What is you main reason for crafting legendary weapons ? — Guild Wars 2 Forums

What is you main reason for crafting legendary weapons ?

Glider.5792Glider.5792 Member ✭✭✭
edited May 23, 2019 in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Due to a discussion about the legendaries in a recent thread i wonder, what is the main purpose behind crafting the legendary items for most players.
This poll focuses on weapons only since all weapons offer 3 things, unique skin, effects and stat swap functionality while armors have either only stat swap or also includes a unique skin (depending on game mode).
Try to answer the poll with the main reason. The thing which sparks your interest the most.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeFWMeskOJhk8N-SvOFCJXA
Fractal speed kills, raids, Black Lion Chest Openings, random.

What is you main reason for crafting legendary weapons ? 186 votes

I make legendary weapons mainly for cosmetic purposes
52%
saerni.2584nottsgman.8206Haishao.6851Fenom.9457SilverWolfAkira.1024muerte.3842Rauderi.8706Glider.5792Danikat.8537Vavume.8065Sirius Lemuria Draconis.7864Lucentfir.7430BunjiKugashira.9754Tiger.9786Esterie.7409Inculpatus cedo.9234Randulf.7614Musaroxy.2874Fundor.2098Haleydawn.3764 98 votes
I make legendary weapons mainly for stat swap funcionality
19%
TheGrimm.5624Loosmaster.8263starhunter.6015Ashantara.8731calb.3128Trinnitty.8256Skyrum.5483Warobaz.9543bOTEB.1573Frostfang.5109GWMO.4785ZeftheWicked.3076Shining One.1635Knighthonor.4061DanAlcedo.3281Cristalyan.5728Larenc.1269Eloc Freidon.5692Myriada.7580Shadowzerk.4715 37 votes
I do not prefer one above the other
7%
Matt H.6142Astralporing.1957Linken.6345Absconditus.6804ArthurDent.9538Cyninja.2954hash.8462RoterFuchs.9216Shikaru.7618elzerro.6710Flying.6509MoriMoriMori.5349JohnnyV.9526lisica.6583 14 votes
Other reasons (achievments, etc...)
19%
Jethro.9376Endless Soul.5178DeanBB.4268Alatar.7364Wizler.8192Ayrilana.1396Konig Des Todes.2086Jwake.7013Game of Bones.8975CaelestiaEmpyrea.2617linamaria.1830Tyncale.1629Nogothanc.5014thehipone.6812Pixlboy.5296Kindeller.3072SweetPotato.7456lokh.2695Felix.7289Etterwyn.5263 37 votes
<1

Comments

• Rasimir.6239Rasimir.6239 Member ✭✭✭✭

Out of my three legendary weapons I have crafted two because I thoroughly enjoyed the precursor collection and finished the weapon because most of the "work" was done by then anyway. The third was crafted because I dropped a precursor (my only one so far) to a weapon that I both use a lot and really liked the skin (focus).

• Cyninja.2954Cyninja.2954 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 23, 2019

Legendary weapons only, I have crafted over 15 weapons so far (going by how many Gifts of Exploration I have used because I can't really remember all the ones crafted since many of them were sold).

Most legendaries I have kept/crafted were initially for the skin (with Twilight and Sunrise seeing the most use before getting Exordium). Other popular skins are also Bolt, The Shining Blade and The Flameseeker Prohecies, all of which see use on almost any character I own (unless they absolutely do not fit the theme I have in mind for the character).

The question as such is a bit misleading too since legendary weapons and the stat changing ability is limited at best. Most weapons have a specific role and are very often divided into power or condition weapons. The most variety one gets here is between support and damage builds, as such support classes will see the most variation, as well as WvW players (who might want defensive stats on their weapon).

For normal PvE use, most weapons (Greatsword being a prime example, seeing as there is no condition greatsword builds) need no more than 2, maximum 3 different stats. Which is significantly cheaper to acquire with multiple ascended and bar the inventory space, also easier to manage.

