[merged] About the Skyscale Timegate...

@AmadeoKristoff.5493 said:I think the bottom line is that ANet has made a joke out of this because of their layoffs. They are trying to force us to play the content at THEIR pace. The time gating, the 250 currencies, everything has become a joke.

Had to add this bit. 25 per character, per heart, per day for Domain of Istan. this is not so bad. Why is the rest limited to 5 per?! What were you thinking, ANet?! My mind is so numb for all this ridiculousness. Whoever came up with all this damned ideas needs to be seriously fired, without severance or any other benefit.

I used to get people to play this game. I used to convince my friends to buy the game and play it. I have been playing GW since the first game, read every novel. But now I am just speechless. I am telling my friends to stay away. ANet is really destroying a game that was really good when it began. But looks like ANet lost its way.

@AmadeoKristoff.5493 said:

@AmadeoKristoff.5493 said:I think the bottom line is that ANet has made a joke out of this because of their layoffs. They are trying to force us to play the content at THEIR pace. The time gating, the 250 currencies, everything has become a joke.

Had to add this bit. 25 per character, per heart, per day for Domain of Istan. this is not so bad. Why is the rest limited to 5 per?! What were you thinking, ANet?! My mind is so numb for all this ridiculousness. Whoever came up with all this damned ideas needs to be seriously fired, without severance or any other benefit.

I used to get people to play this game. I used to convince my friends to buy the game and play it. I have been playing GW since the first game, read every novel. But now I am just speechless. I am telling my friends to stay away. ANet is really destroying a game that was really good when it began. But looks like ANet lost its way.

Sadly, I agree on the currency. Istan was easy enough and reasonable. Even if I didn't have alts, it wouldn't be too long until I would have the needed currency just from hearts and the meta. The other maps can be mind numbing to farm and yield so little for the effort. I was still willing to do it with all my alts but....

Now imagine how I feel, having gone through all this grinding and timegating to hit a "no you don't get your Skyscale" because of a stupid catch game. This was poorly implemented in every way.

@Aerlen.5326 said:

Sadly, I agree on the currency. Istan was easy enough and reasonable. Even if I didn't have alts, it wouldn't be too long until I would have the needed currency just from hearts and the meta. The other maps can be mind numbing to farm and yield so little for the effort. I was still willing to do it with all my alts but....

Now imagine how I feel, having gone through all this grinding and timegating to hit a "no you don't get your Skyscale" because of a stupid catch game. This was poorly implemented in every way.

I had no problem with the catch, nor with hide and seek to be honest. I am just sick and tired of the time gating, then after you come out of all of that, now you are stuck farming 250 of each bloody currency. I have no complaints with Domain of Istan's amounts, but 5 per of the others is just a goddamn joke. As I said, whoever came up with the idea needs to be fired, and whoever agreed to implement it, needs to be fired too. The game has gone severely downhill. For someone like me who was a hardcore fan and always chose GW games over any other MMO, I have lost my love for it, and i am just numb. I have reached a point that I will not be recommending nor encouraging any of my friends to play this game, but in fact, telling them to stay away. I will also no longer be looking forward to the new contents and stuff. This was the last straw for me. I thought griffon was bad (gold sink), but the skyscale took the cake.

Did a little experiment yesterday.Installed Taco addon and started harvesting nodes on 3-4 maps for mistonium, inscribed shards and diflourite crystals + doing the meta.My route was harvest all nodes on a map then open the lfg and join another map with fresh nodes. Did this 3-4 times on each map and did the meta events in between.The result - 157 min farming = 250+ mistonium, inscirbed shards, diflourite crystals.So I can assume that if you absolutely have 0 of all 6 currency it will take no more than 5 hours to get everything. This is without map completions or doing any hearts.

