The Skyscale Saddle

I now take back being one of the few that said "I have enjoyed the timegated collections for the Skyscale" . This having to go back and grind each map for the map currency at 250 a pop is uncalled for. I like many do not have any saved and stored. After using what I needed for mini's and such from the map, I used any left over to turn into VM. The mount does not do anything super magical for this much work to make it worth this much effort. At this point I would rather pay the 250g like the Griffon and be done with it. The excitement of getting closer to seeing my baby hatchling grow up to be a big girl is slowly fading.........................................................This just popped the daily excitement of doing the next steps of progression.

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@Eros.6801 said:Welp. Speaking of Jahai Bluffs alone, it took me 6 hours farming non-stop with 5 brand new characters to get 250 Mistonium. Thing is Jahai probably one of the easiest map to farm in. 15 mistonium from hearts + 25 from rifts + 25 from map completion (if available) + 5 per meta events (optional), so i can get the minimum of 40 Mistonium per character but 6 hours is alot and i haven't do so for a long while, pretty tired.

Idk what going to happen in other maps.

Time wise, your best bet is to farm home nodes ... either have them yourself or look for someone doing instance farming before reset. Yes, it will only be ~3 of each type per day, but you can not beat how much time it takes. If you are not in the HAVETOHAVEITNOW camp you can do whatever you want in gw2 and will have a full stack of each mat before the next ep comes out (plus plenty of UM for whatever you want .... oh, and the same for S3 things .... ascended stuff anyone).

@Eros.6801 said:Welp. Speaking of Jahai Bluffs alone, it took me 6 hours farming non-stop with 5 brand new characters to get 250 Mistonium. Thing is Jahai probably one of the easiest map to farm in. 15 mistonium from hearts + 25 from rifts + 25 from map completion (if available) + 5 per meta events (optional), so i can get the minimum of 40 Mistonium per character but 6 hours is alot and i haven't do so for a long while, pretty tired.

Idk what going to happen in other maps.

Mistonium is far easier to get than Difluorite Crystals at least. I needed 100 inscribed shards because I forgot I crafted the Commander Backpack recently and didn't stock up on them again. Took me 2 hours, doing 4 out of 5 hearts on 2 characters and joining meta whenever it was up while listening to a podcast. That is to say I didn't even try to be efficient while doing it. It was fun too. People should chill out a bit, there's no rush. Nobody can be the first anymore.

@"cptaylor.2670" said:I just want to know how we’re going to make a saddle out of these currencies. Do they magically run into leather after we combine them? Are we getting leather from somewhere else and bedazzling it with magic? 250 is insane.... especially when two of the maps give 5!!!!!!!! for map completion when all others give 25. Where is the consistency?

I want to thank you -- truly, not being sarcastic -- for the image of using a Bedazzler on this magic saddle. It will help sustain me in the coming weeks. I don't actually mind spending days or weeks getting the map currency, just wish we'd had a bit of a heads-up about the requirements but oh well.

It would have been fun if after Step 4 (which I haven't even gotten to yet) we received our Skyscale and then ridden it bareback as a very basic mount with no extra abilities. Completing Step 5 would have given us a Bedazzled Saddle and new abilities.

@Daishi.6027 said:I do wish vouchers gave resources for these maps, and there really needs to be a gold or gem based method to acquire these resources.

Seconded! Hey, Anet, how about at least updating the Tyrian Exchange vouchers to include S3/S4 currency?

Jahai Bluffs is going to be my home for a while, it seems. Since I always buy the home nodes, and the new currency farms fast (nodes everywhere) i've got enough of everything except Mistonium, because I was just getting close to finishing unlocking that armor set.

@"casualkenny.9817" said:Well iirc someone on forum was asking for a legendary Mount with legendary requirements...

If this as a mount worthy of the title "Legendary Mount" then I'd agree, but since it doesn't do anything I can't do with my springer and gryph I don't get why its SO grindy/costly. I mean fine, draw it out I guess, but this is a bit ridiculous.

