New PC underperforming

@"Malafaia.8903" said:Hello bois,

Finally i've bought a new PC, but performance on GW2 is making cry, lol.

CPU Type - AMD Ryzen 7 2700 Eight-Core ProcessorGraphics Chipset - Radeon RX 580 SeriesCore Clock - 1366 MHzSystem Memory - 16 GBStorage - 246GB SSD

But i'm barely getting 30FPS on really low settings. Only app i'm running simultaneously is Discord.What can i do to improve this?

Something is wrong with your pc.

I have a Ryzen 1800x and I'm getting around 60+++ @ 2580 x 1080. Here is a screenshot in the exact same spot as you. Don't mind the spvp pop up, its bugged ahhhh.

gw054.jpg

My pc specs are:

Ryzen 7 1800xAMD Fury X64gb of ram

@Kanok.3027 said:Nah, there were plenty of premades with AMD. Same with Cytrix and a few other types here and there. Only ones that survived the CPU wars was Intel and AMD.

Nope. VIA is still around making x86-compatible CPUs for relatively undemanding embedded stuff that doesn't need ARM's low power consumption but that can benefit from x86 compatibility. It's the same market space that Intel pitches its Atom line at.

Something seems very off when looking at your graphics settings being at low and having 30+ fps only. Having a Ryzen 5 2600x myself with the auto overclock enabled which makes it go to 4.2ghz while gaming and i can get easily over 100 fps in wvw, thats with an 9700GTX ftw gpu ( obviously not in zerg fights where it hovers around 45 - 50 - 60. Thats with character limit at low though while the rest of the settings are high).

Im curious what kind of memory do you have ? Ive read that ryzen cpu's perform much better with higher memory speeds,i have 3200mhz 16gb ram myself from Corsair.It might also be that some settings in your bios need to be fine tuned or your bios needs an update. If you dont know how or what to change,get someone to help you with that.Check if drivers are installed correctly,it doesnt hurt to reinstall everything anyway.Make sure you run on the latest win 10 build aswell.

Your system should be capable enough of running this game with proper fps.

EDIT: Make sure your gpu is running at 16x speed ! You can check this with nvidia inspector https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/nvidia-inspector-download.htmlIf so you can normally fix it by simply reseating your GPU.

@Malafaia.8903 said:

@TinkTinkPOOF.9201 said:Please post a screen of your CPU load and GPU load, CPU load needs to be by logical processor and not total load. Before taking a screen, leave it open and play the game for a good bit, 30mins or more and then grab a screen so we can get an idea of what sort of loading the PC is seeing.

How i do this?

Open task manager,and check under Performance,then on the bottom click on Open Resource Monitor. For your gpu download a tool as Evga precision.But if u havent read my other post yet,i highly suggest to check if your Gpu is running at 16x speed and not at 4x which can result in the performance you currently have.Ive seen this been the case on the forum tons of times in the past.

Oh, I also remembered a situation I've had with my new PC two years ago. In case you ordered it from a site that built it for you feel free to ignore this post.

I happened to have slotted my graphics card into the wrong slot on my motherboard and GW2 REALLY disliked that. Despite everything I couldn't get it to run at an acceptable framerate doing anything. In my old PC that didn't matter at all, but on this new configuration there was actually a difference between the upper and lower slots. and I've since been told that this is pretty much the norm. Always use the upper one.

Other than that there might be a couple other things holding your system down. Most notably would be (assuming you run Windows 10 on a new computer):1. Windows 10 "Game mode". Make sure this feature is always deactivated. Makes no sense for a feature like that to have a negative impact, but as countless threads on the topic in the Internet have shown, it's god awful.

2. Make sure you don't have any additional "desktops" open. When pressing Windows + Tab you will enter a window that will show you everything you have opened at this time. In the top left corner there is a small line with "+ new desktop" . Make sure you don't have multiple of those. I'm not sure how it works, but I can't run the game smoothly whatsoever with more than my usual 2 opened, even if the additional ones are empty.

3. Check your Power/Radeon settings. For power you need to go into your system settings, or simply type it into the search bar and look for it there. Make sure it's set to performance. For the Radeon settings you simply want to look for the red icon in the bottom right, when you click that small arrow, next to the language icon on your taskbar (where your system tray is). Put that on performance setting as well.

Those specifically were issues I encountered that I could not find a direct solution for at first. I've even had people tell me "no, it's that because of that", but they were wrong. System has never run better since.

