GS for thieves next elite

alejandro.2093

@"Oldgrimm.8521" said:the assassin theme, name and archetype was already given to the other class, (revenant)

and thief is not a spiritual successor of gw1's assassin.

so any weapon goes, but my vote goes to GS for thieves, just to be flasshy with Exordium

Thief is confirmed rework if assassin. It is a literal successor to assassin.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Thief#Trivia

I'd love to see some sort of Bandit or Mercenary spec using a greatsword, and have it focus on giving the Thief a bit more staying power. Maybe by mixing in some blocks.In the theme of giving the Thief more staying power, I'd also like to see it focus on managing Initiative consistently with ways to restore it, instead of just blowing it on burst then waiting it out.

@"Kageseigi.2150" said:The only reason I'd really care about having a greatsword is to have access to Belinda's Greatsword skin

Come on, Anet... why not give the Thief a katana/ninjato skin? Even the kama skin you gave us is UPSIDE-DOWN!!!

Honestly, who is making these decisions??? They aren't difficult.

Not only that but you use Kama like you would an axe more than a dagger anyway. =/

@"AgentSmith.5169" said:Wouldn't mind a weapon that could contribute toward a more brawler spec - able to take more damage, not relying on dodges. Like the idea of a mace.

I'd want an e-spec that change thief's stealth into a shadow form in which he is not invisible yet retain the effect of the "while in stealth" traits. With the 33% damage reduction while in stealth from shadow art, I believe that it would be a foundation solid enough for a brawler, if you add a silly trait that grant vitality in the e-spec traitline this might even be "perfect". (well the trade off would be the loss of the stealth attacks)

• 3 weeks later...

I still like the idea of shield. Give it parry skills like on mesmer sword offhand (block causes X effect) for a mix of sustain and offence, give it traits so we can take more of a beating but make it still active play and make it feel like you're fighting like Captain America from the marvel movies. Job done.

@Jugglemonkey.8741 said:I still like the idea of shield. Give it parry skills like on mesmer sword offhand (block causes X effect) for a mix of sustain and offence, give it traits so we can take more of a beating but make it still active play and make it feel like you're fighting like Captain America from the marvel movies. Job done.Doesn't have to be shield for that. Like the example you gave, we could get that on offhand sword which I feel is a better thematic fit. Plus, even if it brings up fond memories of the Marvel Heroes arpg, an acrobatic melee fighter would have too much overlap with Daredevil.

and zero thief

Anything that wields shadow magic is a thief.

except your "shadow" magic has more in common with necro's dark magic then actual shadow magic and no saying it's shadow magic doesn't make it shadow magic.

@hatsamu.4327 said:

@Jugglemonkey.8741 said:I still like the idea of shield. Give it parry skills like on mesmer sword offhand (block causes X effect) for a mix of sustain and offence, give it traits so we can take more of a beating but make it still active play and make it feel like you're fighting like Captain America from the marvel movies. Job done.Doesn't have to be shield for that. Like the example you gave, we could get that on offhand sword which I feel is a better thematic fit. Plus, even if it brings up fond memories of the Marvel Heroes arpg, an acrobatic melee fighter would have too much overlap with Daredevil.

That last point about daredevil is a good one. I guess what I'm thinking of is pretty much what daredevil should be, instead of whatever it currently is. I kinda dislike the idea of a shadow mage in general, I tend to play the less magic inclined classes (thief warrior engi), but I suppose there's not many other directions they can go without rehashing something thief already has at this point.

I have mixed thoughts about GS for the next thief elite spec weapon. On one hand, it would be visually awesome. On the other hand, thief could really use another one-handed weapon to permit more dual-wield skills.

I would personally be happy with GS or off-hand sword. I don't want to see a magic-themed weapon, like scepter or focus.

But what role does thief need for the next elite spec? We have an offensive, mobile melee brawler (in theory) in Daredevil, and single-target ranged damage in Deadeye. I don't think Thief needs another high-damage melee elite. I can think of the following possibilities:

• healing / support (I don't prefer this idea for thief, but it is an option)
  • defense/CC, like Reaper or Scrapper (this is my preference, and I think GS or off-hand sword could fit fine here. OH sword or GS could have a weapon skill that consumes initiative to block attacks, for example)
  • condition damage (I don't really think thief would need this if the existing condi weapon sets were fixed: D/D, P/D, shortbow)

If we want GS for the next elite, what role should it play? How should it be differentiated from Daredevil?