The funny thing is that some players said it would take months to farm these. Lets assume months = 3 months. If that player plays only during the weekends, these are ~25 days. Let's assume they are not that fast as me and this would take them 10 hours. This means that these players will play between 25-30 min each day in order to complete the farming. Ask yourself the question, are you playing only during the weekends and only 20-30 min per day in order to state that it will take you several months to complete the farm?

At first I was irritated, but then I just kind of sat back and started doing the collections and I'm going to be honest, it hasn't been that bad. It's actually been kind of enjoyable to revisit areas I haven't been to in a while, possibly do a quest chain that I had skipped previously. It really hasn't been that awful, it is something to do in a game that is all about repetitive meta's.

It’s been nice seeing so many people in maps farming currency, that it probably justifies the design choice completely. I trust the jumping puzzles are getting just as much attention again too. I do fear the branded ley line anomaly is a bit too tricky and hidden to make stragglers able to complete the collection. It looks like in 2 years a wiki article had never even been made for it it was so hidden.

Only the first three collections were annoying because of the repetition of visiting the same places three times in a row. After that the rest of the journey has been okay. Getting it completed today :)

Timegates have not been a problem for me because I only play about 1-2 hours per day anyway so it kinda worked out nicely.

@"bOTEB.1573" said:Did a little experiment yesterday.Installed Taco addon and started harvesting nodes on 3-4 maps for mistonium, inscribed shards and diflourite crystals + doing the meta.My route was harvest all nodes on a map then open the lfg and join another map with fresh nodes. Did this 3-4 times on each map and did the meta events in between.The result - 157 min farming = 250+ mistonium, inscirbed shards, diflourite crystals.So I can assume that if you absolutely have 0 of all 6 currency it will take no more than 5 hours to get everything. This is without map completions or doing any hearts.

The funny thing is that some players said it would take months to farm these. Lets assume months = 3 months. If that player plays only during the weekends, these are ~25 days. Let's assume they are not that fast as me and this would take them 10 hours. This means that these players will play between 25-30 min each day in order to complete the farming. Ask yourself the question, are you playing only during the weekends and only 20-30 min per day in order to state that it will take you several months to complete the farm?

Yeah right..

I had 250+ for everything except mistonium, inscribed, and mist..

Took me nearly 5 hours just to get all these doing hearts on alts, metas barely gave anything.. and the nodes are only good when you have high extra gathering chance

@Gambino.2109 said:

@"bOTEB.1573" said:Did a little experiment yesterday.Installed Taco addon and started harvesting nodes on 3-4 maps for mistonium, inscribed shards and diflourite crystals + doing the meta.My route was harvest all nodes on a map then open the lfg and join another map with fresh nodes. Did this 3-4 times on each map and did the meta events in between.The result - 157 min farming = 250+ mistonium, inscirbed shards, diflourite crystals.So I can assume that if you absolutely have 0 of all 6 currency it will take no more than 5 hours to get everything. This is without map completions or doing any hearts.

Yeah right..

I had 250+ for everything except mistonium, inscribed, and mist..

Took me nearly 5 hours just to get all these doing hearts on alts, metas barely gave anything.. and the nodes are only good when you have high extra gathering chance

Exactly, you were doing it wrong.

Sorry, but I have a problem believing that when there's a daily account cap for each type of node, and each node strike only has a chance of giving you 1 of the currency.

From what info I could find, you're limited to about ~80 or so nodes for each currency across all characters, which means that the only way you'd only get close to having enough if you're starting from zero, is if you get super lucky and manage to get 1 for every single swing for about ~240 total. And that's statistically improbable.

Also, not to say the metas don't give you anything, but considering that, assuming you only spent about half an hour farming nodes,, you'd've only been running each maps' meta for less than ~45 minutes, which doesn't seem anywhere near enough time to get enough to get a good enough payoff from doing metas, since most events in metas will only award you with 1 - 5 of the currency.

Most nodes can be used by each character on an account and will reset (for that character) a few hours after gathering.

