Current Meta PvP builds? Anyone Try anything that works?

EnderzShadow.2506

Well, I've been doing a bunch of build testing on my alt. I'm not really enjoying the current metagame - it's like I'm playing an FPS game when it comes to killing or taking damage from anything but Bunk Scrapper or Support Firebrand.

At the end of the day I've just ended up taking on what Boyce runs. His utility and Rune choices "feel" better than a lot of the different variants I tried, even to the degree that I don't feel the the loss of Troll Unguent to be that key of a factor in this high burst meta.

Here's his most recent stream, he swaps to and starts showing off the build around the 5:55 timestamp:https://www.twitch.tv/videos/421987238?t=00h05m55s

@EnderzShadow.2506 said:If you see me on-- or if you want to mention it here, how do you deal with bunker scraps and eles?

Just using the build I have shown to you. A lot of engaging and disengaging, pet swap. The most important thing is to CC them with all you've got. Basically (or theoretically) you have 7 CC! If you manage to hit them with all 7 CC, then they should die. Another thing is to not stay too much in beast form, because you need/must benefit from Clarion Bond and Zephyr's Speed and ofc that Forage (if you are lucky with plasma, they will be melted under your damage+Sic 'Em).Always when I killed an Ele or Engi, they complained next second that I have too much CC. (They have it too, but they don't count their CC, only when enemy CC them it is OP).Btw, when you are in Beastmode with Siamoth, after using Brutal Charge (F2) use immediately Maul (F2), the damage is huge. I am still trying to manage to get Stealth using Smoke Cloud from Smokescale and then Brutal Charge ... but often I forget about this option :) ... shame on me ... Usual I am getting Stealth from GS Swoop (Skill 3) and Wordly Impact (F3) combined with Smoke Cloud ofc. Most of the time I forget about Brutal Charge.

Regards,

Dragonzhunter

@Eurantien.4632 said:There's like like 4-5 rangers bouncing around top 50 all playing different things.

You got me, with MM/BM/SB lb/gs soldier runes and demo siamoth and smoke, moment of clarity and remorseless

You got Kiri, WS/BM/SB lb/gs Mara siamoth and smoke

You got mad lord of milk (this guy gives me the lols) running like zerker qz one wolf pack just to rapid fire people. I'm honestly amazed how high this has gotten him. BM/Sb/MM?? Just all pew pew

You got spirits (mime, fake mime?) who I think has had most success with a/a s/wh core ranger wringing a side noder with smoke and bristleback. Ws/nm/BM pala probably

Lexani mostly just standard boonbeast

Core marksmanship bm/ws with lb/gs and double dogs or smoke and wolf or smoke and tiger is also decent with remorseless and moment of clarity.

MadLordofMilk

I'd love to see some of this guys gameplay.

@"jcbroe.4329" said:Well, I've been doing a bunch of build testing on my alt. I'm not really enjoying the current metagame - it's like I'm playing an FPS game when it comes to killing or taking damage from anything but Bunk Scrapper or Support Firebrand.

At the end of the day I've just ended up taking on what Boyce runs. His utility and Rune choices "feel" better than a lot of the different variants I tried, even to the degree that I don't feel the the loss of Troll Unguent to be that key of a factor in this high burst meta.

Here's his most recent stream, he swaps to and starts showing off the build around the 5:55 timestamp:https://www.twitch.tv/videos/421987238?t=00h05m55s

Thanks--tried this and a few other things and Im coming back to this.

If some of you are interested, Build link below-- gameplay abovehttp://gw2skills.net/editor/?vNAQJATRnUqAN8itCCmsAs8ilJB7JIcB+Y592g7xtJA84mAn4AqTD-jpBHQB5rMwP2fAAHBAx9AAGwhAIgXAAA

@EnderzShadow.2506 said:

@"jcbroe.4329" said:Well, I've been doing a bunch of build testing on my alt. I'm not really enjoying the current metagame - it's like I'm playing an FPS game when it comes to killing or taking damage from anything but Bunk Scrapper or Support Firebrand.

