The Skyscale Saddle

@Blood Red Arachnid.2493 said:

@Cyninja.2954 said:I don't care why people don't have the material when they have gotten advantages in the past. It's a trade off and it matters. Obviously there was good reasons for people to not save materials. Otherwise no one would be so hurt about not having any.

You mean to tell me that you've spent the past two hours nitpicking every little thing I've said over a topic that you don't care about? I.E. the
one
thing I posted? Quit jerking my chain. I'm tired of this stupid little game of yours.

That's not what I said. I said I don't care about your arguments as to why people don't have the materials simply because I consider the benefits they gained in the past adequate enough.

That doesn't make sense.

Going to quote myself:

• If you gathered the materials in the past and spent the materials, you had your benefit then.
  • If you did not gather the materials in the past, you need to gather them now. You get to decide what to spend those materials on and if it's worth it to get the mount and at what pace.
  • If you gathered the materials in the past and saved them, you get to not have to gather them now (and have to gather more for all the items you did not get in the past).

At some point in time, every player needs to gather the required materials for the collection. I don't care if people now have buyers remorse about spending their resources in the past. I care even less about players who didn't gather the materials in the first place.

The collection requires 250 of all T4 map resources from everybody.

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@Cyninja.2954 said:

Going to quote myself:

• If you
    gathered the materials in the past
    and spent the materials,
    you had your benefit then
  • If you did
    not gather the materials in the past, you need to gather them now.
    You get to decide what to spend those materials on and if it's worth it to get the mount and at what pace.
  • If you
    gathered the materials in the past and saved them
    , you get to
    not have to gather them now
    (and have to gather more for all the items you did not get in the past).

At some point in time, every player needs to gather the required materials for the collection. I don't care if people now have buyers remorse about spending their resources in the past. I care even less about players who didn't gather the materials in the first place.

Let me quote myself:

@Blood Red Arachnid.2493 said:It's pretty silly to expect players to have full stacks of every currency just sitting in their bank.List of reasons whyReally, what we're hearing are the pack rats and paranoid taking a condescending victory lap.

Everything you just said and have been saying is completely irrelevant to what I said. Players do not have the mats. Period. Any argument to the contrary is immediately defeated by the hoards of players saying they don't have the mats in game, and on social media. Whether you feel the cosmic scoreboard emotionally validates you doesn't change the fact of the matter. It does no good to argue against the self-evident. If you cannot understand why people don't have the mats, then I've already explained to you why. If you can, then there's nothing left to discuss on the matter. If you want to talk feelings, call a therapist.

Going to quote myself:
  • If you
    and spent the materials,
  • If you did
    You get to decide what to spend those materials on and if it's worth it to get the mount and at what pace.
  • If you
    , you get to

Let me quote myself:

@Blood Red Arachnid.2493 said:It's pretty silly to expect players to have full stacks of every currency just sitting in their bank.List of reasons whyReally, what we're hearing are the pack rats and paranoid taking a condescending victory lap.

Everything you just said and have been saying is completely irrelevant to what
I
said. Players do not have the mats. Period. Any argument to the contrary is immediately defeated by the hoards of players saying they don't have the mats in game, and on social media. Whether you feel the cosmic scoreboard emotionally validates you doesn't change the fact of the matter. It does no good to argue against the self-evident. If you cannot understand why people don't have the mats, then I've already explained to you why. If you can, then there's nothing left to discuss on the matter. If you want to talk feelings, call a therapist.

I covered how people could have been prepared.

Fine, people don't have the materials. So?

Play the game and get them.

Or not and don't have the mount.

The amount of instant gratification desire and the constant complaints from people unwilling to play the game for the rewards they want has never been a strong argument in my book.

Back when the Griff on released, people freaked out about 250 gold requirement.Back when the Requiem armor released, people were freaking out about how unjust it was and that all they wanted is a way to work towards it at their own pace.Now people freak out that given the ability to work towards the mount at their own pace, without the TP, they don't have it instantly.The 1 constant is people want stuff. Period.

