Skyscale for gold option please? — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Skyscale for gold option please?

Swagger.1459Swagger.1459 Member ✭✭✭✭
edited May 22, 2019 in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

I'm not going to rehash stuff others have said, so I would like to simply request a Skyscale for gold option... I (and I'm positive I'm not alone) would rather pay gold for a full grown Skyscale so I can spend time doing other things in-game. I believe this would be a good option to consider for all players.

Thanks for reading!

Edit- You can have Gorrik present a player the option to purchase a Skyscale or to continue on the journey after the Skyscale egg collection is completed.

Tagged:

Comments

• Ayalet.4970Ayalet.4970 Member ✭✭

(while half of the people does the collection and they already wasted about 330gold for all the process and days of tedious collections) .

I personally have not finished it. But that's quite a lot of gold for a precursor, I mean Black lion skin, sorry I mean a mount!!! it is just a mount...
    Aurene was less maintenance than this whole thing...

☆ Fear, not this night. You will not go astray. Though Shadows fall still the stars find their way. ☆

• Kylden Ar.3724Kylden Ar.3724 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Swagger.1459 said:
    I'm not going to rehash stuff others have said, so I would like to simply request a Skyscale for gold option... I (and I'm positive I'm not alone) would rather pay gold for a full grown Skyscale so I can spend time doing other things in-game. I believe this would be a good option to consider for all players.

Thanks for reading!

Edit- You can have Gorrik present a player the option to purchase a Skyscale or to continue on the journey after the Skyscale egg collection is completed.

For once we agree. Yes please!

I saved up almost 500 gold expecting it to be between griffon and beetle, and am at my play rate still weeks away from getting to the point where I can just pay for anything.

How many times we gotta tell you GRIND IS NOT CONTENT there ANet?

Leader of Tyrian Adventure Corp [TACO], [RaW][TACO] Alliance, Kaineng.

• They should have made it around 200g as really it's just a poor mans griffin in terms of game value and use. Throw in some interesting and compelling achievements around the new map and I'd be more than happy to buy upcoming skins. And why always these same stinky collections? Some really difficult missions involving the free skyscales on the map would have been a start, seems actual skill isnt needed for anything these day's

Thousands wont bother with the grind just judging from my kin chat so won't be buying the skins either, anet will be the real loser in this one

Im fine either way, I'd like it sure, but wont be spending my time with this mess of a grind like a lot of others

• Westenev.5289Westenev.5289 Member ✭✭✭✭

For part 4 of the collection, you can buy or make skyscale treats (which add up to around 80g if you wanna skip everything on this step).

For part 3 of the collection, you can buy grow lamps (50g) and skyscale food, skipping 23 days of charged quartz charging.

I mean, the skyscale already has a paywall. Why impliment another? It's not like people who have the gold don't have the materials or knowhow to complete these collections.

I think the 2 hour achievement timegate is already a fair comprimise... I just wish they implimented it sooner!

• Ashen.2907Ashen.2907 Member ✭✭✭✭

I don't often agree with Swagger, but when I do, as in this case, I give a thumbs up.

• Gop.8713Gop.8713 Member ✭✭✭✭

I wouldn't be opposed to a straight purchase option, but I am generally a fan of including things in the game that you can only acquire by actually playing it . . .

• bOTEB.1573bOTEB.1573 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 22, 2019

@Gop.8713 said:
    I wouldn't be opposed to a straight purchase option, but I am generally a fan of including things in the game that you can only acquire by actually playing it . . .

I totally agree that noone will be opposed to a straight purchase option, also ANET can just add all legendary items, achievements and skins in the gemstore and we can all play with our credit cards - this means that we will actually play the game, in the gemstore.
    Also, I have a suggestion - after you skip all time gates and purchase every skin and legendary from the gemstore you get the title "Gemstore Master". This would be the true achievement and the only one that matters and only the BEST and most SKILLFUL players in GW2 will have it.
    But there is a massive flaw in this suggestion (I admit) - you have to spend several hours in purchases. I mean, imagine all the frustration searching and buying all these things! This would be a nightmare - a time gate. I suggest just 1 click = purchase everything + get the title.

Wishlist:
    Everything that kills me should be nerfed
    Remove all time gates - I play more than some people yet I receive the same rewards per day/week (PvP/WvW tickets etc)
    ANET developments/events and everything else should be in a schedule with the time I play

• derd.6413derd.6413 Member ✭✭✭✭

sounds like pay to win.

I Have No friends, so I Must pug

@derd.6413 said:
    sounds like pay to win.

Never, please read my posts and you will understand why it is NOT p2w.