Here's his most recent stream, he swaps to and starts showing off the build around the 5:55 timestamp:

If some of you are interested, Build link below-- gameplay above

Yeah absolutely. Unfortunately but understandably, there are not a ton of content creators for GW2, even less so that play at a high level in PvP, even less than that are insightful, understand the game, and don't just constantly make "streamer plays" then complain their team didn't carry their decisions (like Helseth used to on stream and some others tend to), and even less than all of that Ranger players.

I think we're down to Boyce, ROM, and Kiritsugu as the 3 people left putting out consistent content, and the latter only does WvW montages on youtube even though he performs consistently well in PvP.

I bring all of this up because it is SO DIFFICULT to learn from just build resource websites and the forums. A build posted with a generic "this is the good, this is the bad, you can do this to accomplish this" doesn't visualize the full scope of gameplay in a way where the resource can translate directly to gameplay. But now go and pick a streamer with a good build and playstyle and watch their gameplay for 20-30 minutes. After doing so, we start to pick up the "feel" of the build and what gameplay will look like with a similar sort of setup and actions (for better or worse, which is why finding consistent high skill gameplay is important).

More on the topic though, outside of that build, this is the other build I've played around with this season:10/10 do not recommend, this is just to facetank a point when no one else on the team can: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vNAQRBHPxG2JhKQFvYDvgLLALvYZSwyzt/2jrTk7yl5aCAPuJQJPoI-jpxHAB0XGAgjAgyHEA/fAAffCAWf/BA

Same deal as above but you might actually kill something or die to something: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vNAQRBHPxG2JhKQFvYDvgLLALvYZSwaCAPuJQeu93ecdicXuMXJPIN-jpxHABffCA8/BAo8BBY99HA4IAYfZAA

And here's one I want to try sometime within my last 30-40 games of the season (see if I actually end up on the leaderboards or if I just don't feel like finishing it out by the end, fluctuating between plat 1 and 2 spamming games with nothing to lose cuz I want more ascended armor): http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vNAQNBjYD7kQFoiXshXwlFglXsMJYNBgH3EwJyd5yc552f7xtkHkG-jpxHABKfQA8/BAYfZgvvAArv/AAHBAATanky traits/setup, some kill potential, but unlike either of the above LB can actually force a decap over time and the tanky damage classes still take enough damage that setups like this can threaten them.

But yeah, I don't recommend any of that to people who actually care about the season. The Sic Em (slight) variant that Boyce uses on stream is the first build Rangers have had in a long time that actually has carry potentially through quickly pushing kills. It's very sad to see that even though Chronos, Holos, Spellbreakers, and Heralds can all roll into a fight and 1 shot someone with like 3 button presses that the Sic Em build is what's being cried about, unless people like @Ben Phongluangtham.1065 recognize that Ranger receives a disproportionate amount of community vile when it has a viable build and that if damage needs to be reduced, it needs to be done across the board for the gamemode and all classes - not just in a vacuum.

Otherwise we'll just have another useless elite spec to put in the trashbin next to Druid for PvP.

@jcbroe.4329 said:

@jcbroe.4329 said:Well, I've been doing a bunch of build testing on my alt. I'm not really enjoying the current metagame - it's like I'm playing an FPS game when it comes to killing or taking damage from anything but Bunk Scrapper or Support Firebrand.

Here's his most recent stream, he swaps to and starts showing off the build around the 5:55 timestamp:

Yeah absolutely. Unfortunately but understandably, there are not a ton of content creators for GW2, even less so that play at a high level in PvP, even less than that are insightful, understand the game, and don't just constantly make "streamer plays" then complain their team didn't carry their decisions (like Helseth used to on stream and some others tend to), and even less than all of that Ranger players.

