New PC underperforming

Hello bois,

Finally i've bought a new PC, but performance on GW2 is making cry, lol.

CPU Type - AMD Ryzen 7 2700 Eight-Core ProcessorGraphics Chipset - Radeon RX 580 SeriesCore Clock - 1366 MHzSystem Memory - 16 GBStorage - 246GB SSD

But i'm barely getting 30FPS on really low settings. Only app i'm running simultaneously is Discord.What can i do to improve this?

@Loosmaster.8263 said:Are you having issues with 30 fps or just saying?

I have an i5 47*k but I built specifically with Intel architecture. I have no issues until I hit about 6fps. I'm normally running around 70fps solo and drop to 12 fps in Meta events with no problems.

30 FPS would be pretty ok for me.Problem is, when i run into zerg fights on wvw it drops to 15 ~ 20 FPS :(That's pretty much the same performance i was getting on my 8 year old PC, with almost the same settings (only difference was lowest on character model/ display).

@Malafaia.8903 said:

@Ragnarox.9601 said:Amd is your problem, its cheap more cores but not so strong per core, so you are getting garbage fps. This game is dx9 which favores Intel and strong cores.

Funny thing is my last PC was an AMD 6-core from 8 years ago. And i'm getting basically the same performance.This is really it?

I doubt it, Ryzen 2700 is not really that far behind a I7 7700k (Base). I owned a FX processor before and I upgraded to a Ryzen 2600x some months after they released them and the difference in performance was night and day. there's a few variables that should be clarified. Judging by the screenshot, were you near a zerg in WvW? Your FPS will dip even with low settings when there are big battles going on. Second is I have to point out only a 256 GB SSD? Is that all the storage you have? If so how much of that SSD do you have filled up? If it's more than 90% you might have to clear out a bit more space. There's also the question if you're running any graphic enhancing programs like SweetFX/GW2Hook?

@Malafaia.8903 said:

@Ragnarox.9601 said:Amd is your problem, its cheap more cores but not so strong per core, so you are getting garbage fps. This game is dx9 which favores Intel and strong cores.

Funny thing is my last PC was an AMD 6-core from 8 years ago. And i'm getting basically the same performance.This is really it?

Amd is amd, not good in mmorpgs, I had amd too and i bought i5 7500 and gtx 1060, I have 40ish fps on ultra in lions arch, 80ish in world, 40ish in wvw. (very high character limit and quality)

I had similar frames when I was running AMD a few years ago. I maintained almost the same FPS regardless of graphical settings (outside of changing the character model limit).

If you have Windows 10, then you might see an increase in FPS if you use this experimental tool.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/bkk2lf/d912pxy_dx12_for_gw2_new_beta_v099/

Just a heads up... I haven’t used this personally. I also haven’t seen any GW2 developer responses regarding this, so it really is “use at your own risk”.

This game, and most other MMO's, are dependent on single-core performance, not multi-core. Sadly, Intel does have stronger single-core performance, but AMD is just as good, if not better, in non-MMO titles. You also have to remember that the engine is old, so regardless, even on an Intel CPU, you're gonna have low FPS no matter what when the action ramps up. Until that changes, expect to see dips.

(try to turn on turbo speed in bios..put full power usage in windows...)

I think this is the thing. coz like AMD was like a new company (meaning they tried to break into the mainstream Processor business, at least that what appeared to me coz Duron, Sempron, etc was basically inexistent (and even my premade HP laptop preinstalled with Windows ME was Pentium)) around when DX9 was hot and probably they (M$) benchmarked its performance on the latest Pentium processor back then..

@luzonophir.7134 said:I think this is the thing. coz like AMD was like a new company (meaning they tried to break into the mainstream Processor business, at least that what appeared to me coz Duron, Sempron, etc was basically inexistent (and even my premade HP laptop preinstalled with Windows ME was Pentium)) around when DX9 was hot and probably they (M$) benchmarked its performance on the latest Pentium processor back then..

Actually, AMD has been around for as long as Intel has been. They've been making processors for almost as long as well. They are, by no means, new.

@Kanok.3027 said:

@luzonophir.7134 said:I think this is the thing. coz like AMD was like a new company (meaning they tried to break into the mainstream Processor business, at least that what appeared to me coz Duron, Sempron, etc was basically inexistent (and even my premade HP laptop preinstalled with Windows ME was Pentium)) around when DX9 was hot and probably they (M$) benchmarked its performance on the latest Pentium processor back then..

Actually, AMD has been around for as long as Intel has been. They've been making processors for almost as long as well. They are, by no means, new.

yea but I meant all of the Computer Stores back then, at least when I first came to the USA, sold Premade Computers with Pentiums. so it appeared to me that they (AMD) are LIKE some newish competitor in the Processor business vs Intel.

@Kanok.3027 said:Nah, there were plenty of premades with AMD. Same with Cytrix and a few other types here and there. Only ones that survived the CPU wars was Intel and AMD.

computer shops back in our homeland only used pentium based computers. amd was never heard (and i don't even know the company profile of AMD since there were no wiki back then). and when i went to the USA, mostly are pentiums but what i bought as my pc gaming tower in compusa was the early incarnation (or if not the first gen) of AMD-64 processor (Athlon) under Windows XP 32-bit and played GW1 there hardcorely. and i got to try the free OS's (Linux distros) which were almost~newly ported in 64-bit just to know what is this 64 bit all about. and my internet speed on Verizon DSL was 1.5 megs/s download.