This is different to say armor or trinkets, which see way higher benefit from their legendary form since those items work with any build (have no skills associated with them). Yet even here, 3 ascended sets will cover most every game aspect and be significantly cheaper (in case of trinkets) and somewhat cheaper (in case of armor).

• Yannir.4132Yannir.4132 Member ✭✭✭✭

I've only crafted 1 legendary weapon because I wanted a legendary weapon. For no reason beyond that.
    I've done many other legendaries but only 1 weapon.

• Glider.5792Glider.5792 Member ✭✭✭

I made all of gen1 legendary weapons, 2 gen2 weapons, and an extra Kraitkin
    First weapon i crafted was Twilight, purely because i thought it looked amazing, afterwards it was Kamohoali'i Kotaki, Juggernaut, Eternity.... I set myself the goal to get all the weapons which warrior uses. Some i liked the skin, some not, but i just wanted to make/have all of them. After finishing all of those i just followed up by crafting all the others for my ele/thief.

The second Kraitkin was made purely for "Twice-told legend".

With gen2 weapons, i lost interest in crafting them, even thought i farmed ALOT of gold to prepare for HoT however, i felt like they lost their prestige, that legendary weapons became too common, too easy to get. When Shining Blade released, i crafted it, since i thought it would look nice on mesmers, but i swapped shortly after back to Bolt, since it got updated effects. The other gen2 weapon i made was Astralaria, since warrior axes finaly became popular/good again, and i wanted to make something new/refreshing after like a year of nothing.

I still use all legendary skins (except kudzu, using chaos/fused bow instead) on my main(warr), and at some point in the future ill craft Pharus, since it would fit radiant armor amazingly, and new greatsword, just because its my favourite weapon.

Soo, from my view this is how my main reasoning for crafting went:

• Started as wanting them for their apperance/effects
    • Continue crafting them as a sort of goal/achievment
    • Now making them again (rarely) for their apperance

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeFWMeskOJhk8N-SvOFCJXA
    Fractal speed kills, raids, Black Lion Chest Openings, random.

• Samnang.1879Samnang.1879 Member ✭✭✭✭

never intended to make legendaries... but now i have all of the 2nd gen legendaries except hammer and torch cuz i dont like those. i dont like pharus either, but the other alternative is a shooting flower LB and im just like... that makes no sense. like i dont mind feminine things, i love hummingbird skimmer and the butterfly jackal... but things like The flower longbow, the my little pony shortbow and the weird mutated peacock raptor don't make sense to me... when it's ugly it's ugly.

bolt was my first, but i didn't make a 2nd legendary until nevermore, when i saw that i was like, i got to have this... and the addiction sort of strengthen from there on... i went on to make hope, then astralprojections, and the rest is history.

i'm still going to collect more legendaries, but i have to save for a permanent bank first xD... i used all my gold on 60+ mount skins and other stupid gemstore stuff i never even use U___U;;;;

Anet: give us in-game customizable human NPC companion please
    Please, no more balance changes, or at least reset our gears so we don't have to waste gold changing gears every time.
    Please have option to not receive bloodstone dusts, empyreal fragments, dragonite etc

• bOTEB.1573bOTEB.1573 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 23, 2019

+
    +
    Achievements

All 3 are equally interesting to me.

Wishlist:
    Everything that kills me should be nerfed
    Remove all time gates - I play more than some people yet I receive the same rewards per day/week (PvP/WvW tickets etc)
    ANET developments/events and everything else should be in a schedule with the time I play

• Etterwyn.5263Etterwyn.5263 Member ✭✭✭

money. :p

Actually I treated myself to Juggernaut and Flameseeker Prophecies earlier this month, because why not? Unfortunately I could not make myself like the way the hammer changes my armor look so I transmuted it. Should've sold it. :anguished:

Shield rocks though. No regrets there! I have 2 gifts of mastery left but I will probably sell those too.

WvW™ - where you find more Red Rings of Death than an Xbox repair facility.

• Blocki.4931Blocki.4931 Member ✭✭✭✭

Personal.

Enjoyment.

Very passive aggressively chuckling, because I'm totally not mad on the Internet.