@Blocki.4931 said:

@"Palador.2170" said:That sickening "crunch" you hear is many players slamming headlong into this barrier, especially the Mistborn Motes.

Also, how the HELL does this make sense? For the Roller Beetle, we brought in a few things and Gorrik managed to craft a floating, high-tech saddle for us. But the saddle for the creature we've shown we can ride without any saddle at all needs huge amounts of resources? From a storytelling front, this is absolutely horrid.

I have over a stack of them and I haven't even played for the last 4 days... All it takes is a couple meta events.

People have been getting the ascended trinkets, minis, tonics and armor skins for the currency. Not everyone has been hoarding like yourself. ;)

@DutchRiders.2871 said:You riding a dragon that allows you to fly, ofcourse it's going to cost you. It's way better then a legendary.

Having said that it will take a long time to farm that many mats.

Fly for a limited time and cannot re-up unless near a ledge, as opposed to a gryph that if flown right can gain altitude and also move way faster.

I'm just grateful that you can buy 25 pieces of Kralkatite Ore from the vendors so that it only took me two hearts to have 250 of them complete. The other currencies however are much more of a grind for me as there are only 5 distributed by each heart vendor which I don't quite understand why 25 of the Kralkatite or and 5 of every other. Why not 25 for all currencies?

@Cynder.2509 said:I'm just grateful that you can buy 25 pieces of Kralkatite Ore from the vendors so that it only took me two hearts to have 250 of them complete. The other currencies however are much more of a grind for me as there are only 5 distributed by each heart vendor which I don't quite understand why 25 of the Kralkatite or and 5 of every other. Why not 25 for all currencies?

Probably because Kralkatite is used as a crafting material.

Does map completion on LS4 maps reward you with a reasonable amount of map currency? Might be time to send the alts to the desert...

@Faaris.8013 said:Remember that you can do reward tracks in WvW and PvP to get the currency. Each completed reward track of the specific map will give you the choice to pick 50 of the currency. If you have 500 Potions of WvW Rewards in your bank, that's 300 currency of your choice. Or you simply do the reward track, which in case of Blood Rubies for Aurora was my choice ^^

Also, I rather do map completion with all characters than doing events. I think each completion gives 25. Plus, a chance to get a BLC key.

That's an interesting thought, I have 21 characters, I only need to do map completion on 10 each at that rate

@"Cragga the Eighty Third.6015" said:

@Cynder.2509 said:I'm just grateful that you can buy 25 pieces of Kralkatite Ore from the vendors so that it only took me two hearts to have 250 of them complete. The other currencies however are much more of a grind for me as there are only 5 distributed by each heart vendor which I don't quite understand why 25 of the Kralkatite or and 5 of every other. Why not 25 for all currencies?

Probably because Kralkatite is used as a crafting material.

Does map completion on LS4 maps reward you with a reasonable amount of map currency? Might be time to send the alts to the desert...

Hearts are still the faster route but it’s certainly an option if you dislike them. Map completion is the quicker route on the new map compared to doing the meta.

@Kal Spiro.9745 said:

@Faaris.8013 said:Remember that you can do reward tracks in WvW and PvP to get the currency. Each completed reward track of the specific map will give you the choice to pick 50 of the currency. If you have 500 Potions of WvW Rewards in your bank, that's 300 currency of your choice. Or you simply do the reward track, which in case of Blood Rubies for Aurora was my choice ^^

Also, I rather do map completion with all characters than doing events. I think each completion gives 25. Plus, a chance to get a BLC key.

That's an interesting thought, I have 21 characters, I only need to do map completion on 10 each at that rate

I found out that some maps only give 5 currency as completion reward, don't know exactly which ones though. And one map requires you to do a dwarven dungeon puzzle or buy the plate for 3 gold, or do both meta events, to get the annoying POI, that's Thunderkitten Peaks. Having done it with another character doesn't help.