I think we're down to Boyce, ROM, and Kiritsugu as the 3 people left putting out consistent content, and the latter only does WvW montages on youtube even though he performs consistently well in PvP.

I bring all of this up because it is SO DIFFICULT to learn from just build resource websites and the forums. A build posted with a generic "this is the good, this is the bad, you can do this to accomplish this" doesn't visualize the full scope of gameplay in a way where the resource can translate directly to gameplay. But now go and pick a streamer with a good build and playstyle and watch their gameplay for 20-30 minutes. After doing so, we start to pick up the "feel" of the build and what gameplay will look like with a similar sort of setup and actions (for better or worse, which is why finding consistent high skill gameplay is important).

More on the topic though, outside of that build, this is the other build I've played around with this season:10/10 do not recommend, this is just to facetank a point when no one else on the team can:

Same deal as above but you might actually kill something or die to something:

And here's one I want to try sometime within my last 30-40 games of the season (see if I actually end up on the leaderboards or if I just don't feel like finishing it out by the end, fluctuating between plat 1 and 2 spamming games with nothing to lose cuz I want more ascended armor):
Tanky traits/setup, some kill potential, but unlike either of the above LB can actually force a decap over time and the tanky damage classes still take enough damage that setups like this can threaten them.

But yeah, I don't recommend any of that to people who actually care about the season. The Sic Em (slight) variant that Boyce uses on stream is the first build Rangers have had in a long time that actually has carry potentially through quickly pushing kills. It's very sad to see that even though Chronos, Holos, Spellbreakers, and Heralds can all roll into a fight and 1 shot someone with like 3 button presses that the Sic Em build is what's being cried about, unless people like @Ben Phongluangtham.1065 recognize that Ranger receives a disproportionate amount of community vile when it has a viable build and that if damage needs to be reduced, it needs to be done across the board for the gamemode and all classes - not just in a vacuum.

Otherwise we'll just have another useless elite spec to put in the trashbin next to Druid for PvP.

You hit the nail on the head.Every new season, when I play Ranger, I am a new and untested multi purpose Construction tool.Matches are the building project. Building projects are constantly changing.One match we're putting up Sky Scrapers in New York, next match its digging water wells.Some building projects I do REALLY well and other building projects, I don't even know why I am on the job site.

There needs to be more content creators sharing(explaining, talking, showing, describing, teaching) the rationale for the style of play that fits the builds.

Mesmers are still a ridiculous condi spam, evade-fest of immunes and blocks.Bens name came up in a recent chat I had with a high level player and Mesmers came up.Lets just say, they have and use many ways to determine the balance of a class.

I like the builds you proposed.I am a fan of bunkier builds paired with sw/wh.Reminds me of playing druid, which I still do.Also reminds me of boonbeast, which is still very strong.

@Flandre.2870 said:The new soulbeast build boyce runs is good. Decent MU vs warrior imho and that's all there is when it comes to side node these days. Does good into scrapper and can hold well but it's nothing like what slb was. The issue in the warrior MU(holo too tbh) comes with rampage and yeah try countering that lol. Sick em is one dimensional. It's bad because sick em is too long cd relatively to how many cds you can force(ofc mongol one shots happen but not vs good playres) and the rest of spec is worthless without it.

Isn't that just the normal sic em build but with rune of the fighter and 1 trait swapped. The rest looks basically the same.

@jcbroe.4329 said:

@jcbroe.4329 said:Well, I've been doing a bunch of build testing on my alt. I'm not really enjoying the current metagame - it's like I'm playing an FPS game when it comes to killing or taking damage from anything but Bunk Scrapper or Support Firebrand.

More on the topic though, outside of that build, this is the other build I've played around with this season:10/10 do not recommend, this is just to facetank a point when no one else on the team can:

And here's one I want to try sometime within my last 30-40 games of the season (see if I actually end up on the leaderboards or if I just don't feel like finishing it out by the end, fluctuating between plat 1 and 2 spamming games with nothing to lose cuz I want more ascended armor):
Tanky traits/setup, some kill potential, but unlike either of the above LB can actually force a decap over time and the tanky damage classes still take enough damage that setups like this can threaten them.