• Eloc Freidon.5692Eloc Freidon.5692 Member ✭✭✭✭

Stat swapping is the primary reason especially for armor (quit after half a set for reason that isn't about grind I made a thread about). The cosmetic part is just an epic bonus. They also are incorporated into certain abilities that use projectiles for extra oomph.

I feel epic having some of the typical uber items you find in end game rpgs.

• Gop.8713Gop.8713 Member ✭✭✭✭

The stat swapping is nice, but it's more impt for the armor than weapons. I mostly make the weapons bc they're there . . .

• ZeftheWicked.3076ZeftheWicked.3076 Member ✭✭✭✭

Stat swap is my main reason. Selling some of them to keep cash flowing is 2nd.

I love to create my builds and i hate carrying junkyard of gear in my inventory cause i need different stats/upgrades slotted. Legendary are the answer to this bane, but a long and costly one. So far got full lege light armor and heavy armor but only twilight from weapons. Plan to fix this now.

• Other reasons (achievments, etc...)

I crafted legendary weapons just to sell them and upgrade my account or buy QoL equipment.

• SweetPotato.7456SweetPotato.7456 Member ✭✭✭

Completion.

• GWMO.4785GWMO.4785 Member ✭✭✭

Character progression mainly. Tho i do swap stats alot (mesmer). And dont really want to fiddle around with kitten of gear in inventory/bank. So i like the stat swap function on the legendary. Changing skin back to what i had before obviously. Legendaries done right ;ok_hand;

• Game of Bones.8975Game of Bones.8975 Member ✭✭✭✭

I crafted Nevermore because it looks awesome, I'm a fan of Edgar Allan Poe, and it has a great story of crafting.

I'll admit that I bought the Predator (thanks for crafting it for me, enjoy the gold). It looks like a serious rifle and I get good use out of it with my Deadeye.

Now I'm waiting for a longbow I like for my Dragonhunter and Ranger and a shortbow for my Renegade and Thief.

"That's what" -- She

• Aerlen.5326Aerlen.5326 Member ✭✭✭

Flying. Unicorn. Arrows.

What other reason is there?

• Knighthonor.4061Knighthonor.4061 Member ✭✭✭✭

this hard. Only Legendary I care about for looks alone are Greatsword and Shield. the rest I would like for Stat swap

• Ashantara.8731Ashantara.8731 Member ✭✭✭✭

Stat Swap. Most of them get reskinned by me immediately. ;)

Only exceptions, because they are pretty: The Flameseeker Prophecies, Nevermore, Sharur, Frenzy (I know ;) ), Howler (not as pretty, because of the snake part, but okay).

• Hynax.9536Hynax.9536 Member ✭✭

Money.
    I mean, legendaries are cool and all, but there is a lot of Skins i would rather use instead of a legendary weapon and even the stat swap is not that handy since you could craft lots of ascended gear and buy inventory slots to keep them with the spent money (and in my case, all i'm gonna have is 2 builds per character at max, one for PVE and one for WvW). So i'm better crafting one, selling and buying lots of gemstore skins or BLchest skins with the money. ;)

• mtpelion.4562mtpelion.4562 Member ✭✭✭

I have 6 different Legendaries (7, since 1 was done twice for the achievement) with 2 more in production and all except 2 of them were done for the same reason: I got the Precursor.

The 2 with a different reason were the 2nd Frostfang for the Twice Told Legend title and Twilight (in progress) because I had Sunrise and figured I'd go for Eternity at some point.

• Ayrilana.1396Ayrilana.1396 Member ✭✭✭✭

To have them. I have all of the weapons and they’re still sitting in my bank.

• Tails.9372Tails.9372 Member ✭✭✭✭

They're the only kind of weapons with matching sound / projectile sfx. Also, since the gear design (not talking about the skins but in general) is extremely bland in this game there's not much else to spend your money on once you got a full set of ascended gear.

• Ultramex.1506Ultramex.1506 Member ✭✭✭

After crafted Juggernaut, i gave up and go for ascended, easier to obtain and account bound, however i'm willing to grind for legendary armor.

