GW2's odd version of flying . . . Why can't your mount, like Just. Fly.??

Reading the following in another thread:

"I just realized something. With the Skyscale, this is an infinite elevator though a slow one. Get to the highest point you can with the skyscale/springer, jump with the springer, Bound of Faith, glide, mount the Skyscale (that's the first mastery and works just like the Griffon). Use your new flight bar to go up, hover until Bound of Faith cools down, repeat. Unless you lose as much or more altitude gliding before you can re-mount, you could go as high as you wanted this way."

Holy. Moly.

In other MMOs, let's just say WoW for now, but there are numerous others,when you get a flying mount,

It.Just.Flies.

No gliding, climbing, launching, jumping, etc.

Just.Like.An.Actual.Bird.You know, it just takes off, flies through the sky, and then lands wherever it feels like.Like an actual Eagle, Condor, Robin, Wren, Starling, Crow, or

Pterodactyl.

What gives?Flight by bird-like beings has been around for Billions of Years.

Why complicate it so much?

What EXACTLY is the point with flying mounts GW2 wants to make SO COMPLICATED???

Have you tried the Griffon? No? It flies. (gasp) ;)

Okay, I get you. It does not launch from the ground, like the Skyscale. They devided a bird's abilities between the two, it seems. But I believe it is for the better, as otherwise no one would use any of the other means of traversing maps anymore, and it could ruin the game.

@"Kabuki Theatre.9752" said:Reading the following in another thread:

"I just realized something. With the Skyscale, this is an infinite elevator though a slow one. Get to the highest point you can with the skyscale/springer, jump with the springer, Bound of Faith, glide, mount the Skyscale (that's the first mastery and works just like the Griffon). Use your new flight bar to go up, hover until Bound of Faith cools down, repeat. Unless you lose as much or more altitude gliding before you can re-mount, you could go as high as you wanted this way."Doesn't work. Mounting the Skyscale in the air works as if you had mounted it from the last place where you were standing on the ground. Doing what you suggest would leave you with a huge red bar as soon as you mount the Skyscale.

@"Kabuki Theatre.9752" said:Why complicate it so much?People would just skip the content if they could fly freely. It would break the game.

Honestly, this falls within the category of "things players believe they want but that would hurt more than benefit the game".

@Kabuki Theatre.9752 said:

@"Trise.2865" said:Three words: "fly-over zones". You play WoW, so you know what that term means, and why GW2 should avoid it like the plague.

Please explain to me in plain words,how a bird,behaving exactly like a real bird,is somehow artificial?

If we're talking pure realism, real birds aren't even used as mounts.Personally, I have no idea if they can fly at all with a noticeable additional load (a rider) on their back.

@Airdive.2613 said:

@"Trise.2865" said:Three words: "fly-over zones". You play WoW, so you know what that term means, and why GW2 should avoid it like the plague.

Please explain to me in plain words,how a bird,behaving exactly like a real bird,is somehow artificial?

If we're talking pure realism, real birds aren't even used as mounts.Personally, I have no idea if they can fly at all with a noticeable additional load (a rider) on their back.

Actual predator birds have been known to carry up to 150% of their weight in their talons.It is not a far stretch at all to imagine they could carry the same weight on their backs.My question still remains:

And why is GW2 so very reluctant to replicate that?

Because a bird isn't carrying us on its back. Can you imagine how heavy we are, carrying around large sums of gold and 100+ things in our inventory?

In all seriousness though, I enjoy the Skyscale. As it is, it has upsides (and some extreme downsides, like mounting in midair resulting in no flight bar). That's how mounts should be, IMO.

@ChronoPinoyX.7923 said:

By carrying a person on its back when it shouldn't be.

And the mythical Griffon and Skyscale is being realistic by carrying people on its back?At least an Eagle can carry off a sheep with no problem at all.

And the mythical Griffon and Skyscale is being realistic by carrying people on its back?At least an Eagle can carry off a sheep with no problem at all.

You asked how a bird in this game, behaving like a real bird, is artificial.

It's artificial because it's carrying a person on its back. When a real bird that can take flight carries a person on its back let me know.

@ChronoPinoyX.7923 said:

It's artificial because it's carrying a person on its back. When a real bird that can take flight carries a person on its back let me know.

It is artificial because it is a false construct.Birds do not going through a false discombobulation of jumping, leaping, gliding, and caterwaulingJust.Simply.To.Fly.

It is an artificial construct by GW2 to imagine a flying creature that does not evenbegin to mimic nature.Something that would be so easy to do.

@Kabuki Theatre.9752 said:how a bird,behaving exactly like a real bird,is somehow artificial?

No one is making that argument.Because (a) a Griffon is not a bird, (b) a Griffon doesn't exist in our world, © and everything in GW2 is artificial in some way besides the obvious.

There are, however, lots of reasons why it would be bad for Guild Wars 2, and fine for other games.

• GW2 already allows skipping zones by use of waypoints; mount travel is slower.
  • Other games tend to have more stuff that people want to skip; generally, all zones in GW2 have potentially interesting areas.
  • Everything in GW2 is balanced (theoretically). Each mount is setup to have their own niche, to be less useful in some arenas. Each is setup to have advantages/disadvantages compared to 'walking'.

In the end, it's a design choice: it's more fun this way (in ANet's opinion, and that of many players).

