Game crashes at the end of Descent

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Similar problem but I got to 75% on the torment - then nothing, branded kept appearing I kept killing them, but the torment was never targetable after - I thought if I died I could restaret from a checkpoint but could even tab out and watch videos or come onto this forum, die and be ressed by aurene so that - does the fact that the meta had started influence this? Anyway have to try again - or wait until bugs are sorted.

Not quite, I can't chat, use any skills, open any menus, close the game, it just crashes with a system dialogue box. Figure I'll try again after the next fix.I'm running the game through Steam with Proton, I'm running Ubuntu. I expect that has a lot to do with it. Honestly, I feel pretty lucky that this is the first time something like this has come up for me, but it's kind of a big deal not being able to see the end of the story, and not being able to start the skyscale collections.

I had the same thing happening. I didn't close the game as my cat jumped in my lap, next thing I know, it was some big light (I guess the heart exploding) that tool about 20 seconds, then cut directly in the end scene with Aurene saying "share it with all of you".Also lots of "discovered" during the Descent, without saying precisely what. Also "we're blood brother's now". Nobody checks the script for this kind of errors?

@Glory.6918 said:same problem here after stabbing the heart it explode but just keep freezing it wont go into that cut seen.

Are you running linux too or are you on Windows? Wondering if it's just an issue with unsupported OS or if it's a bigger issue. Hoping it's on Windows too, otherwise I don't see a fix coming.

I too am playing on Linux, so not sure if it's the setup I use or game specific.

First time playing the instance I got to see a cut scene, but it ended on a blackscreen and a crash. The next 3 times the game froze before the cutscene was supposed to happen.To play GW2 on Ubuntu I used the installer setup from I too am playing on Linux, so not sure if it's the setup I use or game specific.

First time playing the instance I got to see a cut scene, but it ended on a blackscreen and a crash. The next 3 times it crashed before the cutscene was supposed to happen. Before the third redo I did let the client "repair" my game after having skipped that step the first 2 times (It asked me each time).

To play GW2 on Ubuntu I used the installer setup from this thread this thread which runs quite well except for an occasional crash before, but never after entering a story instance (e.g. when loading a regular map).

More details in this post.

@happyday.1503 said:

@Glory.6918 said:same problem here after stabbing the heart it explode but just keep freezing it wont go into that cut seen.

Are you running linux too or are you on Windows? Wondering if it's just an issue with unsupported OS or if it's a bigger issue. Hoping it's on Windows too, otherwise I don't see a fix coming.

Yes playing guildwars 2 on linux here through wine and playonlinux a graphic environment for wine. have installed a later version of wine a few days ago so i should retake the last episode again and see if i still get the freeze

I've had 0 issues with this part of the game, I will try to run this a few times on my systems and will report back to you. In the mean time let's try to go by elimination by checking a few possible causes for this.

In terminal run these 2 commands (case sensitive):ulimit -Hnulimit -Sn

They both will output a number, could you please post it here?

Test Report #1:Played through the 'Descent' chapter till the end. No issues encountered.System Specs: Ryzen 1700X, 16GB Ram, GTX 1060 6GB (drivers v418.52.05) - Distro: Debian 9This test was done using WineD3D (OpenGL), not with the new D9VK.

Test Report #2:Again played through the entire chapter twice without any issues.System Specs: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, 8GB Ram, GT 1030 2GB (drivers 418.52.03) - Distro: Xubuntu 19.10This test was ran twice using using both WineD3D (OpenGL) and D9VK.

So far all 3 tests have completed successfully.

@happyday.1503 said:ulimit -Hn = 4096ulimit -Sn = 1024System Specs: Intel G3258, 12GB RAM, 750TI (nvidia driver 390.116), Proton 3.7-8 and Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTSThanks for your input @"ArmoredVehicle.2849"

Those values on the ulimit are most likely the reason of the freezes, for Wine gaming (and Proton) they need to be much higher. Check out the Troubleshooting section over here: https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/31192/playing-guild-wars-2-on-linux-performance-optimizations-and-more/p1?new=1

I wrote a small guide how to increase those limits, let me know if you get stuck, will try my best to help.

AS I already mentioned here and in the other thread; my game also freezes before the cutscene.uLimit -Hn = 1048576uLimit -Sn = 1048576

System= [WineD3D setup by @"ArmoredVehicle.2849" version 1.6.2_nvidia](https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/31192/playing-guild-wars-2-on-linux-performance-optimizations-and-more/p1 "WineD3D setup by @"ArmoredVehicle.2849" version 1.6.2_nvidia")Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTSIntel I5 6500, 3GB KFA2 GeForce GTX 1060 (Driver 390.116), 8 GB DDR4-2133Played mission ~10 times. First time playing crashed onto a blackscreen AFTER the cutscene, afterwards always froze BEFORE the cutscene.

I just retried the mission 2 times more with graphics settings changed to "best performance" and now get a crash report instead of just a freeze.h3R2uwD.jpgUnfortunately I am unable to copy the crash report with Ctrl+C. I did a couple of screenshots, but I don't want to upload/crop each of them unless it would really help.

So I found a temporary folder created by GW2 with the 'bink2w64.dll', most likely has something to do with the crash (there's a cutscene after the heart is destroyed). It's late so it will have to wait until tomorrow.

Also, can you please post the full path where did you unpack the game? As in "/home/user/games/GW2" etc.... Although unlikely such a thing would matter, there however may be a tiny detail which I suspect may cause an issue.

hey my values from are uLimit -Hn = 1048576 and ulimit -Sn = 1024 however i was missing some 32 bit dependence when i launched play on Linux have installed that have not tried the story yet and see if that could have been the case for me here. i think i can check that out tomorrow when i have more time playing on linux mint 19.1 12 gb ram playonlinux wine version 4.7 -stagging amd 5700 with radoon grafic card