While I agree that people should not complain about sic em. It's pretty balanced imo. High risk high reward. I feel that you can't compare that to warrior.

Lb is ranged and if they don't dodge it's a guaranteed hit. Warrior sb skills are all melee and can be more easily kited even with out los. So the dmg is deserved when it connects. Just my personal opinion.

I also think everything is pretty balanced right now and nothing really needs to change. Except for maybe they should rework some deadeye and ele traits/skills.

Sort of related question. Is it even worth running Leader of the pack anymore? You get like 1,25 sec from the elite and 1 additional second from dolyak stance. No cd reduction, no boon extension, just shared stance for a few seconds. Elite could be nice in midfights, but trying to coordinate 3 secs with randoms isn't going to work out very often. Everyone is picking this trait by default, but I think the other traits may deserve a second look.

@TorQ.7041 said:

But yeah, I don't recommend any of that to people who actually care about the season. The Sic Em (slight) variant that Boyce uses on stream is the first build Rangers have had in a long time that actually has carry potentially through quickly pushing kills. It's very sad to see that even though Chronos, Holos, Spellbreakers, and Heralds can all roll into a fight and 1 shot someone with like 3 button presses that the Sic Em build is what's being cried about, unless people like @"Ben Phongluangtham.1065" recognize that Ranger receives a disproportionate amount of community vile when it has a viable build and that if damage needs to be reduced, it needs to be done across the board for the gamemode and all classes - not just in a vacuum.

While I agree that people should not complain about sic em. It's pretty balanced imo. High risk high reward. I feel that you can't compare that to warrior.

Lb is ranged and if they don't dodge it's a guaranteed hit. Warrior sb skills are all melee and can be more easily kited even with out los. So the dmg is deserved when it connects. Just my personal opinion.

I also think everything is pretty balanced right now and nothing really needs to change. Except for maybe they should rework some deadeye and ele traits/skills.

It isn't about the damage of Rampage, it's about what it does on a 72 second cooldown timer. Pulsing Stability, insane damage on every skills, and CC chaining on a skill that increases also increases tankiness and mobility.

That said, I don't want to seem like I'm targeting it (or anything) directly. The game has been power crept beyond comprehension - there hasn't been a "healthy" metagame since the Core specs balance right before HoT dropped and again in like the S5-7 ranges of the PvP league, right around when Solo Queue only was first implemented. There were multiple roles that existed in the metagame - support, bruiser, teamfight damage, roaming damage - and the pacing of the game "felt" better: you didn't feel like nobody had any cooldowns on their skills and that you had to dodge everything or lose half your health, like now.

Both of the prior metagames I just mentioned, 8/9 to 9/9 classes had "meta" builds. But people complained about build diversity. Well, the current state of the game doesn't look like build diversity to me - it just looks like people trying to desperately pump out enough damage to kill things before they die to an attack or two that happens to cleave them, even if they throw on a knights amulet.

Nothing about the damage output in the current game is okay. In a large part, it's a symptom though, because I'm sure that not everybody wants to be play Call of Duty builds, but on the other end of the spectrum, things like Scrapper and Firebrand and even Chrono soak so much damage or give their allies the ability to soak so much damage that there is no more middle ground or role diversity left in the game, just unstoppable damage against immovable defenses.

This isn't an MMO anymore, it's just a very odd looking FPS game with twitch shooter gameplay.

@"beatthedown.2651" said:Sort of related question. Is it even worth running Leader of the pack anymore? You get like 1,25 sec from the elite and 1 additional second from dolyak stance. No cd reduction, no boon extension, just shared stance for a few seconds. Elite could be nice in midfights, but trying to coordinate 3 secs with randoms isn't going to work out very often. Everyone is picking this trait by default, but I think the other traits may deserve a second look.

