What single major change would you like to see for Necro?

Akrasia.5469

From a support in WvW perspective...

I would love to see the 'pulling to you' aspect of Transfusion moved to something else, like Signet of Undeath, at least in WvW. The support of Scourge can be powerful, but the pulling aspect in WvW, especially in a zerg environment, is despised for good reason. Just being able to heal regularly without the worry of pulling your friends into AoE bombs unintentionally would be a very welcome change. If you want the pull, pop the signet and it works just like it does now, but you have better control over the when and how it is used.

And/Or...

As Siphon Life is a widely represented, but rarely specced for ability of Necro's in general, lets increase it some to make it a viable, tanky, playstyle.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@"Kuulpb.5412" said:Single major change: Complete Rework to focus more on necromantic things like Lifesteal and death and not "Oh, those boons you had, I could have stripped them really quickly but i'll slowly turn them into conditions so you can cleanse them one at a time"

I think I've had enough of the lifesteal aspect with the recent change to focus and warhorn. The specific "lifesteal" that they force onto the necromancer is just bad in both damage and sustain even if from a metric point of view, if you add all the lifesteal sources, the sustain is awesome and the DPS good for a 0 crit build.

No more lifesteal please, it honestly suck.

@"Drakh.2941" said:From a support in WvW perspective...

I would love to see the 'pulling to you' aspect of Transfusion moved to something else, like Signet of Undeath, at least in WvW. The support of Scourge can be powerful, but the pulling aspect in WvW, especially in a zerg environment, is despised for good reason. Just being able to heal regularly without the worry of pulling your friends into AoE bombs unintentionally would be a very welcome change. If you want the pull, pop the signet and it works just like it does now, but you have better control over the when and how it is used.

And/Or...

As Siphon Life is a widely represented, but rarely specced for ability of Necro's in general, lets increase it some to make it a viable, tanky, playstyle.

I see what you mean here, yet a the "pull" on a 3 seconds cast time skill would be as good as removing the pull from the game. I think better support/tanking options in other traitlines than blood magic would be more effective to create a "tanky playstyle". The point is that vampiric rituals is supposed to be the selfish tanky GM trait in BM, yet from a scourge's perspective it limited greatly your quality of life compared to transfusion.

Ultimately, I think that traits that affect a specific kind of skills might either disappear for more "generic" forms like what we got with our "minion skills" or what they do with weapon traits. For example, I'd imagine vampiric ritual to drain life around you whenever you lose life force with a 1 or 1/2 second ICD and keep the CD reduction and prot on wells. This wouldn't benefit scourge a lot, obviously, but this would make core necromancer and reaper tankier, allowing the "tanky" playstyle with greater QoL. To make it benefit the scourge as well we could imagine a change on sadistic searing so that it allow punishments to sacrifice a low amount of life force (1% to 3%) on use for an initial extra effect (for example, it could give scourges this new dark aura whose effects fit the scourge's own effects).

@Dadnir.5038 said:

@"Kuulpb.5412" said:Single major change: Complete Rework to focus more on necromantic things like Lifesteal and death and not "Oh, those boons you had, I could have stripped them really quickly but i'll slowly turn them into conditions so you can cleanse them one at a time"

I think I've had enough of the lifesteal aspect with the recent change to focus and warhorn. The specific "lifesteal" that they force onto the necromancer is just bad in both damage and sustain even if from a metric point of view, if you add all the lifesteal sources, the sustain is awesome and the DPS good for a 0 crit build.

No more lifesteal please, it honestly suck.

@"Drakh.2941" said:From a support in WvW perspective...

And/Or...

I see what you mean here, yet a the "pull" on a 3 seconds cast time skill would be as good as removing the pull from the game. I think better support/tanking options in other traitlines than blood magic would be more effective to create a "tanky playstyle". The point is that
vampiric rituals
is supposed to be the selfish tanky GM trait in BM, yet from a scourge's perspective it limited greatly your quality of life compared to
transfusion

Ultimately, I think that traits that affect a specific kind of skills might either disappear for more "generic" forms like what we got with our "minion skills" or what they do with weapon traits. For example, I'd imagine
vampiric ritual
to drain life around you whenever you lose life force with a 1 or 1/2 second ICD and keep the CD reduction and prot on
wells
. This wouldn't benefit scourge a lot, obviously, but this would make core necromancer and reaper tankier, allowing the "tanky" playstyle with greater QoL. To make it benefit the scourge as well we could imagine a change on
sadistic searing
so that it allow
punishments
to sacrifice a low amount of life force (1% to 3%) on use for an initial extra effect (for example, it could give scourges this new
dark aura
whose effects fit the scourge's own effects).

You know, they could rework lifesteal, and THEN rework necro for lifesteal,

rework entire staff, new skills new unique animations

swapping minion skills while they are summoned doesnt put the skill on cooldown

finally give animation to casting wells while holding gs... 2015 was 4 years ago srsly

focus #4 i would change to some aoe dmg ticking field

well of darkness smoke field for stacking stealth (niche)

life force generation on underwater spear is crippled, add some!

give some leap/blink on necro weapons like dagger main hand

@trixantea.1230 said:Remove shroud degeneration and make shroud abilities cost life force.

That would be way too strong for Reaper though, with the quickness/ferocity buff it just got. With Spite and SR traits you can easily maintain 25 Might and 25 Vuln, which makes almost everything melt like warm butter as it is.

I'd prefer to have ways to build life force back up faster, but we won't get that due to Scourge.