Exceptions:Some nodes take approximately 23 hours to reset, including permanent rich metal veins, node farms, and those that produce Orichalcum Ore or Ancient Wood Logs.Each account is limited to gathering three Blooming Passiflora nodes per day. Each character is limited to gathering 15 Passiflora nodes per day.Temporary rich metal veins can be used in each instance of the same zone.

@"bOTEB.1573" said:

Most nodes can be used by each character on an account and will reset (for that character) a few hours after gathering.

Exceptions:Some nodes take approximately 23 hours to reset, including permanent rich metal veins, node farms, and those that produce Orichalcum Ore or Ancient Wood Logs.Each account is limited to gathering three Blooming Passiflora nodes per day. Each character is limited to gathering 15 Passiflora nodes per day.Temporary rich metal veins can be used in each instance of the same zone.

Yes, but you claimed to do that for 3 maps over the course of 2 and a half hours, I doubt they reset that quickly.

@CJtheBigBear.9610 said:

@"bOTEB.1573" said:

Yes, but you claimed to do that for 3 maps over the course of 2 and a half hours, I doubt they reset that quickly.

EACH CHARACTER

@"bOTEB.1573" said:

EACH CHARACTER

The TacO guide I'm looking at still says there's an account cap at 80 nodes, regardless of character, at least for Mistonium. And I know Diflourite has it too, because I saw the limit get reached when every node disappeared from my map after farming with my 6th character.

@CJtheBigBear.9610 said:

@"bOTEB.1573" said:

EACH CHARACTER

The TacO guide I'm looking at still says there's an
account
cap at 80 nodes, regardless of character, at least for Mistonium. And I know Diflourite has it too, because I saw the limit get reached when every node disappeared from my map after farming with my 6th character.

Don't know I can mine them over and over. But tried to google and found the first result which also states there is some kind of limit but he suggest to swap instances and character and again mine them over and over.Look:https://www.freetoplaymmorpgs.com/guild-wars-2/guild-wars-2-mistonium-farming-options-in-jahai-bluffs-with-taco-markers/

@"bOTEB.1573" said:

Don't know I can mine them over and over. But tried to google and found the first result which also states there is some kind of limit but he suggest to swap instances and character and again mine them over and over.Look:https://www.freetoplaymmorpgs.com/guild-wars-2/guild-wars-2-mistonium-farming-options-in-jahai-bluffs-with-taco-markers/

That's the same guide I'm looking at. He says there's an account limit, but I'm pretty sure he means you can swap characters and maps to farm nodes until the cap is reached.

Whatever he means, I know the cap exists, because I can see it on maps I've farmed today.

Branded Mass nodes stopped spawning for me about 3 hours ago in Thunderhead. I went back, even on a character that hadn't farmed there yet, and no nodes spawned.

Even moreso, I finished doing Diflourite in Sandswept about 7 hours ago. I saw the mini-map, as the other nodes all disappeared after farming my last node then. 7 hours later, and I see absolutely no nodes. They haven't regenerated, and they aren't even spawning for me.

Not sure how you could just keep mining them. Either my account's glitched, or yours is.

There IS an account limit on some nodes. I don't mine S4 ones too often but I know that there's a limit on almost every S3 one aside from berries.

There is NO limit on how many times you can do a heart and grab the currency reward from the vendor. Not yet anyhow.

I just got mine today!

I enjoyed most of the collection cuz it allowed me to get achievements from S4 maps... i never do them when they come out and it's hard to find groups after 1st week of release to do metas. so i like that ppl started doing them again.

I did not enjoy farming 250 currencies of each S4 map... it was torture.

