Should the Skyscale map currency be reduced?

@PervMonk.4891 said:

@Blood Red Arachnid.2493 said:Something else that I just realized: getting the currency
isn't
a waste of our time. Why? Because you're getting money for it. I have 100 treasure hunting kits sitting in my bank, waiting for me to play again. Doing all of the metas in the LWS4 maps give out rewards for completing them.

you know there is a reason people dont go to these maps any more, cuz they have no rewards. i had 0 currency of the last 5 maps so i farmed all the of them and all i got was like 10-15g and some vm 1-2kand after a month or two the maps will die again and you wont find any one to do any events

It never ceases to amaze me how people magically don't make money...

Look, 10-15g is the low end of what I'm going to pull with those treasure hunting kits if I get unlucky. It's also less than what I earned getting kralk ore, and less than what I earned getting the branded masses. The reason for this is simple: The best way to get these materials is to spread yourself between the maps and do the big metas.

Istan: Palawadan and Great Hall. Still a great source of gold. Do it once a day, until you fill up on other currencies. But more than likely you'll fill up on Kralk ore alone, because this awards, like, 50.Jahai: Death-Branded Shatterer. It's every two hours. Also, a lot of people do some of the rifts and djin events, which also give good awards. Show up for the shatterer daily, stick around for rifts when you see them. Also if you get lucky with the Branded Eye of Argon, you'll get 1k gold.Thunderhead Peaks: There's two metas here, alternating every hour. Both the keep and the oil flow have decent awards. Combine the two plates together, and you get 3-4 gold from just that alone.Sandswept Isles: There's two metas on this map as well. I don't have a timer for them, because they tend to be up whenever (check the LFG liberally). The specimen chamber has a daily award, but also much more. Since all of the enemies drop loot, this is an excellent karma farm. The other, Gathering Storm, isn't done as much, but it still awards decently. A lot of champs spawn during it.Kourna: The meta event for this map has a low cooldown and no limit on rewards. This makes it really easy to grind the inscribed shards, and also made it a decent grind when the map was released, too.Dragonfall: The end meta of this map is currently the most rewarding thing in the game. The rewards are so good that the price of rares and ectos are plummeting, because of how many are awarded.

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Blood Red Arachnid.2493 said:Something else that I just realized: getting the currency isn't a waste of our time. Why? Because you're getting money for it. I have 100 treasure hunting kits sitting in my bank, waiting for me to play again. Doing all of the metas in the LWS4 maps give out rewards for completing them.

Lol are these kits worth it? I have always thrown them away.

@Blood Red Arachnid.2493 said:Something else that I just realized: getting the currency isn't a waste of our time. Why? Because you're getting money for it. I have 100 treasure hunting kits sitting in my bank, waiting for me to play again. Doing all of the metas in the LWS4 maps give out rewards for completing them.

not really. What are i'm doing on the maps? farm the daily nodes. doing hearts with multiple chars. Maybe, but only maybe im doing an meta event when its up on my map.Some maps are ok, some other maps are painful boring an empty.

@Laurent.3962 said:

@Alehin.3746 said:Stop being lazy.

Wow, so constructive.Anyways, I voted to reduce it to 150. That seems much more reasonable to me. I'm unlocking a
mount
, not a legendary.

It shouldn't be reduced below 250 because getting map currency is easy enough and doesn't take long. You can use pvp/wvw daily potions, gather on different characters, do hearts and buy 5 of each per npc per character, etc. I did it, and you can do it too!It isn't a "legendary" but it's something at the end of the story arc, all those currencies are something anyone that actually play the game should've gathered. For people that just started or didn't even bother playing the other maps: Oh well, i guess now is the time you guys have to actually put effort into the story maps like everyone that already have the skycale did.

I'm glad the devs made it this way. It feels good having to do things to get cool stuff, it makes gw2 feel like a game instead of a movie. Hopefuly we have more stuff like this in the works!

Yeah, cool. You did it your way. I'm doing it my way. I'm not going to break my back doing content I dislike just to "speed" it up.Well you're free to keep doing what you're into but that doesn't give you the right to "pay less" for the same reward because your subpar way of playing the game doesn't work.By the way, only need Branded Masses and Mistborne Motes now.Good job! Almost there!But sure, I must be "lazy" because I think this should be reduced to a more reasonable requirement: 150 of these currencies. 150 still requires
effort
and for you to play the map, if that's your argument and logic.250 is a reasonable amount. It's not our fault you can't "break your back" and do other things to speed up your progress. 250 requires a lot of effort, yes, but it's a pretty damn cool mount. Cool things that require effort to get are good for the game, way better than things that require less effort because people that can't be efficient think it's "reasonable". lol

I bet the huge majority of people that have skycale didn't complain in the forum about it, they just went there and did it. What makes you think players that don't play the game have the right to get things easier?