When buying a whole new PC, you need to buy one of the more expensive models to get one of the best, new processors, otherwise you'll end up with something which might as well be "out-dated" in terms of its relative performance. This is why it's good to build your own, or upgrade what you have already.

Why do companies like Intel release so many new i3s, i5s, and i7s each development iteration? Because people buy them. I got the i7 3770 in 2012 when it had just been released, and it's on par with the 7th gen i5s. Each year, 2013-2017, if I were to "upgrade" to a new i3s or new i5s, it would have been a performance DOWNGRADE. But those are the CPUs that get put in machines in stores, where people who don't know any better buy them, thinking they just got themselves one of the better devices because of its age. I recall my mother asking someone in the store about getting a new phone, and the guy told her one of the Samsung "A"s was the current top model because it was new... It was more expensive but paled in comparison to a much cheaper older generation "Galaxy."

Now considering that, and considering that AMD are always behind in performance anyway, it takes even longer for them to release something that is comparative to an older Intel. Indeed, the AMD Ryzen 2700 might be a 2018 CPU, but performance-wise, unless all cores are being utilised, it's the same as my 2012 i7 3770, which manages 40-60FPS on medium settings. It also has the disadvantage of not being an Intel, because games are designed with Intel and NVIDIA in mind.

The same goes for GPUs. The 2017 Radeon 580X falls below the 2016 NVIDIA GTX 1070.

Why is AMD cheaper? Because (1) they aren't as desirable, and have to price competitively; and (2) their new releases are competing with its competitior's OLD releases.

Just do a "Processor A vs Processor B" in Google and check out the CPUBOSS/GPUBOSS results. I'd pick up a 2-year old Intel i7 over a new AMD.

@"Impact.2780" said:When buying a whole new PC, you need to buy one of the more expensive models to get one of the best, new processors, otherwise you'll end up with something which might as well be "out-dated" in terms of its relative performance. This is why it's good to build your own, or upgrade what you have already.

Why do companies like Intel release so many new i3s, i5s, and i7s each development iteration? Because people buy them. I got the i7 3770 in 2012 when it had just been released, and it's on par with the 7th gen i5s. Each year, 2013-2017, if I were to "upgrade" to a new i3s or new i5s, it would have been a performance DOWNGRADE. But those are the CPUs that get put in machines in stores, where people who don't know any better buy them, thinking they just got themselves one of the better devices because of its age. I recall my mother asking someone in the store about getting a new phone, and the guy told her one of the Samsung "A"s was the current top model because it was new... It was more expensive but paled in comparison to a much cheaper older generation "Galaxy."

Now considering that, and considering that AMD are always behind in performance anyway, it takes even longer for them to release something that is comparative to an older Intel. Indeed, the AMD Ryzen 2700 might be a 2018 CPU, but performance-wise, unless all cores are being utilised, it's the same as my 2012 i7 3770, which manages 40-60FPS on medium settings. It also has the disadvantage of not being an Intel, because games are designed with Intel and NVIDIA in mind.

The same goes for GPUs. The 2017 Radeon 580X falls below the 2016 NVIDIA GTX 1070.

Why is AMD cheaper? Because (1) they aren't as desirable, and have to price competitively; and (2) their new releases are competing with its competitior's OLD releases.

Just do a "Processor A vs Processor B" in Google and check out the CPUBOSS/GPUBOSS results. I'd pick up a 2-year old Intel i7 over a new AMD.

That's bad buying advice, it should be research what's inside said systems you're viewing and gauge if the price is worth the performance you'd be getting. Unless budget is of no issue by all means go about it the way of just buying the more expensive models, but I'd still say research before you buy since I've seen plenty of pre-builts with mediocre specs, charging high end level prices.

Yes people buy them, but the improvement are small incremental bumps. Since there was practically no competition for intel from AMD(flopped FX processor) , they could pretty much keep their prices high and get away with small performance boosts to keep the money rolling in.

From the look of things coming from AMD (Ryzen 3000) fairly soon it looks like it's going to be Intel's turn to play catch up. It's also not like Intel have done much innovation either for their own processors if you're trying to throw some shade out on AMD's processors competing with their older stuff. More games are beginning to use more cores and threads so having the threads and cores utilized shouldn't be too much of a concern for a 2700. Even better if you use your PC for more than just older games (Productivity/streaming/etc)

RX 580 wasn't meant to compete with a 1070, it's a competitor to the 1060.