I've played around with both the other traits but I think they're all (including Leader of the Pack) relatively lackluster.

Eternal Bond is highly situational, though can be useful, and I'd say in a different meta where sidenode Soulbeast was still "a thing" this is the pick over the Stance trait to have the potential to save yourself from a +1 or a Rampage.

Oppressive Superiority is the same way, though a little more passive. The damage bonus is nice, but you can't guarantee it, and it could very well end up that once a fight gets going, this trait isn't active often.

Leader of the Pack isn't a great choice anymore. But it's consistent. You slot it and stances, and you improve those stances. The value of the shared stances is going to be reliant on how/when they're shared and what your team does with them, but there's still value in sharing them.

Opportunity cost wise, Leader of the Pack is going to be the "safe" choice that you can guarantee the mileage you get out of it. Oppressive Superiority would be next in line - you will always get value out of it as long as its condition is met. Eternal Bond could be useful, especially on the right build (look up Lord Hizen's old Soulbeast videos as an example of a notable player who utilized this trait in their build), but there will be games when you never take advantage of the fact this skill is slotted.

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:How do eagle ruins compare to scholar in overall dps regarding soulbeast builds? Scholars are expensive and wondering if I'd be worth the change?

This is a spvp discussion, which means whatever set of runes you slot into your character's armor doesn't matter. The rune in spvp is entirely controlled by the rune set you select in your pvp equipment screen (accessed by clicking on the helmet icon at the top-center of your screen when you enter the pvp lobby).

As to your actual question, I haven't tested it myself, but Eagle runes should outperform Scholar if you have trouble remaining above the 90% threshold for the Scholar buff. It would of course depend on how good you are at recovering/resetting fights.

@voltaicbore.8012 said:

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:How do eagle ruins compare to scholar in overall dps regarding soulbeast builds? Scholars are expensive and wondering if I'd be worth the change?

This is a spvp discussion, which means whatever set of runes you slot into your character's armor doesn't matter. The rune in spvp is entirely controlled by the rune set you select in your pvp equipment screen (accessed by clicking on the helmet icon at the top-center of your screen when you enter the pvp lobby).

As to your actual question, I haven't tested it myself, but Eagle runes should outperform Scholar if you have trouble remaining above the 90% threshold for the Scholar buff. It would of course depend on how good you are at recovering/resetting fights.

I get that just figured I was here and would still get a solid answer from long time rangers lol just always see scholars on power builds but figured in most scenarios eagle would be solid as well and way cheaper. Thanks for taking the time to reply ,I think ur right and gonna save my 30 gold lol.

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:

I get that just figured I was here and would still get a solid answer from long time rangers lol just always see scholars on power builds but figured in most scenarios eagle would be solid as well and way cheaper. Thanks for taking the time to reply ,I think ur right and gonna save my 30 gold lol.

Scholar runes will provide more damage in PvE (and probably WvW) where you can easily cap out your crit chance and thus eagles precision bonus won’t help as much.

But in PvP I’d definitely take eagle instead, it’ll help close out the kill a lot better, and the precision is way more useful for rangers than power since typically our power scaling is shit compared to having more crits.

If you use eagle in PvE I would absolutely 100% not tell anyone you’re using Eagle over scholar though, people are pretty fanatical about following the meta.

@"Eurantien.4632" said:But like... Isn't just the raw power just better anyway over the precision? With those stats?

Yes (I know you know the answer, just piggybacking).

To build for power damage the investment order is:-Maximize Power-Build Precision next until crit chance is 50%-At 50% crit chance, Ferocity and Precision return equal value

With Fury, Gear, and Traits being more available than similar options for Crit Damage, Ferocity is probably the "better" investment after 50% crit chance to focus on due to opportunity cost.

@Eurantien.4632 said:But like... Isn't just the raw power just better anyway over the precision? With those stats?