Going to quote myself:
  • If you
    and spent the materials,
  • If you did
  • If you
    , you get to

Let me quote myself:

I
said. Players do not have the mats. Period. Any argument to the contrary is immediately defeated by the hoards of players saying they don't have the mats in game, and on social media. Whether you feel the cosmic scoreboard emotionally validates you doesn't change the fact of the matter. It does no good to argue against the self-evident. If you cannot understand why people don't have the mats, then I've already explained to you why. If you can, then there's nothing left to discuss on the matter. If you want to talk feelings, call a therapist.

I'm confused, how is people not having the materials a problem?

@yann.1946 said:

Going to quote myself:
  • If you
    and spent the materials,
  • If you did
  • If you
    , you get to

Let me quote myself:

I

Not having the materials = have to farm the materials = have to spend time in the game working towards something that they believe should be granted, instant gratification. No instant gratification = big problem.

@Cyninja.2954 said:Fine, people don't have the materials. So?

Play the game and get them.

Or not and don't have the mount.

The amount of instant gratification desire and the constant complaints from people unwilling to play the game for the rewards they want has never been a strong argument in my book.

Back when the Griff on released, people freaked out about 250 gold requirement.Back when the Requiem armor released, people were freaking out about how unjust it was and that all they wanted is a way to work towards it at their own pace.Now people freak out that given the ability to work towards the mount at their own pace, without the TP, they don't have it instantly.The 1 constant is people want stuff. Period.

FacepalmI don't want to sound rude, but...would you really say something like this had you....say, lived in LS4 maps, farmed these currencies to get gold and buy legendary? Now naturally, one would NEVER assume that a mount would require a 'legendary' collection, a mount that is even worse than griffon! Not only does it cost a ton to get it, but it also requires a horrible amount of grinding.Now if you take my case for example, I lived on these maps and farmed, got Nevermore that way as I bought so many materials for it thanks to Volatile Magic and Leather crates.Why the heck...would I save up these currencies knowing they'll never be used for anything except legendaries? (Aurora I am looking at you)Logically, one would convert them, get gold and get things a person likes, right? I had no interest in any other legendary after Nevermore, so it's only natural I focused on gold hoarding, only to get slapped with this grind, meaning I have to go back and repeat EVERYTHING over and over and over and over and over...whereas I did achievements and everything of interest there. I don't want to be forced to do this, but I am being forced because I want Skyscale. I got this far and I have to torment myself now to complete these hearts which I loathe so much.Anyone would get fed-up had they done them as much as I have.Judge all you want, but all of us have a different way of playing and a little understanding would be appreciated. I could do better things in game instead of grinding these currencies which I've done nth times.

Nobody would complain had Skyscale been more superior to griffon, at least I know I wouldn't, as that way it would be a reward worthy of this mess.Right now it is not worthy of this mess, yet people still want it because it's a dragon, naturally. It's no wonder a lot of people complain about it though, it's worse than most of the mounts that we have and it drops from air faster than griffon.

@"bOTEB.1573" said:

Going to quote myself:
  • If you
    and spent the materials,
  • If you did
  • If you
    , you get to

Let me quote myself:

I

Not having the materials = have to farm the materials = have to spend time in the game working towards something that they believe should be granted, instant gratification. No instant gratification = big problem.

It's not about instant gratification, even by just glancing over the posts that complain about having to farm the needed currency would have told you that.It's about playing a part of the game that some ppl are burned out of playing. The map's rewards already required farming a lot and now there's an entire stack on top of it, that is acquired by repeating tasks over and over again. Of course, it's basically playing the game but that does not necessarily mean, that's fun.

@Arzurag.7506 said:

@"bOTEB.1573" said:

Going to quote myself:
  • If you
    and spent the materials,
  • If you did
  • If you
    , you get to

Let me quote myself:

I

It's not about instant gratification, even by just glancing over the posts that complain about having to farm the needed currency would have told you that.It's about playing a part of the game that some ppl are burned out of playing. The map's rewards already required farming a lot and now there's an entire stack on top of it, that is acquired by repeating tasks over and over again. Of course, it's basically playing the game but that does not necessarily mean, that's fun.

