To all the Mesmers out there...............

First off, thank you.My daughter and I were doing Thunderhead Peaks map complete and as we all know there are those 2 poi's where you have to get the plates, enter the rooms yadda yadda. She was on her mesmer and said I will just port. Awesome. So this other person jumps on her port and also takes it, okay nothing wrong with that but then he pops out and never says a word. no thank you no nothing. When we exit the room he actually says. "Hey, port me into the purple room" after a few seconds I see her type "Nope" then she typed "manners" He was absolutely astounded that she would not and was clueless as to why....I see this more and more too, people think mesmers are at their beck and call and expect this of them............Ya, nope! lol......

Mesmers, I for one thank you for all the ports and I appreciate all you do. So for all those jerks out there that never say thank you or never tip, know that I will always send you a little something and am always grateful. I know there are others too, that feel as I do.

Agreed, OP.

I have a Mesmer and I enjoy providing portals to people just as much as I appreciate coming across them myself. The ability to lend that hand has been an important part of the community and has had a positive influence on strangers in the same way that the ability to revive other players does.

As much as I hate fighting them, I really appreciate when a mesmer who's good at a jp comes and completes it, then drops a portal at the entrance for those who aren't so good at it. I like to tip, but I just liquidated my account for my griffon mount. And my leather, wood, and metal aren't going anywhere because I'm getting close to the second step of hunter experiment.

@Funky.4861 said:

@Evangalise.4863 said:Okay this is the last time I will bother responding to you. You seem to like to trash talk all over this forum and it's posters. You are the one attaching more to it than what it is, not me. Have a nice evening.

Look... your daughter is old enough to be a mother, and that’s great, but there are teenagers playing this free game because they can’t afford Those Other MMOs and they’re trying to escape the pressures of school and a teacher telling them they have bad manners.

Would’ve “thank you” been nice? Sure, but it’s different on the internet.

Edit: In fact, he probably thought your daughter was a “bro” and bros don’t need to thank each other. Again, this is a game, I don’t know where you got your unreasonably high standards from. It is a video game.

Mort, you're sounding really bad here. 'Bro's don't need to thank each other' is just BS and seems to be some american cultural thing, because it's that kind of ingratitude that stops people from helping you. Those standards are basic for getting on in life, unless you're a neckbeard incel or something. I understand the escapism (that's why we're all here) but 'manners maketh the man' and if they have kitten manners then they will get treated like kitten. If i give someone a hand and don't even get a token of appreciation in return, that's a dealbreaker and they get nothing from me; treat people as you would like to be treated.

You know, there are people that help others without expecting something in return.~~ I guess you're not that type of person.~~

Edit: After having cleared things through PMs i'm going to redact the personal second part, as i now have a better understanding of Funky as a person.

I thank Mesmers for the port and tip when I can. Sometimes I forget, I just see a shiny portal on the ground that everyone is pouring into and I go along with it and forget to thank, especially in a Meta. But if it's one on one, then it's polite to thank the person, especially if the port was done out of the kindness of their heart.

@Raknar.4735 said:

@Evangalise.4863 said:Okay this is the last time I will bother responding to you. You seem to like to trash talk all over this forum and it's posters. You are the one attaching more to it than what it is, not me. Have a nice evening.

Look... your daughter is old enough to be a mother, and that’s great, but there are teenagers playing this free game because they can’t afford Those Other MMOs and they’re trying to escape the pressures of school and a teacher telling them they have bad manners.

Edit: In fact, he probably thought your daughter was a “bro” and bros don’t need to thank each other. Again, this is a game, I don’t know where you got your unreasonably high standards from. It is a video game.

Mort, you're sounding really bad here. 'Bro's don't need to thank each other' is just BS and seems to be some american cultural thing, because it's that kind of ingratitude that stops people from helping you. Those standards are basic for getting on in life, unless you're a neckbeard incel or something. I understand the escapism (that's why we're all here) but 'manners maketh the man' and if they have kitten manners then they will get treated like kitten. If i give someone a hand and don't even get a token of appreciation in return, that's a dealbreaker and they get nothing from me; treat people as you would like to be treated.

