"/discord" chat command in game?

abram.3081

I had an idea and was wondering if it would be possible to add a /command to the GW2 in game chat box that would automatically open discord channel links in the way the /wiki command functions. Since Discord is so popular in the GW2 community, I thought this could add a bit more integration and QoL.

@abram.3081 said:I had an idea and was wondering if it would be possible to add a /command to the GW2 in game chat box that would automatically open discord channel links in the way the /wiki command functions. Since Discord is so popular in the GW2 community, I thought this could add a bit more integration and QoL.It's certainly possible; it just seems like a lot of work for a minor convenience.

The wiki is on ANet's servers; Discord runs its own. To make this work, Discord would have to offer an API that would allow GW2 to

• check if Discord is installed
  • authorize a credential check to a Discord account
  • identify to which Discord server and which channel the player wished to type

ANet would also have to support the interface (and be prepared to troubleshoot issues) and arguably take responsibility for player conduct within those channels.

A simplified version this would be if ANet were to allow people to copy/paste Discord invites. That would bypass the need to check whether Discord is installed and the invite itself can specify a channel within a server.

However, that seems unlikely for other reasons. Historically, ANet hasn't enabled copy/paste from within the game because it's too easily used to point people to URLs that might violate some part of the Terms of Service. (e.g. Gold Sellers, cheatware, or sites inappropriate for the game's community).

It's worth asking, because maybe they've changed their mind about it.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@abram.3081 said:I had an idea and was wondering if it would be possible to add a /command to the GW2 in game chat box that would automatically open discord channel links in the way the /wiki command functions. Since Discord is so popular in the GW2 community, I thought this could add a bit more integration and QoL.It's certainly
possible
; it just seems like a lot of work for a minor convenience.

The wiki is on ANet's servers; Discord runs its own. To make this work, Discord would have to offer an API that would allow GW2 to
  • check if Discord is installed
  • authorize a credential check to a Discord account
  • identify to which Discord server and which channel the player wished to type

ANet would also have to support the interface (and be prepared to troubleshoot issues) and arguably take responsibility for player conduct within those channels.

A simplified version this would be if ANet were to allow people to copy/paste Discord invites. That would bypass the need to check whether Discord is installed and the invite itself can specify a channel within a server.

However, that seems unlikely for other reasons. Historically, ANet hasn't enabled copy/paste from within the game because it's too easily used to point people to URLs that might violate some part of the Terms of Service. (e.g. Gold Sellers, cheatware, or sites inappropriate for the game's community).

It's worth asking, because maybe they've changed their mind about it.

I was thinking more along the lines of just opening the invite link in the browser and letting Windows take over from there. I've clicked discord links on web pages and they would open in my Discord app.

• 2 weeks later...

@Nokomis.5076 said:Why not Skype?Why not Teamspeak?Why not (enter any program in here)?

By not making such a connection to a Third Party program at all, they save themselves lots of time.

I only made this suggestion based on the fact that they use Discord. They already have a 3rd party api accessing their servers, that's the whole point of this forum, no?Also, the time lost in making it can be made up for the amount of potential customers this would open up to. A lot of very popular multiplayer games have built in voice chat and this would be something closer to that without tye server lag associated.