AKA these players don't want to play this part of the game, but still want the mount. In other words they don't want to put the effort and want it (the farm) either removed (gratification) or skipped by gold.

Lets not forget the big thread that basically was telling everyone that:"You don't understand us - we don't mind working towards the collection, we can't work towards it because the time gates are keeping it locked."In other words people wanted to work for the mount and just somehow reduce the time gates. Now, when the time gates will be reduced, these same people are contradicting themselves by saying that they no longer want to even put the efforts of working towards the mount and want to put even less efforts.There is already a post about skipping most of the collection with gold - we both know that.

@"bOTEB.1573" said:Players are steadily moving to instant gratification request. This thread is the step before you want to buy the mount with gold (and there is a thread about that BTW). And after that is the instant gratification, because players won't stop here - they didn't stop after ANET said they will reduce the time gates :)

I have to look at that thread but I would not call that an unreasonable request. Players likely just want to earn their mount their own way.

@Menadena.7482 said:

@"bOTEB.1573" said:Players are steadily moving to instant gratification request. This thread is the step before you want to buy the mount with gold (and there is a thread about that BTW). And after that is the instant gratification, because players won't stop here - they didn't stop after ANET said they will reduce the time gates :)

I have to look at that thread but I would not call that an unreasonable request. Players likely just want to earn their mount their own way.

Don't you think that this adds P2W elements? The fact that you call it reasonable (you and some other players) is sad.

The Skyscale collection is perfect for a Legendary item.The Skyscale is a mount.The Raptor is a mount. The Springer is a mount. The Skimmer is a mount. The Jackal is a mount. The Griffon is a mount. The Beetle is a mount.

None of them are legendary items.The Skyscale is not a legendary item.

None of the previous mounts required anything close to the amount of work the Skyscale asks. None of those mounts were available 'instantly', or 'without work'....just the work required to get them pales in comparison to that of the Skyscale.

This is the issue. This is largely why many people are upset / disappointed.

Just to be clear, if you are defending this collection, you are defending ANET treating the Skyscale, a mount decidedly inferior to the Griffon, like a Legendary item. Nobody who has the Skyscale will use it anywhere near the same amount of time they do the Griffon, simply because it is a niche mount, akin to the Springer and Skimmer, yet the task of acquiring of it resembles the trek to gaining a purple item.

I think that's silly, but you are entitled to your opinion. But don't dismiss other people for being upset over something that clearly doesn't make sense. Had the collection to acquire the Skyscale been similar to the Beetle or even the Griffon, there would still be complaints (there always are) but not on this scale, and they would be relatively unjustified based on what ANET has done in the past.

All anyone does is compare this to the Aurora collection, except again, Aurora is a legendary item, while the Skyscale is a inferior version of the Griffon. Using the same scale of collection for both Aurora and Skyscale isn't reasonable or justified, and nobody should be surprised that players are unhappy with it, even those who might have 8 legendaries, 30K AP and who spend 40hrs a week in game.

@"bOTEB.1573" said:

@"bOTEB.1573" said:

Going to quote myself:
  • If you
    and spent the materials,
  • If you did
  • If you
    , you get to

Let me quote myself:

I

AKA these players don't want to play this part of the game, but still want the mount. In other words they don't want to put the effort and want it (the farm) either removed (gratification) or skipped by gold.

Lets not forget the big thread that basically was telling everyone that:"You don't understand us - we don't mind working towards the collection, we can't work towards it because the time gates are keeping it locked."In other words people wanted to work for the mount and just somehow reduce the time gates. Now, when the time gates will be reduced, these same people are contradicting themselves by saying that they no longer want to even put the efforts of working towards the mount and want to put even less efforts.There is already a post about skipping most of the collection with gold - we both know that.