Wishlist:
    Remove all time gates - I play more than some people yet I receive the same rewards per day/week (PvP/WvW tickets etc)
    ANET developments/events and everything else should be in a schedule with the time I play

• derd.6413derd.6413 Member ✭✭✭✭

@bOTEB.1573 said:

@derd.6413 said:
    sounds like pay to win.

Never, please read my posts and you will understand why it is NOT p2w.

your explanation sounds like capitalist propaganda

I Have No friends, so I Must pug

• Arzurag.7506Arzurag.7506 Member ✭✭✭

@derd.6413 said:
    sounds like pay to win.

It would be kind of pay2win if you could buy legendary gear from the gem-store, though if only the skins are sold then it's not pay2win.

Overall, the "content" of this game is being purchasable from the gem-store is quite the silly thought.

"I´m not big on sermons nor words, Broken bones teach better lessons and speak for themselves."

@Gop.8713 said:

@bOTEB.1573 said:

@Gop.8713 said:

I totally agree that noone will be opposed to a straight purchase option, also ANET can just add all legendary items, achievements and skins in the gemstore and we can all play with our credit cards - this means that we will actually play the game, in the gemstore.
    Also, I have a suggestion - after you skip all time gates and purchase every skin and legendary from the gemstore you get the title "Gemstore Master". This would be the true achievement and the only one that matters and only the BEST and most SKILLFUL players in GW2 will have it.
    But there is a massive flaw in this suggestion (I admit) - you have to spend several hours in purchases. I mean, imagine all the frustration searching and buying all these things! This would be a nightmare - a time gate. I suggest just 1 click = purchase everything + get the title.

You're not entirely sober rn are you . . ?

I am 100% sober. I rather pay gold for everything, not only the mount :)
    My hobby is show off in front of Lion's Arch bank. If I work for anything else in the game, how can I have time for my hobby?

Wishlist:

• Someone will make a thread soon showing the stats from gw2 efficiency. The % of people giving up after the 1st collections is already highlighting the scale of the problem. The number of completions is also hilarious.

Pure gold purchase is obviously not the way to go, neither are boring endless collections for a very mediocre mount.

Like many others I've earnt hundreds of mounts in different mmo's over 15 odd yrs, this is up definitely up there with the worst. Surprisingly, there are many ways of making it fun and compelling for the majority, who knew...

• Rasimir.6239Rasimir.6239 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Jangle.5986 said:
    Like many others I've earnt hundreds of mounts in different mmo's over 15 odd yrs, this is up definitely up there with the worst. Surprisingly, there are many ways of making it fun and compelling for the majority, who knew...

Really? Most mounts I remember from other MMOs are either faction grind , event grind, or straight cash purchases. I can't remember a single one where aquisition of the mount was actually gameplay content, only mounts (or rather mount skins, as none of those other games had any special mount functionality beside a possible speed buff) that were given out as reward for content.

Mounts in GW2, unlike other MMOs, aren't just cosmetics/buffs, they are actual movement abilites that allow you to explore the game world in different ways. The basic mounts require a bit of gameplay (completion of the associated heart and coming up with the necessary currency), while the aquisition of the advanced mounts (griffon/beetle/warclaw/skyscale) is game content in itself in the form of collections that literally make you play different maps/events/parts of the game to finish them.

How many mounts you've earned in other games is irrelevant. This is GW2, they do a lot of things different than other things, and one of these things is mounts. And I'll take a guess here and say that the way this mount is aquired actually is fun to a lot of people in game (I'd even say the majority if I believed that there is a single aspect of the game that acutally does appeal to the majority of players). It's just that this collection is involved enough that many of those who enjoy it are not among those who devour new content on the day of release but rather take their time to enjoy the content without outside interference help.

• kharmin.7683kharmin.7683 Member ✭✭✭✭

@bOTEB.1573 said:

I totally agree that noone will be opposed to a straight purchase option,

No one? That's a stretch, no?

I am a very casual player.
    Very.
    Casual.

• SO whales can buy it with gems and convert it to gold, just like the grifon. No thx. Its changing one bad system for the other.

• joneirikb.7506joneirikb.7506 Member ✭✭✭✭

Haha, I'm actually for this, which is un-expected and amusing. Was talking with some guildies yesterday, and one in particular that flat out falls asleep to literally every PVE mob in the game, was trying to get another more PVE active guildie to borrow his account and grind the SkyScale for him in exchange for a legendary from the TP. Doing the math for a water legendary, approx 60$, I was thinking "heck yeah, that's tempting!"

So yeah, can we get the option to trade in a Legendary weapon for bypassing the SkyScale grind ? Pretty please with sugar on top? Puppyeyes?