Pros of skyscale: : it stays in air, it has the coolest dismount attack reminds me of RP as danerys tangeryan killing ppl in the citycons: clings to wall randomly and then just stop and u can't move it for 0.5 second. super slow. stamina gets used too easily. if u r looking for practicality u prob shouldn't get it if u dont like the collections..

a16XtjL.jpg

@AmadeoKristoff.5493 said:

I'm not going to argue over whether the currency cost is too much or not, but I think I know why istan gives so much more currency. Kralkatite ore only grants ~4 VM when consumed, whereas they made the other currencies from the other maps drop way more, something like 20 on average?That's why kralk ore is also cheaper to buy in Dragonfall. Is it fair that they ask for so much of the other currencies when they are harder to get? Idk. I feel like the 5 per heart wouldn't be bad if things like inscribed shards didn't have this weird daily cap on the gathering nodes per account instead of per character.

@"bOTEB.1573" said:

It's a daily cap per account, where some maps have fewer gathering nodes on a map instance than the daily cap, allowing you to go back on another character to continue gathering. However, the nodes that have a higher cap, like difluorite and mistonium, the nodes don't always drop the currency. (Though the mist touched caches in jahai always drop 1).It's not unlimited, and if you've already run around and gathered to cap you are resigned to doing hearts, map comp, and daily metas. It was particularly bad in kourna imo, where the cap is something like 25 nodes per day. You're guaranteed a shard and also get some unidentified gear though. But paired with kourna also only giving 5 shards for map comp, it was extremely annoying

After acquiring it at 10:30 PM EST Wednesday evening, I passed out. When I came to, I decided to max out the mastery at Dragonfall. That meta was awesome! The optional bosses are also great and made it a huge loot farm. If I did the meta on an alt, I would not have enough space for all the loot.

The meta and bosses afterwards are best done with Griffon and Springer for sure. How could the Skyscale even keep up? I honestly thought this would be THE map for it.

My only hope now is that they don't force its usage.

I really fooled around with the thing but so far I think it would be best for: recording beetle races from a set point and slow exploration of maps. It has that great fire blast thing upon dismount, but I don't see the practicality in it if you're moving slow enough for ranged enemies to abuse you from the ground. By the time you reach your attack point for your skyscale to fly by, you may have already been dismounted by mobs who aggro from Lake Doric no matter where you are: Cantha, Elona, the unending sea, etc.

Going back to the entire collection and process to get the mount again, I will reiterate that it isn't really worth it (meaning the mount should be much more than what it is to justify the process). I had to make it fun for myself. For me, I used my beetle to make it enjoyable. Unlike people who had stockpiled all the materials and map currencies, I didn't have much. I only have one absolute advantage: many many many alts (and tenacity). I use this game to test design looks I want to implement for other things so it just turned out that way. All but 2 of my characters are max level. So I spammed hearts.

In the Domain of Kourna, I spammed the supply transport heart from Faren's position to the camp. With Roller Beetle, you can make the round trip in less than a minute, 40 secs or less if you take an ideal line.

In Jahai Bluffs, I spammed the southern heart where you chuck a shard at the dummies. My characters all weren't positioned there so I used the Sun's Refuge portal and stepped out into Jahai. From there? Roller beetle to the heart avoiding brand storms and branded all over the place. Fun racing.

In Thunderhead, I spammed two hearts. One to rally troops where I used roller beetle through that narrow corridor from the forge. Then the most fun heart I did was the fishing (reminded me of SAB w2z2, lol). The fishing itself wasn't the treat though, it was getting there from the top of the mountain. Of course the Roller beetle is the fastest way down since I found several routes which were intended by the designers that were full of magic to collect between ramps and jumps as well as an achievement where after the downhill run you hit a specific ramp to splash into the ice fishing hole. That was a nice surprise. I started picking out landing points after that for my beetle lol.

One of the worst things that happened as a result of the collection are the no effort, almost entirely afk commanded Dragonfall maps who are only doing it for the minimum requirements for the skyscale. Please just run the full meta, people will be in and out regardless.