Are we talking about a legendary or a mount here?Oh wait...we are talking about a mount that is actually worse than griffon, but requires a ton more time, effort and even gold to get it!Complaints are justified, as people are getting a mount that can hover, but is worse than griffon in every other way; the reason why people want is because it's a dragon, which is natural anyone would want it.People want it for skin...a skin that is locked behind a legendary grind, basically.

Now, grind aside, as I keep repeating in my posts, I believe I'd be fine with this, had I not killed myself farming these currencies before. I used to live in LS4 maps for a very long time.Now I have to do it again?It's natural I will voice my complaint, because I am very demotivated to do it all over again. The endless repetition, whereas I could spend my time in new map and have fun exploring it with my very own Skyscale...but nope...

@Cyninja.2954 said:

@totaloverride.3240 said:this mount better be flying like a plane.bcs, while testing it in DF map, i think griffon is better by FAAAR.

That's the next issue btw. People are wildly over-hyping the mount because it's gated to them. Probably the next thing which people will complain about, similar as with the Warclaw.

The new mount is good at 2 things:
  • hovering in the air while afk
  • horizontal movement which is not straight up (around ledges for example)

On everything else the Bunny or Griffon surpass it.

EDIT: and for everyone hoping the mount gets faster with masteries: it doesn't. It behaves exactly as the ones in Dragonfall.

Yes, until things get sorted out with the acquisition I will just play the new map and consider skyscales set dressing. My bunny is more useful in 99% of the cases.

I do not share most of the peeves people have shared. From my understanding I can buy almost everything I need on the TP. I also have no problem with the mat requirement, I liquidated half of my supply of 500 of each at the start of the episode and my pile of the new mat is slowly growing (as well as the others again thanks to home instance nodes). Instead my gate is because it is at the end of the story, not where it would make more sense, where we discover them in the story. I have epilepsy so a flashing lights instance is not a good idea and feeling like I am going up high (gathering the blood) is no bueno as well.

@Aerlen.5326 said:Some of us, like myself, have disabilities where certain types of content just isn't possible to complete.

Not having seen a complete list of what is required or knowing what content have you looked into options? I know a lot of things you can straight out buy for gold.

I suppose I am lucky, my own disability (epilepsy) prevented me from even starting this inanity.

@yann.1946 said:

It isn't a problem. There's nothing wrong with requiring the materials. I posted saying that expecting people to have them is silly.

If we compare the skyscale to the new legendary greatsword, we can see what the problem is. The skyscale collections are like Bendy and the Ink Machine. Particularly the chapter in the middle (can't remember which one) where you get sent on a near endless series of fetch quests. You spend the whole time running around in circles doing menial and detached tasks. There is no end in sight, little to no rhyme or reason, nothing to gain elsewhere, no way to measure your progress, no telling what's coming next. It was the most hated chapter in an otherwise beloved indie game.

See, Exordium is kind. You know it is coming from a mile away, and you know what you'll need. Gift of Mastery, Mystic Tribute, the precursor (which is really a whole lot of mithril, elder wood, and a few ascended mats), and the weapon gift of which you already know half of. It makes no qualms about what it is. But the Skyscale is mean. Every day you wake up to find a new burden, and another wall full of random stuff that you weren't expecting.

If I were to translate the gameplay behind earning the skyscale into any other medium, it would be terrible. Imagine a book, where every chapter is released sequentially each week. The contents of each chapter are: man climbs 20 different mountain tops to watch a bird fly away, man hunts and kills 20 non-specific animals of no significance, man climbs 20 trees to collect bird feathers, man climbs the same 20 trees to feed a bird, man climbs the same 20 trees to get an egg, etc. It would be terrible. You're told the end is worth it, about after the third week of reading these meandering stories you'd be pretty ticked off. Now, try putting it into a television show, where the next 7 episodes aren't a self contained story, but a slowly meandering story of meticulous detail and no payoff. Try putting it into a comic book, where each issue is a man making 20 of the same object for the next 7 issues. Try putting it into a song, where for 7 minutes the chorus just loops with a slight alteration every minute.