It would be the first time I'd actually find a use for a legendary! ;)

Elrik Noj (Norn Guardian, Kaineng [SIN][Owls])
    "Understanding is a three edged sword: your side, their side, and the truth." - J. Michael Straczynski
    "GW2 is a MSOFGG: Mass Singleplayer Online Fashion Grinding Game" -me

• Menadena.7482Menadena.7482 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Swagger.1459 said:

Thanks for reading!

I would love to see it. Everyone has different issue with things as they stand.

One modifier, I would make Gorrik show up when you discover the skyscales. The wing and the instance are no fun for people with epilepsy or who have problems with extreme heights.

New to the game? Feel free to give a yell if you need PVE help.

@Linken.6345 said:
    Sure but better be a large one in the essence of 10k gold or more

How do you figure? They are not a legendary.

If it helps think of it in RL money. Is a skyscale actually worth around 1000 USD?

• Ototo.3214Ototo.3214 Member ✭✭✭

It pretty much already costs gold and there are gold bypasses for many of the collections. Dont wanna wait to charge your own quartz? You cam buy the items from someone else. Dont wanna do JPs? You can buy the items from other players. They're reducing the time gate next week, so the gold bypasses will be even better for you.

• @Rasimir.6239 said:

This is GW2, they do a lot of things different than other things, and one of these things is mounts. And I'll take a guess here and say that the way this mount is aquired actually is fun to a lot of people in game (I'd even say the majority if I believed that there is a single aspect of the game that acutally does appeal to the majority of players). It's just that this collection is involved enough that many of those who enjoy it are not among those who devour new content on the day of release but rather take their time to enjoy the content without outside interference help.

As said, look up the gw2 efficiency stats for the percentage of people that have given up after doing just the first collection and the acquisition rate, clearly this gw2 way of doing things isn't working. Maybe they wont be selling skins, that would also explain the single colour of dye on it as well and the poor mechanics.

I agree, mounts I've collected in other games may be irreverent, unlocking thousands of endgame items in different games allows you to experience when devs get gating right though, (especially in the days before all this predatory micro transaction bs), for whatever the desired item. Just reading a large kins chat, the stats, these forums/reddit quickly shows what people think is fun, and this aint it :)

Fair play to the ones that have managed to drag themselves round the maps like sheep to acquire it, just a shame it's not worth it for most

@Jangle.5986 said:

Someone will make a thread soon showing the stats from gw2 efficiency. The % of people giving up after the 1st collections is already highlighting the scale of the problem. The number of completions is also hilarious.

Pure gold purchase is obviously not the way to go, neither are boring endless collections for a very mediocre mount.

It is interesting what they have done with mounts. The first 4 were just a case of a heart. The griffon was basically gated behind the story and 250 gold. Then the beetle took you everywhere but nothing too insane. Then the warclaw had all kinds of stuff. Then this one was worse the more you knew about it.

• Paralux.6714Paralux.6714 Member ✭✭✭

You can spend your time doing other things in the game, just do like one collection per day for the skyscale, it shouldn't take too much time. Or is it really that important to have it within the first week from when it's released? To own it before most other players?
    People complained like this regarding the griffon as well, and it's not even half of the work that's needed for the skyscale. When you've worked for something during a longer period of time, the reward of getting it actually feels greater.

• Blocki.4931Blocki.4931 Member ✭✭✭✭

It just shows how many people hate to play the game, yet find themselves "forced to do it" for a mount. That opinion has been echoed too many times. Only the first couple of collections were bad, the rest was perfectly fine and reasonable.

Bite me.

• Kylden Ar.3724Kylden Ar.3724 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Paralux.6714 said:
    When you've worked for something during a longer period of time, the reward of getting it actually feels greater.

See, the problem with that statement is I can't tell if you're talking about a video game or retirement...

How many times we gotta tell you GRIND IS NOT CONTENT there ANet?

Leader of Tyrian Adventure Corp [TACO], [RaW][TACO] Alliance, Kaineng.

• Witch of Doom.5739Witch of Doom.5739 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Jangle.5986 said:

As said, look up the gw2 efficiency stats for the percentage of people that have given up after doing just the first collection and the acquisition rate, clearly this gw2 way of doing things isn't working.

Sorry to digress, but can you link to that? I use GW2Efficiency but didn't know you could see stats like that. Thanks!

And at this point I'm so disgusted with the whole grind of Skyscale acquisition that I wouldn't care if you bought it with gold, if it fell out of the sky into your home instance, if your toon had to dance for an hour to get it, anything. I may or may not have mine in a few weeks, because after the eggs and scales scavenger hunts I have never been so bored with game content. Repeating the same thing day after day after day after day.

• kratan.4619kratan.4619 Member ✭✭✭

Totally disagree, either do the collections or do not get the mount, no gold option is necessary. If a person does not want to do the collections, then they do not want the mount bad enough.