It's not just the raw power but also the modifiers for PvE and capping crit chance. In general, after the recent balance patch:Raids: Force/Impact+Thief runes (10% flanking bonus)Fotm: Force/Accuracy+Scholar runes.

Both builds mix in assassin's gear to hit 100% crit chance with fury and banner (maybe spotter depending on team comp). So you are shooting for around 70-75% crit chance now. So precision and modifiers drive the sigil/rune changes and are more important than power up to a point.

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:

If you only have 1 armor set and also casually play open world, don't get thief even though it's meta in raids. The flanking bonus won't work without a tank holding constant aggro. However, I don't think eagle is worth it for open world PvE since you will be able to 1 hit KO a lot of mobs. Even if you don't 1 hit KO mobs, a single Maul will bring most enemies down to 25% health. This means the lower than 50% health bonus damage rarely kicks in. While the 90% health threshold is annoying, you are playing power SB already so you have loud whistle and oppressive superiority for those health thresholds. Get used to avoiding damage.

If you want a cheap alternative, I think rune of the spellbreaker might serve you better in PvE. 7% vs enemies with no boons with power and precision.

@DuckDuckBOOM.4097 said:

@Eurantien.4632 said:But like... Isn't just the raw power just better anyway over the precision? With those stats?

It's not just the raw power but also the modifiers for PvE and capping crit chance. In general, after the recent balance patch:Raids: Force/Impact+Thief runes (10% flanking bonus)Fotm: Force/Accuracy+Scholar runes.

Both builds mix in assassin's gear to hit 100% crit chance with fury and banner (maybe spotter depending on team comp). So you are shooting for around 70-75% crit chance now. So precision and modifiers drive the sigil/rune changes and are more important than power up to a point.

If you only have 1 armor set and also casually play open world, don't get thief even though it's meta in raids. The flanking bonus won't work without a tank holding constant aggro. However, I don't think eagle is worth it for open world PvE since you will be able to 1 hit KO a lot of mobs. Even if you don't 1 hit KO mobs, a single Maul will bring most enemies down to 25% health. This means the lower than 50% health bonus damage rarely kicks in. While the 90% health threshold is annoying, you are playing power SB already so you have loud whistle and oppressive superiority for those health thresholds. Get used to avoiding damage.

If you want a cheap alternative, I think rune of the spellbreaker might serve you better in PvE. 7% vs enemies with no boons with power and precision.

Ok thanks I'll check those out I may just night the bullet and pick up scholars.

• 2 weeks later...

@"Stand The Wall.6987" said:http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vNAQNBlYD7kRFolFsWQwnFgrFsMLYw/zC6D9JA01+WMTq81S7ExRdBA-jpADBAYZAY/BA

so is this build kitten or what? condi druid.

Condi Druid doesn't work, never did.

The closest thing you'll get to a viable Condi Druid will be like what I have listed bellow. The idea here is that you are still primarily stated for sustain as a Druid should be, but you opt to swap a couple options to optimize mid-range kill potential. The perpetual might stacks and + bleed duration from Mad King Rune is where the supposed condi damage will be coming from off Split Blade Axe 2, and Entangle. Then of course the Mad King Rune 6th ability will also make the ravens with Entangle, which adds a surprising amount of damage. This build also has quite a bit of Quickness in it, which allows you and your pet to stack the attacks for much bigger bursts than you'd expect to see off a Sustainy Druid build. This build is less about being a side noder and more about being a team fighter, but it can side node well vs. condi and most other things. Spellbreaker & Holo 1v1s should be entirely avoided while using this however, as it has no source of stability, only stunbreaks.

Wilderness: 1 2 2Nature: 2 3 2Druid: 1 1 2

Staff: Energy & EscapeAxe & Warhorn: Energy & CourageHarrier with Mad King

6 - Troll7 - Sig of Renewal8 - Quick Zephyr9 - Lightning Reflex0 - Entangle

Pet 1 - BristlebackPet 2 - Optional/Situational