It's all terrible, right? Now imagine you have to pay a whole lot more for the last chapter/issue/episode. You discover this on the day that the last chapter is released. Of course you're ticked off. That's just another kick in the teeth. But hey, you could always not watch the last episode!

Here is the problem: everything about the skyscale is poorly designed. Hiding all of the collections away is a bad idea. Making these collections take several hours for the average player each is a bad idea. Giving absolutely no indication of financial cost or time investment is a bad idea. Putting so many collections together in one continuous stream is a bad idea. Making nearly every part of these collections function the same way is a bad idea. Arbitrarily gating these collections for vague, touchy-feely reasons is a bad idea. Worst of all, this information was discovered in the worst possible order. First you learn that it'll take a few days. Then you learn that it'll take many more days. Then you learn that you have to pay so it won't take weeks. Then you learn you have to pay even more. Then finally you learn that you have to pay a whole lot more, and the real-time gate behind earning all of these mats is actually longer than the arbitrary gate.

It's like every day you wake up, you go to eat breakfast. You can see it, you can smell it, and just as you're grabbing the fork it gets snatched away. Then, you get punched in the face. Every day, you get punched a little harder. The material costs themselves would've been fine, if Anet was up-front about it weeks before the release. The time gates... were excessive to the point of sadism BUT, if we knew beforehand that it would take so long to get the skyscale, then it wouldn't have been as big of a problem. But, Anet did not let us know. We were left to discover, and what we found we did not like.

@Blur.3465 said:

@"bOTEB.1573" said:

@"bOTEB.1573" said:

Going to quote myself:
  • If you
    and spent the materials,
  • If you did
  • If you
    , you get to

Let me quote myself:

I

Are we talking about a legendary or a mount here?Oh wait...we are talking about a mount that is actually worse than griffon, but requires a ton more time, effort and even gold to get it!Complaints are justified, as people are getting a mount that can hover, but is worse than griffon in every other way; the reason why people want is because it's a dragon, which is natural anyone would want it.People want it for skin...a skin that is locked behind a legendary grind, basically.

Now, grind aside, as I keep repeating in my posts, I believe I'd be fine with this, had I not killed myself farming these currencies before. I used to live in LS4 maps for a very long time.Now I have to do it again?It's natural I will voice my complaint, because I am very demotivated to do it all over again. The endless repetition, whereas I could spend my time in new map and have fun exploring it with my very own Skyscale...but nope...

No, you are wrong and I will explain why. You are comparing this collection to a legendary collection but it is not comparable. Why, you may ask? Because, for example, Aurora (comparing it with Aurora because it was the end of LS3 as Skyscale is the end of LS4) requires you to unlock an ASCENDED piece of back which had ~15 days time gate and massive amount of farming, including hearts and collection. This was done for a piece of ASCENDED back and I literally have 10 ASC backs! Please keep in mind that this was ONLY one part of the collection. If we compare the ASCENDED back with the mount you will notice that the mount requires less farming and time to complete, but no - you are comparing it with the whole legendary collection, which further increases, first, the time you need to complete and, second, the amount of gold you need.Another point where you are wrong is implying your opinion as words of all people. You are saying that the mount can basically hover and is worse than the griffon. Well I find hovering pretty cool and I can see some benefits of these mechanics like I can do some maps for the world explorer achievement easier with this mount, I can afk mid air, I can fly behind edges, I can climb some rocks where unmounting feels bad idea because you are risking to fall.Third point - I find this mount more rare than any legendary. Why, you will ask again? Because its mechanics are unique and no other mount can do what this one can. While instead of having, lets say Aurora, I can have a normal ASCENDED trinket which will do exactly the same job. In fact I have several with different stats and I change them on demand. But I can't change to griffon and hover on one place, no? Not to mention that i will use this mount a lot more than 90% of my legendaries.