• To be honest, I've enjoyed the collections so far! I like when there's a story involved. :)

• Swagger.1459Swagger.1459 Member ✭✭✭✭

Listen peeps, I’m not trying to sway opinions here, just wanted to suggest adding in an option. Having options to get the Skyscale won’t hurt anyone, it’s actually a plus.

Have a great day all!

• yoni.7015yoni.7015 Member ✭✭✭

I am against this idea. I made the collection and it is actually an easy one. If you don’t want to do it like the rest of us, don’t do it. But you should not be rewarded with the mount then.

• Swagger.1459Swagger.1459 Member ✭✭✭✭

@kratan.4619 said:
    Totally disagree, either do the collections or do not get the mount, no gold option is necessary. If a person does not want to do the collections, then they do not want the mount bad enough.

Mounts are not an option for PoF and on maps. They were designed with mounts in mind and players will need them to progress at certain times, so please don’t make it seem as if mounts are now purely optional.

• Safandula.8723Safandula.8723 Member ✭✭✭✭

If u pay me for time Iv spent on doing collections and grinding currencies than I don't mind. Otherwise go to China server, u can buy everything from tp there

make prepardness baseline plz

• FrizzFreston.5290FrizzFreston.5290 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 22, 2019

Requests <<< Feedback

Request: Please change it to ...

This is open world content, that offers a high end goal, that you can obtain by playing EASY open world content.
    If you didn't like raids, and always wanted endgame stuff for players who don't like hard challenging content, this is it.

Now just do it, explore it, and say what you did and what you didn't like so that the next thing is more fun to play.

Skipping content (through gold or wallet or other) imo is not something Arenanet should invest any time in. If they're just going to make the game but design in backstop incase you may or may not like it, they might as well stop developing for this game.

• PlagueParade.7942PlagueParade.7942 Member ✭✭✭

There are plenty of skyscales on the map to use. This is added content to do throughout the months before season 5. NO, they shouldn't add a quick buy it option, glad that they didn't so I could enjoy the content they put out a bit longer.

@Blocki.4931 said:
    It just shows how many people hate to play the game, yet find themselves "forced to do it" for a mount. That opinion has been echoed too many times. Only the first couple of collections were bad, the rest was perfectly fine and reasonable.

I can see wanting to do different content but some of the attitudes I have encountered during all this are just bizarre. Like people unwilling to farm home nodes because it 'only' gives them 3 of each mat for a couple of minutes of gathering. If they stopped complaining and just gathered they would have a stack of each in no time.

• Magnus Godrik.5841Magnus Godrik.5841 Member ✭✭✭✭

No, anet should not charge gold but charge cash. $20 should be good for those willing not to partake in the content. (Please insert rage here....)

• Asum.4960Asum.4960 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 22, 2019

I don't think either gold nor timegates are a good solution.

@bOTEB.1573 said:
    I mean, I want to just skip raiding and get the legendary armor for gold.

Although you are probably being sarcastic here, the thing is Raiding is engaging and fun content that actually not only includes actual gameplay, but is purely that.
    The content in of itself is satisfying to play and conquer, and rewards just serve as a carrot on top of that or to incentivise the first engagement with the content to get people to try it out in the first place.
    That's how content and rewards should be structured.

As much as things like entitlement etc. are thrown around with people complaining about the process of acquiring the Skyscale, I think more than anything the people complaining just like GW2 and want to actually play it, not wait around for timegates, or run around an press F on things.

The call for just making it just a gold cost is, in my eyes, just a desperate call to actually want to play GW2, as they then can substitute the press F and wait collections for actual gameplay they want to engage in which happens to reward gold, instead of it being a sensible alternative to be suggested.

Just imagine a world in which Anet made LW instances into hard mode 5 man dungeons you unlock after completing the story.
    Aside from actually providing long term repeatable content with the LW, which it's desperately missing, it would also create opportunities to put rewards such as this mount behind the completion of actual gameplay such as that. Requiring you to run all the LW instances with a group, completing new bonus objectives etc.

Even if that were to take a week or more to get the reward, people would be too busy having a blast actually playing the game to complain much.

We don't need arbitrary gold costs, timegates or arduous collections, what we actually need is gameplay.

Anet needs to stop looking at the lowest possible denominator, asking themselves what is something literally everybody can do, "move their character and press F?, alright, let's do that", and actually give us content to play to put these rewards behind.

R.I.P. Build Templates, 15.10.2019

• We'd like to avoid spreading out the feedback across multiple forum threads so that the Guild Wars 2 Discussion forum doesn't seem too chaotic. Since this is related to the [merged] About the Skyscale Timegate... thread, I'm going to close this thread and redirect you to the above one.

Stéphane Lo Presti
    Content Marketing Manager

This discussion has been closed.
©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.