New Ranger elite specialization?

Evil.1580

I remember that some players were concerned about when are we going to get new elite specializations because after LS4 comes LS5 and we all know that this content is tied with expansions. However, ANET said that they will try to add specializations in the LS.

My concern is that the Ranger as a profession can find top spot only in raids and as a healer (support role) with its druid elite specialization. We can't offer good sustain dps and raiders prefer to take something more reliable but it is kinda acceptable because at least we can find a spot as a support.

However, WvW is a completely different story. The core and most fun element in WvW is the fight - big squad fights. The problem is no one wants a ranger in his well organized squad. Some players are just kicked, others (until the squad is full) are put in the "waiting" groups which are without firebrands or scourges - just a bunch of professions that the commander can quickly replace once something better appears and wants to join the squad. Roaming is the only spot a ranger can take and he is not even the best option here. Not to mention that roaming is not what it was...

What about PvP? DPS Soulbeast is in no way a stable reliable meta build to run in the way that FBs, Necros, Heralds, Spellbreakers, Holos, Scrappers are. DPS Soulbeast is a niche thing now, that works great in some situations but is bad in others, just like Thieves, Mesmers and Eles. It works in some low tiers but no way it is viable in higher tiers or organized groups - ranger just doesn't have place there. I can say that the biggest problem is within the design of the class in general, its weapon skills mainly. Everything the Ranger does is super telegraphed, and thus it becomes easy for veteran players to spot a burst, and they know exactly how to react. A DPS Soulbeast using Sic Em as example, has to land all its obvious high damage stuff within 10s to be able to land those kills. Unfortunately for the Soulbeast, a veteran player is clearly going to spot Rapid Fire, Maul and WI. This stuff isn't as easy to land as some people seem to believe it is. Then when those skills are on CD, including Sic Em, the Ranger has no sustained damage output, so it has to run and kite to survive and potentially win.

And this is the problem. I see several holes which should be filled. Ranger should have its spot in all game mods and should be chosen as a matter of playstyle, not as a matter of viability. In order to do this ANET should make a new elite specialization which fills these holes. We need sustain dps, good enough for raids. We deserve our place in WvW squads and we certainly deserve better PvP place.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@"bOTEB.1573" said:I remember that some players were concerned about when are we going to get new elite specializations because after LS4 comes LS5 and we all know that this content is tied with expansions. However, ANET said that they will try to add specializations in the LS.

when? or are you refering to xpac content in LW?

@derd.6413 said:

@"bOTEB.1573" said:I remember that some players were concerned about when are we going to get new elite specializations because after LS4 comes LS5 and we all know that this content is tied with expansions. However, ANET said that they will try to add specializations in the LS.

Yes, xpac content in LW. Because I think the elite specializations are xpac content. But ANET mentioned they can try to introduce such content in the LW.

Expect a summoner all party cheesing raids xd whenever Anet add it will be strong, also I remember Anet stating as well they would not add new elite specs for a while if I recall well or at least in a expac. maybe they will try to release new elites 1 by 1 over time, i would not mind if the result is a more refine and balanced result.

@"bOTEB.1573" said:

Yes, xpac content in LW. Because I think the elite specializations are xpac content. But ANET mentioned they can try to introduce such content in the LW.

i find it doubtful especs are part of the xpac in LW content

@"bOTEB.1573" said:

Well another living world season means a year, if not year and a half more before an expansion. Assuming they are working on the expansion and have been since the begining of season 4 to make it larger and more ... full? I'd say they wouldn't release E-specs this living world; If they did it would beg the question as to why one would buy the expansion?

1. Mounts? We got those in LW, they are pretty much living world content now.
  2. Raids? On their own release cycle. As are fractals.3.They said no more guild stuff, unless they changed their mind on that.

So unless they have some big idea to help sell the next expansion, something larger than Elite specs then I doubt we will see them In living world. Mainly because it takes away from their selling point for the expansion itself.

It doesn't need a new elite spec to adress those problems. Both SB and druid have potential to give ranger multiple meta roles across all gamemodes. They just need to do the right changes.