Yeah, I can see that. AMD was actually the first to come out with 64-bit processing power, at least to the mainstream, so that's why to this day things are still referred to as x86 for 32-bit applications and AMD64 for 64-bit (or the oddly placed x86-64). Still, AMD CPU's aren't bad for MMO's, not by a long shot, but their single-core performance is technically not as good as Intel's, which is what most MMO's rely on. Newer MMO's that are starting to utilize multi-core, multi-threaded CPU's are starting to appear and that's where AMD will really shine.

Assuming your monitor's refresh rate is not maxed out at 24 or 30 fps, you should be seeing better performance. GW2 is poorly optimized for today's PC hardware and the game is CPU bound (too much running on its main thread). You have more than enough resources to drive this game at 1920 x 1080. Make sure your power profile in windows is set to "High Performance" and not "Balanced". You might also want to tweak your cores' power/parked settings with programs like "Quick CPU". Windows might be trying to reduce your power consumption by throttling your CPU (i experienced this issue as well). I noticed a substantial fps boost when i unparked my CPU cores and changed the power profile, but I game at 4K res. Also be aware that the more populated an map is the more it will effect your fps.

I'm running a i7-7820hk with a 1070 vid card on my Alienware 17" laptop, and it regularly gets 70-90 fps in low populated areas. FPS drops down to 30-50 in LA, and when getting into big zerg fights in WvW, it'll stick around 40 or so fps. Have had 1 or 2 times in really gigantic zerg fights when it has become almost unplayable....but that is very, very seldom. In almost all areas, besides the huge zergs in wvw, it won't drop below 50fps.

Am running on high graphics settings in game.

The GM of our guild just got himself a new Alienware laptop with an i9 top end cpu and 1070 vid card, and he regularly gets over 100fps in low populated areas, around 70 in LA, and normally between 60-80fps in wvw.

It's because of the very old graphics engine that GW2 runs. It is extremely cpu dependent. If they were running DX11, and upgraded their servers, there would be no issues at all, as the load would get transferred/shared more to the gpu....heck, even low end rigs would do well. But upgrading GW2's graphics engine and servers doesn't seem to be a huge priority with Anet.

You might try checking the Redditt forums for suggestions on getting more speed out of your cpu. You also might try lowering your character settings in the graphics, as that seems to give a big improvement to fps.

I also agree with the other posters. AMD has been around almost as long as Intel. This is my first Intel based rig, as I have been running AMD for decades. Heck, I still have an old desktop running an old quad core AMD 940 with a Nvidia 970 card, but have to run the game on middle graphics settings, and overclock the cpu to get decent playability in the game. Your cpu should do fine in the game....you probably just need to tweak with the graphics settings in game, and figure out how to get some more speed out of the cpu.

Edit: Just looked at your settings image, and something is not right. I run much better settings on my old AMD 940 desktop and get better fps than you're getting. After looking at the specs on your Ryzen cpu, you should be getting close to the fps I get on my i7 Alienware.

@"Tenken.7342" said:Assuming your monitor's refresh rate is not maxed out at 24 or 30 fps, you should be seeing better performance. GW2 is poorly optimized for today's PC hardware and the game is CPU bound (too much running on its main thread). You have more than enough resources to drive this game at 1920 x 1080. Make sure your power profile in windows is set to "High Performance" and not "Balanced". You might also want to tweak your cores' power/parked settings with programs like "Quick CPU". Windows might be trying to reduce your power consumption by throttling your CPU (i experienced this issue as well). I noticed a substantial fps boost when i unparked my CPU cores and changed the power profile, but I game at 4K res. Also be aware that the more populated an map is the more it will effect your fps.

Some more really good suggestions.

Another interesting link.....this is how good your cpu should be doing.....(not necessarily in GW2, due to the older graphics engine)…..anyways, you should be getting a lot better performance with that cpu.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=AMD+Ryzen+7+2700+Eight-Core+Processor+gaming+reviews&view=detail&mid=07EE91AACF12C87891D907EE91AACF12C87891D9&FORM=VIRE

If you're interested, this is my set up. I built this to specifically run GW2 going by what the game is designed around. GW2 is the only thing on the SSD.

Memory- Kingston HyperX Beast 16 GB Kit (2x8 GB) 2400MHz DDR3 PC3-19200 Non-ECC CL11 DIMM XMP Desktop Memory KHX24C11T3K2/16X

Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-Z87X-OC Desktop Motherboard

CPU- Intel Core i5-4670K Quad-Core Desktop Processor 3.4 GHZ 6 MB Cache - BX80646I54670K

PSU- Corsair RM1000x, 1000W, Fully Modular 80+ Gold Certified

SSD- Kingston HyperX 3K 120 GB SATA III 2.5-Inch 6.0 Gb/s Solid State Drive SH103S3/120G

Video- XFX R7 260X

Main HD- 2 Terabyte

OS- Windows 7

BIOS- F9c

Case- Cool Master HAF 912 case with 6 fans.

CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D15 6 heatpipe with Dual NF-A15 140mm fans

AMD, right? mmm, This is just a suggestion and could end up ending with nothing. Check, if the motherboard you are using has had issues in the past with AMD cpus and cards that result in questionable frame rates on some games. We have had a couple of AMD fps issues in these forums in the past that were resolved sooner or later after a bios upgrade. Of course, in the end determine if you need a bios upgrade or not. Remember, stores usually do not update these.