• Westenev.5289Westenev.5289 Member ✭✭✭✭

My dreamer shoots pretty pink unicorns dancing on painbows.

It was simply too awesome not to have.

• TheGrimm.5624TheGrimm.5624 Member ✭✭✭✭

I like most of the skins but have replaced the skin with another at times. If they didn't have swap-able stats probably wouldn't have made the ones I have. 6 so far and working on the next 2. Didn't realize till the thread from yesterday that the interchangeable stats were added after launch.

Envy the Madman his musing when Death comes to make fools of us all.
    De Mortuis Nil Nisi Bonum.
    TheGrimm PoTBS/GW1/WAR/Rift/GW2/MWO/ESO/WoT/WoW/D2/HoTS/Civ6/CU/AoC

• Alatar.7364Alatar.7364 Member ✭✭✭✭

To sell them

~ I Aear cân ven na mar

• DeanBB.4268DeanBB.4268 Member ✭✭✭✭

I've crafted 4 legendaries. The precursor for Flameseeker dropped for me, so made that first and sold it, having no need for a shield. Bought permanent merchant and bank with the funds, much more useful. Then I've bought the Pre's for Dreamer, Quip and Meteorologicus, all three of which I use.

I like the skins and effects, stat swapping and sigil exchange, so those all play a role. But honestly, if I didn't have 4000+ gold sitting in the bank, I would be just as happy with Ascended weapons.

I don't change builds all that often, but maybe when build templates/saving is a thing, I will, so the legendaries will be more useful.

I'm working on a third world completion for my next two legendaries. Probably Kudzu and Bifrost. I'm too lazy for legendary journeys, so buying Pre's is it for me. I do save up rares to toss into the forge when I get 4 swords, greatswords, etc, but no luck there yet for me.

X__________________________
    (Signature Required)

• Steve The Cynic.3217Steve The Cynic.3217 Member ✭✭✭✭

My reasons are kind of mixed. I'm not really fussed by the stat swap as such, but there was:

• A big pile of "for the looks"
    • A certain amount of "because it's Legendary"
    • A chunk of "cheevo"
    • A lump of "It keeps me busy and gives me a reason to do map-completion again"

In fact, the cheevo thing (Twice-told Legend, natch) is why I made the second copy of Quip, well, that and the stunning absurdity of an Asura Daredevil with a pair of Quips.

@Biff.5312 said:
    Exercise your whimsy.

• Elothar.4382Elothar.4382 Member ✭✭✭

I am not one to switch stats very often. I tend to select a build and gear that works for me and then stick to it. If I want to try something different, I'm more apt to create a new character and outfit them accordingly. Ascended weapons are relatively accessible so I just make the legendaries for the skins.

• Danikat.8537Danikat.8537 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 23, 2019

I've crafted two so far - The Dreamer and The Bifrost - and both times it was for the appearance (I guess I like rainbows). I'm planning to craft at least a few more - Claw of the Khan-Ur for my charr thief, Nevermore for my norn necromancer/Raven devotee and maybe the new greatsword for my guardian and all of those will be purely for the appearance too.

(I also make a second Dreamer because I wanted to do the precursor collection, but I sold that so I don't think it counts here.)

I've had The Dreamer for years and I think I've changed the stats on it twice. I've changed them more on The Bifrost, (maybe 5 or 6 times) but mainly because I was passing it between characters. It would still have been much cheaper and easier to make multiple ascended staffs, and certainly cheaper to make 1 and stat swap them.

Danielle Aurorel - Desolation EU. Mini Collector.

"I know that I'm born and I know that I'll die, the in-between is mine."

• Cragga the Eighty Third.6015Cragga the Eighty Third.6015 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 23, 2019

When I was new I loved the footyprints and wanted a legendary for that. I started on Kudzu, but after I started using axes instead of LB, I changed to Astralaria. When the Holosmith sword came out, I decided to recreate my Jedi character from head canon and KOTOR 2. Thief had moves I liked and fit the character, and could use a sword. A laser gun seemed like the appropriate alternate weapon. So H.O.P.E. Now I have a librarian themed character and am working (slowly) on Ars Goetica so she can whip out an amazing big book in combat.

