Poor performance on modern hardware (unplayable framerates) — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Poor performance on modern hardware (unplayable framerates)

Fhaerron.8604Fhaerron.8604 Member
edited May 19, 2019 in Account & Technical Support

Hi all.
So I decided to play Guild Wars 2 again after a long time and I've been having horrible performance to the point where it's literally unplayable. I'm one of these 'so-called' 60FPS or no buy players but the game drops to 20FPS and below and that just isn't a pleasant experience.

My setup:
Core i7-4790k 4.8Ghz
Nvidia RTX 2070 1700Mhz
16Gb DDR 3 ram 1333Mhz (4x4)
Samsung 840 Evo SSD
Windows 10 64-bit
Using latest Windows & stable GPU driver updates

So basically the game becomes a slideshow a lot of times. I cannot reach 60FPS ever even on low (have posted screenshots at the end of this thread).
I have removed my overclock settings and put everything back to default 'factory' settings and no improvements.
I have tried both fullscreen, windowed & windowed full screen settings and no improvements.
I've disabled all my overlays, antivirus, firewall, ... no improvements.
I've did a clean install of latest stable GPU driver and no improvements.

In the included screenshots I took them with both the ingame grapich menu showing the FPS & also with my RTSS overlay showing the GPU/CPU/Ram, etc usage. What I find odd is that when I actually lower the settings the performance becomes even worse and the game will use less system recourses.
In the Nvidia controll panel I've set to Guild Wars 2 to 'maximum performance' but this has not changed anything and the performance stays poor.

On higher settings I can 'play' but the issue is that the framerate is constantly jumping around like 44 > 23 > 54 > 7 > 34 > 18 > etc, every second it just bounces around. Also whenever I activate a skill or somebody or an enemy uses a flashy attack the frame rate drips below 20 for a split second then ramping back up and down.
It's so bad that it's actually causing me a headache

On my office laptop rocking an i3-5010 2.1Ghz (dualcore) and a little 920M grapich controller & 6Gb system ram and there I can actually play with an average of 50FPS with a few settings even turned to medium and high.

Are there any manual .ini tweaks I can do to actually put this game in a playable state?
All helps is appreciated.

(I build this desktop back in 2015, 6 months ago I upgraded the GPU to an RTX 2070, I've been playing several different games both indie to tipple A eye candy games and I've never had any issues and all games have been running in 60FPS with little to no drops, so I think it's safe to say it's not really my hardware itself but certain settings of the game?)

Using Ultra settings:

Using Low settings:

This really isn't fun.

Comments

  • steki.1478steki.1478 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Search for d912pxy on gw2 reddit.

  • megal.6275megal.6275 Member ✭✭
    edited May 20, 2019

    RTX decides that there is not enough load to pull up its clocks from idle values. Workaround: set forced maximum power in drivers.
    Maybe anet or nvidia fix this problem someday.

  • Steve The Cynic.3217Steve The Cynic.3217 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Fhaerron.8604 1333 MHz DDR3 RAM is not what I'd call "modern hardware". My current main PC (bought at the end of 2017) is:

    • i7 7820X (Skylake X, 8 cores, two threads per core, stock clocks)
    • MSI Raider X299 mobo (proper Intel ethernet, none of this Realtek rubbish)
    • 64GB 3000 MHz DDR4 (stock clocks, 8 sticks of 8GB)
    • NVidia GTX 1080 (stock clocks)
    • Twin 60Hz 4K screens

    Unless there's something "noisy" going on, I can easily get beyond 75 fps on max 4K graphics, and even in noisy stuff (big fights, Effect Animation Central), it's still fairly smooth, er, by my standards, that is. Bear in mind that I played for ages on a machine I built in 2011, one that was on the slow side even then, so I'm by no means a "60 FPS or go home" gamer. But I don't think I've seen it get actually visibly choppy, not like, say, Nier: Automata on the old machine, where I normally got 3-5 fps, and certain types of scenery would reduce it to seconds per frame...(1)

    My vote in general would be that there's something in what @megal.6275 says, that the GPU isn't working hard enough to build any enthusiasm.

    (1) Indeed, that, combined with 5K euros won in a random side-draw from the Euromillions lottery, was what drove me to buy the new PC.

    @Biff.5312 said:
    Exercise your whimsy.

  • 1060 MaxQ and i get 70-100 FPS

  • Sako.7609Sako.7609 Member ✭✭

    First of all turn off the "Framerate limiter" and set "Refresh rate" to highest possible.

  • crepuscular.9047crepuscular.9047 Member ✭✭✭✭

    looking at screenshots... wait... what? your FPS went down on lowest settings? :lol:

    The settings arent very clear on which one is utilised by CPU and which one is utilised by GPU

    The one setting that will make a huge difference is Character Model Limit, this will reduce the amount of instructions need to be calculated by the CPU
    I wish Anet can make an even lower level 'Targeted Only', which will squeeze even more FPS for better experience.