@aspirine.5839 said:

@"Blood Red Arachnid.2493" said:Something else that I just realized: getting the currency
isn't
a waste of our time. Why? Because you're getting money for it. I have 100 treasure hunting kits sitting in my bank, waiting for me to play again. Doing all of the metas in the LWS4 maps give out rewards for completing them.

Lol are these kits worth it? I have always thrown them away.

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/62635/superior-buried-treasure-more-valuable-than-we-thought-data-amp-farming/p1

The currencies seems "reasonable" for alot of people. For me personally it isn't, I don't have the time to really go out and farm for it, since I have to run my own company. Gw2 is a fun way to get out of the daily stress from work. Yet I only have a certain time frame that I am able to play to wich is mostly 2 to 4 hours a week devides over different days. Now to put things in perspective, where other people with alot of time on hands took only a couple of months to get a legendary weapon it took me 5 years before I got my first and only legendary. Since this mount is nowhere near a legendary there is nothing reasonable about the amount of map currencies. The time gate didn't bother me since I only have a certain amount of time, so I could deal with that also for the first wave of collection wasn't too bad. But with the map currencies this is going to take me another year or 2 before I am able to get that mount. It's a shame that there is no other solution for people with less time on hands. I mean legendaries it's normall there but a mount with handicaps (energybar).. It shouldn't be that way... It's just dissappointing

The currency seems reasonable to those who stored it.I honestly thought since i didn't bother with legendary trinkets the only other use for these currency's was volatile magic.why are we left to work out for our selfs what future uses anet will put these currency to. was i supposed to know back in 2017 that i needed to keep these currency's for a mount collection in 2019?

@Curse.7368 said:But with the map currencies this is going to take me another year or 2 before I am able to get that mount.

It'll take you around a month. Use someone else's home instance nodes and use the trader in Dragonfall. That's 8/day. 250/8=32 days.

@"eldrin.6471" said:why are we left to work out for our selfs what future uses anet will put these currency to. was i supposed to know back in 2017 that i needed to keep these currency's for a mount collection in 2019?

Why would you not expect an end-of-season reward to require map currency? Aurora was the same.

Extend this logic to other currencies."How was I supposed to know I needed to keep my gold for xyz""How was I supposed to know I couldn't dump all my karma because this needs it""How was I supposed to know you would add new skins to WvW tickets, I just bought all the Obsidian skins but I want those ones now"

It doesn't make sense.

I just got my Skyscale yesterday as I was done with grinding the currencies. I say keep it not just because ive already bought it. The skyscale actually gave me a reason to vist all the other maps of this season and increased their population. If you was an avid player of the living world up to this point then you basicly already had everything so it wasnt much of a problem. If you were like me you were missing a fair chunk of them and had to go back and farm them which is a good thing. It provided some more renewability to the content and injected more life into some of the "less popular" maps.

The only blindsiding issue was people was unaware of this so after getting past the time gates they are faced with this wall. This issue should be non exsistant now though and its can be considdered widly known that you require 250 of the currencies. This means you can spend your time leasurly gaining the currencies while you progress through the collection and its various time gates.

Yes, it should be reduced and/or the events and map completion should be made to give out a lot more of the currencies. For me it's not really even about the time required (which is quite absurd tbh). It's the fact that grinding the hearts over and over and over again for the currencies is simply not fun. There is zero challenge and very little engagement. It's basically ArenaNet saying 'go run against a wall for a week'.

The previous steps before the saddle were quite fun if you ask me.

I remember when they did stream in which they showed Skyscale for the first time and Rubi said "we won't tell you how you unlock Skyscale".... now thinking about it, of course they didn't want to tell because it was timegated and they knew people would be mad and then on top of daily timegates they make you take even longer because you have to farm. Why didn't they at least say we will need 250 of each to get a headstart ... I did my achievements and collectibles in these zones and didn't bother gathering more.

I haven't felt like playing since Thursday because of this currency grind, well I didn't feel like it several days before that to be fair. I just don't have the drive for it after the previous collections burned me out. I also got super bored during the 4 days I could only press a hotkey 3 times to feed the Skyscale before any progress were allowed, so that was obviously a great design choice. I lost interest pretty much entirely. Doing Hearts that aren't even fun, the same events I've done before and tired of, months ago, repeatedly, and running around gathering nodes in maps I don't even want to play in is just not motivating me to log in and play, or you know.. spend any money. Good job, ArenaNet, seriously good job. This is the fastest I have ever lost interest in the/a game after an update. You did it. I applaud you for your demotivational skills and taking what could have been a great update and making it terrible, to me anyways. You have successfully transformed Guild Wars 2 into a grindy Korean MMORPG/mobile game, probably how NCSOFT wants it. Pat yourselves on the back for being this good at losing a player and maybe go read your Guild Wars 2 Design Manifesto post too see how far you've come/strayed. Maybe I'll be back when the next update hits to see if it's just as bad.