You know, there are people that help others without expecting something in return. I guess you're not that type of person.

There is a rather significant difference between expecting something in return a d choosing to not help ungrateful or antisocial people who act as if they own you.

I remember in Anarchy Online you relied on other players to stat buff you into higher gear. It was an unofficial rule of thumb that anyone who didnt ask properly (ie not “buff plz”) didnt get anything until they took the time to type out a request properly.

Ive tried to remember that 15 years on in this game when needing favours or dishing them out.

Politeness in game is always to be encouraged and mesmers are often the most deserving, esp as most just offer services out off their own accord.

@Ashen.2907 said:

You know, there are people that help others without expecting something in return. I guess you're not that type of person.

There is a rather significant difference between expecting something in return a d choosing to not help ungrateful or antisocial people who act as if they own you.

There's also a big difference betweeen helping people just for the sake of helping and helping someone to get a reward. The person I replied to strikes me to be of the second kind.

I'm not saying you have to help everyone, just don't expect a reward when you do.

@Raknar.4735 said:

@"Evangalise.4863" said:Okay this is the last time I will bother responding to you. You seem to like to trash talk all over this forum and it's posters. You are the one attaching more to it than what it is, not me. Have a nice evening.

There's also a big difference betweeen helping people just for the sake of helping and helping someone to get a reward. The person I replied to strikes me to be of the second kind.

I'm not saying you have to help everyone, just don't expect a reward when you do.

I just dont think that basic politeness is an unreasonably high standard. I would probably* not help someone being rude, not because I need a thank you or please as a, "reward," but because I am not inclined to reward others for such behavior.

• I try to keep in mind that not everyone is fluent in English and so don't assume rudeness if there are indications that it is a language barrier issue rather than an unwillingness to be polite.

@Ashen.2907 said:

@"Evangalise.4863" said:Okay this is the last time I will bother responding to you. You seem to like to trash talk all over this forum and it's posters. You are the one attaching more to it than what it is, not me. Have a nice evening.

I just dont think that basic politeness is an unreasonably high standard. I would not help someone being rude, not because I need a thank you or please as a, "reward," but because I am not inclined to reward others for such behavior.

I also wouldn't help someone that is openly rude, yet I don't mind just "helping" people. If I hold open a door for someone I don't mind if they are indifferent to my action, since I'm doing it out of my own volition. A thanks is appreciated, but not thanking me wouldn't stop me from holding it open again for you.

Funky.4861 specifically said:

@Funky.4861 said:If i give someone a hand and don't even get a token of appreciation in return, that's a dealbreaker and they get nothing from me

and I just don't agree. I don't think "indifference" is rude behaviour. I just don't try to assume bad intentions, it could be a misunderstanding or just a cultural thing.

I am happy that some of you got what I was saying in my post. It wasn't about expecting anything. Just an observation ( in game ) which led me to come and post thanking the mesmers for the extra mile..........I simply wanted them to know that there are still people that truly appreciate what they do. My post was nothing more than that. Heck, when I jump on my mesmer that is parked out in Southsun I always holler out if anyone wants the chest. I don't expect anything and if someone does tip, I send it back. I mean I'm there anyway. :) Happy weekend all.

@Raknar.4735 said:

I just dont think that basic politeness is an unreasonably high standard. I would not help someone being rude, not because I need a thank you or please as a, "reward," but because I am not inclined to reward others for such behavior.

I also wouldn't help someone that is openly rude, yet I don't mind just "helping" people. If I hold open a door for someone I don't mind if they are indifferent to my action, since I'm doing it out of my own volition. A thanks is appreciated, but not thanking me wouldn't stop me from holding it open again for you.

