[Spoilers: War Eternal] Destiny’s Edge

Zola.6197

I’m really disheartened we couldn’t get a nice redemptive moment for DE. We had Caithe and Rytlock involved in the final sequence, Logan was... on the island.

But we still missed out on Snaff, Eir, and Zojja. It feels like such a narrative waste to me that they didn’t take this final battle to give their story some real closure.

Granted, I haven’t really played on the map beyond the story requirements, so I might have missed a lot of important incidental dialogue. Snaff and Eir are even part of Glint’s army, of which had a presence on the map, yet they were not part of the this huge story moment that ties directly back them. It just feels awkward... Did they forget about them?

Obviously Zojja is a different issue entirely, so no point going into that again. Still sucks.

Hard to reconcile my desires as a fan and a storyteller with my sympathies for how hard it must be at ANet after the lay-offs. :(

Just wanted somewhere to discuss this. From a lore standpoint it’s probably insignificant in the history of the world, but now DE will just be remembered as a failure. Realistic maybe, but sad as a player.

I very much remember having this exact conversation with some friends much earlier in this story. I wish there had been an instance where we kill Kralk's body with the whole of DE before we went inside to end it, but now it is over. There is now no point for Zojja, Eir, or Snaff showing up again. One of a few problems I had with this story. I found it a good story, but it could have been an amazing story.

Yes, it was more or less the ending I’d hoped for, but it’s clear the writing team was only trying to hit the story beats that were absolutely necessary to wrapping up this season. No time given to major NPCs who have been around for years (even Canach was eerily mute).

Makes me wonder how much content might have been cut from this episode. The story portion felt incredibly brief.

Edit: As far as I know, Marjory and Kasmeer aren’t even referenced.

And you could at least give some closure by having Caithe, Rytlock, or Logan having one line of dialogue saying “This is for Snaff, Eir, and Zojja” to show they’re not completely forgotten by their longtime companions.

@"Svennis.3852" said:And you could at least give some closure by having Caithe, Rytlock, or Logan having one line of dialogue saying “This is for Snaff, Eir, and Zojja” to show they’re not completely forgotten by their longtime companions.

While I'm not sure if they're named explicitly, there's a lot of dialogue between Logan and Rytlock (and Gwen) about getting more chance and making things right.

@"Svennis.3852" said:Yes, it was more or less the ending I’d hoped for, but it’s clear the writing team was only trying to hit the story beats that were absolutely necessary to wrapping up this season. No time given to major NPCs who have been around for years (even Canach was eerily mute).

Makes me wonder how much content might have been cut from this episode. The story portion felt incredibly brief.

And you could at least give some closure by having Caithe, Rytlock, or Logan having one line of dialogue saying “This is for Snaff, Eir, and Zojja” to show they’re not completely forgotten by their longtime companions.

Well i hope in episode 1 of season 5, when we came home we are welcomed by Zojja despite her condition, however i think Anet have some problem with the voice actress, think about it she is absent in season 3/PoF/season 4, Logan is back in action but not Zojja? Come on...........And we better have some damn closure with Eir,Snaff and Glint in the next episode.Edit: i just remembered that they changed Rox's voice so the "contract" theory is out of the window

I have very little faith we’ll ever see Zojja again. THIS was the moment for a DE reunion, especially after they revealed earlier in the season that Eir and Snaff’s spirits are still active.

Even if they bring them together later, it won’t have the same impact.

Ugh. :(

@"Svennis.3852" said:I have very little faith we’ll ever see Zojja again. THIS was the moment for a DE reunion, especially after they revealed earlier in the season that Eir and Snaff’s spirits are still active.

Remind me, didn't she fall into a coma because of Mordremoth's cloning procedure?

@Daniel Handler.4816 said:

@"Svennis.3852" said:I have very little faith we’ll ever see Zojja again. THIS was the moment for a DE reunion, especially after they revealed earlier in the season that Eir and Snaff’s spirits are still active.

Remind me, didn't she fall into a coma because of Mordremoth's cloning procedure?

In a nutshell yeah. There's NPC talk in LS3 at I think the funeral of Eir that suggested she might be a gibbering wreck since then

Not Eir's funeral. There, we heard that she (and Logan) were "both laid up on [Rytlock's] last visit."