Next they’ll be discounting the AP rewards. I’m at 29,500 points. Don’t cheapen my radiant chest piece! So, there’s a set recipe on getting the season 4 reward? Work for it. Have fun. Post in chat when you get it like a legendary. Frack, I’d rather it only go to the die hards anyway.

Fortunately, I "only" need to farm 4 out of the 6 maps, but alas, I couldn't even finish my fifth run through those today, because it was so aggrevatingly tedious.

I recall passing through some of those maps for an earlier collection the other day, thinking, "Thank God I never have to do those hearts again!" Talk about irony. :s

.P.S. While I enjoy some of the hearts, like the one where you talk to the three parties in Jahai, most are just chores and include no intellectual involvement whatsoever, not even on a basic level (jump up, grab food, jump down, give it to NPC, or just go kill tons of mobs and the like).

@"Klipso.8653" said:I dont understand how anyone doesn't already have almost 1k of each of these saved up

I explained earlier how: first you spend them on everything there is to acquire on the map (armor sets, weapons skins, recipes, minis, tonics), then you go, "Finally! I am done here for good," and start consuming the currency from thereon. See? Easily not saved up. ;)

+1 to reducing the cost to max 100 of each resource fast before people reach the step. This is crazy.I mean i'll do it, but i sure don't enjoy that it's a long farm overall more work than i think astralaria which was the only legendary collection i wanted to do(minus the materials costs). With astralaria i really loved it, means won't see that many with it - here im thinking it's a hassle because it's a mount. Am i crazy? dunno, feels humongous with 250 of each though. Stuck with ya through the timegate, np. But i never enjoyed farming those timegated materials on living season. And i was so glad i thought i was done with accessories.

If you keep this the damn mount better be freaking good at the end. Ferrari style. If it's really good or cool i'll be fine with this. But if its nothing special ARG!

With this level of farm, it's definitely come a gap between newer and older players, it's harder to get into the game get on level.

@"Klipso.8653" said:I dont understand how anyone doesn't already have almost 1k of each of these saved up with how long these maps have been out.

Even the new map they just released- I've already got over 400, and I'm not even grinding it.

Not everybody plays primarily open world content.

I luckily had a couple hundred PvP and WvW portions stacked up to boost reward tracks to fill up on what I was missing, as I'm generally just doing the story and map completion once or twice upon release, as well as once checking out the events around the map. Otherwise I would have been pretty screwed, having to grind out those mind numbing hearts or what have you in open world for who knows how many times.

People play different content and have access to different resources. People who mainly Raid/play fractals or do PvP or WvW, but still want access to the mount to enjoy it for a bit and to explore future content with, are in a very different boat than people who just run through the open world every day gathering and doing hearts or repeatedly zerging metas.

If a next mount were to require mass amounts of things like Cosmic Essences, Magnetite Shards and Gaeting Crystals and such, I imagine a very different crowd of the game would suddenly be upset while others just shrug and say it's fine. It just seems hard to empathize for people who aren't affected themselves.

Regardless of who is being affected with grinds due to the content that is required to unlock a core functionality like a mount, I think it's an issue that a gameplay feature like a mount feels a lot less "optional" than something like a legendary trinket, which is mostly just a cosmetic plus some QoL with stat changing.GW2's philosophy has always been about not making people wait to have fun as well as making gameplay features easy to get, with optional grinds relegated to purely cosmetic and/or minor QoL features.

If the new philosophy is to grind for even base gameplay features with cosmetics from the gemstore, that's quite unfortunate.

I still think the mount itself should have been just 1 or 2 of those collections without timegates, with the rest being for some purely optional unique skin for it, for you to "raise" up yourself.

GW2 used to be the escape from these needless grinds and timegates for gameplay features, boasting a quality game for you to simply enjoy on your own terms.If future content keeps being locked away behind collections as lengthy as this, I'm not sure for how long I'm going to bother.

All of this is quite the departure from let's say the Warclaw, which literally took me 40 minutes to unlock.