I really enjoy doing the collection phases, so I actually have my bank clogged up with Part 1 of several legendary collections. (On the down side, I hate the material grinding, so I have not made any precursors apart from the ones I lusted after enough to finish.)

While I did do it for the skin. I mostly did it because I felt like I needed to. Like a rite of passage. Had been playing for a time, I had the resources, I had the experience. I had reached that point, so I felt that I had to take that final step.

• TwinFrozr.6214TwinFrozr.6214 Member ✭✭
    edited July 18, 2019

I have completed 8 legendaries for somewhat different reasons, sorted by time of completion:

1. The Dreamer: Couldn't afford Dusk for Twilight, and liked the rainbow finisher on gemstore. Dreamer it went, for its looks.
    2. Frenzy: Still couldn't afford Dusk, and did quite a lot of fractals requiring infusion slots. Since Frenzy was the cheapest legendary out there, with an equally cheap precursor, it became the decision thanks to the 5 AP.
    3. Twilight: Dream leggy from the start. Pure looks there.
    4. Sunrise: Dawn dropped from the toilet. Completed it to finish...
    5. ... Eternity. Not only for looks, but for completing legendary collection (25 AP).
    6. Kamohoali'i Kotaki: Got Carcharias drop in fractals, sold it. Somewhat drunk the other week, regretted that decision badly. Bought another Carcharias off TP and completed it. Quite an impulse thing honestly.
    7. Incinerator: For the extra AP, at the cost of gold, this was the first one intended to be crafted. There were also a remote desire of Twice-Told Legend to it. Nevertheless, I turned out to slack with collections so much that I after 2 years decided to give up. Got Spark off TP, and completed Incinerator.
    8. Incinerator: The first Incinerator finally threw a motivational spark into the "old" Spark collection. Purely for 25 AP and Twice-Told Legend.

Working on:

• Kudzu: Mainly for cosmetical reasons; always loved that natural look on a natural looking Ranger. However, in no small part also because of Hidden Garden.
    • WvW, PvP, and fractal backs: All of them for raid stat swapability and collections - only Ad Infinitum for looks.
    • Legendary armor: mainly for stat swapability.
  • Jethro.9376Jethro.9376 Member ✭✭✭

I start out of boredom and pick the one that would look good on the class i like to play at the given time

• aspirine.6852aspirine.6852 Member ✭✭✭✭

I don't. I hate crafting in general and the collection of what seems to me like an endless amount of mats makes it even worse. For me crafting always has been a weak solution for game devs that do not how to control good drops. Like they also could not do in GW1 but in that game at least you could farm for them.

• vyncius.6105vyncius.6105 Member ✭✭✭

I craft them just to flex

• sitarskee.5738sitarskee.5738 Member ✭✭✭

To sell gold on ebay.

jk, gold2gem

I just like a reason to do things, right now it's getting all precursor crafting done. And I crafted two Frenzies just to get the Twice Told Legendary achievement with the cheapest legendary around :p

• Whitworth.7259Whitworth.7259 Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 18, 2019

I started playing just after HoT released and I was doing some events in queensdale when a huge charr warrior wielding Twilight showed up, blasted through everything and ran off. Even though i had no idea what the weapon was, from that moment I knew I had to be like that.

• Wizler.8192Wizler.8192 Member ✭✭✭

It was always a long-term goal to have one legendary weapon someday. I enjoyed the tier-1 legendary collections but only went farther with Kudzu to get the hidden garden (once I got the precursor, I actually sold it to make Rodgort's Flame instead). But I had to farm so much wood it was crazy so I probably won't make any more unless I feel super bored and super rich. But Dawn dropped the other day during Mystic Forge daily and I was shocked! So now I have new options but it's sitting in my bank until I decide what to do.

