For the last while, Ele has been in the state of "good but largely overshadowed" in almost every build it has. More specifically, I believe Tempest to be a decent support in PvP but it just pales in comparison to a Firebrand. I think the main buff to tempest would be nerfing Firebrand as its too dominant in every aspect of support, but I'm here to talk about Tempest. These are just some of my ideas to bring it up to par as a support option, I'll just go through all aspects of tempest and give my thoughts! (as a side note, if you're wondering who this random is and why do they think they're smart enough to give suggestions on all this: I played tempest in the gw2 Pro league and have been playing this game since launch )
I feel overloads are mostly good, if theres anything to take issue with, it'd be the 4 second cast time and the identity of fire overload.
- A 4 second cast time is a huge commitment, especially when you have to trait for the stability. I don't necessarily think this needs to change but I think lowering the casts to 3 seconds would be nice.
- As for fire overload, I feel it is the most useless for all intents and purposes. Water overload is useful for large healing, air overload is great for cleaving in team fights and downs, and earth overload gives stability and a lot of protection for damage mitigation. Fire overload is good for some damage but i feel in almost every circumstance, air overloading is better. Perhaps increasing the AoE slightly and increasing how much might it pulses, while reducing its damage, could be a change. This way it isn't competing with air overload for damage and instead is used as a way to buff party damage.
I think all the shouts are in a pretty decent spot, feels the burn is a bit underwhelming.
- Feel the burn could receive a buff to its raw damage or an increase to how many burns it applies, to give tempests a more offensive shout. Another idea is to maybe implement ammo for it.
Here lies my main suggestions for Tempest. I feel like some restructuring needs to be done. The adept traits are mostly fine but master and grandmaster could use some help.
- Speedy Conduit is really, really underwhelming as a trait. I think it would be nice to merge this trait into Lucid Singularity so that LS removes movement impeding conditions AND makes you go faster (with swiftness or superspeed). I think then Lucid Singularity would be deserving of a GM spot.
- From a PvP perspective, if you aren't taking Elemental Bastion, you're just trolling. Elemental Bastion is so core to any tempest build, its just crazy you have to trait for it. I think an accurate comparison would be if you had to take a GM trait on chrono to get alacrity on shatter, or if you had to take a trait on scourge so that punishment skills converted boons. If you merge speedy conduit and lucid singularity together, you leave a minor trait slot in which you can put Elemental Bastion. Note that it would just be the aura healing part, the passive can be removed.
- Now that we have a GM slot open, I think moving Harmonious Conduit there and buffing it to apply its stability in an AoE to allies as well (keep as 1 stack or up to 2). This would help tempest compete with Firebrand as to the boons it can provide. The damage modifier on the trait could move to another more dps oriented trait or it could stay and even apply to allies as a support option.
- Imbued Melodies is a strange trait to have as a GM, I don't exactly get its purpose. I think moving it down to the master tier and changing the flat 300 concentration to 120 base and extra 120 while wielding a warhorn would be a nice change.
- I realize Tempestuous Aria is not an sPvP focused trait, but that doesn't mean the sPvP version cant be changed to make it useful. It would be interesting if the might stacks were buffed up to ~4 stacks. EDIT: credits to jeffies for this suggestion, giving this added condi clear would be nice. it also lets tempests choose between this and invigorating torrents besed on matchup without having both
- Unstable Conduit is good, but it would be interesting if it was made to apply the aura to an AoE, so you could have access to allied shocking aura without taking powerful auras.
- Now after all these changes theres a slot left for a new GM trait. Tempest doesn't currently have many options for offensive builds so I think it would be interesting if a new damage focused GM trait was added. (comment ideas!)
tl;dr of trait changes:
- elemental bastion as a minor trait in place of speedy conduit
- Master traits are Tempestuous Aria, Invigoration Torrents, and adjusted Imbued Melodies
- Grandmaster traits are Lucid Singularity with added superspeed or swiftness, Harmonious Conduit but now AoE, and a new offensive trait to expand options for tempest builds
I see warhorn as being the support option for an offhand. If you want damage, you take dagger. If you want survivability, you take focus. So the main goal would be to move warhorn into a more supportive direction. A lot of changes are to speed up casts so that warhorn can have more reactive play.
- Lower the cooldown of heat sync
- Potentially have wildfire pulse might to allies standing in it, this way its easier to get value off of heat sync
- remove the delay from the cast of Tidal Surge to when it goes off
- Maybe give an effect for when water globe ends. (AoE Healing, or regen, or vigor, etc)
- make cyclone pull the entire area at the same time instead of a sweeping pull
- lightning orb right now is pretty strange to have on a support weapon, maybe change it to be a lightning field as well?
- speed up how fast the sandstorms from dust storm come out.
Thanks for reading all my suggestions and comment any ideas you have! I'm really open to discussion as I enjoy all elementalist builds and want to see it do well
Edit: obviously i'm biased towards making it good so also voice dissenting options