as 1 day to as much as the rest of the game's lifespan is bad?

Pls im not buying the hour count, have you done the math?

@zealex.9410 said:

@"DigiQWill.6378" said:Well, to be honest, I was ok with the 24h time-gate. It gave me time to "grind" for the stuff I needed.

How is 8-15 hours of play, spread across as little as 1 day to as much as the rest of the game's lifespan is bad?

Pls im not buying the hour count, have you done the math?

15 hours done while having finals is what pushed it for me to be honest. I was able to grind through the first 4(?) parts relatively easily due to having some breathing time - and that means a maximum of 8 hours spent in total on the collection. I didn't quite do the mathematics on it, though. It could be upwards 30-40 hours, at least from my full-time PvPer perspective that has a measly 3 hours to play per day.According to their Skyscale philosophy, they reduced the time gates to 2 hours. With that on my mind, I do believe that 2 hours vs 10 days is rather a harsh time to deal with - especially since you can do all the other collections in just about that, 2 hours (maybe 3 to 4 hours if you aren't being optimal).I'm not splurting out numbers though, I'm simply stating experimental facts for completing reward tracks in PvP. That is, it usually takes me around 3 hours per day, for a bit more than a week, to finish a reward track to get the 250 tokens for each map. It just doesn't fit their mentality of "2 hours time gates now", or I am dearly mistaken somewhere.

(I think whilst I write, so I may be repeating myself or adding onto my arguments as I go along. Sorry if I'm confusing.)

Games are meant to be played. If you got the skyscale within 1 hour it would not be fun. The collections are good as it creates population in other zones and forces us to complete content we otherwise maybe would not have experienced. Also, it forces some people to buy season 4.

Good collection arenanet. Well done!

I made it a thing to farm the new map currency at the onset of a new episode. I think the clue to this was seeing a map currency vender in the new maps. o/ I also do timegated mats and charged quartz, and yes i'm casual.I don't get this either. I do my daily thang then get on with farming my GS, or doing wvw or doing RL stuff. I just completed aurora and that need 250 each of season threes currency. If I want some thing, I just follow what i need to do. If I really want to, I could complain about all the JP's coming up as they bring on my motion sickness a treat but I understand i can by pass this, so I don't- and therefore potentially don't spoil it for people who like them.However on my journeys during this mount I have come across some extremely helpful people who have helped, either by showing where something is or a portal. These people deserve some recognition on how helpful our community can be.Such a shame that this sort of thing won't happen again and kudos to the dervs who spent time and effort making this achievement. I for one appreciate it.

I believe it's easy for people to judge others, which is a shame.

My reasons as to why I hate this collection is because I spent a very long time on LS4 maps, I farmed the currencies, I farmed them for achievements (banner/armor), I farmed them for pets, I farmed them so I could convert them to volatile magic and buy crates with them to earn myself enough money to afford a legendary.That's what I did. I practically LIVED there for so long. Repeated hearts every day, repeated metas, kept it going for so long but I did it...and I afforded to buy many things for Nevermore this way.Decided I'd pile up some more gold lately by farming more of these currencies and converting them to volatile magic and then...BAM! Skyscale requiring me to get 250 of each from each map, meaning...more repetition, more farming to insanity, more repeatable metas, more hearts.

I believe you can understand why I simply loathe to return to this type of content now, as I earned my legendary that way.I want my dragon so I can enjoy new content properly, I want to ride the dragon through new map, complete achievements on new map and get meta achievement done that way, because I want to immerse myself with my dragon and enjoy.It was not so bad with the time-gating, but this slapped me pretty hard, turning my head 180 degrees honestly.At least for Charged Quartz people could just buy food off of TP and avoid time-gating that way...this has no other 'way around it', we can't purchase it with gems, we can't exchange other items for it without having to WAIT for daily reset again.

I'm a bit frustrated because I really thought I'd be done with the farming on these maps and just focus on new content, but nope...

...and to add, knowing this in advance would have helped so many of us to prepare while waiting out on daily resets for Skyscale.In the meantime we could have farmed the currencies and prepared ourselves for this. This is just wasted time, wasted days and overall annoyance.That's just how it made me feel now...

@"Dami.5046" said:I made it a thing to farm the new map currency at the onset of a new episode. I think the clue to this was seeing a map currency vender in the new maps. o/ I also do timegated mats and charged quartz, and yes i'm casual.I don't get this either. I do my daily thang then get on with farming my GS, or doing wvw or doing RL stuff. I just completed aurora and that need 250 each of season threes currency. If I want some thing, I just follow what i need to do. If I really want to, I could complain about all the JP's coming up as they bring on my motion sickness a treat but I understand i can by pass this, so I don't- and therefore potentially don't spoil it for people who like them.However on my journeys during this mount I have come across some extremely helpful people who have helped, either by showing where something is or a portal. These people deserve some recognition on how helpful our community can be.Such a shame that this sort of thing won't happen again and kudos to the dervs who spent time and effort making this achievement. I for one appreciate it.

About those helpful port people. Me and a friend were doing Griffinrook last night and there was a tag there that couldn't "figure it out", so me and the friend get to the top and I dropped a port for the tag. Not only did the tag not say TY to me, he accepted all emails and thanks from everyone else he ported up after getting to the top via my port. So, yeah, that sort of "helpful" makes me personally not want to be helpful.