• Astralporing.1957Astralporing.1957 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 19, 2019

I have crafted legendaries for both reasons. It's generally on a case-by-case basis. Although at the moment aestethics seem to be slightly ahead.

The whole point of a social game is to play with the people you want to play with, not be forced to play with the people you don't.

• Game of Bones.8975Game of Bones.8975 Member ✭✭✭✭

I have usually craft them for the skins.
    My Legendaries in order of preference: Nevermore, The Predator, Incinerator, The Binding of Ipos, Frostfang, and Twilight.
    I thought I'd like Twilight, but found it to be ridiculous looking for my characters and wish I had spent the time on something else.
    They give me something to work on when I'm bored. It usually takes a year or so of farming and finding the right groups to help with Fractals or special events.

"That's what" -- She

• Ygdrasill.9135Ygdrasill.9135 Member ✭✭✭

Hey, it's a great way to deal with a pesky overabundance of gold. ;-)

• Chichimec.9364Chichimec.9364 Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 19, 2019

You forgot an option:

• I don't bother with crafting legendaries, doesn't seem worth the bother
  • Fenom.9457Fenom.9457 Member ✭✭✭✭

To be the most prestigious ball of light and particle effects around!

Which is why I’m very very sad that the only legendary armor set with skins only acquirable in the legendary tier is from raids. Maybe if we’re lucky season 5 will add a general PvE set

HARRY! DIDYA PUT YER NAME IN DA GOBLET OF FIYAH?!

I have a bank tab FULL of mithril ingots and elder wood planks. I have to do something with them, and later Gen 2 legendaries are a decent way to spend them.

• thehipone.6812thehipone.6812 Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 19, 2019

Gives me something to do and direct play towards a goal. And what else am I going to do with a bank full of mats?

• Zeefa.3915Zeefa.3915 Member ✭✭✭

Primary reason is definitely looks. I could have made more already, but have had a hard time deciding which I like to make... besides kudzu, kudzu was an obvious choice for me.
    I am starting to lean towards making more simply for the purpose of something to do long term. (not going to craft any in a jiffy). I did enjoy the collections tremendously for the 2 I made so far, to the extend I am thoroughly disappointed about the lack of collections for the later gen 2 legends. So might do it just for that. (By the time I finish collection I might aswell finish the legendary)

• Endless Soul.5178Endless Soul.5178 Member ✭✭✭✭

I was leaning towards voting for the first option, but went with Other since I also want the achievements associated with crafting legendaries. So far I've only crafted Kudzu, Twilight, and The Binding of Ipos. Several others are in the works current;y, but I haven't quite decided which one will take precedence.

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Bekka | Akee | Feyyt | Nuumy | Tylee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Sixx | Claara | Conii | Jymm | Synn | Zeena

Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade but your soul is endless

• Turkeyspit.3965Turkeyspit.3965 Member ✭✭✭✭

I craft them as it is something to do.

For the longest time I swore I would never craft one, as I never really liked ANY of them.

First legendary I crafted I sold, as the pre-cursor was a lucky drop, and I had most of the materials in my storage.
    I then moved onto crafting back pieces. I started with the WvW one as I was spending a lot of time there, and it was pretty simple. Once that was done, I moved onto the Fractal one, for pretty much the same reasons.

I finally decided to craft a weapon, and chose Sunrise because Greatsword is one of my favorite weapons, is what I use on my 'main', and it was the Gen 1 I liked the most (given I didn't really like any of them). I opted to craft the pre-cursor to get the whole experience (waste of time tbh), and there was a brief time when I put it on hold waiting to see what Exordium would look like, but then went back to finish it.

Currently I'm working on Binding of Ipos, and should have it finished by the time I get my next monthly loyalty chest (and the last clovers I need), so figure 2 weeks.

After that, I'll be done with legendaries for the foreseeable future. The only other legendaries I like are Pharus and Hope, and I don't ever play my Ranger, and Engineer is the only match for Hope, but they use kits rather than weapons most of the time, so it doesn't seem worth the effort.

From there I figure I'll shift focus to generating gold instead, maybe buy some skins off the TP or Gem store - don't know.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.