Game crashes at the end of Descent

Judging by the pattern, it seems the game is trying to access something at the end of the chapter, my suspicion is the FMV which plays at the end. I have uploaded some new packages with a potential fix for this issue. I can't replicate the crash on my end, so please test it and let know.

Intel/AMD package: https://drive.google.com/file/d/15VEX9ayC6S9-6LF09dxy8mpI84eXZS8UNvidia package: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LjkJy6Gp-XsU2Be92eQiz7B7XbjjP2JX

EDIT: These packages didn't seem to solve the issue and I've taken them down.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@"ArmoredVehicle.2849" said:Judging by the pattern, it seems the game is trying to access something at the end of the chapter, my suspicion is the FMV which plays at the end. I have uploaded some new packages with a potential fix for this issue. I can't replicate the crash on my end, so please test it and let know.

Intel/AMD package: https://drive.google.com/file/d/15VEX9ayC6S9-6LF09dxy8mpI84eXZS8UNvidia package: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LjkJy6Gp-XsU2Be92eQiz7B7XbjjP2JX

I installed your hotfix package but sadly it did not work with it either. Same crash.

@Scande.5908 said:

@"ArmoredVehicle.2849" said:Judging by the pattern, it seems the game is trying to access something at the end of the chapter, my suspicion is the FMV which plays at the end. I have uploaded some new packages with a potential fix for this issue. I can't replicate the crash on my end, so please test it and let know.

Intel/AMD package:
Nvidia package:

I installed your hotfix package but sadly it did not work with it either. Same crash.

Intel/AMD package:
Nvidia package:

I replayed through the chapter again and this time I monitored the temporary folder, after you destroy the heart the game extracts the file named 'bink2w64.dll' in order to get ready to play the movie. The hotfix package tried to address that by making the file available before the game extracts it, but it seems the game extracts regardlessly even if the file is already present on the system.

BIG update. I was able to finish "Descent" and the whole chapter. No crash and no major weirdness besides a couple missing sound clips at the "epilogue".

2 Things could be attributed to it. First of all, I played "Descent" in windowed for the first time; not "windowd fullscreen" or fullscreen. The bigger change was switching my gw2.dat with a one year old backup I remembered about today. My assumption is, that "our" gw2.dat files had a major bug in them, that couldn't or wouldn't be repaired by the client self repair function. Uploading the 50GB file is out of question for me though, it would take days with my internet upload rate.As for the wine setup, I used the non hotfix version.

This all was a bit anti climatic now for those that tried to help, but I really appreciated the engagement especially by @"ArmoredVehicle.2849" . I won't retest the mission again with "windowed fullscreen" for now, as I am honestly a bit sick of the mission (especially the second boss that is invulnerable to conditions). That said, I probably will do it within the next few days again and if it crashes again I will post an update about it, otherwise just assume that it didn't matter if the game was windowed or "windowed fullscreen". Thanks again to everyone who followed the bug reports and tried to help.

I have tried with the new dependence and it still freezes on my at the end, second i went in to the /etc/security/limits and added those to numbers in your guide but that did not solve the problem either it still freezes on my at the end my number no say both in ulimit -hn and sh 1048576, could it be a bug from anet side here or does anyone have anymore ide's how we with problem can pressed?

@"Scande.5908" said:BIG update. I was able to finish "Descent" and the whole chapter. No crash and no major weirdness besides a couple missing sound clips at the "epilogue".

2 Things could be attributed to it. First of all, I played "Descent" in windowed for the first time; not "windowd fullscreen" or fullscreen. The bigger change was switching my gw2.dat with a one year old backup I remembered about today. My assumption is, that "our" gw2.dat files had a major bug in them, that couldn't or wouldn't be repaired by the client self repair function. Uploading the 50GB file is out of question for me though, it would take days with my internet upload rate.As for the wine setup, I used the non hotfix version.

This all was a bit anti climatic now for those that tried to help, but I really appreciated the engagement especially by @"ArmoredVehicle.2849" . I won't retest the mission again with "windowed fullscreen" for now, as I am honestly a bit sick of the mission (especially the second boss that is invulnerable to conditions). That said, I probably will do it within the next few days again and if it crashes again I will post an update about it, otherwise just assume that it didn't matter if the game was windowed or "windowed fullscreen". Thanks again to everyone who followed the bug reports and tried to help.

