What is up with ranked matchmaking?

Matchmaking has been terrible. I keep on getting grouped with scrubs. I'm getting zerged and they still can't down the lower number of people that they're all fighting halfway across the map. Also, I'm like 90% certain there's some cheaters. When I queue, it says I can only queue single or double, not a full party but the amount of coordination I've been seeing on the other side of my matches feels frustrating.

Either the placement matches matched me too high by placing me at the bottom of gold tier or it keeps matching me with awful players and/or cheating opponents. I actually got grouped against the same exact group once that was showing ungodly coordination, and asked them how it feels to cheat and they flat out stopped playing and let us win. That made me really suspicious.

In any case, i'd like a 50% win rate, especially if I'm not placed in bronze tier. Obviously I'm not complete trash if I was placed at the bottom of gold after my placement matches. (and I did well in my placement matches. ~60% win rate)

@Firebeard.1746 said:Matchmaking has been terrible. I keep on getting grouped with scrubs.

2019, Bronze/silver pop in PVP is slim to none... Ppl get to bronze/silver only thru decay... Gold is the new bronze... And competent players always stay in plat.... I'm gold btw X) ... once you compare your gameplay with how top players play in twitch streams, you'd get to realize the hard truth.... :s

And ppl in gold should never address their team as scrubs... Coz that'd be awkward... :p

Either the placement matches matched me too high by placing me at the bottom of gold tier or it keeps matching me with awful players and/or cheating opponents.

This happens to everyone... Especially if you try to spam pvp continuously

I actually got grouped against the same exact group once that was showing ungodly coordination, and asked them how it feels to cheat and they flat out stopped playing and let us win. That made me really suspicious.

New case... Never heard of it... Maybe someone in opposite team DC'd?

I don't call them scrubs in game, it's what I'm thinking ; ). And tbh, if you can't duel effectively at your skill level, then you kinda are. I'm not talking about killing every opponent 1v1. I'm talking about at least killing them half the time and if you outnumber, it goes fast. I'm just incredibly frustrated that the matchmaking is so bad my win rate has dipped significantly below 50%. I'd be having more fun if I wasn't constantly losing.

And no, they didn't DC. Only two of their players actually did anything. And they were just trolling.

@Firebeard.1746 said:I don't call them scrubs in game, it's what I'm thinking ; ) I'm just incredibly frustrated that the matchmaking is so bad my win rate has dipped significantly below 50%. I'd be having more fun if I wasn't constantly losing.

Try giving it a break.... Go do pve or unranked for 30mins, drink some water ;) then queue ranked... Luckily you might get matched with equal skilled opponents

@Crystal Paladin.3871 said:

@Firebeard.1746 said:I don't call them scrubs in game, it's what I'm thinking ; ) I'm just incredibly frustrated that the matchmaking is so bad my win rate has dipped significantly below 50%. I'd be having more fun if I wasn't constantly losing.

Try giving it a break.... Go do pve or unranked for 30mins, drink some water ;) then queue ranked... Luckily you might get matched with equal skilled opponents

Well I was hoping to farm for legendary armor mats. I don't think my schedule really supports PVE raiding and I dont' think I have time to be super social, my life is chaotic but my play time tends to be bunched together in spurts and not necessarily at the same time. I kind of got in late to the game too on this season, so I'm afraid I don't have time to do other stuff and still play enough matches to at least complete the highest season chest. I was going to leave ascended shard farming for a season I wasn't late to.

@Crystal Paladin.3871 said:

@dominik.9721 said:being placed bottom gold, literally means you are trash

See.... This guy is legendary... He has the right to call names and such :pPVP not only happens ingame.... But in forums too... ;)

To be honest, I don't play games to be insulted or insult other people. See I wasn't calling any specific person trash, I was saying I keep getting paired with bad players. I think it's bad form to be directly negative to someone in a game that is intended to be social. I don't call my team mates noobs, etc in the chat, even when we're losing and screw his rank, it doesn't give him a right to be rude.

I have plenty of complaints about matchmaking - and have posted about them a couple of times - so I do understand your frustration. I still stand by my contention that far too many matches (win or lose) are blowout wastes of time (IMO > 150 pt differential) where the losing team is behind the whole time and has no realistic chance of competing. That's just not fun for anyone, even if you're relieved to be on the winning side. I also get mired in bad losing streaks every season that make me wanna pull my hair out, which is also rough. So again, been there, will be again, and I feel you.

I try not to blame teammates (note the "try," as I unfortunately don't always succeed, and have more often than I would like regretted things I've chatted later). One of the helpful things I try to keep in mind is a post someone made awhile ago about the different aspects of pvp people can excel or be weak at. Examples might be point rotation, 1v1 ability, team organization, calling targets, dealing damage, secondary mechanics, awareness of other classes, etc. At the top tier you can reasonably expect the players to have few chinks in their armor - they understand and excel at all or almost all facets of pvp. But as you get lower in the ranks you'll find people who may be amazing at one thing, but weak at others, or pretty good at a few things but not great at any, and so on. MMR is, as we know, a crude way at best to make teams, and it for sure can't account for playstyles. Two players can each be doing the thing they do well, that has, in their mind, led them to prior success, that totally counteract each other strategically and lead them each to get mad at how "bad" the other one is. I try to believe that when you see a team that just effortlessly rolls in a game, outside of cheating or an MMR-based issue like a brand-new player, it's often because those 5 people have very complementary skillsets, or ones that happen to counter very well the situations they face. Individually, they may be about as "good" as each opponent, but the way in which they are good meshes to form a true team, something MMR can't control.

Again, I try to be bighearted about it like this, but... 5 losses in a row with 2 DCs and a hard throw try the best of my serenity.

Maybe someone else knows the thread I mentioned and can link it? I couldn't find it, but it's a good read.

@Firebeard.1746 said:Matchmaking has been terrible. I keep on getting grouped with scrubs. I'm getting zerged and they still can't down the lower number of people that they're all fighting halfway across the map. Also, I'm like 90% certain there's some cheaters. When I queue, it says I can only queue single or double, not a full party but the amount of coordination I've been seeing on the other side of my matches feels frustrating.

Either the placement matches matched me too high by placing me at the bottom of gold tier or it keeps matching me with awful players and/or cheating opponents. I actually got grouped against the same exact group once that was showing ungodly coordination, and asked them how it feels to cheat and they flat out stopped playing and let us win. That made me really suspicious.

In any case, i'd like a 50% win rate, especially if I'm not placed in bronze tier. Obviously I'm not complete trash if I was placed at the bottom of gold after my placement matches. (and I did well in my placement matches. ~60% win rate)

I can only speak from my experience. I played ranked only 2 seasons. Both ended placement matches 7-3. Both times I was placed in P1. Second time I was almost P2 off the gates, like 1580.

Generally speaking, 1400 is the line for 50% (give or take). 5 wins and 5 loses should put you in G3. P1 is about 55% win rate. P2 about 65%.

Again, do not quote me on this. This my personal experience and what I have seen from other players input before.