Core Glass Cannon Staff Ele for SPVP (May 2020)

Liberis.9573

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I find it absolutely nuts that people run core staff ele without Lightning Rod (and Arcane Revival to a lesser extent since I get people just wanting an extra Arcane Shield), but it's cool that people manage to make it work! Oh yeah, also, might while attacking in fire instead of MORE LAVA FONT too. I guess some of the trait options are far more optional than I thought, or maybe I just enjoy surprise rezzing people from the brink and tossing people around with Tornado way too much. Oh yeah, the runes too: I can't imagine playing without Runes of Speed. Permanent super speed is delicious. The whole package displayed in the video is just so foreign to me lol.

• 1 month later...

I've tried to make staff ele work, but never manged it. What do you do when there's a herald/thief/soulbeast/weaver/mesmer with decent awareness on the enemy team? Seems like they'd just instantly kill you as soon as you show up to a fight. Let's see a video of dealing with that.

@"reikken.4961" said:I've tried to make staff ele work, but never manged it. What do you do when there's a herald/thief/soulbeast/weaver/mesmer with decent awareness on the enemy team? Seems like they'd just instantly kill you as soon as you show up to a fight. Let's see a video of dealing with that.

You have a ton of escapes, slows, knockbacks, speed, stuns, etc.

Fire 4, into Lighting 4 w/ "One with Air (Superspeed)", into air 5, into earth 4 or water 2,4, etc. You also have low CD arcane shield, plus a trait-based arcane shield, plus constant endurance regen from crits. You have a lot more survivability than you think, and it's mostly about awareness and positioning. Play the edges, play like a chicken (don't be afraid to run and waste people's time), play around your CDs, almost never participate in 1v1s (unless you have the point and your CDs are up), run INTO your team if you're getting chased (not away from the point), and preemptively drop your aoes on yourself if you need to. Your damage itself is a deterrent as well.

I'll try to record another video when I can.

@Liberis.9573 said:

@"reikken.4961" said:I've tried to make staff ele work, but never manged it. What do you do when there's a herald/thief/soulbeast/weaver/mesmer with decent awareness on the enemy team? Seems like they'd just instantly kill you as soon as you show up to a fight. Let's see a video of dealing with that.

Fire 4, into Lighting 4 w/ "One with Air (Superspeed)", into air 5, into earth 4 or water 2,4, etc. You also have low CD arcane shield, plus a trait-based arcane shield, plus constant endurance regen from crits. You have a lot more survivability than you think, and it's mostly about awareness and positioning. Play the edges, play like a chicken (don't be afraid to run and waste people's time), play around your CDs, almost never participate in 1v1s (unless you have the point and your CDs are up), run INTO your team if you're getting chased (not away from the point), and preemptively drop your aoes on yourself if you need to. Your damage itself is a deterrent as well.

While you are being chased you are not doing you primary role - pack aoe, the guy chasing you can keep chasing you through your attempts to escape, kill you and knock you out of the fight for 30 + seconds. Staff is still a parasitical build that is useless unless you can sneak about the edges of a fight undusturbed, that's a huge risk for a team to take to get a fragile aoer.

I play Weaver d/d and every time I see one, I hunt him down and destroy him. The fight is basically 4v5 half the time as a result. I wish staff was better in spvp, but its not there at the moment.

@vesica tempestas.1563 said:

While you are being chased you are not doing you primary role - pack aoe, the guy chasing you can keep chasing you through your attempts to escape, kill you and knock you out of the fight for 30 + seconds. Staff is still a parasitical build that is useless unless you can sneak about the edges of a fight undusturbed, that's a huge risk for a team to take to get a fragile aoer.

I play Weaver d/d and every time I see one, I hunt him down and destroy him. The fight is basically 4v5 half the time as a result. I wish staff was better in spvp, but its not there at the moment.

It depends on how good you are to escape someone. Sure, you are not doing anything if you run, but neither is your follower! So it is 4v4.I was playing staff ele in 2012 and nobody could kill me at that time because I was really good with cc skills.Not saying I would play staff today.

That's true. For equal skilled players Your follower knows you are desperate to escape so he knows keeping the chase on and killing you will knock you out of the game for 40 seconds or so and return to 4v 5 got a bit. Personally I play condy with med range, so they tend to bleed hp, panic turn to aoe then die. Good staff player v poor chaser and its a different story, if you were a dedicated staff player that would have helped :)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi, Qwahzi, around beginning of 2017 i wrote a staff elementalist guide, after which i've been inactive ever since :'( .While there's quite a lot in it that still could be relevant today, the guide is really outdated, losing its credibility. Although i can't really come back to GW2 yet to update it, i really do need it updated! So i therefore kinda have been looking around for someone who was capable of doing this.

You seem like the perfect person!

It would do the community a big favor if you could help me out on this one. :)

the guide that needs updating:

https://documentcloud.adobe.com/link/track?uri=urn%3Aaaid%3Ascds%3AUS%3A05cede46-0a6e-46d2-b423-a1d694541313

• 1 month later...

Staff probably wont work as well passed gold mainly because heavy power pressure can kill you quite easily. Staff has a hard time getting out of druid immob spam. Any good team running power can focus you pretty easily. It can work in team fights, but 1v1 I cant see you winning vs most side node builds. If you're playing staff I think tempest can help cover some of the melee range damage weaknesses while giving free stunbreaks. Not trying to discourage but I have a hard time believing staff ele is still dishing out the damage required to be affective

If you have a team and you all have audio and some people have mics you got it. For god sakes back in 2013-2015 earth d/d ele or fire usally 1v3 while you team consist of 1-2 power rangers that fight off point and sometimes never even stand on point they just harass on side lines. They key is communication. Try playing hotjoin with players without mics or audio communication vs people who have a solid team. Makes a big difference and that's why we used to have solo queues. Team think is the word, a team mate can fill out what you lack. Now I want to see zero communication and everyone play as a staff ele with randoms that have zero knowledge of each other's playstyle... Joys of 2012.

• 1 month later...

The big balance patch has made core glass staff really strong. You can AoE burst better than anyone else, and that burst is more useful than ever because of the increased TTK. You also survive longer because everyone else's damage was nerfed. Wayyy easier to play now, especially compared to my thief lol