Thinking about making a WvW montage, looking for opinions

Shroud.2307

I've provided a short video with a few mostly unedited clips of my gameplay for critique. Do you think it'd be worth watching a full montage of my gameplay? Are there any tips you would like to give?

I know I should just go ahead and do it if I want to do it, it's not like it's the end of the world if it isn't 10/10 gameplay. But I'm a little self conscious and not sure I feel like dedicating the time to make a full montage if I can find out beforehand what the feedback might be like.

Also, I'd like to state for the record that my keybinds are absolutely horrid thanks to having a minor physical disability (poor co-ordination/fine motor skills). The only comfortable way for me to play is with a trackpad and all my skills on the far right of my keyboard. I don't include my cursor in recordings so it's less obvious that I'm not using a mouse.

Anywhoo, thanks for stopping by.

Unedited clip from No Downed State week:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEHeTXpGtkI

Miscellaneous roaming, group and 1v1 clips:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASEoBWDgKKk

@"SpellOfIniquity.1780" said:I've provided a short video with a few mostly unedited clips of my gameplay for critique. Do you think it'd be worth watching a full montage of my gameplay? Are there any tips you would like to give?

I know I should just go ahead and do it if I want to do it, it's not like it's the end of the world if it isn't 10/10 gameplay. But I'm a little self conscious and not sure I feel like dedicating the time to make a full montage if I can find out beforehand what the feedback might be like.

Also, I'd like to state for the record that my keybinds are absolutely horrid thanks to having a minor physical disability (poor co-ordination/fine motor skills). The only comfortable way for me to play is with a trackpad and all my skills on the far right of my keyboard. I don't include my cursor in recordings so it's less obvious that I'm not using a mouse.

Anywhoo, thanks for stopping by.

Unedited clip from No Downed State week:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEHeTXpGtkI

Miscellaneous roaming, group and 1v1 clips:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASEoBWDgKKk

I haven’t seen the clips, but from my expierence the only thing people care about is

A. music choiceB. video qualityC. running meta

You could be the best player in th universe but if you don’t meet those criteria people will just constantly remind you that the music sucks, or that your off meta build sucks or that your gameplay quality sucks.some people will try to find every little thing that bothers them, and others will actually care about your gameplay and that your a good player. 99% of people don’t read YouTube descriptions or comments either so get used to explaining why your keybinds are arranged a certain way due to a disability, over and over again.

@"SpellOfIniquity.1780" said:I know I should just go ahead and do it if I want to do it, it's not like it's the end of the world if it isn't 10/10 gameplay. But I'm a little self conscious and not sure I feel like dedicating the time to make a full montage if I can find out beforehand what the feedback might be like.

The one thing I learned is that we have to be prepared for salt/toxic comments whenever we post anything on the internet.There will always be folks out there who are ready to down-vote and insult your content.They could be the people you've defeated in your video, their guild members, their friends, people you offended in the past, or even strangers in a bad mood.Learning to ignore non-constructive criticism is important if you want to start posting montages.Don't let those petty guys sour your day ;)

That said, I think you can combine both Justice's and Justine's feedback above. Wow double Js B)

• Music choice and video editing is very important if you're out to build a viewer-base. As Justice says, it is sometimes more important than showing skills. A large group of folks watching our videos are watching it for entertainment. Not so much for skill :/
  • The quality of your opponents are also important if you want to capture the smaller group of viewers as Justine says - those who are looking for skillful game-play against quality opponents.

For example,

. His skills showed are okay. But his opponents are meh.Many other necro videos out there show better skills but got much fewer viewers.Of course, the pinnacle probably belongs to Holts, with good gameplay and decent editing.

I've watched both your videos and must say you're pretty good on a Reaper too.Your play-style resembles a combination of Holt's and Solovet's play-style.No issues there skill-wise.I belong to the smaller group of viewers who are watching for skillful game-play so I would definitely watch your montages if they include fights against skilled opponents.

Ya just saw the vids now that i'm home. The 2nd video real nice gameplay and decision making. (also the quality is nice so you shouldn't have problems there.)

If you are gonna make a montage, pick good music... I'll give you a place to start

"TANGERINE DREAM."

Look that up and nobody can say your taste in music is bad...if they do they're a little millennial kitten head.

Well I am biased and everything, but I would love to see more. Personally, I will often mute roaming videos because the music is usually pretty terrible on most montages, so that has never been a big factor for me. I also think over-editing is obnoxious and takes away from the actual gameplay. Like some roaming videos I have seen are so incredibly overedited that they make me just stop watching them because every little thing that is done is made out to be some epic thing when really it is not. Ultimately what it comes down to for me is wanting to see impressive gameplay, like how you outjuked the Mesmer in SMC with Spectral Walk. That brought a smile to my face.Instaganking people or exploiting super broken builds aren't very interesting to me if that is all there is to it. I like seeing people make quick and intelligent decisions and really adapting to the fight. There are so many macro-players that literally go through the same exact rotation with no thought put into it, like Soulbeasts Smoke Assaulting, knocking down, and using Worldly Impact. When somebody displays adaptive knowledge that they truly understand the class, their matchups, the terrain, and their environment, I am immediately a fan. Not that I am an expert in the matter...this is just from a personal taste standpoint for me. Although I am a trash Necro player with very minimal experience with the class, they are some of my favorite videos to watch. I know I've mentioned it to you before, but I am a sucker for good Wurm and Spectral Walk plays.

Personally, I prefer slow-motion captures showing what skills were used and the result while people explain why a particular skill chain was used or how to play.

Videos that say, "I did such and such to defend against a stealthed thief," or "This bear-bow was trolling me so I did this," are what I like to watch.

Sometimes I will even spot a video that describes general approaches for how to perform a role like zerg AoE pressure or how to use siege.

Anyway, educational videos are more fun for me. I do not need music or super-speed montages.