@Funky.4861 said:If i give someone a hand and don't even get a token of appreciation in return, that's a dealbreaker and they get nothing from me

and I just don't agree. I don't think "indifference" is rude behaviour. I just don't try to assume bad intentions, it could be a misunderstanding or just a cultural thing.

I don't think that rudeness is a matter of intention. An action, or form of behavior, can be rude even if the one performing it is not aware of the cultural expectations or standards that determine such things.

In the specific instance mentioned by the OP, I probably would not hold it against the guy who chose not to say thank you, but the follow up of a demand rather than a request for additional assistance would disincline me to provide additional assistance.

I do some porting on JP dailies and recently the areas needed for mount collection, I get thanks and it is all I need. Apart from the odd gold sent my way, which I get guilty about and send back. But none the less, when I do my JP daily, and some mesmer, usually one of the heroes from PINK guild, port me, I send a gold their way. Theey stay there for hours doing it.

@Ashen.2907 said:

I don't think that rudeness is a matter of intention. An action, or form of behavior, can be rude even if the one performing it is not aware of the cultural expectations or standards that determine such things.

Yes, an action may be perceived as rude, but is that enough to call someone bad-mannered? If he is not aware of the cultural standards, isn't it a misunderstanding? I really think intention plays a large role on how we should judge others. (But that's just my opinion)

In the specific instance mentioned by the OP, I probably would not hold it against the guy who chose not to say thank you, but the follow up of a demand rather than a request for additional assistance would disincline me to provide additional assistance.

The OP mentioned:

@"Evangalise.4863" said:"Hey, port me into the purple room" after a few seconds I see her type "Nope" then she typed "manners" He was absolutely astounded that she would not and was clueless >as to why....I see this more and more too, people think mesmers are at their beck and call and expect this of them............Ya, nope! lol......

I don't see a follow up demand, the other person was just astounded, I don't have enough information to know how the person reacted afterwards. I don't know if he demanded a portal, if he requested one, or if he just simply left, so it is hard for me to judge him/her.

I'm still very thankfull for every portal I've ever taken. (Mesmer and Scourge portals alike, aside from a few portals to nowhere)I'm also sorry for going so far off-topic, since this was just a thank you to all mesmers, and most other off-topic posts have already been deleted.

I wonder if the guy who inspired this topic is the same one who saw me going up the Vizier's Tower jumping puzzle and wrote "portal me" several times in chat, then when I told him I was an elementalist and not a mesmer said "switch then" as if it was the most normal thing in the world to order a total stranger to stop what they're doing, change characters and repeat a jumping puzzle for your convenience. I realise the wording may have been the result of limited English skills, but I can't imagine that's a reasonable request in any country.

Generally I find GW2 players to be very friendly and cooperative (certainly compared to other games I play where asking a polite question on a newbie map will get you yelled at for being 'too stupid and lazy' to google it instead of speaking to other players) but there are always exceptions. (I've had it the other way round too - a mesmer who didn't realise I did a jumping puzzle myself and just happened to reach the top while their portal was active sent me a snarky whisper about not thanking them.)

But in most cases I find the best approach is just to ignore them. Or report and block if they're being really offensive.

@"gateless gate.8406" said:Mesmers have collectively run up a "troll debt" due to their troll portals at the end of meta events. Don't expect a tip or thanks for a good portal, ever, because the debt is very, very large.

Is it weird that I like those? Unless it's at the base of a jumping puzzle or they've said what it's for I always hesitate before entering a mesmer portal to ask myself "Am I willing to accept that this could lead anywhere? That it could kill me?" but since even death isn't a big problem in this game (at worst I have to use a waypoint) the answer is almost always yes. I'd rather take a few minutes out of my day to find out where they're sending people than wonder where it might have lead.

