What ifs about Elite specializations.

Crab Fear.1624

What if:

1. the next elite specialization taught you to use a current weapon in your arsenal differently?
  2. the next elite is a choice to master/upgrade/improve/change a core trait?
  3. if the next elite isn't a specialization, but a chance to add a few skills to old types because professions improve over time (consider professions like doctors, scientists)?
  4. if you could hobby/borrow one trait line from an alternative profession? (only one and it's permanent)
  5. the next specialization wasn't called elite and you could take it with current elites?

@"Crab Fear.1624" said:What if:

1. the next elite specialization taught you to use a current weapon in your arsenal differently?

Probably possible.

1. the next elite is a choice to master/upgrade/improve/change a core trait?

Nope, this would create a mess.

1. if the next elite isn't a specialization, but a chance to add a few skills to old types because professions improve over time (consider professions like doctors, scientists)?

Probably possible, however after the release of full e-spec, I guess the player base would be disappointed.

1. if you could hobby/borrow one trait line from an alternative profession? (only one and it's permanent)

Traitlines are to closely tied to the different core mechanism of the professions to make this suggestion viable. There would be a huge waste of traits for each traitline you take. Take elementalist's traitlines, there are so tightly tied to being attuned to a specific element that they would be almost useless for all other professions. Necromancer's traitline? Too bad, you don't have shroud. Mesmer? Where are your clones?... etc.

ANd I'm not even taking into account the specific utility skill traits for utilities like: corruption, banner, spirit, consecration, venom... etc. that seem to be specific to each professions.

1. the next specialization wasn't called elite and you could take it with current elites?

I think this would be something possible, however, would it really have a relevant impact? It would increase the builds possibilities but, either some trait are busted and the traitline will become meta or the traitline will stay mostly irrelevant. It won't change greatly the state of the game and will certainly not fix the underlying core issue of each profession.

The first point is possible rest is rather improbable.But I would like to see weapon masteries instead of a whole elite that changes a weapon. So you can unlock multiple fighting styles per weapon.

And if a traitlines is added that isn't elite I want to suggest race traitlines that focus arround worl interaction and have a mastery aspect to it.Like sylvari can prepare root traps and asura can make stasis fields as siege weapons etc.

It would bring more importance to races.Nothing that power creeps the shit out of stuff but atleast good.

In PvE it could even lead to some lore interactions and tighter bonding with your race decision.

I'm not sure giving race more impact would be a good idea. It would sure add flavor but it could also add "discrimination" which is not welcome. ANet already try hard to make racial skills irrelevant, adding a racial traitline bound to be irrelevant feel just like a waste of their time.

@"Crab Fear.1624" said:

That's already the case for at least three elite specs: Weaver, Mirage, and Berserker.

1. the next elite is a choice to master/upgrade/improve/change a core trait?

I'm not sure how this would work. Do you mean that you choose one of your normal specs to make into an upgraded 'elite' line? If so, that's been suggested before as a way to reduce the performance disparity between elite specs and core professions.

1. if the next elite isn't a specialization, but a chance to add a few skills to old types because professions improve over time (consider professions like doctors, scientists)?

There's no reason they couldn't do this, but I don't know how this would be the "next elite" if it's not an elite spec.

1. if you could hobby/borrow one trait line from an alternative profession? (only one and it's permanent)

I wondered about this a while ago, as a way to bring back secondary professions - but I don't see how it would work without being a total mess, since so many traits interact with profession mechanics.

1. the next specialization wasn't called elite and you could take it with current elites?

Again, there's no reason why they couldn't do this. Would it still come with a new weapon and set of utility skills? If so I guess 3 and 5 are sort of the same suggestion.

@"Dadnir.5038" said:I'm not sure giving race more impact would be a good idea. It would sure add flavor but it could also add "discrimination" which is not welcome. ANet already try hard to make racial skills irrelevant, adding a racial traitline bound to be irrelevant feel just like a waste of their time.

My point basically is to stop making it pointless. It's decision you make and it should have some impact.It shouldn't be available for everything competitive though. But atleast useful and not plain out worse than everything else.