GW2's odd version of flying . . . Why can't your mount, like Just. Fly.??

@Sila.6748 said:

@Kabuki Theatre.9752 said:And how Exactlywould it "ruin the game."?

Before mounts were introduced, the game had a set traveling mechanic: waypoints, plus by foot. If you could fly over everything just like that, not only would old means of traveling become obsolete, new maps would also no longer pose a challenge at all when it comes to map completion (as verticality would no longer matter). The point of map completion is to thoroughly explore a new map.

I would like to ask you one simple question ---How is it that so many other MMOshave implemented flying creatures into their games,without completely destroying their creations?

Is this not possible within the GW2 environment?OR

is GW2 the great exception to the rule?

Propose a flying mount in Guild Wars 2, and there’s an obvious challenge in that its content to date has been designed with players’ feet firmly on the ground.

“We knew we had to be careful with how we went about tackling ‘flying’ in the game,” says Cronacher. “If we did free flight it would break a lot of content and invalidate the other mounts, which we didn’t want to do. We had to find a balance of feeling like the flight was natural and fun, but focused on player skill and manipulation, rather than free omnidirectional flight.”

They dont
WANT
omnidirectional free flight. This is what they have chosen for their game. If you don't like it, this game is not for you.

Again, yet another response of --

If you don't like that game,pick your bat, ball, and gloves,and go somewhere else.

Brilliant.Just Brilliant.

@yusayu.3629 said:In WoW mounts are glorified speedboosts. It's one of the amazing designs in GW2, that all the mounts feel different, and you actually have to do something to stay in the air (the griffon can permanently stay in the air with all the masteries). WoW mounts are incredibly boring.

In WoW, there are Many mounts that require work . . .blood, sweat, and tears,to master.To become really, really good with them.

Please don't generalize about things that are false.Many WoW mounts require a LOT of work to master.The fact that you did notdoes not mean they are boring.It means you did not do the work to master them.

“We knew we had to be careful with how we went about tackling ‘flying’ in the game,” says Cronacher. “If we did free flight it would break a lot of content and invalidate the other mounts, which we didn’t want to do. We had to find a balance of feeling like the flight was natural and fun, but focused on player skill and manipulation, rather than free omnidirectional flight.”

They dont
WANT
omnidirectional free flight. This is what they have chosen for their game. If you don't like it, this game is not for you.

If you don't like that game,pick your bat, ball, and gloves,and go somewhere else.

Since you seem hung up on wanting to argue any piece of information given to you as to why GW2 will not implement free flying omnidirectional flying mounts, yes, I'm going to say that if you don't like the way mounts are handled here this isn't going to be what you like. Guild Wars 2 will not implement free flying mounts, no matter what people say or argue about. They don't want that in their game. Their reasoning is very clear - it would break a lot of content and invalidate the other mounts. They want mounts to be based on player skill and manipulation, which is exactly what you described you didn't like in your first post. You didn't like the idea of utilizing two or even three different mounts and masteries just to get somewhere - that's what guild wars DOES like. That's what they want in their game.

@Sila.6748 said:

They dont
WANT

Since you seem hung up on wanting to argue any piece of information given to you as to why GW2 will not implement free flying omnidirectional flying mounts, yes, I'm going to say that if you don't like the way mounts are handled here this isn't going to be what you like. Guild Wars 2 will not implement free flying mounts, no matter what people say or argue about. They don't want that in their game. Their reasoning is very clear - it would break a lot of content and invalidate the other mounts. They want mounts to be based on player skill and manipulation, which is exactly what you described you didn't like in your first post. You didn't like the idea of utilizing two or even three different mounts and masteries just to get somewhere - that's what guild wars DOES like. That's what they want in their game.

Well, at least yo have a well-reasoned, articulate,and non-judgemental response.

I truly respect that, and commend you on your posting.

This is a true rarity on these forums:

People who give really well-thought-out responses without all the

unnecessary judgmental beesess.

Thank you for your excellent response.

@Kabuki Theatre.9752 said:Well, at least yo have a well-reasoned, articulate,and non-judgemental response.

With all that said - you can still very much enjoy guild wars with the limitations in mind. We'll never have free flying, but the Skyscale is pretty good at horizontal movement and precision landing. Especially in comparison to the griffon - the griffon has speed, which the skyscale doesn't. Skyscale can land on tiny branches and ledges that e ven the springer can't manage to grab onto easily. Gliding works fairly well in some of the HoT/Ls3 maps and when you combine them with mounts, you get a lot of fun terrain scaling and figuring out different ways of making the land more fun to navigate.

