@Matoro.9708 said:Custom music still isn't working. I really tried everything for days and days, but to no avail. It sounds like the whole thing will get broken anyways soon, which is depressing, because I only have access to my relative's mac and nothing else as I'm quite broke. If it gets hosed, bye fellas.

It is a bit of a hack but what I do is have custom itunes playlists for each character. It would be great if the different things (zone change, battle, etc) could fire off events but priorities.

• Replies 980
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@PadmaPhala.1824 said:

@PadmaPhala.1824 said:Is there any update on making the Coherent UI Host process 64 bit instead of 32 bit?

Do we know that is the only 32 bit dependency in the 64 bit app? If so does anyone know if there is a workaround?

Yes, I think it is the only 32 bit process when GW2 is running.

What does the process do though? Given I only see the message now and then though I wonder if it is something we can live without?

@Menadena.7482 said:

@PadmaPhala.1824 said:Is there any update on making the Coherent UI Host process 64 bit instead of 32 bit?

Do we know that is the only 32 bit dependency in the 64 bit app? If so does anyone know if there is a workaround?

What does the process do though? Given I only see the message now and then though I wonder if it is something we can live without?

I don't work for ArenaNet and I could very easily be wrong but my understanding is that the CoherentUIHost is used for things like the Black Lion Trading Post. Essentially it allows them to embed Google Chrome within the game for showing web content without having to open a separate browser.

It should be fairly straightforward to swap it out for a 64-bit version but then I don't work for ArenaNet so couldn't say for sure.

@HippieJoel.9537 said:

I don't work for ArenaNet and I could very easily be wrong but my understanding is that the CoherentUIHost is used for things like the Black Lion Trading Post. Essentially it allows them to embed Google Chrome within the game for showing web content without having to open a separate browser.

It should be fairly straightforward to swap it out for a 64-bit version but then I don't work for ArenaNet so couldn't say for sure.

Thanks, interesting that the only times I saw it were on launching the game but it might have been preloading it. For most things another alternative may be logging on to a windows box.

@"Menadena.7482" said:Is anyone in the dev program? Can you get the client to work in 10.15 without the store or does the whole thing break?

Since Anet has been silent on this, the only option for Mac users that want to continue playing Guild Wars 2 is to not update to Catalina. I will update anyway, probably after the first x.x.1 update.

Apple informed developers that macOS Mojave is the last version of macOS to run 32-bit apps.from: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208436

Is there any update on making the Coherent UI Host process 64 bit instead of 32 bit?

FYI : CoherentUIHost would be likely purchased and licensed through Coherent labs. They actively develop it for many platforms. Anet may need to pony up the cash for an updated SDK. I can't image Coherent Labs would have changed their API. With a current license agreement for the SDK, it should be largely plug and play.. I'm no expert, just thinking...

Soooooo, does this mean that GW2 Mac 64-bit would/should/possibly/maybe run OK on the coming 64-bit only Mac OS 10.15 Catalina?I AM close to actually getting a new Mac, and probably during this year 2019, and I definitely want to continue enjoying (although at somewhat a lower graphics settings...) GW2. Can't just stop playing when you've already committed to crafting legendary Exordium [&AgG3YQEA], as I just recently finished crafting the pre Exitare [&AgEDYwEA]. ;)

BTW, as I've asked before, WHERE are the Mac devs at ANet? Shy to come out and say Hi! to the Mac GW2 community here?Or, new corporate policies making it unable to 'talk' here?Knock knock! Please come out, and feed us Mac GW2-ers some much needed updates and future visions, positive AND negative, anything, and wishfully everything.

@"Sznurek.8791" said:Apple added a guide to bridge OpenGL programs to Metal and is recommending to move. I am not sure if this will be useful for the devs but I decided to post it here just in case.https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/wwdc2019/611/

Metal, please!!! And NOW!!! So much better graphics, with much lower system and hardware requirements.I really hope the ANet's roadmap for Mac 64-bit GW2 is already set to be ported to full-Metal compliant AND fully 64-bit, and to happen soon, or rather IS happening at this very moment.

Can't wait, ANet!

@PadmaPhala.1824 said:This is what Coherent Labs replied:

Coherent UI is a deprecated product, but we've given the source code and all libraries to ArenaNet. Since we no longer support the product, it would be best to reach out to them directly.

@Menadena.7482 said:They upgraded relatively recently .... to include a deprecated product?

Which makes about as much sense as rewriting everything to make it 64 bit but leaving in a 32 bit dependency.

:astonished:

VERY BAD PLANNING...

Latest roadmap, please ANet!

I honestly wouldn't worry about the use of CoherentUI. If they've given the code and related libraries to Anet then it stands to reason that it shouldn't be too involved to port it over to 64-bit and get it working. It's just understandably not a priority.

Truth be told (and I promise I don't mean to fearmonger with this) but my guess is that ArenaNet don't have anyone working on the Mac client as such, but that isn't really an issue - my understanding is that Jon's work essentially allowed the Windows client to be cross-compiled for macOS from the same codebase, meaning that as long as the Windows client is maintained, the Mac client will be too.

The real question is how API-agnostic the game's renderer is - when they start adding in say, new graphical features, how well that'll port over to OpenGL, but regardless, I wouldn't worry.

@HippieJoel.9537 said:I honestly wouldn't worry about the use of CoherentUI. If they've given the code and related libraries to Anet then it stands to reason that it shouldn't be too involved to port it over to 64-bit and get it working. It's just understandably not a priority.

Truth be told (and I promise I don't mean to fearmonger with this) but my guess is that ArenaNet don't have anyone working on the Mac client as such, but that isn't really an issue - my understanding is that Jon's work essentially allowed the Windows client to be cross-compiled for macOS from the same codebase, meaning that as long as the Windows client is maintained, the Mac client will be too.

The real question is how API-agnostic the game's renderer is - when they start adding in say, new graphical features, how well that'll port over to OpenGL, but regardless, I wouldn't worry.

My worry is if there is precisely 0 support. It may just be a matter of changing a setting and recompiling .... but if nobody does it there will not be a 64 bit client. This is where public domain clients prevent this sort of a problem. Someone in the user community will want it solved enough to fix the issue.

@HippieJoel.9537 said:Truth be told (and I promise I don't mean to fearmonger with this) but my guess is that ArenaNet don't have anyone working on the Mac client as such, but that isn't really an issue - my understanding is that Jon's work essentially allowed the Windows client to be cross-compiled for macOS from the same codebase, meaning that as long as the Windows client is maintained, the Mac client will be too.

THIS is why I and others have been asking frequently for the Mac 'lead' at Anet, if any, to come out and say Hi! to our community.Really sad that still no one at Anet has said Hi! to us yet... :anguished:

I guess the 'cross-compiling' part is most important now for us Mac GW2-ers, and if no present nor continuing optimization of this part at ANet to match well with the latest Mac OS and graphic API like Metal, very much worrisome future indeed. Than again, Mac client may live like now, somewhat in the shadows, as long as WIN$ client and the GW2 game itself stays alive. At least, we can continue to play GW2, for a while, although not at optional condition.

Still makes me worry..

@HippieJoel.9537 said:

@PadmaPhala.1824 said:With the release of Catalina, Anet shouldn't sell Guild Wars 2 for MacOS if there is no full 64-bit client.

Give them some time - I'm sure they can work on getting the dependencies up and running in 64 bit.

But is there even a Mac team any more to work on it? There has been a lack of ANY feedback on this thread since the layoffs, while they've increased communication everywhere else. The Mac client was clearly low-priority before, now I have to wonder if it's being quietly abandoned.