Random player sends you an exotic weapon

"Sell or sumthin, idc"This was the message attached to the exotic weapon I got in a mail from a random player.Should I be concerned this is an attempt at phishing?I could understand If I knew the person but why is someone I don't know, sending me stuff I didn't ask for?Is there any way he attached some kind of script to an exotic weapon?I just don't jive with the I got an exotic and just wanted to give it away to some random person gig.Legit or shady?

@"Felluga.9124" said:"Sell or sumthin, idc"This was the message attached to the exotic weapon I got in a mail from a random player.Should I be concerned this is an attempt at phishing?I could understand If I knew the person but why is someone I don't know, sending me stuff I didn't ask for?Is there any way he attached some kind of script to an exotic weapon?I just don't jive with the I got an exotic and just wanted to give it away to some random person gig.Legit or shady?

What exactly did they phish for? They obviously already have your display name and know that you play the game. Unless you are in the habit of volunteering your logon credentials, it's hard to see how that could hurt you.

The phrasing of the message was disjoint from the generosity of gifting, although consistent with gaming vernacular. I don't think we can read anything into it.

Is there any way he attached some kind of script to an exotic weapon?No

I just don't jive with the I got an exotic and just wanted to give it away to some random person gig.Then don't give away your exotics.

why is someone I don't know, sending me stuff I didn't ask for?Why not?

Maybe you said something in /map that tickled the person's fancy. Maybe they liked the skin and hoped you would too. Maybe they are lonely and trying to make a new friend.

They probably already had the skin unlocked, and thought that making someone else happy was worth more than the 80 silver or whatever pathetic price they could get for it. They probably looked around for someone who looked new-ish and who would appreciate a new skin.

I used to take dyes I didn't need and randomly mail them to people on the beginner maps who looked new, but it is hard to tell the difference between a new player and someone ranking up a key farmer who could not be bothered to put a guild rep or title or outfit or something on their character.

There is no legitimate way to modify anything in the game to allow you to track items like that. Even addons are actually overlays or use information given by the API and cannot send anything back, so for this to be a phishing attempt they'd have to have hacked the game to add the script, and if they could do that I'm sure they'd have a more direct and anonymous way of stealing information or items.

As everyone else has said it's most likely to be someone who doesn't want the item themselves, didn't think it's worth selling and decided to send it to a random person they thought might have more use for it.

@"Cragga the Eighty Third.6015" said:They probably already had the skin unlocked, and thought that making someone else happy was worth more than the 80 silver or whatever pathetic price they could get for it. They probably looked around for someone who looked new-ish and who would appreciate a new skin.

I used to take dyes I didn't need and randomly mail them to people on the beginner maps who looked new, but it is hard to tell the difference between a new player and someone ranking up a key farmer who could not be bothered to put a guild rep or title or outfit or something on their character.

That's happened to me before. Sometimes when I'm playing a low level character and don't feel like using fancy skins I'll also avoid using titles, representing a guild etc. to look like a new player (the hardest part is trying to remember not to glide), and then sometimes (usually when I'm near the bank in Divinity's Reach) someone's mailed me a 'welcome to Tyria' gift - dyes, low level but good quality equipment, something like that. I always send it back and tell them to try again because I'm not actually new, but it's nice to know people are doing that.

@Danikat.8537 said:

That's happened to me before. Sometimes when I'm playing a low level character and don't feel like using fancy skins I'll also avoid using titles, representing a guild etc. to look like a new player (the hardest part is trying to remember not to glide), and then sometimes (usually when I'm near the bank in Divinity's Reach) someone's mailed me a 'welcome to Tyria' gift - dyes, low level but good quality equipment, something like that. I always send it back and tell them to try again because I'm not actually new, but it's nice to know people are doing that.

Why are you going out of your way to try to appear as a new player? I mean, no reason to use outfits or rep a guild if you don’t want to, but your message implies even inconveniencing yourself (trying to remember not to glide) to try to appear new. :confused: But your mastery points should still be visible I would think...

Anyway, it’s nice when people try to help others and new players especially! :) I usually ask first in chat if someone needs something so as to send things to people who actually want them. Nothing wrong with a random gift though.

@VDAC.2137 said:

Why are you going out of your way to try to appear as a new player? I mean, no reason to use outfits or rep a guild if you don’t want to, but your message implies even inconveniencing yourself (trying to remember not to glide) to try to appear new. :confused: But your mastery points should still be visible I would think...

Anyway, it’s nice when people try to help others and new players especially! :) I usually ask first in chat if someone needs something so as to send things to people who actually want them. Nothing wrong with a random gift though.

It's a combination of trying to fit in with genuinely new/low level people rather than being another person simply rushing through doing map completion and trying to remind myself what it was like to be new without having to switch accounts. I guess it's a weird form of immersion, but in the game mechanics rather than the story. I've never thought about mastery points though, I thought those only showed up after you reached level 80.

@Danikat.8537 said:

It's a combination of trying to fit in with genuinely new/low level people rather than being another person simply rushing through doing map completion and trying to remind myself what it was like to be new without having to switch accounts. I guess it's a weird form of immersion, but in the game mechanics rather than the story. I've never thought about mastery points though, I thought those only showed up after you reached level 80.

I can respect that. :) You know, I’m not sure about the mastery points now that you mention it; I don’t know whether or not that shows on characters below level 80. I will have to check out of curiosity...

@VDAC.2137 said:

I can respect that. :) You know, I’m not sure about the mastery points now that you mention it; I don’t know whether or not that shows on characters below level 80. I will have to check out of curiosity...

It do not only shows the level

@Linken.6345 said:

It do not only shows the level

You’re right; I was mistaken.