@Sila.6748 said:

@Kabuki Theatre.9752 said:Well, at least yo have a well-reasoned, articulate,and non-judgemental response.

With all that said - you can still very much enjoy guild wars with the limitations in mind. We'll never have free flying, but the Skyscale is pretty good at horizontal movement and precision landing. Especially in comparison to the griffon - the griffon has speed, which the skyscale doesn't. Skyscale can land on tiny branches and ledges that e ven the springer can't manage to grab onto easily. Gliding works fairly well in some of the HoT/Ls3 maps and when you combine them with mounts, you get a lot of fun terrain scaling and figuring out different ways of making the land more fun to navigate.

Sila,

I really appreciate your response.

But still,

give me a second here,

I'm so wanting a bird that can fly free,

free over all landscapes,free over any artificial barriers,

just free . . . .

Free Flying,do you judge me that??

Yes, I had that in WoW, and it was wonderful,an exhilarating feeling,just ultimate freedom, without constraints,

Do You Understand That?

@Kabuki Theatre.9752 said:

@"Trise.2865" said:Three words: "fly-over zones". You play WoW, so you know what that term means, and why GW2 should avoid it like the plague.

Please explain to me in plain words,how a bird,behaving exactly like a real bird,is somehow artificial?

It isn't. They already do. But that's not the point. The point is players being able to fly is a bad thing for the game.

But if you insist on this line: It's because they're lugging your heavy butt around, messing up their aerodynamics.

@"Warscythes.9307" said:A flying mount renders land-based mount obsolete.

It only would if it was actually faster. For a good portion of Core and part of PoF/LWS4 the Beetle makes every other mount "obsolete" for getting across. Jackal is also pretty pointless due to how much better the Raptor was other than for portals or going up a hill, and them Skimmer is worthless as even just Springer->Griffon would be better other than if you had to do something under water (rare) . Also, keep in mind some maps are impossible to fly through, due to invisible barriers. In HoT maps, like Auric Basin, you can't use the Griffon straight across for example. In many situations Griffon would still be better for quickly "gliding" across a map compared to slow flying if Skyscale could fly. Slowly flying also puts you more at risk compared to just quickly gliding with Griffon, Beetle on land, or even just Raptor on maps with long range enemies that can quickly dismount.

In regards to developers not wanting flying so people can't skip "content", that would mean mounts as they are would have to be removed. Core/HoT were not balanced around maps, and Beetle/Griffon/Raptor let you skip across maps to your destination. Even in PoF, it doesn't matter other than the rare instances with auto-dismounts. After the introduction of mounts, the masteries that were included with them, in addition to the masteries added with LWS4 only served to encourage skipping; evasions when using endurance, endurance regen allowing for greater temporary movement and more evades, donating your HP bar to your mount before the mount's personal HP drops to zero, and then there's Bond of Faith. Better off just being honest and saying you don't want flying mounts because you think it's "cool" to not have it since WoW has it. same argument people had for not wanting mounts in the first place.

I personally don't care if they add a mount that flies or not, as in the end, nothing much changes and I probably would rarely use it, as I only use mounts for point A to B, this means I'll use the best one available if I'm in a rush, otherwise, just Jackal.

@Trise.2865 said:

@Trise.2865 said:Three words: "fly-over zones". You play WoW, so you know what that term means, and why GW2 should avoid it like the plague.

Please explain to me in plain words,how a bird,behaving exactly like a real bird,is somehow artificial?

, but that's not the point. The point is
players
being able to fly is a bad thing for the game.

Why?Why is it so problematic that players can fly?

@Yamazuki.6073 said:

@"Warscythes.9307" said:A flying mount renders land-based mount obsolete.

It only would if it was actually faster. For a good portion of Core and part of PoF/LWS4 the Beetle makes every other mount "obsolete" for getting across. Jackal is also pretty pointless due to how much better the Raptor was other than for portals or going up a hill, and them Skimmer is worthless as even just Springer->Griffon would be better other than if you had to do something under water (rare) . Also, keep in mind some maps are impossible to fly through, due to invisible barriers. In HoT maps, like Auric Basin, you can't use the Griffon straight across for example. In many situations Griffon would still be better for quickly "gliding" across a map compared to slow flying if Skyscale could fly. Slowly flying also puts you more at risk compared to just quickly gliding with Griffon, Beetle on land, or even just Raptor on maps with long range enemies that can quickly dismount.

