Skyscale Guild Chat this Friday–leave your questions for the devs here!

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As an early acquirer of the mount, I trust we will get a Unicorn skin which I will adopt on day one should it happen. It goes well with the hovering and you already have rainbow animations from the Legendary short bow, The Dreamer. Now I do know sticking onto walls may not be an actual unicorn's forte (they don't really exist anyway) but I trust the team can make it happen even if it may be a comical, yet delightful sight to see a unicorn sticking to a wall on all fours.

@Kidel.2057 said:Hi. Thank you for your hard work and thanks for Dragonfall, it's a very cool map. And congratulations for ending season 4.

My question is:

Why does the skyscale start with negative (red) flight meter when using Air Rescue from an upward Ley Line or a Branded Tornado?An empty flight meter would be ok, I don't understand why it can go full red and go down faster than gliding and Griffon.

And, if I may, I bring this from another thread:

Is it me or fire attack is very hard to target if you're not on the ground? Is this mount supposed to be used from the ground? Or land before attacking? A target indicator while pressing 1 would be great.

I had the same questions, thanks

@"VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig.3618" said:who thought that turning ascquisition into pure hell was a good idea?

I mean 500 contracts? 250 of all map currencies? Timegating? JUMPING PUZZLES?

WHO did it? Really? Who things that this kind of content is 'fun' or 'rewarding', instead of 'boring grind nobody wants to do'?

Unlocked the skyscale lost, and I feel REALLY demotivated right now. Why continue with something I CAN NOT DO?

I don't really turn this into a debate. A moderator can delete this if it's out of place.

To me the collection is kind of fine. They already addressed the timegating problem, so the rest is just a very long collection, almost on par with Aurora.And it would be also very unfair to change the requirements at this point that so many players have finished it.

The problem is that Aurora is a legendary item. The Skyscale doesn't feel like a Legendary mount at the moment. It has some serious limitations (such as full red gauge after Air Rescue, very slow speed, very short travel distance, engage skill very difficult to aim properly from air) that make it basically a show off mount (3-5 skyscales always hovering next to bank in LA) until they release skins (that will basically be required to show off). Very unusual to put skins on legendary weapons.

I'd be happy if they make the Skyscale proportional to its collection. In comparison the Griffon is awesome and requires far less. It has been almost hidden in its initial release, but it's a joy to use and is probably the most useful mount even now.

To add a question and avoid making this (only) a reply: is it so bad that the Skyscale replaces the Springer?

The Springer is mandatory to complete the Skyscale, so it's just progression, such as an exotic weapon replaced by an ascended one. After all I already don't use the Raptor since the Jackal is way faster on most terrains (and with Bonds can also jump greater distances). And if I need speed on flat terrains the RB is already the best option. So, again, why is it fine to relegate the Raptor to a somewhat useful engage skill mount and it's not right to replace the Springer (that has probably one of the best engage skills in the game already)?

Good luck with the Guild Chat!

Are there going to be new mounts after PoF or is the skyscale going to be the last mount?

@"Kidel.2057" said:To add a question and avoid making this (only) a reply: is it so bad that the Skyscale replaces the Springer?

The Springer is mandatory to complete the Skyscale, so it's just progression, such as an exotic weapon replaced by an ascended one. After all I already don't use the Raptor since the Jackal is way faster on most terrains (and with Bonds can also jump greater distances). And if I need speed on flat terrains the RB is already the best option. So, again, why is it fine to relegate the Raptor to a somewhat useful engage skill mount and it's not right to replace the Springer (that has probably one of the best engage skills in the game already)?

While I agree with the core sentiment I wouldn't say that the skyscale is "replacing" the springer, maybe for certain tasks but not in general. There are places like Tangled Descent in TD where you definitely want to use the springer over the skyscale thanks to its superior maneuverability in tight spaces.

@BadHealer.3608 said:

@Blocki.4931 said:That's one of the masteries and you'll unlock it soon enough.Cool. A hidden forth mastery? That sounds interesting. So far I got only the one where all your regeneration is stopped if you are on the cliff.

I wonder how this other mastery can be unlocked.

That is exactly what the last mastery does though. Exchanges 50% of your endurance for flight juice.