As a single limited change, I would rework Dagger MH to have a at least 600 range leap on dagger 2, while moving Life Siphon to 3 and changing it to be an AoE Lifesteal that also heals allies in range, but removing the awkward bleed interactions and increasing the CD.

As a major profession rework, there is so much to look at though.My biggest gripe continues to be how much Power of Necro is relegated to Shroud/the profession mechanic, with Necro without LF being a complete dead weight. So without going into too much detail, I would tune down the power of both Reaper Shroud and Shades quite a bit, or more importantly the only active in Shroud Traits, while adding out of Shroud benefits to them, and buffing a lot of the core of Necro to compensate, be it weapons, utilities etc, to facility a bit more parity between in and out of Shroud gamelay.Shroud should still be quite the boost in power, don't get me wrong, but currently Necro just feels way too weak out of Shroud and the constant swapping between hitting like a wet noodle and a nuclear bomb isn't all that fun to me, compared to an all around solid kit that ebbs and flows somewhat instead.

Some Ideas would be things like changing Dhuumfire from 3 seconds base of burn to 2 Seconds, but adding a Virtue of Justice mechanic to it, triggering the burn every x attacks out of Shroud as well.Traits like Death Perception and Reaper's Onslaught could be tuned down slightly, while instead providing a small part of their stat gains out of Shroud as well, etc.

Additionally, a complete Minion and Death Magic rework would be very welcome.

First idea: Rework Dark Path to have it's own unique ammunition function.

I know a lot of people dislike this skill and would prefer it to be an instant and ground targeted skill, but as it currently is, I feel it allows for more skillful interaction. There are numerous ways you can employ the ability skillfully by anticipating the delay between the cast and the target. For example, it is possible to activate Spectral Walk, move towards your target, cast Dark Path, use Spectral Recall to return x distance to the starting point and rapidly teleport back again when Dark Path connects with the target. Although this is difficult to use practically, it can still be done in the right scenarios. Due to the complexity however, and many of the players in this game preferring the path of least resistance, I understand this explanation may do nothing to change the minds of people who dislike the skill.

But I digress, I would love to see Dark Path receive an ammunition of three with a few restrictions to balance it's potential strength:

1) Using Path Of Corruption would effect this skill in the following way; If a boon(s) is corrupted when Dark Path connects with it's target, it goes on full cooldown (it's current cooldown) and thus the ammunition is reduced to 0.

2) If the skill connects and does not corrupt a boon(s) regardless of whether Path Of Corruption is selected or not, this will reduce the ammunition by two and will return 10% Life Force. For further clarity: Hitting a target with Dark Path reduces the ammunition from 3 to 1 instead of 3 to 2 and returns 10% Life Force.

3) Not connecting with a target will allow for two follow up casts with a cooldown of 1 second between uses. Dark Path is already unblockable therefore connecting with a target that is blocking will effect the skill as described in point 2).

Because the skill is rather slow, I think multiple casts would be a nice way of buffing it without making it overpowered by not receiving a few limitations. Otherwise, it might be possible to Q up Dark Paths in someones face with Path Of Corruption slotted to spam corrupts. As fun as that might be, I think we can all agree it'd be a little annoying.

Second idea: Rework Dark Path to be like a lesser Epidemic.

Basically as it sounds. Remove the Bleed from the skill but allow the Chill to remain. Upon connecting with a target a followup explosion will take place with a radius of 360 that copies up to 3 conditions on to surrounding targets. With Path Of Corruption slotted, this will have two potential effects: If for example, only one condition is copied to surrounding targets, said targets will have two boons corrupted. If only two conditions are copied, surrounding targets will have one boon corrupted, etc.

@Kulvar.1239 said:The only thing I want is Signet of Undeath passive working out of combat (2% LF every 3s).So I could recover LF while traveling across maps

Honestly I feel like a slow regeneration of LF out of combat should have been baseline anyway. It's kind of silly how Necromancer is the only profession which relies so heavily on it's profession mechanic but arrives everywhere with their profession ability(s) essentially on a, depending on the build possibly quite lengthy, Cooldown.Would be nice if you didn't constantly have to seek out ambient creatures and such to kill while traveling/roaming, just for you to not be utterly useless in the next combat you come across for some time.

I get that Anet for some reason likes to keep Necro thematic over functional more than everything else, but just call it an absorption of ambient death and be done with it.

I think Necromancers should have access to a mechanic similar to Deep Wound in Gw1.

In Gw1 Deep Wound would reduce your maximum HP by 20% as well as your ability to heal by the same amount.

Granted that would be OP as hell in Gw2 if directly transfered over so instead reworked as a stacking buff.Much like Vulnerability Deep Wound would do no actual damage itself but each stack would reduce an enemies overall health and incoming healing by 1% and would cap at say 10 stacks at most.

World bosses and specific meta creatures etc should either be immune to the effects like they are with blind and certain other conditions or have the mechanic work differently for them in that only 1 stack can be applied per character requiring 10 condition Necromancers in the zerg to be able to max out the stacks.

I'd probably set it as an additional effect on Sceptors auto chain with low duration so you'd need to be regularly auto attacking to maintain the stacks or maybe instead require a Necro to trait into it specifically, maybe add it as an additional effect to Devouring Darkness but with a long duration say 30 seconds per stack so a lone Necro would only be able to stack 3 stacks tops unless you had access to alacrity.For team based content such as raids and fractals I could see something like this making it worth taking a condi Necro or two along.

Just an idea anyway.