The bit about her brain being scrambled and her drooling is from overheard gossip in Rata Novus, along with gems like "Don't worry about Taimi beating us to it. Phlunt assures me he has her under his thumb." and "Taimi? Yes, cute as a bug. If my son were here, I'd introduce them. Imagine the progeny."

Clearly, a well-informed bunch.

I would have loved the episode and the season for being proper closure for the whole DE and Kralkatorrik story but... I just can't fully enjoy it this way. I don't even know if I was pissed or disappointed when I realised that 'this is it', the deed was done... without any mention of old DE members like Zojja, Eir and Snaff. The 'VA is uncooperative/unreachable' rumour for Zojja's absence means nothing as we have seen voice actors for characters like Rox got changed without a problem. It annoys me deeply especially since I can't really see how it is possible to reintroduce Zojja into story after she missed out on such important events, both for her and DE history.

This killed me as well. They deserved one last hurrah together, and I swore episode 4 was setting us up for it with the Eir and Snaff reveal. I didn’t expect them to get the final blow, but I honestly felt like it should have been Eir and Snaff as ghosts, with Loghan, Rytlock, Caith and... Lol who am I kidding, Zojja evaporated into the sun after Mordy.

Gwen though? I like Gwen a lot, but... why? Why though? Why her and not letting the team that tried and failed get round two?

I was very much like “oh man! They got a VO for Snaff! There must be something coming!”

Oh well, maybe they were at the topside battle and we had no idea, and DE will talk about it a bit, considering we have no idea where ghosts and dead folk go now that the Mists have been folded in half.

@Ultramex.1506 said:

@"Svennis.3852" said:Yes, it was more or less the ending I’d hoped for, but it’s clear the writing team was only trying to hit the story beats that were
absolutely
necessary to wrapping up this season. No time given to major NPCs who have been around for years (even Canach was eerily mute).

And you could at least give some closure by having Caithe, Rytlock, or Logan having one line of dialogue saying “This is for Snaff, Eir, and Zojja” to show they’re not
completely
forgotten by their longtime companions.

Well i hope in episode 1 of season 5, when we came home we are welcomed by Zojja despite her condition, however i think Anet have some problem with the voice actress, think about it she is absent in season 3/PoF/season 4, Logan is back in action but not Zojja? Come on...........And we better have some kitten closure with Eir,Snaff and Glint in the next episode.Edit: i just remembered that they changed Rox's voice so the "contract" theory is out of the window

I wonder if it's because Felicia Day is well-known and has a fanbase, and Anet was afraid they would be outraged if the voice changed.

I also wonder if they thought Zojja was not a popular enough character, and Taimi was introduced specifically to replace her as the token Asura on the commander's team. And that kind of makes me worry, because a lot of people have said they hate Taimi, and she is apparently dying, and now we have Gorrik taking a more prominent role, so maybe they plan to discard Taimi as well and leave him as our Asura team member.

@"Cragga the Eighty Third.6015" - If Taimi dies at least there will be a definitive resolution or “end” to her story. Zojja’s fate to exist in limbo seems somehow worse - we know she was on the verge of death, essentially, and then we never hear another word about her (and none of her comrades apparently know or care about how she’s doing).

@"Svennis.3852" said:From a lore standpoint it’s probably insignificant in the history of the world, but now DE will just be remembered as a failure.

Have you forgotten that they were there against Zhaitan and Mord? They might have failed against Kral, but they did succeed against Zhai as part of the Pact but unfortunately overpowered by Mord. Regardless, they were there and that's how they will be remembered.

@"Cragga the Eighty Third.6015" said:I also wonder if they thought Zojja was not a popular enough character, and Taimi was introduced specifically to replace her as the token Asura on the commander's team. And that kind of makes me worry, because a lot of people have said they hate Taimi, and she is apparently dying, and now we have Gorrik taking a more prominent role, so maybe they plan to discard Taimi as well and leave him as our Asura team member.

Considering that crystal smurfs are not biological and should not be affected by biological ailments, Taimi dying would suggest that Aurene is a real kitten.