Griffon dives at 115km/h

Yes, I'm not joking, we actually calculated this. Lemme tell you the story:So, I climbed "the titan tree" in bitterfrost frontier. It turned out to be flat on top, so I could stand and tp my party. Then, I jumped. In freefall, I was falling (not for 30 minutes) for 43 seconds. Later, we calculated that average asura falls at 17m/s, so that tree turned out to be 730m tall...Yeah, way to go sequoias! :DThen, I used the griffon, and it's 2nd stage dive took more or less half that time, so, the griffon truly dives at 115km/h. So....How was your day? :DAnyone else ever did science in gw2? :D

the asura TIED/RIDING with/on the diving griffon will also have the griffon's acceleration.

so beware of that asura on a griffon. coz he's small and he got speed. with a griffon, he's heavy too.

and what is the griffon? mixture of a feline and an ave. like charr and tengu. or in Chinese and Western zodiac, the rooster and Leo.

Very nice!

For reference, that is much slower than a peregrine falcon, which has an average dive speed of 320 km/h, with the fastest recorded being 389 km/h.

Since the griffon is based on a barn owl, I tried to find what their diving speed is, but alas, the internet doesn't want to provide one. Presumably it's not fast enough to be notable.

@"Betaraptor.4075" said:Yes, I'm not joking, we actually calculated this. Lemme tell you the story:So, I climbed "the titan tree" in bitterfrost frontier. It turned out to be flat on top, so I could stand and tp my party. Then, I jumped. In freefall, I was falling (not for 30 minutes) for 43 seconds. Later, we calculated that average asura falls at 17m/s, so that tree turned out to be 730m tall...Yeah, way to go sequoias! :DThen, I used the griffon, and it's 2nd stage dive took more or less half that time, so, the griffon truly dives at 115km/h. So....How was your day? :DAnyone else ever did science in gw2? :D

Interesting.If I was doing it I would have set the parameters of the experiment at assuming fall speed in game = to average terminal velocity of a skydiver as it's the same speed mid fall as it is at the start of the fall.

"In stable, belly-to-earth position, terminal velocity is about 200 km/h (120 mph). Stable freefall head down position has a terminal speed of 240–290 km/h (around 150–180 mph). Further minimization of drag by streamlining the body allows for speeds in the vicinity of 480 km/h (300 mph)." -Skydiver on Wiki

Time character free fall from jump height to earth (splat, not open glider). Then see if Griffon does it faster and by how much, then calculate speed of Griffon based on the percentage difference between character and Griffon dive. (Edit: this would be to get an estimate of irl equivalence.)

P.s. If you try these parameters for a second experiment and the result speed calculation is about the same I'd be interested to know.

@"Betaraptor.4075" said:Yes, I'm not joking, we actually calculated this. Lemme tell you the story:So, I climbed "the titan tree" in bitterfrost frontier. It turned out to be flat on top, so I could stand and tp my party. Then, I jumped. In freefall, I was falling (not for 30 minutes) for 43 seconds. Later, we calculated that average asura falls at 17m/s, so that tree turned out to be 730m tall...Yeah, way to go sequoias! :DThen, I used the griffon, and it's 2nd stage dive took more or less half that time, so, the griffon truly dives at 115km/h. So....How was your day? :DAnyone else ever did science in gw2? :D

How did you determine that the asura fell at 17 meters per second? Did you go by in game units? Or did you use know pixel measurements?

ODhgy.jpg

Has there even been confirmation that distance units in game uses imperial or metric units?

@MrPhantasia.5924 said:

How did you determine that the asura fell at 17 meters per second? Did you go by in game units? Or did you use know pixel measurements?

ODhgy.jpg

Has there even been confirmation that distance units in game uses imperial or metric units?

This put a smile on my face. Not sure why, but it did.

When you dodge off a platform and do not use any arrow-keys to change falling directions, you travel with 3x falling speed.If you own a glider, it is possible to open the glider slightly before you touch the ground, without starting the opening animation. It is quite difficult to execute, but looks absolutely ridiculous. I call these halo-jumps ^^.

Bond of Faith. If you are on your mount, use the engage, you have a short time-window to still use Bond of Faith although the skill-bar already vanished. It is quite narrow, but allows you to use the engage of e. g. the Raptor, pull mobs together, leap away from the crowd and start attacking from distance. Also fun to use when you are on jackal and enter a bounty-fight or any other larger bossfight. Works with all engages, have not tested with Skyscale so far :S.

@MrPhantasia.5924 said:

ODhgy.jpg

Is it an optical illusion, or does having a taller human character really make your sleeves puffier?

@Khisanth.2948 said:

@"mauried.5608" said:That assumes that the atmosphere of Tyria is identical in composition to the atmosphere of Earth.And the gravitational constant is the same.

I agree, but as I said "estimate", not fact. :)

Why estimate when exact values can already be obtained?

Why not? You got something against people finding new ways to do stuff for fun? Doesn't even need to be accurate if you're just looking for something to do. XD