In regards to developers not wanting flying so people can't skip "content", that would mean mounts as they are would have to be removed. Core/HoT were not balanced around maps, and Beetle/Griffon/Raptor let you skip across maps to your destination. Even in PoF, it doesn't matter other than the rare instances with auto-dismounts. After the introduction of mounts, the masteries that were included with them, in addition to the masteries added with LWS4 only served to encourage skipping; evasions when using endurance, endurance regen allowing for greater temporary movement and more evades, donating your HP bar to your mount before the mount's personal HP drops to zero, and then there's Bond of Faith. Better off just being honest and saying you don't want flying mounts because you think it's "cool" to not have it since WoW has it. same argument people had for not wanting mounts in the first place.

I personally don't care if they add a mount that flies or not, as in the end, nothing much changes and I probably would rarely use it, as I only use mounts for point A to B, this means I'll use the best one available if I'm in a rush, otherwise, just Jackal.

Another, well-thought-outexcellent,and intelligent response.

Kudos to you.

@"Kabuki Theatre.9752" said:Sila,

But still,

give me a second here,

just free . . . .

Yes, I had that in WoW, and it was wonderful,an exhilarating feeling,just ultimate freedom, without constraints,

Do You Understand That?

Understanding doesn't mean it's going to happen though. It goes against what the developers want, it goes against what the game is about. It's like saying "I wish Mcdonalds fries were more like burger king's" - they are two different things and they won't change to be like the other.

@Kabuki Theatre.9752 said:

@Trise.2865 said:Three words: "fly-over zones". You play WoW, so you know what that term means, and why GW2 should avoid it like the plague.

players

And suddenly you can't remember. Are you just here to troll like most WoW players?

It would be cool to be able to fly around freely with Griffon, but that would indeed break the game. You would be able to avoid anything you want, all the time. With Griffon you gotta be in a high spot to make the best of it, and so do other mounts have specific uses. To be honest the game is already broken with Griffon. You dont really need any other mount to get wherever you want to go. Just with it (and some times Springer is needed) you can get anywhere, very fast and safely. I just think Griffon being able to fly freely would break the game even more.

@Sila.6748 said:

@"Kabuki Theatre.9752" said:Sila,

But still,

give me a second here,

just free . . . .

Do You Understand That?

Understanding doesn't mean it's going to happen though. It goes against what the developers want, it goes against what the game is about. It's like saying "I wish Mcdonalds fries were more like burger king's" - they are two different things and they won't change to be like the other.

I know it's not going to happen.I was born at night, but it wasn't last night.Hmmm.

Just, just, just . .

I know what it's like to fly a bird,unhindered,flutter free,uninhibited,totally without boundaries.

God, I miss that in GW2,I really miss it.

@Warscythes.9307 said:

@Kabuki Theatre.9752 said:how a bird,behaving exactly like a real bird,is somehow artificial?

No one is making that argument.Because (a) a Griffon is not a bird, (b) a Griffon doesn't exist in our world, © and everything in GW2 is artificial in some way besides the obvious.

There are, however, lots of reasons why it would be bad for Guild Wars 2, and fine for other games.
  • GW2 already allows skipping zones by use of waypoints; mount travel is slower.
  • Other games tend to have more stuff that people want to skip; generally, all zones in GW2 have potentially interesting areas.
  • Everything in GW2 is balanced (theoretically). Each mount is setup to have their own niche, to be less useful in some arenas. Each is setup to have advantages/disadvantages compared to 'walking'.

In the end, it's a design choice: it's more fun this way (in ANet's opinion, and that of many players).

Actually, it seems otherwise . . .GW2 wants you to spend the time, energy, blood, sweat, tears and(not insignificantly)GOLD,to acquire a half-dozen or more mounts to accomplish the same thingthat twowould easily accomplish:A land-based creature,and a Bird.

A flying mount renders land-based mount obsolete.