@Raknar.4735 said:

Yes, an action may be perceived as rude, but is that enough to call someone bad-mannered? If he is not aware of the cultural standards, isn't it a misunderstanding? I really think intention plays a large role on how we should judge others. (But that's just my opinion)

The OP mentioned:

@"Evangalise.4863" said:"Hey, port me into the purple room" after a few seconds I see her type "Nope" then she typed "manners" He was absolutely astounded that she would not and was clueless >as to why....I see this more and more too, people think mesmers are at their beck and call and expect this of them............Ya, nope! lol......

I don't see a follow up demand, the other person was just astounded, I don't have enough information to know how the person reacted afterwards. I don't know if he demanded a portal, if he requested one, or if he just simply left, so it is hard for me to judge him/her.

I'm still very thankfull for every portal I've ever taken. (Mesmer and Scourge portals alike, aside from a few portals to nowhere)I'm also sorry for going so far off-topic, since this was just a thank you to all mesmers, and most other off-topic posts have already been deleted.

Its not so much a matter of judging others, as I have stated I make allowances for misunderstanding, but rather the action or behavior. Rewarding rude behavior encourages it.

The follow up demand was to, "port me."

A request would be, "Please port me," or, "would you port me," or some variation.

@Evangalise.4863 said:I am happy that some of you got what I was saying in my post. It wasn't about expecting anything. Just an observation ( in game ) which led me to come and post thanking the mesmers for the extra mile..........I simply wanted them to know that there are still people that truly appreciate what they do. My post was nothing more than that. Heck, when I jump on my mesmer that is parked out in Southsun I always holler out if anyone wants the chest. I don't expect anything and if someone does tip, I send it back. I mean I'm there anyway. :) Happy weekend all.

The mesmers I've met in game have all been lovely. I really appreciate what they do for the community, especially for those of us who are bad at jumping puzzles. Thank you all so much for being so helpful. :)

I usually say thanks. But unless I specifically asked for it (I never ever demand it, another player does not own me his her playtime and effort in any shape or form to port me) or a mesmer went out of his/her way for me to help with something that would have cost me a lot of time I don't usually tip in game gold. To be honest I don't play that much (lovely, very active and demanding, badly sleeping 4 year old tends to do that to a mom ;) ), don't grind and am often pretty much strapped for gold.

I often type "thanks kind mesmer" or mesmers rock or something to that end, as I don't always know which player put down the portal.

It can go both ways too though. I have taken a portal, said thanks for the portal I didn't request but appreciated, which was being put up time and time again for a relative simple jumping puzzle. I said thanks as it saved me a few minutes and I appreciate the help. But then the mesmer started spamming if you are grateful tip me, give money, give gold, money please money please. That to be honest did not actually entice me to tip, quite to opposite, and I preferred not to have taken the portal at all. My gratitude kinda vanished too. Also had some mesmers complain about the tip being to low. Luckily this all is pretty rare in my experience, but I had it a dozen times or so. But most often the mesmers that helped me are just being nice and not asking anything in return. I happily say thanks to them, and really appreciate them. I like nice people being nice for the sole reason of being nice. The world needs more of those :)

I have a mesmer myself and have been porting ppl around without asking for a fee. Never got a fee either I think... Occasionally someone says thanks which is fine. Most of time they say nothing, which is also fine. When I need a portal and I ask for it I do say thanks. If I see a portal in front of my nose without asking (sometimes say thanks, sometimes nothing). If the portal spot is difficult to reach I give a tip and thanks. If any mesmer specifically begs for a fee (especially a fixed amount), I am not even taking the portal and just do the jumping, or I give a fee to another mesmer that starts making a port at same place just coz he/she is not begging for cash.

@Ashen.2907 said:

The OP mentioned:

Its not so much a matter of judging others, as I have stated I make allowances for misunderstanding, but rather the action or behavior. Rewarding rude behavior encourages it.

The follow up demand was to, "port me."

A request would be, "Please port me," or, "would you port me," or some variation.

If you deem behaviour to be rude you're already judging by definition.A follow up demand was never stated, only the initial "port me", for all we know the person could have just left after getting told "manners", we don't have the whole story.I still don't think a simple "port me" is rude.