Hi guys! New mesmer here!

pdmxd.4375

So I just came back after years of not playing the game and leveled a mesmer to 80 doing maps and following this build: https://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Chronomancer_-_Sword/x_Phantasms but sometimes I don't know which rotations to do or if I'm even using the class correctly T_T, can someone give a few tips?

I bought every gear assassin but I still only have 85% crit chance with fury, it's because I still lack the infusions?

It’s an open world build so I assume it’s for open world stuff? Rotations aren’t too important there, it’s just a matter of knowing offensive/defensive skills and when you can go leeroy or not.

Otherwise, if you go full offensive, a phantasm + blurred frenzy + 1 clone mind wrack is enough to significantly blow up any trash mob; for vets you’d spam phants starting from the non-sword -> sword -> disenchanter -> siggy of Ether for recharge -> sword -> disenchanter -> non-sword -> blurred frenzy etc. and they should be near dead anyway.

For soloing champs, that’s where you’d need to pay attention to using defensive skills, while kinda pressing all the offensive ones off CD (since you don’t take SoE it the ‘rotation’ doesn’t exist anymore). However if you’re not soloing or an leeroy enthusiast like me, you can go all out and do the raid/frac opening rotation in entirety, and make up for the rest of remaining health while trying to survive at the same time :smiley:

85% crit chance is fine, raid-wise, the missing % is from food, banners and spotter, which give ~4.7% each. There might be missing a 2% for optimisation, though I don’t think it’s that necessary.

@"Noodle Ant.1605" said:It’s an open world build so I assume it’s for open world stuff? Rotations aren’t too important there, it’s just a matter of knowing offensive/defensive skills and when you can go leeroy or not.

Otherwise, if you go full offensive, a phantasm + blurred frenzy + 1 clone mind wrack is enough to significantly blow up any trash mob; for vets you’d spam phants starting from the non-sword -> sword -> disenchanter -> siggy of Ether for recharge -> sword -> disenchanter -> non-sword -> blurred frenzy etc. and they should be near dead anyway.

For soloing champs, that’s where you’d need to pay attention to using defensive skills, while kinda pressing all the offensive ones off CD (since you don’t take SoE it the ‘rotation’ doesn’t exist anymore). However if you’re not soloing or an leeroy enthusiast like me, you can go all out and do the raid/frac opening rotation in entirety, and make up for the rest of remaining health while trying to survive at the same time :smiley:

85% crit chance is fine, raid-wise, the missing % is from food, banners and spotter, which give ~4.7% each. There might be missing a 2% for optimisation, though I don’t think it’s that necessary.

Thanks a lot! I mostly want to do open world stuff (HoT and PoF) untill I get the grip of the game again then I'm going to do fractals/dungeons . I want to solo champs but I need to get down the mechanics and what each skill do exactly.Do chrono lack AoE?I was a little confused because the open world build uses wells and the fractal doesn't. So I leave the wells for open world meta events and switch for the fractal one for harder fights like bosses/champions?

@pdmxd.4375 said:Thanks a lot! I mostly want to do open world stuff (HoT and PoF) untill I get the grip of the game again then I'm going to do fractals/dungeons . I want to solo champs but I need to get down the mechanics and what each skill do exactly.Do chrono lack AoE?I was a little confused because the open world build uses wells and the fractal doesn't. So I leave the wells for open world meta events and switch for the fractal one for harder fights like bosses/champions?Chrono has a level of cleave, but AoE wise - yeah, it’s sad. I usually take sword/sword, x/focus practically everywhere for the group pull on focus #4, it just makes my life (and others) easier.

The ‘meta’ (frac/raid) build is what you’d use against non champs and instanced content with others, and the one with the Wells + shield is made for the intention of soloing champs. Chrono isn’t put in a lot of danger using its rotation (the phantasm casts are ranged and blurred frenzy evades) so you’d run the ‘meta’ setup for the most part, switching to the build you’ve linked for evidently stronger opponents, or ones which you don’t know the skills of. It’s mostly a matter of switching weapons and few utilities to suit your needs, so the build is actually quite flexible in what you want to achieve (e.g. I remembered solo’ing the mastery boss in verdant brink that constantly vomits a bunch of adds because I knew I had to take ranged + feedback)

So use the open world build for difficult content and the power build for going around, gotcha.

The build you linked have full zerk on, the one on the metabattle has almost every piece of gear assasin like the sword/sword/shield one. The rotation is almost the same but doest the stats make a huge difference?

Do you have any personal tips btw? Don't know if there's some class secret I don't know yet haha.

Sorry if this is a lot of questions, I'm not as familiar with the game as I once was.

@pdmxd.4375 said:So use the open world build for difficult content and the power build for going around, gotcha.

The build you linked have full zerk on, the one on the metabattle has almost every piece of gear assasin like the sword/sword/shield one. The rotation is almost the same but doest the stats make a huge difference?

Do you have any personal tips btw? Don't know if there's some class secret I don't know yet haha.

Sorry if this is a lot of questions, I'm not as familiar with the game as I once was.Noooooooo my secrets! xD

The stat difference exists since the the build I linked is for raids, which assumes good slow uptime so you can run Danger Time for the 15% extra crit chance (the website should really state this). The trait is fairly useless when you play solo however, since you lose more dmg than you gain if you try to build around it. I run Improved Alacrity with all the assassin gear myself, because I run much more open world than I do raids, although I take a bit less precision so I don’t overcap crit so much in fracs.

There’s really no secret behind mashing the phantasm buttons and then Signet of Ether (heal skill) and then going back to mash the phantasms again. Before, there was a Continuum Split secret feature involving aftercast timing, but sadly it’s been ‘bugfixed’ by anet.

I guess there’s clone and shatter management as well - basically try to shatter (Mind Wrack) @ 3 clones so you don’t waste further clones. Cry of Fustration is mostly useless, only use for extra dmg right after another shatter when you have 0 clones. Use Diversion to interrupt hard hitting or cc skills and Distort as either cover for casting skills or as a panic button, trading clones for defense rather than offense (though 0 clones works just as well). When you solo champs, breaking the blue bar with cc (if it exists) is actually important, I’d advise saving up for a 3 clone Diversion over a 3 clone Mind Wrack, and then unload all your dmg when the bar is broken as it takes more dmg.

Edit: If you have the PoF expansion and want real deep secrets, I’d suggest asking the mirage masters, since they apparently make open world a cakewalk while still being meta/ very viable for high end PvE content. It’s a radically different play style, but like most people, I would recommend playing the one you prefer most.

I can't thank you enough for how much you helped me, I was so confused before, you really helped a lot!

I tried learning more about mirage before deciding if I wanted to be a chrono or a mirage and oh boy, it was just too much for a returning player xD. Never made a condi build, learning how make viper's gear made me a little lost.

Edit: One last question, what sigils would you use? I think it would come down to preference between those used on the builds right?

For chrono, as a large percentage of dmg comes from your phantasms which don’t benefit from much of your sigils, so it doesn’t matter too much which sigils you take. According to a benchmarker, even agony sigils (increases bleed duration, much wow) is a competitive choice.

However, I would recommend at least a force sigil for the first slot and as for the other:

• Impact is part of the meta, makes you (and only you) do more dmg, especially to disabled foes or when their breakbar is broken.
  • Air is good for single target and trash burst.
  • Agony for lols (is only decent on Illu + focus builds I think).
  • Strength for open world where you can’t reach 25 might.
  • I actually think bloodlust is the most potent choice for chrono, since the power increase actually affects your illusions as well. It’s roughly a ~7% overall dmg increase even when fully buffed, but of course requires you to have killed 25 things beforehand.