The main reason is simply that having a flying mount makes a huge amount of open world content and map design useless. Why bother designing terrain elevation and shortcuts if players can simply fly over it? Why have these random events that spawn when players will just fly over them? A major strength of GW2 is the open world content. Look at WoW and FFXIV whose open world content has been meh at best and free flying is a cause for it. Not to mention if you ask the players, free flying is not exactly something that is unanimously liked. If you want players to engage in open world over and over again, then you cannot allow this sort of easy travel.

Also please stop typing with a new line after every word, is obnoxious.

Ascended armor makes masterwork armor COMPLETELY obsolete. There is no reason an actual flying mount couldn't exist in GW2.You progress through the game, you get (or craft) armor that is better and you use it. Salvaging the old (never to use it again).You progress through the game, you get (or craft) a better weapon and you use it. Salvaging the old (never to use it again).There is nothing preventing them from just making a flying mount. They can always add content that requires the use of the old ones, but it isn't going to hurt the game or the other mounts to have a flying one. Players will adjust, the mobs in game may adjust and start shooting people out of the sky, who knows.

What worries me most about mounts, is that this is all they have for us. Occasional new maps, but the NEW content is just a new mount, to sell new mount skins.Everyone always jokes that the game is just Fashion Wars, but I really don't want a new mount every 9 or so months, just to keep the gem store going.I would rather they make the mount fly like any flying creature should, and make new content that is actual content, not a gimmick to sell skins for cash.I'd rather they just make the game have a monthly sub.

@Trise.2865 said:

players

And suddenly you can't remember. Are you just here to troll like most WoW players?

No, not at all.

I'm just reminiscing about how great it was to have a great bird,and fly with it unrestricted at all . . . .

totally free in the sky . . .

what a great feeling that was.

@Trise.2865 said:

It isn't.
. But that's not the point. The point is
players

But if you insist on this line: It's because they're lugging your heavy butt around, messing up their aerodynamics.

Especially if you play a Charr. ? Love my Charr but she looks so ridiculous on mounts.

@Lady Celtaine.3760 said:

It isn't.
. But that's not the point. The point is
players

Especially if you play a Charr. ? Love my Charr but she looks so ridiculous on mounts.

Why would you possibly say your character looks "ridiculous" on anything?

That's self-judgemental that doesn't help you , or your character, at all.

Your character looks no more ridiculous than any other GW2 looks on their mounts at allYou undoubtedly look fabulous on your critter.Good for you.

So realism talk:Bird's are hollow boned. They can only "freely" fly because they are build to not weight very much at all.afaik only hummingbirds can hover in place and they are probably by far the most specially built and lightly boned of all birds. They are a rare outside case so I'm going to consider them unimportant

Main issue: "free" flight in birds is mostly possible because birds are very light. And even birds have limited flight. But even they can't just fly forever and hover in place without ever landing.

Have you looked at the skyscale? They are chonky af. There's no way that thing is as light as bird of that size would be. They are too muscular and heavy. It's already a suspension of disbelief to accept that they can hover in place.

And in the end. They are not birds, do not try and apply bird logic to them.

Game mechanics talk:GW2 is specifically designed that it wants players to interact with the world. Dynamic events, map completion, etc. It's all about the game design of wanting players to be participating in the world.Having free flight would go against this philosophy.

GW2 is not WoW or any other MMO. They implemented their mounts in a unique way that I, and others I am sure, feel is part of what makes GW2 mounts better than other MMO mounts. Asking them to be made just like other MMO mounts is a little silly, why not just accept that this game is different? Games are allowed to be different, they don't have to have something just because others have it.

To answer the initial question posed by the title of your thread - because the devs don't want it to.

We can dance around the physics of Tyria vs Earth, or a million other possibilities as to why GW2 mounts only glide or gain elevation for very brief, restricted durations, but the plain and simple fact is, the devs have not had the inclination to implement a mount that just flies.

Whether or not an individual believes a fully free flying mount would ruin the experience of exploring the world is another case, but it's false to assume that Anet keep "getting it wrong" when they in fact haven't even tried to add a fully flying mount to their game.

They impose these "artificial restrictions" to their "flying" mounts to encourage a mixed use of all mounts, which by their design philosophy, they believe provides a better experience.

TL;DR - the mounts in GW2 don't fly because the developers of GW2 don't want their mounts to fly.

That said, have you seen people with true mastery of the Griffon mount? They do seem to be able to fully gain and lower altitude however they please at jet fighter like speeds. I'm trash with the Griffon, but I have been lead to believe from videos that it is in fact capable of complete flight in the right hands.