I managed to "play" it in windowed mode. But it gets sooo trippy. No sound, invisible enemies with no nametag (just their red circle), no dialog boxes, no text in menus, no aoe fields on the ground, missing abilities from the skillbar. I gave up and alt f4ed.

What a mess and what a bad joke from the finale. 1/10 worse than GOT finale.

@"Godfather.9058" said:

I managed to "play" it in windowed mode. But it gets sooo trippy. No sound, invisible enemies with no nametag (just their red circle), no dialog boxes, no text in menus, no aoe fields on the ground, missing abilities from the skillbar. I gave up and alt f4ed.

Your comment made me curios so I replayed Descent now with a second chararacter in "windowed fullscreen". No glitches except for Kralkatorrik's heart always being rendered on the platform, where it would later be destroyed.

! h13Bhfx.jpgI also hadn't had any of the issues @"Godfather.9058" mentioned while playing in windowed mode. It really was only 3 short audio snippets missing from the dialog at the "epilogue" instance. My recommendation therefor; change the name of your "GW2.dat" to something different like "GW2.dat.old" and redownload it (around 48GB depending on the amount of different languages you select). You could also simply delete your GW2.dat file.

@Scande.5908 said:

@"Godfather.9058" said:

Your comment made me curios so I replayed Descent now with a second chararacter in "windowed fullscreen". No glitches except for Kralkatorrik's heart always being rendered on the platform, where it would later be destroyed.

!
h13Bhfx.jpg
I also hadn't had any of the issues @"Godfather.9058" mentioned while playing in windowed mode. It really was only 3 short audio snippets missing from the dialog at the "epilogue" instance. My recommendation therefor; change the name of your "GW2.dat" to something different like "GW2.dat.old" and redownload it (around 48GB depending on the amount of different languages you select). You could also simply delete your GW2.dat file.

I repaired the game once. Didn't work. I performed a full uninstall and clean install. Didn't work either. I think renaming the GW2.dat file forces the game to re download it. Might try that as well. Not sure if it will work.

And I played the game in regular windowed mode. With the desktop taskbar fully visible. Not windowed fullscreen, borderless window, fullscreen etc because they cause the game to freeze and crash.

update i have complete the descent living story someone in this thread suggested to delete i gw2.dat file and let the client download it again i just did that and i was able to see the cinematic and epilogue after stabbing the heart. So for those how still have problem with freezes after stabbing the heart go into your file manager and delete the gw2.dat file let the client download it again. how give us this tips i say thank you. :smile:

I ran into the same issue except that for me nothing's solving it...

I already tried the instance 5 times, and each time I end up with a slight freeze before the cinematic, then it is a full blank screen. The music is still playing but there's nothing at the end: the screen stays white :angry:

I tried increasing the ulimit, tried the winded mode, I re-downloaded the Gw2.dat file, but no luck...

I've been playing from the start and this never happened even once before. Is it something specific to the new build?

@ragingpuma.4618 said:I had similair problems too with a different part of the story which would always disconnect. Was told to limit the framerate to 30fps which worked. Try that? or is it a different problem altogether?

I think it is different. I just tried the instance a 7th time with the framerate limited to 30 fps.I'm getting tired of all this... It's so frustrating!

1. Repair your game (add "-repair" to the command when running it).
  2. Lower your settings all the way down.
  3. Try a different computer (works around driver bugs, unstable hardware, etc.)
  4. Reinstall the game entirely.
  5. If none of this helps report it as a bug to the devs.

Almost always trying a different computer and/or different internet connection will help, as the problem is caused by something local. Rarely is it a bug in the game or people will be reporting it in thread after thread on the forums.

One last note: Sometimes story instances bug (or unbug) when another player is with you.

Please see the link for a more detailed response but I found this to work for me with story instances in general. Basically it could potentially be due to multi-threading so:

1. Go to Task Manager and find GW2 in processes, right click and "Go to details"
  2. On the new list, find GW2, right click and "Set affinity"
  3. Untick everything except CPU 0

• 2 weeks later...

@"smilango.5960" said:Please see the link for a more detailed response but I found this to work for me with story instances in general. Basically it could potentially be due to multi-threading so:

1. Go to Task Manager and find GW2 in processes, right click and "Go to details"

This worked, thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

@"smilango.5960" said:Please see the link for a more detailed response but I found this to work for me with story instances in general. Basically it could potentially be due to multi-threading so:

in my case, that possible solution still doesn't work. Now remove, install, format windows 10 and nothing. I don't know what else to do.

capture: https://imgur.com/a/Obr1G0u