@Sarrs.4831 said:

@Curse.7368 said:But with the map currencies this is going to take me another year or 2 before I am able to get that mount.

It'll take you around a month. Use someone else's home instance nodes and use the trader in Dragonfall. That's 8/day. 250/8=32 days.

@"eldrin.6471" said:why are we left to work out for our selfs what future uses anet will put these currency to. was i supposed to know back in 2017 that i needed to keep these currency's for a mount collection in 2019?

Why would you not expect an end-of-season reward to require map currency? Aurora was the same.

Extend this logic to other currencies."How was I supposed to know I needed to keep my gold for xyz""How was I supposed to know I couldn't dump all my karma because this needs it""How was I supposed to know you would add new skins to WvW tickets, I just bought all the Obsidian skins but I want
those
ones now"

It doesn't make sense.

there is no precedent for a mount to require map currency's..no other mount was handled like this.as i said i was not into legendary trinkets and seen no other use for these currency's other than volatile magici should have known in 2017 that i needed to keep these currency's for the sky scale mount in 2019 when no other mount added to the game required map currency's.utter nonsense.

To tell other players "You should have known" is not helpful. By that same logic, we "should have known" the requirements for the Skyscale would be the same as the last PvE mount, the Roller Beetle. Except they weren't. This grind is killing my interest in the game. I want the Skyscale and freely admit I'm impatient, but I'm coming to HATE the maps. Give us more options to the acquisition other than grind, grind, grind.

I don't think any game has made me this angry in years. This whole Skyscale thing has made me despise the game to the point that I can barely log in to do dailies. I kept going forward trying to get some of the map currency because friends kept telling me that I've worked so hard, it'd be a shame to stop now, but the thing is that I've tried it and the more I play the game to get the currency, the more I despise it to the point that I am seriously considering either quitting or not logging in for a while. If I knew what it would take to get the Skyscale from the start, I wouldn't have started it, at least not right now. I finished Nevermore, Binding of Ipos and full WvW legendary armor, but I knew exactly what I was getting into when I started those collections and I had no problem spending even more than a year to get some of those.

On the other hand, we have the Skyscale, a mount I had no reason to believe that I would need to complete repetitive collection after boring collection after annoying collection to get it, and so on and so forth until the grind that is the 250 map currency and then even one more collection because why not? I only did the story on the ls4 maps because the game was mostly unplayable on the laptop, and I was looking forward to going back and completing the maps slowly on the new computer because I actually enjoy stuff like that sometimes, but now, after grinding the currency and barely getting any, and already wasting so many hours of precious time I should be spending on something else, I'm angrier than ever.

Every time I thought I was close to getting the Skyscale, it was always one more collection. It's that feeling of thinking you're almost done with something only to find out you're not, a feeling I've experienced way too many times while doing these collections to the point that I couldn't even find within me the strength to get the Rolling Beetle when I saw that I needed to finish yet another collection.

I do not usually read twitter, reddit, facebook or the forum, so next time, if I'm still playing the game by then, I would appreciate it if Anet lets us know beforehand that stuff that most of us assume to be just another regular thing is in fact supposed to be some Legendary item. If I knew Skyscale was some legendary mount, I would've chosen to instead spend my time getting Aurora, since for me it's more important to be able to change stats easily than some mount I can't even use in WvW.

That being said, I just can't do it anymore. Even if I manage to get the mount eventually, I will never be able to enjoy it because all I can think about is the repetitive boring collections and the unending grind that took to get it.

i done the collection all the way up to sky scale saddle only to learn i had to grind out these currency.i see the sky scale stream on 24th and from that its clear the guy responsible for this collection was inexperienced. why hide the scale of this collection? anet let me spend several days working for something i could never get .legendary armour required legendary insights and that was clear from the outset.nothing about this mount was clear.

@"Absconditus.6804" said:I haven't felt like playing since Thursday because of this currency grind, well I didn't feel like it several days before that to be fair. I just don't have the drive for it after the previous collections burned me out. I also got super bored during the 4 days I could only press a hotkey 3 times to feed the Skyscale before any progress were allowed, so that was obviously a great design choice. I lost interest pretty much entirely. Doing Hearts that aren't even fun, the same events I've done before and tired of, months ago, repeatedly, and running around gathering nodes in maps I don't even want to play in is just not motivating me to log in and play, or you know.. spend any money. Good job, ArenaNet, seriously good job. This is the fastest I have ever lost interest in the/a game after an update. You did it. I applaud you for your demotivational skills and taking what could have been a great update and making it terrible, to me anyways. You have successfully transformed Guild Wars 2 into a grindy Korean MMORPG/mobile game, probably how NCSOFT wants it. Pat yourselves on the back for being this good at losing a player and maybe go read your Guild Wars 2 Design Manifesto post too see how far you've come/strayed. Maybe I'll be back when the next update hits to see if it's just as bad.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/No-grind-philosophy/page/4#post4733273

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

The other side of this is: no, why should ANet reduce the amounts at all? This is a one-time requirement. It's going to bring people back to LS4 maps the same way that people continue to return to LS3 maps for the Wayfarer's Henge back. In that context, 250 mats/map seems light.

