Content Creators

The only videos I regularly pay any heed to are Dulfy's demonstrations of finding complicated spots or JPs, or her demonstrations of new skins of various sorts. When she hasn't done a skins video I look at other content creators' work and find it dwells over long on irrelevant material or far too many camera circles that leave me motion sick, or wants to natter on about personal opinions of the appearances.

Any other videos tend to keep the camera too close to the character and randomly move the pov so I am nauseated in seconds. Even Wooden Potatoes I have to only listen too since his screen material seldom has anything to do with what he's discussing and is a lot of movement.

So if you're looking to create useful, watched content, take a look at how Dulfy does it. No longer than it needs to be to show routes and looks, steady camera work, no voiceover. If the information could be conveyed with text and pictures, I would rather see that than have to devote all my attention for twenty minutes to learn something I could have read in three paragraphs in under a minute.

I wonder if it would help if GW2 artificially inflated viewer numbers on Twitch by doing give-aways like Elder Scrolls Online and some other games do. It doesn't increase numbers of actual viewers - people are very open on that game's forum that all they do is log into the site, select a channel and then minimise the tab, or log in on a phone or tablet and then turn the screen off. But the website still counts it as if they're watching, and since the numbers automatically recorded seem to be the important thing it might help. But I'm not sure if that's actually any good for the people making the videos.

@sinsrock.1702 said:a guy here a while ago posted a short story made up about his thief as if it was his friend and as the Balance patches came his thief became more and more weak he attatched it to the sickness.I rly loved it and was actualy for a short period of time trying to do something similiar = write something on this kind of noteLike : The last Daredevilor something like that you know but then i simply stopped caring since i have already invested my time into writing and let me tell you it is not proffitable nor worth itBUT if some YT content creator was to make it like lets saySeries of a short clips 5 min long each could together be a storyI would definitelly go for it and try to write down somethingIf you want a picture of what i mean. Check Red vs Blue on the YTThat is the stuff I can imagine ppl would like done from GW2 and tbh game offers enough assets for it. sort of. I could imagine it being done from 3rd person perspective somehow. I Am not putting much thought in it rn. But if you are interested we can talk.

Also the majority of the conent this game produces is just gameplayWhich can carry you only that far = until all players already know how to play the game and new players simply learn it from ppl in game''How I play the game'' type of videos are lame at best and that is why they dont get watches.You want to make content? Make content that has purpose or a story that sort of makes watchers inclined to check it outTo watch how a mesmer wrecks 5 man squad in PvP got boring at 2017

All I can offer the op is what I like or don't like with a bit of why. Generally I look for GW2 videos on youtube when I'm stuck someplace and need a guide, am looking for build ideas, or am wanting to see what a new skin looks like. A straight forward, focused, and concise offering of information works best for me. I don't watch other people playing a game because that seems boring to me. If a person is frenetically trying to be funny and/or has a grating voice, I turn off the video. Same thing with long, meandering monologues or with extended ranting.

There are three GW2 content creators who stick out to me. The primary one is of course Dulfy. She's my first go to whenever I need a guide. Hopefully she's okay and will return at some point. The second is The Herald. Her profession videos really helped me in my early days here and I enjoy her fashion war videos. Plus, she also has an almost hypnotic voice that I love listening to. The third is Cellofrag. I actually joined Patreon just to send him a little support every month. His gold farming and elementalist videos have been particularly helpful to me. I love his cello music and he also does incredible giveaways on a regular basis.

All this of course is only one person's opinions and I'm not sure it helps identify any open niches but it's the best response I can give the op about what kind of content creators I prefer.

The guildwars 2 community is filled with people who have jobs,kids or have gw2 as their secondary game,the casual nature of the game caters to these type of people,i am in some of the casual categories and i even come from a hardcore mmo background,pvp-er,guild leader etc. but i am past my mmo gaming prime and that's why i play GW2,because i can relax and even sometimes do some "hardcore" stuff but there is no way i waste my time with content created by youtubers or watch twitch...i have better things to do and let's be honest,there isn't much quality in the gw2 stuff on youtube or twitch.