    In terms of GPU load, few settings testing what I founded with my GTX 1080 Ti monitoring using MSI Afterburner; bit lazy to test other settings, all set to the medium
    Reflection: Terrian & Sky +14% Load, All +32% Load
    Texture: Medium +3% Load, High +12% Load
    Render Sampling: Native +16% Load, Supersampling +16% Load (no load difference vs Native)

    [RIP Fashion Wars 2005-2018]     [TTS] [KA] [SI]     [RIP Fashion Wars 2005-2018]
    Praise the Inevitable Eternal Transcendent King Palawa Ignacious Joko, the Beloved and Feared Undying Eternal Monarch of All !!!
    ... til Aurene ate him for dessert 😭
  • Inculpatus cedo.9234Inculpatus cedo.9234 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Well, you'll notice the screenshots aren't of the exact same view.
    I can stand in Royal Terrace and face one way with higher FPS and face another way with lower FPS.

  • IWAY.8231IWAY.8231 Member ✭✭
    edited May 22, 2019

    town fps is expected to be lower than the max fps that your client can get.

    if you want to know your max fps, go in a map (e.g. PvE) and make sure that all you see is your character.

    you can do autodetect..

    or

    if you're not satisfied with your current fps (even after autodetecting), you can customize accordingly to ++ your fps.

  • Blocki.4931Blocki.4931 Member ✭✭✭✭

    There are some great performance guides around that might help you. Other than that I firmly believe it must be something with your hardware and/or settings for them because even though while not extremely optimized it shouldn't be this bad.

    Smugly chuckling forever.
    My sentence doesn't make sense? Well, I probably forgot to write half of it before posting.

  • Jemmi.6058Jemmi.6058 Member ✭✭

    Did you recently upgrade your graphics card, and did you do a full removal of your old drivers when you did (using DDU)? If not, I'd recommend running that and doing a clean install of your graphics drivers, and see if that helps.

  • @steki.1478 said:
    Search for d912pxy on gw2 reddit.

    Unfortunatly that didn't help as the game still didn't utilized my GPU/CPU, etc properly.

    @megal.6275 said:
    RTX decides that there is not enough load to pull up its clocks from idle values. Workaround: set forced maximum power in drivers.
    Maybe anet or nvidia fix this problem someday.

    It's set it back to default and then back to max power and nothing has changed.

    @Sako.7609 said:
    First of all turn off the "Framerate limiter" and set "Refresh rate" to highest possible.

    Thank you for this suggestion, I'll try this out later.

    @crepuscular.9047 said:
    looking at screenshots... wait... what? your FPS went down on lowest settings? :lol:

    The settings arent very clear on which one is utilised by CPU and which one is utilised by GPU

    The one setting that will make a huge difference is Character Model Limit, this will reduce the amount of instructions need to be calculated by the CPU
    I wish Anet can make an even lower level 'Targeted Only', which will squeeze even more FPS for better experience.

    In terms of GPU load, few settings testing what I founded with my GTX 1080 Ti monitoring using MSI Afterburner; bit lazy to test other settings, all set to the medium
    Reflection: Terrian & Sky +14% Load, All +32% Load
    Texture: Medium +3% Load, High +12% Load
    Render Sampling: Native +16% Load, Supersampling +16% Load (no load difference vs Native)

    Well, as you can see my CPU/GPU utilization goes down as I lower my settings. This also happens when I set framelimit to 30.
    To the Rder Sampling, I think it mainly ramps up the Vram usage of the GPU, right? In any case I've never hit the full 8Gb of Vram my card has.

    @IWAY.8231 said:
    town fps is expected to be lower than the max fps that your client can get.

    if you want to know your max fps, go in a map (e.g. PvE) and make sure that all you see is your character.

    you can do autodetect..

    or

    if you're not satisfied with your current fps (even after autodetecting), you can customize accordingly to ++ your fps.

    The main issue is stability with totally unexcusable extreme cases as shown in my screenshot.
    Out in the open I almost never hit 60FPS, the framerate keeps jumping around 23 > 40 > 54 > 17 > 26 > 34 > 42 > 28 > etc, every second it keeps jumping around like this.
    I can live with not having 60FPS in towns but I mainly want stability (with higher framerates) especially when I'm doing combat.

    @Blocki.4931 said:
    There are some great performance guides around that might help you. Other than that I firmly believe it must be something with your hardware and/or settings for them because even though while not extremely optimized it shouldn't be this bad.

    Yes, I do remember many years ago I found some .ini manual tweaks, also there was this thread on the Nvidia forums with some tips and also GW2 Guru but that has been shut down unfortunatly.
    Back in 2012 during beta and WvW stress tests I actually had better performance then now (with much less powerfull hardware, I was using a GTX 260, I don't really recall my other hardware back then) and that was with all memory leaks and stuff going on back then. > Also with the .ini tweaks I was able to play with pretty stable performance.