While I think your choice in a old I7 is respectable, i'd still recommend the Ryzen platform, due to having more cores, more threads, similar performance, and a upgrade path. Though if the aim is only GW2 and to squeeze as much FPS as you can, well go with the older I7 if you feel you must. O-b

Hey there!The issue with your new computer is the single thread performance of your CPU. Guild Wars 2 relies heavily on one of your threads, and -individually- your CPU cores aren't fast enough. If I recall Ryzen CPUs can get boosted speeds if you only have 4 of their cores active (game mode?) so look for a game mode setting that will increase the speed of your cores.

Your GPU can easily handle the highest settings in this game, so increase all of the settings to their maximum with the following exceptions:Render Sampling: keep on NativeAnti-aliasing: keep on NoneCharacter Model Limit: keep on lowCharacter Model Quality: can set to High or Medium, don't have to keep it on lowAll other settings can be set to their maximum values

If you are having issues with even lower fps than 30, lower Shadow quality. But you should be fine with the 580.

tl;dr you are having low fps due to your CPU not having fast enough cores, it has many cores, but they aren't fast enough for Guild Wars 2. The settings that do not affect the main thread can be increased to their maximum without a performance penalty.

@Impact.2780 said:This is why it's good to build your own, or upgrade what you have already.

You cannot upgrade Intel systems, which is another reason why choosing Intel is a terrible choice at this point in time. Newer gen I3/I5/I7 CPUs require newer gen motherboards to work and won't work with previous models. This makes upgrading not an option. AMD motherboards on the other hand, can support current, and future Ryzen processors making them the clear choice for upgrading (and future proof).

The RX 580 is a $199 USD (4 GB) or $229 USD (8 GB) MSRP graphics card. The GTX 1070 is a $379 MSRP graphics card, not really comparable. The GTX 1060 is a $299 MSRP graphics card, which is still more expensive than the RX 580 and the RX 580 is 2% to 3% faster than the GTX 1060 on average. And less expensive.

@"maddoctor.2738" said:

Anti-aliasing: keep on None

Your advice is solid, but this setting should not be a problem for him as its GPU-bound and the RX580 is more than enough.(I use one, myself)

I'm willing to bet his GPU clocks aren't scaling correctly. I had a huge issue with my Core and Memory clocks sticking in their "idle state" of 150/300 while the game was running. AMD's "WattMan" doesn't do a good job controlling frequencies and power limits in my opinion.

I disabled all wattman Overclocking settings and use MSI Afterburner+Rivatuner for overclocking and On Screen Display.

Works flawlessly.

Recently I had a friend with a similar situation, high end system and regardless of all possible solutions the performance kept low. It turns out that the mouse's high Polling Rate (not to be confused with DPI) was affecting the frame rate when set too high, for some reason bringing the game performance to a crawl.

Here's a relevant reddit thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/4z0en8/weird_fps_drops_when_moving_the_mouse_in_gw2/

It might be worth checking into it before trying out other things.

@Lucentfir.7430 said:

@"Impact.2780" said:When buying a whole new PC, you need to buy one of the more expensive models to get one of the best, new processors, otherwise you'll end up with something which might as well be "out-dated" in terms of its relative performance. This is why it's good to build your own, or upgrade what you have already.

That's bad buying advice, it should be research what's inside said systems you're viewing and gauge if the price is worth the performance you'd be getting. Unless budget is of no issue by all means go about it the way of just buying the more expensive models, but I'd still say research before you buy since I've seen plenty of pre-builts with mediocre specs, charging high end level prices.

Yes people buy them, but the improvement are small incremental bumps. Since there was practically no competition for intel from AMD(flopped FX processor) , they could pretty much keep their prices high and get away with small performance boosts to keep the money rolling in.

That's... literally what I just said, reworded.

• WHEN buying a NEW pc, you need to buy one of the more expensive models to get one of the best, NEW processors. This is a statement of fact. It is not advice to buy new or to build new or to build cheap, and you agree with it when referring to "pre-built mediocre specs."
  • Research? Yes.. What do you think comparison sites and reviews thereon are used for?
  • People buying new CPUs in PCs in store not knowing any better IS me talking about "Pre-built mediocre specs."

Thanks for the unnecessary quote.

