PvP ping/latency norms? (what is acceptable?)

@Crab Fear.1624 said:What is acceptable ping in pvp?

I use to have 20ms then I moved and now its about 50ms in NA.

I made an EU account that sits between 110-130 ms.

If I become more active on EU will the ping be too much?

In my opinion it will definitely be too much, for me on EU anything above 100 means 2+ secs delay in everything, but the amount of people I get telling me how great they do with 100+ makes me wonder...

Oh, I was imagining some countries with players further away from the servers. But, I guess it's rough above 100...

I am already a potato, I would hate to confirm it as "random root vegetable" by testing it out myself handicapped.

@Alatar.7364 said:

In my opinion it will definitely be too much, for me on EU anything above 100 means 2+ secs delay in everything, but the amount of people I get telling me how great they do with 100+ makes me wonder...

For anyone else reading:

How well do AU, NZ, SA players do with their ping? Or players on domains not optimal to their location doing?

@Crab Fear.1624 said:For anyone else reading:

How well do AU, NZ, SA players do with their ping? Or players on domains not optimal to their location doing?

Im from Brazil and my ping is about 140 ms. I can do OK with it, but it gets tricky when i gotta react fast. Like with HoT thief build (pulmonary impact) i couldnt interrupt players with my pistol 4, the skill would always come off a little too late.

@Alatar.7364 said:

You realise 100ping/ms means 100 millisecond delay which is equal to 0.1 second. If you actually have 2 seconds delay that would mean you have micro ping spikes of 2000ping/ms but game doesn't detects it or takes average.

lul CrabI am from EUI play on EUI still manage to get 49,884 ping just when logging to the PVP lobbyI think you will be just fine xDtrololololololololololololololo

@lightningz.1465 said:I play with 270 -290 pings, sad but you can't do anything. Major reason why I can't go above plat 1.Curious if there's anyone who has similar ping and can go above P1, that requires some serious skill.

I am around 1570-1600. Can't take on top 50. They seem to be able to dodge all my attacks but I can't always dodge theirs. But even against p2 games I do pretty decently. Most of the time I anticipate what they do. If a ranger pew pews n smoke assaults I know they will follow up with worldly impact. So I dodge after using my gs evades on my warrior.

If I see Holo stealth. I will either sheild 5 or gs 3. Because he will likely Holo 5 or rifle 4.

Just things like that have been keeping me holding nodes n winning 1v1s.

I am on 270 ping on average. I only feel likes not playable over 300.

I generally test skill canceling before I go in game. If I can cancel then I know I m good to go.

@Alatar.7364 said:

I m 1570-1600 ranked. Average ping is 270. I sometimes wonder what it's like on below 100 ping

@TorQ.7041 said:

I m 1570-1600 ranked. Average ping is 270. I sometimes wonder what it's like on below 100 ping

Guess the other poster was right about the micro spikes then, sometimes in the option menu it just randomly writes between 1600 and 3000 ping even though the average is nowhere near that.So since you two are not the only people to tell me they don't get those insane delays above 100ms I guess it is not usually bad, like I said, made me wonder =D

@Alatar.7364 said:

Guess the other poster was right about the micro spikes then, sometimes in the option menu it just randomly writes between 1600 and 3000 ping even though the average is nowhere near that.So since you two are not the only people to tell me they don't get those insane delays above 100ms I guess it is not usually bad, like I said, made me wonder =D

Dunno about super delays. But rampage for example. If I press stow weapon it cancels it almost at the very end of the bar. I notice other players can stow skills far more smoothly. N some times when I m sure I dodged their skill it didn't dodge. It's quite annoying. But I think these tiny fractions of a second only changes things up above p2. Where these players have twitch reactions to every skill.

I don't intend to ever get pass p2. Don't have time for such things. Quite happy to stay in the mid low plat segment. Where ppl know what they are doing but not completely going ape kitten over things.

You... had... 20... ms? That's elite-level ping. If you practiced and excelled with that kind of ping, ugh. I'm jealous.

I get 75 ping average, and I would hesitate to play at 100 ping. The 30 ping difference (for me) is the difference between getting hit by stuff I could normally easily dodge.

When I fight somebody with much higher or much lower ping, it's obvious, as I have a harder time dodging their attacks and some of my skills will mystically miss because they're in a slightly different position, or something to that effect.

@sephiroth.4217 said:Around 300ish average is acceptable but will still play at 400 average.

I at one time played with 300 ping (Mac + bad internet) and let me tell you, it is a massive. MASSIVE. handicap. The difference between that and sub-100 ping is night and day.

@Mbelch.9028 said:

You... had... 20... ms? That's elite-level ping. If you practiced and excelled with that kind of ping, ugh. I'm jealous.

I get 75 ping average, and I would hesitate to play at 100 ping. The 30 ping difference (for me) is the difference between getting hit by stuff I could normally easily dodge.

When I fight somebody with much higher or much lower ping, it's obvious, as I have a harder time dodging their attacks and some of my skills will mystically miss because they're in a slightly different position, or something to that effect.

@sephiroth.4217 said:Around 300ish average is acceptable but will still play at 400 average.

I at one time played with 300 ping (Mac + bad internet) and let me tell you, it is a massive. MASSIVE. handicap. The difference between that and sub-100 ping is night and day.

I can see the difference when I play other games with OCX servers, LoL for example is 20-60ms tops.

You have to be a little bit predictive in this game and curse at mirages because only name plates are visible.

Another Aussie here, apologies for arriving late to the party. On NA server 250 avg ping, EU server 350 avg ping. Like others have said it's not impossible, but it's not easy either. On occasion you need to be psychic & anticipate opponent rather than reacting directly to what you see. And of course, the higher up you ranking the more impact that high ping rate penalises you.

@TorQ.7041 said:

@lightningz.1465 said:I play with 270 -290 pings, sad but you can't do anything. Major reason why I can't go above plat 1.Curious if there's anyone who has similar ping and can go above P1, that requires some serious skill.

I am around 1570-1600. Can't take on top 50. They seem to be able to dodge all my attacks but I can't always dodge theirs. But even against p2 games I do pretty decently. Most of the time I anticipate what they do. If a ranger pew pews n smoke assaults I know they will follow up with worldly impact. So I dodge after using my gs evades on my warrior.

If I see Holo stealth. I will either sheild 5 or gs 3. Because he will likely Holo 5 or rifle 4.

I generally test skill canceling before I go in game. If I can cancel then I know I m good to go.

Cheers to you mate!

I'm SEA so we should have similar pings. My highest rating is around 1580, on those rating, playing against P2+ players, milisecond delay matters.

I mostly play ranger, the most annoying part is the longbow skill not hitting target while in the close distance, and I can't skill cancel quickly enough to react to my opponent, so yeah I think that is the ceiling for player like us, maybe I can reach P2 at some point but definitely not above that..

@lightningz.1465 said:

Cheers to you mate!

I'm SEA so we should have similar pings. My highest rating is around 1580, on those rating, playing against P2+ players, milisecond delay matters.

I mostly play ranger, the most annoying part is the longbow skill not hitting target while in the close distance, and I can't skill cancel quickly enough to react to my opponent, so yeah I think that is the ceiling for player like us, maybe I can reach P2 at some point but definitely not above that..

Cheers to you too. Looks like we are the same level. It's true milisections matter. But I think if u r playing sic em em it's less forgiving. I play warrior. Gonna do ranger coming season. Seeing if I can touch 1600