To those who are wondering about mounts, it would serve you best to go after the griffon over the skyscale since it is useful in many more situations than the skyscale, even on the Skyscale's home map for the awesome meta they have there. For me, it really is a vanity mount and people are already using it afk in town.

donewiththis

@"XYLO.7031" said:After acquiring it at 10:30 PM EST Wednesday evening, I passed out. When I came to, I decided to max out the mastery at Dragonfall. That meta was awesome! The optional bosses are also great and made it a huge loot farm. If I did the meta on an alt, I would not have enough space for all the loot.

The meta and bosses afterwards are best done with Griffon and Springer for sure. How could the Skyscale even keep up? I honestly thought this would be THE map for it.

My only hope now is that they don't force its usage.

I really fooled around with the thing but so far I think it would be best for: recording beetle races from a set point and slow exploration of maps. It has that great fire blast thing upon dismount, but I don't see the practicality in it if you're moving slow enough for ranged enemies to abuse you from the ground. By the time you reach your attack point for your skyscale to fly by, you may have already been dismounted by mobs who aggro from Lake Doric no matter where you are: Cantha, Elona, the unending sea, etc.

Going back to the entire collection and process to get the mount again, I will reiterate that it isn't really worth it (meaning the mount should be much more than what it is to justify the process). I had to make it fun for myself. For me, I used my beetle to make it enjoyable. Unlike people who had stockpiled all the materials and map currencies, I didn't have much. I only have one absolute advantage: many many many alts (and tenacity). I use this game to test design looks I want to implement for other things so it just turned out that way. All but 2 of my characters are max level. So I spammed hearts.

In the Domain of Kourna, I spammed the supply transport heart from Faren's position to the camp. With Roller Beetle, you can make the round trip in less than a minute, 40 secs or less if you take an ideal line.

In Jahai Bluffs, I spammed the southern heart where you chuck a shard at the dummies. My characters all weren't positioned there so I used the Sun's Refuge portal and stepped out into Jahai. From there? Roller beetle to the heart avoiding brand storms and branded all over the place. Fun racing.

In Thunderhead, I spammed two hearts. One to rally troops where I used roller beetle through that narrow corridor from the forge. Then the most fun heart I did was the fishing (reminded me of SAB w2z2, lol). The fishing itself wasn't the treat though, it was getting there from the top of the mountain. Of course the Roller beetle is the fastest way down since I found several routes which were intended by the designers that were full of magic to collect between ramps and jumps as well as an achievement where after the downhill run you hit a specific ramp to splash into the ice fishing hole. That was a nice surprise. I started picking out landing points after that for my beetle lol.

One of the worst things that happened as a result of the collection are the no effort, almost entirely afk commanded Dragonfall maps who are only doing it for the minimum requirements for the skyscale. Please just run the full meta, people will be in and out regardless.

To those who are wondering about mounts, it would serve you best to go after the griffon over the skyscale since it is useful in many more situations than the skyscale, even on the Skyscale's home map for the awesome meta they have there. For me, it really is a vanity mount and people are already using it afk in town.

donewiththis

The mount was over-hyped, but from what I feel, it is nothing more than aesthetics. The idea of "who doesn't want to ride a dragon?" idea. Nothing more. ANet really screwed this one up. I hope they actually make it useful. If after they tweak it, they force to use it, i don't mind. But if they keep it as is but force us to use it, I am done. I am already very close to quitting, and as I said, I have been telling my friends to not come back, and preventing other friends who never touched GW2 from either not getting PoF or not playing it at all. I been recommending FFXIV and the likes instead.

I finished Tuesday night, 1 week from release, and can say that I still feel it was too much for too little. Usually after an exceptionally long quest the feeling of accomplishment takes away the bitterness of too much of a sink achievement, but after having the masteries maxed and playing a few days my conclusion is that the mount is nice, but not worth a week of the worst collection and gold sink I've seen short of legendaries.Hope Anet chalks this up as a bad move and refrains from it in the future (Am I missing the ability to descend rapidly without dismounting or did Anet really miss that crucial function?)