    Last time I upgraded was back in December upgrading to an RTX 2070 and I haven't had any issues with it, the only thing that could cause some crazy things is the 2 ram dims of 4Gb I added, they where cheap 1333Mhz 4Gb each, while I have 2 other corsair dims of 4Gb with higher clock speeds, however I downklocked my original corsair dims to 1333Mhz to match the new kingston dims I have and I haven't ran into any issue.
    I cannot upgrade my ram dims because, my i7 4790K is one of the last CPU's to use DDR3 ram, DDR3 ram is not being made anymore and the stock is very low cauzing prices to be very high, especially for higher clockspeed models.
    And the i7 4790K while being 'old' at this point was a crazy beast at it's time, and it's still plently powerfull for 60FPS/1080P gaming.
    I realise that GW2 uses a different engine then most other games I play, however I have no issues with any games I played.
    Some examples include:
    Tom Clancy's The Division 1
    Tom Clancy's The Division 2
    Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice,
    Resident Evil 2 remake
    Rage 2
    Far Cry 5
    Final Fantasy XV

    All of these games at 1080p (Well 1200P in my case since I got widescreen FHD) / 60FPS at nearly ultra settings in all games.
    Even Final Fantasy XV which is probably the highest powerhungry game I have I have all but (Hairworks and another gameworks feature I don't really recall now turned off) turned on & at ultra settings and I almost never get a stutter or anything, average of 60FPS.

    And some other MMO's I play are Guild Wars 1, Final Fantasy XIV, (also tested on ESO, WoW & SW:ToR) and no poor performance there, all 60 fps with ultra settings

    In the 6Months of I have this GPU now I never had a blue screen, crash or game crash, freeze or anything else.

    @Jemmi.6058 said:
    Did you recently upgrade your graphics card, and did you do a full removal of your old drivers when you did (using DDU)? If not, I'd recommend running that and doing a clean install of your graphics drivers, and see if that helps.

    Quote "I build this desktop back in 2015, 6 months ago I upgraded the GPU to an RTX 2070". I don't think 6 months is recently?
    Anyhow, yes, downloading latest Driver manually, remove eterhnet cable and safe mode DDU to remove all Nvidia stuff then back normal windows mode and install driver and then put back eterhnet cable.
    Also this PC has had a clean W10 install during these 6 months as well.

    So I tried it again by removing Drivers and doing clean install of driver, reinstalling GW2 as adding -repair in the target field didn't do anything.
    I ran a CPU stress test on all 8 threads & a GPU stress test at the same time for +8 hours before I left to work, when I came back home the PC was still running fine (65C degrees max) and still running.
    I also did a memtest with *4 passes and all my ram dims are working fine too.

    I'll contact Anet support & will also search around the internet for tweaks and such like I did back in 2012 to have it on acceptable performance/stabilisation.

    Sorry for the slow answers, I work full time and don't always have much time to check back here before I drop into bed.
    Thanks for the advice so far.

  • Bloodstealer.5978Bloodstealer.5978 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 23, 2019

    Windows 10 does have a fair bit of background dross going on like the Gamebar stuff which can be totally switched off.. makes a little difference, at least to me.
    I've used a few different guides in the past, once for my old GTX550Ti.. added an extra 10-20fps to my game, though even on that old card I never really struggled with very low FPS, just the usual drops in heavy particle fights like WvW.
    On my GTX 1080Ti I am getting around 50-80 FPS on med/high settings and my CPU is old by current marks (i7-3970k) and generally always pretty stable at 60FPS when setting frame limiter. Of course we all get those FPS drops in those heavy or poorly optimised areas of the game and main city hubs like LA unfortunately fall into that category imo.
    Maybe your just trying to push the CPU to much with all those high/ultra setting.. especially character limits and shadows.. try setting them back for starters. I would rather have better and more stable FPS than a ultra pretty mass of particles, but that's just me.

    Life is what YOU make it... NOT what others tell you!

  • @Bloodstealer.5978 said:
    Windows 10 does have a fair bit of background dross going on like the Gamebar stuff which can be totally switched off.. makes a little difference, at least to me.
    I've used a few different guides in the past, once for my old GTX550Ti.. added an extra 10-20fps to my game, though even on that old card I never really struggled with very low FPS, just the usual drops in heavy particle fights like WvW.
    On my GTX 1080Ti I am getting around 50-80 FPS on med/high settings and my CPU is old by current marks (i7-3970k) and generally always pretty stable at 60FPS when setting frame limiter. Of course we all get those FPS drops in those heavy or poorly optimised areas of the game and main city hubs like LA unfortunately fall into that category imo.
    Maybe your just trying to push the CPU to much with all those high/ultra setting.. especially character limits and shadows.. try setting them back for starters. I would rather have better and more stable FPS than a ultra pretty mass of particles, but that's just me.

    Gamebar is off, I have most of those 'nififty' Windows stuff disabled by default because I don't use it.

    I'm sorry but have you read my entire first post? I did also say that I had low FPS on low settings.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.