Damage is just way too high

@JTGuevara.9018 said:OP, you are right. Damage is absurdly high. You can thank post-HoT powercreep for that. Honestly, it's the WORST thing that's happened to pvp. It used to be a lot more enjoyable in the pre-HoT days. Damage and sustain wasn't so stupid like it is today. Today it's just spam, spam, spam, it's ridiculous.

Honestly, how can people enjoy this? When I can get on my Berserker and two-shot almost an entire team with Arc Divider...there's a problem! Sorry, but this ain't 'fun'. I hate it. Just nerf everything to the ground and make this playable so actual SKILL can take place.

Pretty much.

If people want an idea of what it used to be like, get some friends together and have everyone fight each other with core-spec-only builds. It's crazy how much of a difference there is. Yes, you can still make a burst build, but it doesn't burst so hard as to instantly delete anything around it, or if it can, it is very very very fragile compared to current meta builds. Yes, you can make a bunker, but it takes skill and effort to hold out on a point. You need to rely on a lot of knockbacks, interrupts, and timely use of critical long-cooldown defenses.

.. then try the same thing but with HoT and PoF builds.

The difference will be striking and obvious.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know, man. I started playing PvP for the first time this season and at first I used to get instantly killed but you get used to it and learn how to avoid being killed fast and with time you learn how to kill fast. Personally, I don't have a problem with oneshots but I hate bunkers. It's more fun to get oneshot'd than to watch your team 3v1 a scrapper close for the whole game.

@"Edge.8724" said:I just played a few PvP matches after a long time in PvE and I'm not sure what to think. Once we are in a fight, it ends in like what, 1 or 2 seconds? Simply put, everyone deals too much damage.

There is no place to react, it's just a race of who will burst who the fastest way possible.

Now I know there are some "bunker" builds too but these are the other extreme and isn't healthy neither. (I rarely see those though...)

Why not beeing in the middle? I mean some reasonable fight duration. I can't see how this can be fun to always be "insta killed" without having any time to react.

5yiO54U.png

@ArthurDent.9538 said:It's got a 2.8 power modifier against burning foes which is very strong for a 3/4 second cast. Even 1.75 to non burning is the same as ranger maul (no sic 'em though). Then there is quantum strike with an absurd 3.9 modifier on a 3/4 sec cast and no prerequisite for the damage, this would be heavily nerfed on any other class. The thing is though, ele baseline defenses are just way too garbage so they all run around with an extremely defensive trait setups and a healing amulet thinking their damage is tash when it would be top tier if they wouldn't get smooshed so easily when they actually build for DPS. The low hp classes need base hp brought up to 14k as 11k is way too susceptible to spike, ele needs larger base heals with lower scaling to be able to move away from healing power amulets viably. Then reducing Weaver attunement cd by 1 sec would allow faster transitions between offense and defense.

Is that a fair comparison though?

Fire Grab - Damage foes in a cone in front of you. Deal more damage to burning foes.Damage: 642 (1.75)Damage vs. Burning: 1,027 (2.8)Number of Targets: 5Range: 3003/4 Second Cast Time25 Second Cooldown

It has a longer range than Maul but you have to be in fire and using offhand dagger. If you are a Weaver you have to rotate into Fire as your second attunement, double attune to fire, or use a utility skill (Unravel) that most people will not use because it takes up another much needed slot. I would say it is not as readily available as swapping to your other weapon. If you are Tempest/Core you can be locked out of fire for even longer (Tempest being the longest if you overload). Not to mention the long cooldown on top of that.

Quantum Strike - Strike your foe, charging them with static and causing lightning to strike repeatedly for a short period of time.Initial Attack: 183 (0.5)Lightning Strike Damage (8x): 1,248 (3.4)Vulnerability (8s): 9% Incoming Damage, 9% Incoming Condition DamageRange: 1803/4 Second Cast Time16 Second Cooldown

Only usable with Weaver since it is a sword main hand attack and once again you have to double attune to use it, which more often than not is not done. It has a shorter range than Fire Grab and Maul and a longer cooldown than Maul.

Maul - Attack your foe with the force of a bear. Your pet gains an attack of opportunity.Damage: 706 (1.75)Vulnerability (8s): 5% Incoming Damage, 5% Incoming Condition DamageAttack of Opportunity (10s): +50% damage on next attack.Number of Targets: 5Range: 2203/4 Second Cast Time4 Second Cooldown

You have to use Greatsword but it is a pretty common weapon in PvP and also massively buffs your next burst skill, i.e. Maul into Worldly Impact (which I think should be taken into account). I also find it much easier to land Maul than it is to land Fire Grab and it has a much shorter cooldown. So it is not as punishing if it happens to miss or get blocked, etc. Ranger also has access to unblockable through a trait if you are specced into Soulbeast and a utility slot if not.

