Troublesome Skyscales Minigames

This is Not a Thread about the Badness/Goodness of the Acquisition or the Mount Itself - As such, I'm not going to give my opinions on that here, and I'd appreciate it if you want to state those opinions, please direct them to the following threads:

So with that out of the way! I looked up the requirements for the new collection. I haven't personally done them yet, but I saw the bit about the minigames with the Skyscale, and I immediately thought, "...wouldn't it be cool if we get to interact with our Skyscale/mounts this way even after achieving the mount itself?"

So, this is a suggestion thread/idea thread. It would be awesome if you could interact with your mounts, or even just your Skyscale (but all of them would be nifty) in minigames where you keep your mounts "stabled" (in this case, Sun's Refuge). When mounts were first introduced, the devs stated a strong desire to make them feel like interacting with actual creatures rather than just lifeless vehicles. In that spirit, it'd be awesome if you had activities you could do with your mount, with them being separately animated, much like the skyscale in the minigames.

I love the idea of being able to interact with our mounts outside of just riding them, and doing so in open world is difficult to include, but if they are in a preset area like Sun's Refuge with specific activities, it'd be easier to implement. Even if it's just the skyscale, I'd love to be able to play with him or her (yes I know Gorrik says 'she'), perhaps as an occasional daily achievement.

@"Blocki.4931" said:In an ideal world we would get a stable kind of area in our home instance (which will also be made more interesting in an update) or Sun's Refuge. I'd love that.

That would be fantastic! Of course, I've wanted new "home instances" for ages now. I'm surprised they haven't done that as gemstore items, kind of like the 'convenience areas.' But a stable addition to the home instance would be perfect!

@"Toolbox.9375" said:I like it! I played with Aurene once in a while in the beginning. It's a little inconvenient to have to go to the egg chamber for her, though. Open world stuff would be more fun.

Open world might be more fun, but it'd also take a whole lot more to implement, and it raises questions like "I can play with my mount in open world, but it can't fight beside me?" kinda things. Keeping it confined to a stables area gives you a predefined "playground" which is worlds easier to implement, requires far less QA resources, and reduces chances for exploits etc. If you want to do it for all the mounts and not just one, that becomes an even more important variable.

I definitely agree open world would be lots of fun to play with our skyscales/mounts, but I think home instance interactions would be more realistic and achievable when allotting development resources.

@"Eloc Freidon.5692" said:We do have that gem dog that we can play with. Perhaps its the devs testing out what can be done in open world.

Possibly, yeah! I just really liked the implementation they have where it's an actual "Event". It'd be awesome if you could do this on a regular basis with your mounts, and to add more game types you could play with them. Now that I've actually played that part of the skyscale achievement, I'd want this even more! I just don't know how to get dev attention, heh.

A great implementation for this would be to integrate it into the daily achievements possibilities, so you could get achievement points for doing it occasionally.

I just got around to actually doing the minigames myself, lastnight. It was so adorable. :D I'm doubly in favor of this, now. Daily achievement integration sounds like a good way to incorporate it. Perhaps some sort of minor boost to the mount after playing, as well? Increased endurance regeneration or higher damage on their dismount skill, perhaps. Hardly a necessity, but might be a draw.

@"KazukoHimura.2314" said:I'm seconding this idea, I had fun playing catch with the baby skyscale, and when I found out you can do that again for the next step (still unlocking it) I squealed.

I had fun playing catch with my skyscale too! :smile:In the last stage, she rifled one at me so HARD and so FAST that I had to dive with arm fully extended to get it! And even though I had on my Catcher's Mitt, it stung my hand good!! :sweat_smile:

I said to myself afterwards... "Skritt, my baby is STRONG!!!" HAHA! :lol:

@anninke.7469 said:A very nice idea.I'm just worried that my ranger pets could get a bit jealous. I'd like to at least pet them from time to time.

Might not be in the CGI budget to pet something that's not a dragon ... >.>

I had fun with the minigames too. I don't know that I'd play them for their own sake, based on my not ever using my dog whistle any more, but adding it into the daily rotation could be nice. Depends on the reward, of course. Which leads to some design questions: What stage of the collection should a player be on before they can play the game? Once the skyscale is fully grown, will it be able to plausibly play catch, and if so, how much room will it need? Given that many players will not have a skyscale, how do you tune the rewards to feel worth doing but not incite ire in the non-skyscalers? Do you make it part of the full daily rotation, or its own activity?

