Meta obsession

Success is dependent on both the Player and the Build. A bad player won't be saved by a meta build. A good player who doesn't know how to play a particular class, will still suck with a meta build. A good player with a non-meta build that they know inside-out because they've played 10000 hours on it will destroy regardless of the meta.

Its interesting who it is that complains about non-meta. Myself having played all of last season on a non-meta build (Sage Hybrid FB), when I'm in matches with other P3's there are never any comments or complaints, because players there understand that skill > build. But if it's quiet and I'm getting matched with G3s/P1s, that's when all the whining starts to happen. Apparently the lower you go, the more people worship build > skill.

Unless you're part of an organised team going in to mAT final, the "meta" is not relevant to you. Play what you're best on. If you're "stuck" in Gold, I can 100% guarantee that its not "the meta" or your build that is holding you back.

It is also true that the meta changes over time, mostly in response to RNG balance patches. When PoF landed, NOBODY was playing soulbeast, nobody had figured out boon stacking. Then scourge and SpB took some nerfs, somebody figured out you could juggle infinite boons and that axe was a thing, and bam, 2018 boonbeasts everywhere. And now in 2019 they're kinda gone again. To suggest that the meta is "static" and that new builds don't come in to play, is just absurd. Mirage and Chrono have been in and out over the last 18 months, and even then the optimal build shifted several times. Spellbreaker has been in since PoF, but the optimal build has shifted from bunker to CC/Frenzy. Scrapper came out of nowhere. Heralds were pretty rare when there were mirages everywhere. Core-Guard straight up been wiped out.

If we were playing a game where literally nothing had changed in the last 7 years, then yeah, you could probably say by now that all the optimal stuff had been found. But we're not. Stuff is changing around us, and that will bring new builds forward.

All of that said....... condi thief is a joke.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Ragnar.4257 said:

All of that said....... condi thief is a joke.

I agreed with you up until here. Condi Thief is not a joke. Its Meme. It is Meme. Very very dank Meme so dank there is a very good chance it will work. :P

Also the fact that Meta changes has not been questioned here. The problem is ppl believing that playing off meta is stupid. Even you have said Condi Thief is a joke which meams you dont find it effective even tho you said Meta changes :P

@Ragnar.4257 said:Success is dependent on both the Player and the Build. A bad player won't be saved by a meta build. A good player who doesn't know how to play a particular class, will still suck with a meta build. A good player with a non-meta build that they know inside-out because they've played 10000 hours on it will destroy regardless of the meta.

Hmm... This isn't necessarily the case, based on personal experience. For instance say you've been playing a Projectile build for long time and then the meta shifts to having every class carry projectile blocking skills, in team fights you'd be the least effective player because your main source of damage is nullified. So it wouldn't make sense for you to keep playing that build in that meta because if you are less effective in the fights that matter most, team fights.