To druid especially if they want it to have a place in pvp/wvw. Rework staff, every skill except Ancestral Grace and Sublime Conversion for all I care (buff the size of the latter), to make it wvw zerg worthy. Rework Celestial Shadow to grant aoe stability when entering avatar. Etc etc etc. It really only needs to keep GotL to still function in the raid role Anet has dumbed it down to, given spirits and such stay as they are.

Soulbeast had zerg potential with its shared stances and a mechanic that changes the pet to something that is actually usable in zergs, but it lacks a good weapon in the scourge/hammer rev meta. Doesn't help that Anet still thinks that 50 % shared stance duration is fine. However, giving it better sustained dps for pve shouldn't be that hard. Dagger and the sword autos could be buffed even further, for starters. A rework to the opening strike mechanic in marksmanship could easily incorporate a damage modifier against foes with vulnerability among the minors, making it so it wouldn't run an entire traitline with useless minor traits. Small buffs that keeps it on toes with others.

@Thornwolf.9721 said:

@"bOTEB.1573" said:

Well another living world season means a year, if not year and a half more before an expansion. Assuming they are working on the expansion and have been since the begining of season 4 to make it larger and more ... full? I'd say they wouldn't release E-specs this living world; If they did it would beg the question as to why one would buy the expansion?
  2. Raids? On their own release cycle. As are fractals.3.They said no more guild stuff, unless they changed their mind on that.

So unless they have some big idea to help sell the next expansion, something larger than Elite specs then I doubt we will see them In living world. Mainly because it takes away from their selling point for the expansion itself.

Is it possible to have 2 elite specializations - 1 in LW5 and 1 in the possible 3rd expansion?

@"bOTEB.1573" said:

@"bOTEB.1573" said:

Is it possible to have 2 elite specializations - 1 in LW5 and 1 in the possible 3rd expansion?

given that espec get released in pacs of 9 unless anet wants especially angry forums/reddit complaining about class favoritism. very unlikely

@BadSanta.6527 said:can ihave the reffreance for arenant will try to add E spec in living world ?

they never said they would, they only said the would try to bring expansion content during living world as well so that living world had more weight. (Mounts seem to be that answer.) I doubt HIGHLY that A-net would ever bring E-specs into the living world unlesss they had a suitable selling point for the expansions which they very well might, We don't know as we have never had two living world seasons between expansions. And this next expansion they are undoubtedly working on is getting a ton of development time when compared to HoT and PoF.

@Thornwolf.9721 said:

@BadSanta.6527 said:can ihave the reffreance for arenant will try to add E spec in living world ?

they never said they would, they only said the would try to bring expansion content during living world as well so that living world had more weight. (Mounts seem to be that answer.) I doubt HIGHLY that A-net would ever bring E-specs into the living world unlesss they had a suitable selling point for the expansions which they very well might, We don't know as we have never had two living world seasons between expansions. And this next expansion they are undoubtedly working on is getting a ton of development time when compared to HoT and PoF.

And next expansion will (eventually) come after LS5, which is after 2 years. If ANET don't want to introduce them in the LW we will wait a lot.

@"bOTEB.1573" said:

And next expansion will (eventually) come after LS5, which is after 2 years. If ANET don't want to introduce them in the LW we will wait a lot.

I bet on new opportunities to gain new weapon skills like weapon proficiencies that change current weapon skills on available weapons. And of course more reworks.I think Anets really tries to bring all core specs up to date before introducing new e-specs.

I don't think they would add a shapeshifter class as Norns are technically shapeshifters and soulbeast is almost like shapeshifting in a way. I think the recent changes to shouts is perhaps a clue to the next spec; my take is that the current elites are aimed at making 1 aspect strong with a trade off for the other; druid gets good support/heal ability at 20% pet attribute tradeoff, soulbeast gets strong attributes, beast abilities/ condi dmg etc at the expense of a pet. Both of these target pets as the tradeoff, so I think the next elite will perhaps focus on strengthening the pet and using shouts as the new utilities, perhaps having two pets at once, or like some previously said, summoning much stronger beasts perhaps? No idea what weapons we'd get, but i'm excited to see what happens