@Donari.5237 said:

@"anninke.7469" said:A very nice idea.I'm just worried that my ranger pets could get a bit jealous. I'd like to at least pet them from time to time.

Might not be in the CGI budget to pet something that's not a dragon ... >.>

I had fun with the minigames too. I don't know that I'd play them for their own sake, based on my not ever using my dog whistle any more, but adding it into the daily rotation could be nice. Depends on the reward, of course. Which leads to some design questions: What stage of the collection should a player be on before they can play the game? Once the skyscale is fully grown, will it be able to plausibly play catch, and if so, how much room will it need? Given that many players will not have a skyscale, how do you tune the rewards to feel worth doing but not incite ire in the non-skyscalers? Do you make it part of the full daily rotation, or its own activity?

All good points - I forgot about the daily "universality." In considering that, the only thing I can think of is to have it listed as events that count toward a Jahai Bluffs event daily, so it'd be "included by technicality." Toolbox's suggestion of giving it a buff to dismount skill damage, or maybe a mount health boost, could also work. That way there is a reason to do it but it isn't game-breaking if you do/don't have it. The buff could be like a guild buff that lasts 24 hours, or it could be shorter, like 10 hours.

For the minigames themselves, I think the skyscale could probably still use Sun's Refuge, but could possibly include the larger rotunda where the sacred fire is kept. My original idea staged all of this there, since we raised the Skyscale there. Home instances may or may not have enough space really. If this is limited to the Skyscale because of resources, I'd say they'd have it available once they unlock the mount. Other mounts, if they decide to go that route, could be included as they're unlocked as well.

@Krypto.2069 said:

@"KazukoHimura.2314" said:I'm seconding this idea, I had fun playing catch with the baby skyscale, and when I found out you can do that again for the next step (still unlocking it) I squealed.

I had fun playing catch with my skyscale too! :smile:In the last stage, she rifled one at me so HARD and so FAST that I had to dive with arm fully extended to get it! And even though I had on my Catcher's Mitt, it stung my hand good!! :sweat_smile:

I said to myself afterwards... "Skritt, my baby is
STRONG!!!
" HAHA! :lol:

Payback for those ball-to-the-faces in the nest!

Can we not make it mandatory though? I had a great time playing hide and seek. Catch? Not so much since I had to beg someone to do it for me since my disabled tail lacks the reflexes to move fast.

But I'd love to play hide and seek or games that required my brain. Just.. not mandatory.

@Starfall Leyline.2481 said:

I said to myself afterwards... "Skritt, my baby is
STRONG!!!
" HAHA! :lol:

Payback for those ball-to-the-faces in the nest!

HAHAHA! IKR! :lol:

@"Aerlen.5326" said:Can we not make it mandatory though? I had a great time playing hide and seek. Catch? Not so much since I had to beg someone to do it for me since my disabled tail lacks the reflexes to move fast.

But I'd love to play hide and seek or games that required my brain. Just.. not mandatory.

Yeah, this would all be about fun, so I wouldn't want it to be "mandatory." Our idea is just that if you play with your skyscale in some manner you get a buff for X hours that has (insert mount effect here). Minigames I'd love to see implemented:

• Catch - Play ball with your Skyscale
  • Hide and Seek - As it sounds
  • Flute - You play a little game of "simon says" to play the flute for your Skyscale just like you did when it was a baby.
  • Tag - either you chase your mount OR your mount chases you (or both!)

These could possibly be done at easy/medium/hard levels just like the other minigames.

I'd like to be able to play catch anywhere. It would be a fun little thing to do while waiting for a boss or event to spawn. Of course in the open world I suppose mobs would be an issue. "Here catch!" You throw the ball near a Hydra. Skyscale, "Seriously? That's how we are going to play this game? "

@"JustTrogdor.7892" said:I'd like to be able to play catch anywhere. It would be a fun little thing to do while waiting for a boss or event to spawn. Of course in the open world I suppose mobs would be an issue. "Here catch!" You throw the ball near a Hydra. Skyscale, "Seriously? That's how we are going to play this game? "

The one thing though is that I'd like it to be really interactive. Like someone else mentioned, you don't really pull out your Basenji pup all that often (or at least I don't). I like the 'event' style where it's a back and forth. You don't just throw the ball, you have to catch it, too. Having "two sided" games where you aren't always the initiator would be ideal for me.