@maddoctor.2738 said:

@Impact.2780 said:This is why it's good to build your own, or upgrade what you have already.

You cannot upgrade Intel systems, which is another reason why choosing Intel is a terrible choice at this point in time. Newer gen I3/I5/I7 CPUs require newer gen motherboards to work and won't work with previous models. This makes upgrading not an option. AMD motherboards on the other hand, can support current, and future Ryzen processors making them the clear choice for upgrading (and future proof).

The RX 580 is a $199 USD (4 GB) or $229 USD (8 GB) MSRP graphics card. The GTX 1070 is a $379 MSRP graphics card, not really comparable. The GTX 1060 is a $299 MSRP graphics card, which is still more expensive than the RX 580 and the RX 580 is 2% to 3% faster than the GTX 1060 on average. And less expensive.

You said can't, then explained how you can. Hmm.

New connectors for the new CPUs is part of what makes Intel's upgrades more significant. They are not hindered by backward-compatibility - making what is new, fit with what is old. You also completely skip over the point that if you get a better CPU, it'll be longer before you need to think about upgrading it. By the time you need to, you'd be thinking about getting a new computer or updating your build, anyway. Furthermore, the CPU is not the only item that the board must be compatible with.

@Impact.2780 said:You said can't, then explained how you can. Hmm.If you buy a new motherboard to support a new cpu, that's not an upgrade anymore. That's like getting a new computer. Especially considering:Furthermore, the CPU is not the only item that the board must be compatible with.Which makes the requirement to upgrade a board to get a new CPU even worse.

Watch Computex and E3 this year, you'll see that Intel is mostly dead :)

Turn off game bar and dvr on windows 10. (this will give you alot of fps back. ALOT)Make sure your card is running 16x (i'll be damned if it's seated in the wrong slot straight from the shop)Check your bios version for issues in the past.Ignore the amd vs intel thing. While there is truth in it, your processor should still be able to run this game competently.

@maddoctor.2738 said:

@"Impact.2780" said:This is why it's good to build your own, or upgrade what you have already.

I would like to point out that a business saying "we promise to do this" is not the same thing as doing it. AMD has already stated it will no longer be possible to keep their promise, and even then, it wasn't indefinite, their goal was keeping support until 2020. The next generation of Ryzen will not work on all older motherboards, and many of the vendors will not support older Ryzen generations. This means one of two things:-if you're upgrading to the new Ryzen, you may very well need a new motherboard.-if your motherboard fails on you with a first gen Ryzen, you may very well be forced into buying a new CPU and a new motherboard if you aren't able to find an earlier generation board

Not only are these issues that AMD had to talk about recently, but it gets further complicated as each different vendor is doing their own thing, there's no standard set on vendors by AMD.

Also, people who go low end cpus, generally got low end motherboards, if they wanted a higher end cpu, they would likely have to get a new motherboard; and, people who get mid-high range CPUs don't have to replace their CPUs for a few years, and when they do, there's generally been improvements to Memory, Storage, PCIE, etc, all which would require a new motherboard to take advantage of anyways, and even with AMD's promise, you would still need a new motherboard as they only planned for a few years of support.

In the case of a person who replaces their CPU pretty often, I don't think needing to save money on a motherboard matters to them, mid range motherboards don't make much of the cost of a mid range (or high range) desktop, it's generally the CPU and GPU that take up most of the cost of a desktop, as well as RAM during some years.

At the end of the day, AMD is a business, no different than Intel. They charge quite a bit for some of their GPUs like Nvidia does when they can, and they'll do the same for CPUs, it's just Intel at the moment was so far high in price due to AMD's irrelevance for so long. AMD is also known for breaking their promises like everyone else, so I'm unsure how it helps anyone to blindly support AMD, as they could very well be the same as Intel/Nvidia (and they were before).

bQQpdIu.jpg

I created a screenshot at your location as well.

i5 8500, RX 590, 16 GB DDR4 3200 Ram @ 1080p

Max Details @ 60+ fps when there is no zergfighting going on (like on your screen too) - This is how your performance should look like on your PC. It has nothing to do with AMD and Intel. There is some configuration issue on your end.

AMDs Ryzen 2000 IPC performance is a few percent behind Intels Coffee Lake (i5/i7/i9 9000) performance. We are talking about a handful of fps, but not about 34 fps at low details. Stating that this happens because of an AMD CPU is bull shit.