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:

@Menadena.7482 said:I have epilepsy so a flashing lights instance is not a good idea and feeling like I am going up high (gathering the blood) is no bueno as well.

The final mission, the KralkaTardis quest (Tardis..because it's bigger on the inside) won't be fun for you I'm afraid, though I suspect you already know that.

Thanks, I did not know about that one. It sounds like they wanted to gate this as much as possible. They really should have some people with disabilities as playtesters since things like flashing lights went way overboard this season. Is the item from it TPable?

@Menadena.7482 said:

@Menadena.7482 said:I have epilepsy so a flashing lights instance is not a good idea and feeling like I am going up high (gathering the blood) is no bueno as well.

The final mission, the KralkaTardis quest (Tardis..because it's bigger on the inside) won't be fun for you I'm afraid, though I suspect you already know that.

Thanks, I did not know about that one. It sounds like they wanted to gate this as much as possible. They really should have some people with disabilities as playtesters since things like flashing lights went way overboard this season. Is the item from it TPable?

Without getting into too many details, we are talking about a crystal dragon that carries his own storm around with him, so just imagine lots of pink/purply flashes. Dunno if that would be aggravating to you, or if that can be toned down with lower graphic settings, but it was decidedly sparkly.

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:

Without getting into too many details, we are talking about a crystal dragon that carries his own storm around with him, so just imagine lots of pink/purply flashes. Dunno if that would be aggravating to you, or if that can be toned down with lower graphic settings, but it was decidedly sparkly.

I might be able to do it but it sounds like they want to cause seizures in some people. Sort of like the first instance of the first episode. Flashes when they could have easily been avoided.

Ironically I was ready to praise them for most of the story. No gratuitous effects and they concentrated on story rather than the cheep trick of throwing waves of mobs at the player. Then they did a 180 of the visuals near the end.

Feels like people are purposefully missing the point. It's not about instant gratification. If you want me to put the time into working on this thing, fine, but make it worth it. Can I say, in all honesty, that the Skyscale is worth all the crap you have to do for it? No.

But whatever, I'm this far now so I'll just do this casually. Do my hearts, gather nodes and if metas are happening whilst I'm on, do those as well. Keep defending ANet's bad decisions, ya'll.

@Blur.3465 said:Nobody would complain had Skyscale been more superior to griffon, at least I know I wouldn't, as that way it would be a reward worthy of this mess. Right now it is not worthy of this mess, yet people still want it because it's a dragon, naturally. It's no wonder a lot of people complain about it though, it's worse than most of the mounts that we have and it drops from air faster than griffon.

@Blur.3465 said:Oh wait...we are talking about a mount that is actually worse than griffon, but requires a ton more time, effort and even gold to get it!

What i dont understand here: If the end-reward of the collection, the skyscale, is so bad for you anyway, why do you still want to have it? You say its not worth for you the amount of materials it requires. Well, then dont get it? Especially since you also say that you find the griffon to be better anyway.

Also, there arent just a few pack-rats that have hoarded the materials. Its common knowledge that you keep account-bound materials and only convert them into gold if you are in dire need of it. Thats the reason people use to have tons of laurels: Ofc they could just convert them to gold, but they only do it if they are really in need for it, because gold is widely available through all kinds of activities, while laurels are not. The map currencies arent that bad anyway since you can get as many as you want per day through various ways: pvp and wvw reward tracks, gathering on the specific map, doing map dailies or metas.

@Blood Red Arachnid.2493 said:If we compare the skyscale to the new legendary greatsword, we can see what the problem is. The skyscale collections are like Bendy and the Ink Machine. Particularly the chapter in the middle (can't remember which one) where you get sent on a near endless series of fetch quests. You spend the whole time running around in circles doing menial and detached tasks. There is no end in sight, little to no rhyme or reason, nothing to gain elsewhere, no way to measure your progress, no telling what's coming next. It was the most hated chapter in an otherwise beloved indie game.

Heh, you mean the chapter where you need to collect a whole series of items for Alice Angel. Think that was chapter 3 :)