No sound in game. Otherwise sound is fine.

Hi all,

I have a really weird sound issue going on here. Yesterday, I reset my laptop to factory default in order to give it to my brother this coming weekend (MSI gaming laptop). He plays GW2 as well. So I installed a fresh copy of the game and noticed that the sound was a little off. It was like everything was coming through a tin can. So I updated the audio driver, and everything sounded fine in and out of game.

But MSI computers also use some program called Nahimic that does some extra boosting to the sounds. So I installed the latest Nahimic, and found that there's no longer any sound when I play GW2. But it seems to be fine everywhere else (YouTube, internet, etc). I looked at all the sound settings in game and couldn't find any obvious solution at all. Every slider was maxed out, etc.

Im going to see my brother tomorrow, and would love to get this issue fixed. Unfortunately, Im stuck at work until late tonight, and wont be able to mess with this any more until then. But does anyone have any ideas what could be going on here? Thanks!

@Fallesafe.5932 said:I didn't see a separate slider for GW2 when I opened the sound panel last night. But I'll definitely check into that when I get home tonight. Thanks for the suggestion!

It'll only be shown when GW2 is capable of playing sound, so once you reach the character select. Also check any other playback devices you may have, and under GW2's sound options, you can specifically set which playback device to use.

@Healix.5819 said:

@Fallesafe.5932 said:I didn't see a separate slider for GW2 when I opened the sound panel last night. But I'll definitely check into that when I get home tonight. Thanks for the suggestion!

It'll only be shown when GW2 is capable of playing sound, so once you reach the character select. Also check any other playback devices you may have, and under GW2's sound options, you can specifically set which playback device to use.

Ok, good info thanks! It's gotta be something simple like this.

• 5 months later...

If anyone else runs across this thread, the above mentioned tips didn't work for me. what DID work for me ended up being specific to ASUS computers. One of the pre-installed programs is called Sonic Suite 3. I went through all of my startup windows services and my startup programs, one by painstaking one. I have just done a quick test with all of my windows services turned on and every startup program enabled, except for Sonic Studio 3 (currently installed version is 3.6.36.49401), and the game has all audio. When I enabled it again and restarted, the audio turned back off.

So I'm confident this is the program causing it, and I'm going around to all the different forums with this one fix for ASUS computer owners.

• 4 weeks later...

@OtterButter.5904 said:If anyone else runs across this thread, the above mentioned tips didn't work for me. what DID work for me ended up being specific to ASUS computers. One of the pre-installed programs is called Sonic Suite 3. I went through all of my startup windows services and my startup programs, one by painstaking one. I have just done a quick test with all of my windows services turned on and every startup program enabled, except for Sonic Studio 3 (currently installed version is 3.6.36.49401), and the game has all audio. When I enabled it again and restarted, the audio turned back off.

So I'm confident this is the program causing it, and I'm going around to all the different forums with this one fix for ASUS computer owners.

Did you manage to find a fix for Sonic Suite 3? I think I'm having the same problem.

• 8 months later...

@OtterButter.5904 said:If anyone else runs across this thread, the above mentioned tips didn't work for me. what DID work for me ended up being specific to ASUS computers. One of the pre-installed programs is called Sonic Suite 3. I went through all of my startup windows services and my startup programs, one by painstaking one. I have just done a quick test with all of my windows services turned on and every startup program enabled, except for Sonic Studio 3 (currently installed version is 3.6.36.49401), and the game has all audio. When I enabled it again and restarted, the audio turned back off.

Thanks so much I play with a Alienware laptop and have had no sound for over 3 month. Like you I constantly checked my settings and the above instructions to no avail.however today I went to my system start up options and disabled most programs I don't want running and also disable two sound programs one from alien and another. Then after a quick shut down and restart I launched the game and out of nowhere I started dancing to the in game sound :))Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

I solved the problem for myself. I am using ASUS ROG Strix. What I did was open Sonic Studio 3 > Sonic Studio > Advanced Mode, then under Application Manager, I had Device Routing off, and Sonic Studio Effects on. I then selected in the dropdown selection in the right "Current Applications." After that, I opened my Guild Wars 2 client and directly managed my application in Sonic Studio 3 named as "Guild Wars 2 Game Client - Gw2-64.exe.exe." Problem Solved.

• 1 year later...