You pointed out the other problems with Ele though, so you also realize those are big issues. I'm not sure the comparison based on the modifier alone is fair though because of the other limitations of the skills.

We just need a middle-ground. Guild Wars 1 had this.

Yes, there were some invincible troll builds, but they did nearly zero damage so they were useful for nothing more than trolling.In GW2, we have too many "killed in seconds" builds as well as a few bunker builds, and the last still deal serious damage.

Where is the middle-ground?

I just left WvW after getting insta-killed 4 times by the same mesmer. And I run a build with 20 000 health and 2600 armor.

I think the main issue is there is too much of everything ever since HoT and then PoF introduced.High damage, high survival abilityMany condis, many condi clearsBoons spamMobility spamAoe spamStealth spamEvade/dodge spamEverything is pretty much can be spammed at some point these days.

So simply if they reduce one thing without the other, we will have another issue to deal with, they must be addressed together or within short time at least.

It does feel like the biggest problem here is excessive access to might in general. It is just way too easy to gain it, it lasts too long without some enough investment in boon duration (from you and the players around) and most important, it feels too much proficient at 25 stacks.

Maybe they could increase the cap to 50 and nerf its proficiency.

.....Are y'all just gonna ignore the time D/D thieves were two shotting people in core?Or warriors doing Bullscharge - Axe burst was making people head explode. Like I'm not saying damage is too low or fine. But this type of damage has always been present in gw2.The lack of a dedicated balance team who knows how to play this game has always been an issue. The Spvp community furthers this problem by complaining about everything and anything they can't kill OR get killed by. Thus, we continue to have these problems.

@Solori.6025 said:.....Are y'all just gonna ignore the time D/D thieves were two shotting people in core?Or warriors doing Bullscharge - Axe burst was making people head explode. Like I'm not saying damage is too low or fine. But this type of damage has always been present in gw2.The lack of a dedicated balance team who knows how to play this game has always been an issue. The Spvp community furthers this problem by complaining about everything and anything they can't kill OR get killed by. Thus, we continue to have these problems.

+1

If everyone did less damage no one would die and we'd all just heal back to full until we got 3v1ed.

Only Holo, Ranger, and War do a bit to much right now, and they only do "To much" because they either live to long, have do many hard hits to quickly, or have way to many safe ways to cover them.

I don't think damage alone is a problem, and even if it was I would rather this, than see the game return to sumo wars 2.

@Moona.6327 said:Time to Live(TTL) was never a consideration in this game by the developers, other companies have obvious solutions. But it would require a huge amount of code and testing, something Anet is obviously not interested in doing. It seems most of their efforts are towards their cash shop and living world episodes which also boost their cash shop. I give you an example, some games have implemented pvp specific stats, ie. resilience for world of warcraft, toughness for games like Rift. Gw2 has no pvp stat to mitigate pve skill damage from players. Which is why I've stayed away from pvp, its stun->dead, all in less than two seconds. Its not fun, and quite silly actually, but it'll come down to the developers to implement specific core stats for pvp that will separate it from pve.

There is an easy solution. From game release through today, damage has gone up by 150-200%. Damage mitigation/healing by about 100%. You know what did not go up? HP pools. You know what is the best mitigation against one shooting? HP pools.

Will increasing HP pools result in a bunker meta? I dunno for certain, but If sustain is nerfed a bit it shouldn’t. Also, we would see high damage stats (like berserker) more often, which with higher HP pools would not be an issue, and would idle to counter high sustainability. The game should shift to more iteration tactics versus trying to CC a target and kill them in under 2 secs before they can react. This literally the name of the game for at least half the meta builds currently. Incredibly terrible design.

@"Vague Memory.2817" said:Wait until the next Expac...you ain't seen nothing yet. How does ANet make the most money, by releasing ever more ridiculously OP elite specs and then nerfing the previous elite spec generation. Rinse and repeat. This will all end in super salty tears.

"Fool me once shame on you...Fool me twice shame on me"

@"Edge.8724" said:I just played a few PvP matches after a long time in PvE and I'm not sure what to think. Once we are in a fight, it ends in like what, 1 or 2 seconds? Simply put, everyone deals too much damage.

There is no place to react, it's just a race of who will burst who the fastest way possible.

Now I know there are some "bunker" builds too but these are the other extreme and isn't healthy neither. (I rarely see those though...)

Why not beeing in the middle? I mean some reasonable fight duration. I can't see how this can be fun to always be "insta killed" without having any time to react.