Some mentioned this in a way too but...

In the skyscale collection there are some minigames (catch, hide and seek) which are lovely. Is it possible to have (after finishing collection), 1 baby hatchling skyscale (so you can play with it (the lute and ball and give it cuddles) and also 1 adolescent skyscale so we can keep do the forementioned minigames? The tech of these is there as we did it with the collection.

Liked the collections (I only found the 1st daily timegate feel unnatural, but the others were fine with me incl the other requirements incl the have all map currencies in that amount). And it was rather long... Less repeatal and grind, more variety within collections is better.

This is the first time I have posted something and I hope it is received proper. I love the Skyscale it is a lot of fun and I have worked my but off every day to get it. But now I see that you in all your wisdom are reducing some of the time gated items and to make it easier and that's all fine and good for those that cant get on as much as the rest of us. But it is a insult to all of us that busted our ass to get it so far. I have spent a lot of money in and on this game as well as GW1 and fell like I just got passed over for a promotion after all my hard work to get the job done and I AM PISSED. ANET needs to reward us that have done the work and waited our time to get the Skyscale other than just screwing us over. My Question is will they?

Sure I’ll throw my question in!

I just got my sky scale today and fully mastered it.The grind was a pain and I wasn’t happy to see the time gates. That being said, I still did it as did a bunch of other players. Now I hear you’re going to change the time gates and to be honest I don’t understand why. Sure time gates suck (at least I think they do) but you know what? You put it in there and we still did them regardless. This isn’t even the first thing you’ve time gated in the game. People are complaining about the grind and time gating and you’ve decided to turn around and change it despite the fact that other players have already gone and done it before hand. I want to understand why you think this is a good idea. People complain about grinding for rewards all the time. Kitten, people still complain about the cost of the Griffon! Yet you stuck to your guns and haven’t changed it. So why now? Why are you caving? Now I’m half expecting to hear (if you even bother answering this) “we want to make it more accessible/ easier for others.” Which then Makes me wonder, when you’re going to remove all time gates, lower the cost of the griffin, and just make legendary armor purchasable then that way everything is truely “more accessible/easier for others./s”

Also, as asked in another question, since you plan on doing this, what is the compensation for those that went through with getting their mount before this “fix”?

Let me start by thanking you for a wonderful Living World episode - love the story and the new map; especially the inclusion of older mastery systems and the throwbacks for GW1 players. :)That being said, I feel like a lot of your hard and great work is tarnished by the Skyscale fiasco.

My question: How do you justify the excessive amount of materials required for the saddle collection compared to the requirements for the roller beetle acquisition?

@Xykris.6758 said:Also, as asked in another question, since you plan on doing this, what is the compensation for those that went through with getting their mount before this “fix”?

You got it first.

Did you ever consider creating an idle animation for the skyscale while it is hovering? If so was there a reason you decided not to? I love seeing the idles on the ground and it's something I do miss when I'm hovering safely in the air sorting out my inventory/talking to people etc.

With all of this backlash for the required 250 currencies (including myself) will you be nerfing this amount say around 50-150 or will you guys stick with the 250? There are other ways to satisfy people not liking the 250 req by making it easier other ways like rewarding more currencies etc.

As a little side note: I installed TACO yesterday because I now felt a sense of being left behind by this farmgate and wanted to find the most efficient way to meet this requirement as soon as possible. Please nerf the amount we need or increase the gains from doing stuff on the maps.

As it is now, I see the skyscale a cosmetic mount, because its overwhelmingly specialized mechanics and slow and very limited movement. Springer+Griffon is way faster and more flexible to reach any spot, except for the ones floating in the air, which are precisely the extra-narrow niche for this new mount. But other than that, Skyscale is like the Warclaw in PVE: a beautiful mount with no practical use.

Could you consider improving at least part of the mechanics, so Skyscale could somehow be a real alternative for other mounts, with more uses than the 2nd tier mastery?

I also noticed that if you combine Griffon->Gliding->Skyscale, you begin more than often with a full reg gauge.

At this point going from gliding to skyscale is most of the time a downgrade.

Can we know the reason for this choice? It has been asked already probably.