Had the idea of a Warden E-spec. This is just an idea "skeleton" if you will, not a complete breakdown.The main idea is that you use your pet as a far more refined, magical multipurpose instrument and not just as a dumb AI.Druid - low power, high support - lets you heal and support your team.Soulbeast - high power, low support - lets you become a powerhouse with some team supporting utility.Warden - high control, medium support - lets you control the battlefield, does fine on it's own, but better with team.Weapons - either a ranged spear weapon (javelin) with some melee skills perhaps or dual scepters.Mechanic - channel Melandru infused mists through your pet and your shared bond to unlock Manifest abilities.Visual effect - Similar to Goku going sayan mode, but just green for the duration.F5 - for 10 (cd of 15s) seconds your pet sheds it's physical form to become a powerful spirit essence for you to mold as you please. Gain new F1 to F4 abilities. Spirit essences abilities are linked to pet archetype similar to soulbeast. Beast mastery bonuses are applied to Spirit essence, F1 is considered a Beast ability and will trigger those traits. Wilting Strike gets 6s cooldown to prevent abusing the trait.F1 is basically the same for all pet type Spirit essence - manifest your pet at your target making them attack it (and nearby foes, up to 5 targets within a small range) for a short duration (like 3s) with quickness, at the end of the duration (or if canceled prematurely) the spirit manifestation explodes granting a "x" boon to nearby allies and "x" condition to enemies.F2 - archetype dependent - Manifest the spirit essence as an enlarged and enraged spirit charging to your targeted location, knocking back foes on it's path and applying cripple + condition.

• Deadly and Ferocious - Ferocious archetype apply 5 vuln stacks and have higher base damage, Deadly archetype applies 3 stacks of torment, and poison. Upon reaching the target destination enraged spirit leaves with a shout that damages and applies conditions to foes (vuln and bleed, poison) , boons to allies (fury and might respectively).
  • Supportive - charges and blinds, leaves with a shout that heals allies and applies regen.
  • Versatile - charges and chills, leaves with a shout that fears and applies resistance.
  • Defensive - charges and immobilizes, leaves with a shout that clears condis and grants protection.
  • Stout - charges and slows, leaves with a shout that taunts and applies stability.F3 - archetype dependent - Manifest a Fury at the target location that fires on your targeted foe alongside you for a period of time. Pulses boons, can be re-activated to swap places with it and stunbreak (short range of 900, it dies after 3s of swapping). Boon type, conditions applied and power coefficient depends on the pet archetype.F4 - dunno yet.

That's just my idea, anyway. Dunno about the utility skills or weapon skills.

@""Deax.1572"I had a sniliar idea. But with a pure pet less ranger. You get a totem instead that you can bind and unbind to yourself (which accounts s swap) and mainly works similarly to ventaris tablet.Ofc you could also have the idea of a pet that transforms into a totem that you can command and support allies with it that works to.

Perhaps a spec which takes away all the pets outside of a few and adds exclusive pets it and only it can run with. Such as Hydra, Wargs, Stoneheads(Chargy T-rex), The rollerlizards(The big crocodile thing from hot) And various other untameable beasts we can't have atm. Then we push them to become "Apex" mode which makes them take on the alpha/Broodmother status and gives us the unused models of those creatures. Drakes, Smokescale, Wyverns, Sharks and various others have these apex variants as well due hydra's and the like. Making it so we can upgrade existing pets while getting a ton of new ones (Which would be old content revamped, thus could save them some money in the design would be cool) Especially since alot of us were sad when we didn't get hydra or Land-shark within PoF. They technically could even let is tame a skyscale now as they are native to tyria because of Gorrik and our actions; So its not unheard of that they might be tameable as well for this spec. (The combat animations are there due to aurene).

1. I like the name Warden, So we could use that here.
  2. Theme is based around beasts and offensive nature magic; Via Scepter/shield For Hard CC and bleeds which send the pet into a frenzy and make it deal more damage.
  3. Beasts loose their current skills which then become Shouts based on the beast you have equipped; Meaning you have full control of when and where they use their skills.
  4. Instead beasts gain the ability to summon a pack of their species; Whom have weaker variants of their attacks which they use at will, this paired with tons of tools for them to keep themselves alive makes them a terror on the battlefield.
  5. You don't do as much damage, the pet is the one who does that work and you simply focus on CCing and maintaining pressure to keep the opponent busy so your beast can take em down.
  6. Elite skill could be something along the lines of summoning will-o-wisps as seen in "War Eternal" Who swarm and cc enemies, while also doing decent damage and helping the pet. Could work totems in as your F2-F5 skills which then come down and pulse with beneficial effects for the party/pet/players and offer a ton of new ways to play.
  7. Id like this to be and feel like a tanky synergy between companions who bring alot to a party; While filling roles and basically being a strong addition with tons of new things to call its own. I as well would want it to stand against soul-beast and highly involve the pet where as the other two literally just have it either be there and be eh, or just remove it entirely.