They should bring people back to old maps by adding something fun to do, not by adding a huge grind ... it literally made me braindead! They can even just add better rewards in these maps, PoF too and people would be flocking back to them in no time.And don't tell me "oh you don't have to do it, no one is making you"... I'm AP hunter so that argument won't apply.All I needed Skyscale for is done (reaching high places) so once I get it, it's absolutely useless and I'd despise it after all the grind and timegates.Just because something is 1-time-thing doesn't make it right. They're risking losing players if they never add anything fun but just timegates in order to have you come back because there is no other reason to go back as it is. I'm already trying my best to make my bf continue to play, when even I'm losing all hope that they listen, let alone care. They already know how people feel about timegates and many other things and they continue to shove them in the game.They say "we made it like this so people wouldn't have to pay 250g"... well, it's less brain damaging to earn gold as I can earn it by doing anything I enjoy while these currencies I can only earn ONE way and it's repetitive and I feel like I only have couple more brain cells before I become a vegetable.

I was one of those people ANET so "justifiably" banned in the last ban wave.Safe to say I missed out the main grinding time from episode 2 to episode 5. So they throw some cost them noting gems my way after they were proven to not know what they were doing with the ban, I catch up with the story and get this thrown at me. A grind I was never able to participate because of a direct bungle by ANET.Save to say, I'm sticking with my Griffon. I'm glad I have no plan to drop any more money on ANET because this grind reeks of Activision-Blizzard artificial padding to keep people playing.

This is all sorts of sad honestly.

@MetalGirl.2370 said:

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

The other side of this is: no, why should ANet reduce the amounts at all? This is a one-time requirement. It's going to bring people back to LS4 maps the same way that people continue to return to LS3 maps for the Wayfarer's Henge back. In that context, 250 mats/map seems light.

They should bring people back to old maps by adding something fun to do,
not by adding a huge grind ... it literally made me braindead
! They can even just add better rewards in these maps, PoF too and people would be flocking back to them in no time.And don't tell me "oh you don't have to do it, no one is making you"...
I'm AP hunter so that argument won't apply.
All I needed Skyscale for is done (reaching high places) so once I get it, it's absolutely useless and I'd despise it after all the grind and timegates.Just because something is 1-time-thing doesn't make it right. They're risking losing players if they never add anything fun but just timegates in order to have you come back because there is no other reason to go back as it is. I'm already trying my best to make my bf continue to play, when even I'm losing all hope that they listen, let alone care. They already know how people feel about timegates and many other things and they continue to shove them in the game.They say "we made it like this so people wouldn't have to pay 250g"... well, it's less brain damaging to earn gold as I can earn it by doing anything I enjoy while these currencies I can only earn ONE way and it's repetitive and I feel like I only have couple more brain cells before I become a vegetable.

As an AP hunter, wouldn't you be used to this type of grind?

In my opinion, this whole story with a grind and a timegates for a new mount, and a generally similar approach to the design of the game, is one of the reasons why MMORPGs are dying out. "You have to work for it!" - this approach was relevant 10 years ago. In WoW since the Lich King. Then it was a novelty, then it was interesting, then a new mount for collection seemed worth its effort. 10 years ago.Now it is no longer new, and not very interesting in principle to a very large number of players. We go to the game to rest, and not to work on the second, virtual, work. For which, which is important, we ourselves paid! I bought the vanilla GW2 in 2013, I bought both extensions, I often bought gems for real money - and I still have to “work”?:) Seriously? I work in the IRL.This is also one of the reasons why I have never done and I am not going to make legendary weapons or armor. This is a job. This is not a relaxation. I've had the “collection” for the griffon. Never again:)Again, IMHO - but if Anet paid more attention to WvW mode, instead of developing the next mega- grind collection, they would be able to attract many more players to the GW2. PvP is generally in trend now, just look at the Steam statistics. The first places, and with a huge margin, is occupied by PvP-oriented games. Because people are tired of grind. Personally I am far from being the best player in WvW - but I don’t really strive for this:) This regime is just interesting for me, it gives me a drive - and at the same time relaxes me. What I need from the video-game:)Sorry, I was a little distracted from the very topic of voting.Yes, in my opinion the amount of currency (and the amount of time) for a new dragon should be reduced. To the level of requirements for obtaining Warclaw. Or even give it after passage of a new episode of the story and the battle with some boss.