I'm probably not the target audience for 'content creators' so I'm not sure how useful my opinion is, but here goes... I only watch game videos that have a clear purpose, focus, or concept, and that pretty much exclusively contain active gameplay footage. If a video focusses on the creator rather than the content, there's no chance of me being interested.

For GW2 there are pretty much only two types of video I'm likely to watch: achievement/jumping puzzle guides (which I only watch if I'm really stuck) and build guides. In both cases, I want the video to be no longer than it needs to be, with only genuinely helpful (and subtitled) commentary if there is any. If I see anything that isn't active gameplay footage, or where someone is fighting a training golem, I'll skip it - and if the video is mostly like that, I'll find another one.

I have tried to watch other types of GW2 video, but I didn't really find them interesting. A while ago I tried to get into Wooden Potatoes, but I find that he takes 45 minutes to say something he could have said more effectively in 5 minutes, and visuals are often unrelated or only tangentially related to the rambly commentary. I've also tried a few times to get into watching the competitive modes, but I think, for me at least, this game just isn't made for spectators. It's not just the visual noise, lack of player character collision, and the fact that you need an in-depth knowledge of all the skills to know what's going on - it's also that PvP and WvW don't have very well-defined objectives, so there's no real sense of progression towards a goal. I think this would apply to gameplay montages as well (for any game) - there's a danger that they'll only show you what the gameplay looks like, but take away any sense of purpose behind it.

I did watch the whole of the Living World Season 1 film once, and I thought that was very good (though a little heavy-handed with the exposition). I was going to say "if it was still available to play, I wouldn't have watched the film", but I'm not sure that's true - I actually did play some of it at the time, but I found some of it boring and other parts didn't work properly for me (massive lag in group events), so I actually gave up on GW2 and played GW1 instead...

@Fatherbliss.4701 said:I've done research for my own business purposes on this topic and generally content comes down to a few key varieties:

1. Humorous
  2. Highly competitive best in class play
  3. Instructional - guides, walk through videos. Showing people how to complete some task
  4. Entertaining - Huge category with a number of variables

I'd add to that 5. Reviews. That said, reviews of GW2 seem a bit redundant to me because of the free-to-play version. I guess reviews of HoT and PoF could be helpful, but there are probably plenty already. My experience is that amateur reviews are often not actually that helpful, since they're likely to focus too heavily on one particular feature and/or miss the point of certain elements of the game design.

• 2 weeks later...

As a viewer I prefer to watch humorous videos. Noxxi, the Noxxian creates great short meme clips that always make me giggle. Silverdisc has a few videos where he and his guild tries to Raid, which doesn't work out very well but they have a great time and laugh together and it's hilarious to watch.Sometimes I watch gameplay but only if it's like first impressions of certain story elements (eg reactions to when Aurene died etc). If needed I always seek out guides for JP's and similar tasks.What I notice lack is videos telling a story, where the creators craft something unique for their characters. Or something simple like appreciation videos for mounts. (These I've seen a bunch, especially for the Griffon mount and I enjoyed a lot of them)

Myself as a content creator, I make stuff from the last category I mentioned above. I enjoy the most to tell a story no one else has seen, make my viewers feel emotions that'll leave a mark when the video is over.

Spoof videos for entertainment is about all i can think of. WoW has a big following for creators that make funny spoof videos, music vids, and fan created story vids, i have only seen a few for gw2. But i would go the entertainment route if it was me, one thing also that helps is casting players from the game. With wow a lot of the big content creators will post that they are looking for players to have parts in a video as their characters i mean. Its always good to get fans involved.

Content creators of the past where mostly pasionate players making creative videos of the game(s) they love. Most of the current content creators of now are just payed influencers, a cheap marketing tool. As someone already playing games for many years before the millenium, its quite disheartening to see the creative hobby creators with passion for the game(s) beeing replaced by marketing instruments claiming to be something they are not.