It is artificial because it is a false construct.Birds do not going through a false discombobulation of jumping, leaping, gliding, and caterwaulingJust.Simply.To.Fly.

It is an artificial construct by GW2 to imagine a flying creature that does not evenbegin to mimic nature.Something that would be so easy to do.

Except this isn't reality. You're imposing realistic features on non realistic creature. The flight system in this game is different because it stops making mount overpowered by letting them access every single area without effort. I answered your question on why an artificial bird is not realistic.

The flight system is different as it's meant to ease access to certain areas without breaking the mount into being the sole reason to traverse around. It's a system based on factors of balance and a flight system with limitless access is not balanced, it's broken.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@Kabuki Theatre.9752 said:how a bird,behaving exactly like a real bird,is somehow artificial?

No one is making that argument.Because (a) a Griffon is not a bird, (b) a Griffon doesn't exist in our world, © and everything in GW2 is artificial in some way besides the obvious.

There are, however, lots of reasons why it would be bad for Guild Wars 2, and fine for other games.
  • GW2 already allows skipping zones by use of waypoints; mount travel is slower.
  • Other games tend to have more stuff that people want to skip; generally, all zones in GW2 have potentially interesting areas.
  • Everything in GW2 is balanced (theoretically). Each mount is setup to have their own niche, to be less useful in some arenas. Each is setup to have advantages/disadvantages compared to 'walking'.

In the end, it's a design choice: it's more fun this way (in ANet's opinion, and that of many players).

Actually, it seems otherwise . . .GW2 wants you to spend the time, energy, blood, sweat, tears and(not insignificantly)GOLD,to acquire a half-dozen or more mounts to accomplish the same thingthat twowould easily accomplish:A land-based creature,and a Bird.

When you think of a magical flying beast strong enough to carry a fully armored Knight into battle, you do expect that it magically has unlimited stamina capable of soaring into the stratosphere and flying around the entire globe.

Skyscale falls way short of that.

If 8 tiny wingless reindeer can pull a fat man's sled around the world non-stop in 1 night, you'd think a dragon could do a little better.

@"EmmetOtter.8542" said:When you think of a magical flying beast strong enough to carry a fully armored Knight into battle, you do expect that it magically has unlimited stamina capable of soaring into the stratosphere and flying around the entire globe.

Skyscale falls way short of that.

If 8 tiny wingless reindeer can pull a fat man's sled around the world non-stop in 1 night, you'd think a dragon could do a little better.

Well, you have a point.

The Raptor mount is a perfectly realistic example ofa prehistoric animal, pretty much portrayed realistically in"Jurassic Park" movie.It was at least based on archeological evidence unearthed by scientists.based on skeletal reconstruction.I can accept that perfectly.AND, very well done.

There are MANY animals in GW2 that are realistic portrayals of nature andexisting animals. I don't need to list them all here.

However, the Griffon is a totally false construct. Totally. Completely. Unrepentantly.And then to say "Well, it's artificialWell, how do you relate it to the other Completely Accurate reconstructions of Earthly animals?

It's An Utterly False Construct.

Actually, it seems otherwise . . .GW2 wants you to spend the time, energy, blood, sweat, tears and(not insignificantly)GOLD,to acquire a half-dozen or more mounts to accomplish the same thingthat twowould easily accomplish:A land-based creature,and a Bird.

A flying mount renders land-based mount obsolete.

The main reason is simply that having a flying mount makes a huge amount of open world content and map design useless. Why bother designing terrain elevation and shortcuts if players can simply fly over it? Why have these random events that spawn when players will just fly over them? A major strength of GW2 is the open world content. Look at WoW and FFXIV whose open world content has been meh at best and free flying is a cause for it. Not to mention if you ask the players, free flying is not exactly something that is unanimously liked. If you want players to engage in open world over and over again, then you cannot allow this sort of easy travel.

Also please stop typing with a new line after every word, is obnoxious.

The game was not built to have true flying in it and thank god it isn't. Flying would make every other mount 100% useless and exploring becomes boring as hell. They'd have to introduce even more invisible barriers or mechanics that stop you from just flying into areas you're not supposed to get into. Which is another point: WoW is enormous open areas, GW2 has many instanced maps that aren't connected without a loading screen. You can't just have one gigantic load zone around maps either.

It's a fantasy roleplaying computer game. They can do whatever they want. Anet could have made it look like a paper bag and called it flying, as long as it actually transported me through the air for as long as I wanted to be in the air.

Right now we got an undersized, asthmatic, out of shape, "dragon" that's gasping for breath and needs a break after like 200 yards.

When dragons picked teams for Dragon Ball, this guy wouldn't get picked until last and then they were all like "I don't want Gilbert, you take him" and "Naw man, I got him last time". This is what we got for a flyer.

And sadly, it's the best we got so yeah I'm going to bust my but getting him.

@Erasculio.2914 said:

@Kabuki Theatre.9752 said:Well, you have a point.

The Raptor mount is a perfectly realistic example ofa prehistoric animal

Not really. For a raptor to be a perfectly realistic example of a dinossaur, it would need to have feathers.

The fossil evidence is still out on that.Most paleontologists are divided on that issue.There are peer-reviewed journal research articles that come down on either side of that viewpoint.