I absolutely agree. Damage is WAY too high. IPOWER damage is ridiculously stupid compared to condition. I've been hit for 26k in ONE SHOT. Everyone needs a 50% nerf on power damage. By comparison, condition is absolutely useless. so many builds can cleanse just about anything. Almost nobody uses condition builds and this should be obvious to the incompetent devs. but of course it's not.

Then all these ridiculously tanky builds that you just CANT KILL no matter how much burst you have need a rework. That's just stupid and broken. Then there are other annoyances like thief builds which basically have infinite evade. wtf did they even TEST this stuff before release? As i said before, if 80% of all possible builds are NON-VIABLE (which they are) the eniter damn game is broken. Everyone is filtering into a tiny subset of super cheat builds because that's the only way to viably play. this is A PROBLEM devs. you finally listening? of course not.

@kittyfur.6459 said:

I absolutely agree. Damage is WAY too high. IPOWER damage is ridiculously stupid compared to condition. I've been hit for 26k in ONE SHOT. Everyone needs a 50% nerf on power damage. By comparison, condition is absolutely useless. so many builds can cleanse just about anything. Almost nobody uses condition builds and this should be obvious to the incompetent devs. but of course it's not.

Then all these ridiculously tanky builds that you just CANT KILL no matter how much burst you have need a rework. That's just stupid and broken. Then there are other annoyances like thief builds which basically have infinite evade. kitten did they even TEST this stuff before release? As i said before, if 80% of all possible builds are NON-VIABLE (which they are) the eniter kitten game is broken. Everyone is filtering into a tiny subset of super cheat builds because that's the only way to viably play. this is A PROBLEM devs. you finally listening? of course not.

As a condi build, it is frustrating having to get in melee range and

• land a blowtorch in the enemy's face
  • then apply cover condi in the hopes that they don't immediately cleanse it
  • and hope a support build isn't around to cleanse it
  • then try and survive for up to 15s as it ticks

and if all that goes right (usually doesn't. usually gets cleansed within 2s), I can do up to 20k damage across ~15s with that skill (and other skills that applied cover condi).

.... OR ... I could play power holo and do that much in a 2s CC + burst combo.... OR ... I could play power soulbeast and do that much in 1 hit out of stealth, or in 1 combo from range.... OR ... I could play power revenant and do that much in 1 combo... OR .... you get the idea

and I am as squishy as a power build because there are no tanky amulets left in pvp. Why bother playing condi at all?

When I was actually playing pvp there was absolutely nothing I could do to counter burst damage mez. I ran a power reaper built and you can shit on that all you want but that's how I wanted to play. Not enough stun breaks = dead in mere seconds like OP said. I understand reaper is supposed to be a bit tankier and eat a bit of damage if you spec for it well enough but I don't think I should have to completely respec to counter a single class. Don't know how pvp feels now cuz I haven't played in a few months so if mez shatters have already been nerfed then feel free to ignore this but I just wanted to share my opinion.

@Safandula.8723 said:

@Safandula.8723 said:I'm first with the following!Just dodge

It's a shame that toxicity like this goes unpunished

It's shame that non of u didn't spot irony in my post."just dodge" is already a meme, and this topic was touched shiton of times. It's obvious that dmg in the game is way to high, and it's not gonna be changed i guess. The magic of pve based game

I have and I shall carry this furthereh ehrm

NURF TEEEEFFOMG SO MUCC DOGIS CANT DO DMGSO FUST VERR OPPRESSV CLASS NEEDS NURFJIST BLINK AND DED NO TIM FOR REACT PLIS NURF OMG TEFF SO OPTEFF OPNURF PLESCNT DODGE IF AM DED OMG OMG OMGNURF TEFF PLS

I said it in a similar subject so it's only fair that I say the same thing here. (even if yours is older but hey it came back at the top of the discussion list)If you said that 1.5 seasons ago (so AT LEAST 3 balance patches ago) I would have agreed because all the meta was burst. Now I think the game is in a decent state were you have both tanky and damage build. I do not think fights are over in 1 or 2s unless you get focused or are in a bad position (and / or are running glasscanon yourself).There is no place to react also sound like you are having trouble finding out what everyone can / cannot do after your break. Lots of things have changed in the last 5months and I think you will quickly get back in.The only difference in your subject that you point out that you want a build in the middle. So some kind of duelist / fighting option ? Something like a boonbeast or a spellbreaker or a weaver ? Do'nt get me wrong, boonbeast and spellbreaker are capable of dishing out a lot of burst damage (rampage or wolf stance) but outside of their burst phase they are more what you describe.There is still room for toning it down (on tanky and damage side) as long as it affects both.