@InsaneQR.7412I had the idea to put a totem as an elite. Manifest a large AoE Totem of Hydra. Enemies within the totems AoE periodically take damage and have soft-cc condition applied to them vuln 8s -> cripple 3s -> chill 2s -> immob 1s -> fear 0.5s and allies within range get healed for a small amount for every enemy damaged by the totem. Course you could further enhance totems and manifest abilities with traits.

@Deax.1572 said:@InsaneQR.7412I had the idea to put a totem as an elite. Manifest a large AoE Totem of Hydra. Enemies within the totems AoE periodically take damage and have soft-cc condition applied to them vuln 8s -> cripple 3s -> chill 2s -> immob 1s -> fear 0.5s and allies within range get healed for a small amount for every enemy damaged by the totem. Course you could further enhance totems and manifest abilities with traits.

I think as a class mechanic it is way more satisfying to use and very versatile.You could buff with supportive archetype pets, apply barrier with stout ones or pulse dmg with ferocious ones etc.

And you would somewhat gain access to your pets behaviour.

The shaman elite could be a really good idea yeah. But they need to address some traitline that give movement speed for pets and other buff to pet who would be pointless if we change the pet for something else . Else it will be a disaster like signet of renewal and a lot of trait who were not working at all for the soulbeast , i think nobody want a half working spec...

IMO i think we shall stop rejecting the pet in the ranger aspect , they gave us a way to play nearly petless ranger with soulbeast and it shall be the only spec who destroy a lot of synergy between a lot of our traitline ( Pet swap during beastmode shall be a thing ).

I personnally think they shall center this E-spec on the pet rather than discard it. And they need to give us a new true melee weap (because the soulbeast dagger is a joke and please no riffle...we have the longbow for that...)

We need the god dam Bunny Thumper Spec ! CC ,Area of effect , Buff for party. Yes all what the ranger need is in this spec and it would be awesome for WvW , SPvP and for Pve it could have a DPS + CC variant !

shaman with scepter. Ranged AoE damage and buffs, uses totems like ones seen from grawl (destructible immobile objects) . Totems are immune to conditions and very hard to destroy. Totems can be retrieved for very reduced CD or if destroyed gets bigger CD. AoE from totems are very big (2000 units) and impact up to 10 allies\foes.

Totems apply strong damage reduction, strong ticking healing with condition cleanses, enemy debbufing, and allies buffing while scepter skills are focused in Ranged AoE damage.Pets and Shaman benefit from the totem AoE, gaining additional powerful effects when affected by those areas. A Shaman can be a melee bruiser or a ranged bomb depending on the totems he has activated.

@"Gabrya.6297" said:The shaman elite could be a really good idea yeah. But they need to address some traitline that give movement speed for pets and other buff to pet who would be pointless if we change the pet for something else . Else it will be a disaster like signet of renewal and a lot of trait who were not working at all for the soulbeast , i think nobody want a half working spec...

IMO i think we shall stop rejecting the pet in the ranger aspect , they gave us a way to play nearly petless ranger with soulbeast and it shall be the only spec who destroy a lot of synergy between a lot of our traitline ( Pet swap during beastmode shall be a thing ).

I personnally think they shall center this E-spec on the pet rather than discard it. And they need to give us a new true melee weap (because the soulbeast dagger is a joke and please no riffle...we have the longbow for that...)

We need the god dam Bunny Thumper Spec ! CC ,Area of effect , Buff for party. Yes all what the ranger need is in this spec and it would be awesome for WvW , SPvP and for Pve it could have a DPS + CC variant !

petless ranger was a good idea, how was executed is terrible and thats the only reason why soulbeast "fail" the concept and the only viability ranger has is with meme builds