Soulbeast Needs Some Genuine Nerf Bat Love in the Next Balance Update

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@shadowpass.4236 said:@mortrialus.3062@"praqtos.9035"

I've learned not to engage in longer discussions with people I can't reason/have a constructive conversation with. So, I didn't read your last posts.

Instead, here's a clip from the Naru's stream (the necro for Team USA). Watch from the timestamp for the next two minutes until the 2 hr 30 min mark.

Since Naru has won nearly every single monthly on NA, it's obvious that he has a well-informed opinion on class balance, game knowledge, and mechanics for PvP. You can also read his chat to see his viewers weigh in on the topic.

If an established necro main (the class ranger counters the hardest) has no issue dealing with sic em longbow soulbeast... that says a lot about the people (mesmer players in particular) that have been crying for nerfs.

Top players in games are well-known for not having good opinions and being biased.

edit: fixed my abomination of a sentence

@Shiyo.3578 said:

I've learned not to engage in longer discussions with people I can't reason/have a constructive conversation with. So, I didn't read your last posts.

Instead, here's
(the necro for Team USA). Watch from the timestamp for the next two minutes until the 2 hr 30 min mark.

Since Naru has won nearly every single monthly on NA, it's obvious that he has a well-informed opinion on class balance, game knowledge, and mechanics for PvP. You can also read his chat to see his viewers weigh in on the topic.

If an established necro main (the class ranger counters the hardest) has no issue dealing with sic em longbow soulbeast... that says a lot about the people (mesmer players in particular) that have been crying for nerfs.

Top players and games are well-known for not having good opinions and being biased.

Top players in any game didn't get to where they are because of luck. Whether or not they're biased, their standings are proof that they have more mechanical skill and game knowledge than the wide majority of the population. With that being said, being able to properly articulate the reasons behind their opinions is a skill. As such, you rarely see the upper echelon debating in balance discussions because 99.9% of the playerbase isn't operating at the same level. It's like trying to teach rocket science to a four year old, it all flies over their heads.

@shadowpass.4236 said:

Instead, here's
(the necro for Team USA). Watch from the timestamp for the next two minutes until the 2 hr 30 min mark.

Top players and games are well-known for not having good opinions and being biased.

Top players in any game didn't get to where they are because of luck. Whether or not they're biased, their standings are proof that they have more mechanical skill and game knowledge than the wide majority of the population. With that being said, being able to properly articulate the reasons behind their opinions is a skill. As such, you rarely see the upper echelon debating in balance discussions because 99.9% of the playerbase isn't operating at the same level. It's like trying to teach rocket science to a four year old, it all flies over their heads.

If you're going to make a big point about how you don't want to engage with me stop @ing me and clogging up my notifications.

@shadowpass.4236 said:

Instead, here's

what build are you running?

@Crab Fear.1624 said:

Instead, here's

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vNAQJATRjUqQLLWyCOsAXLG+Dq91zgA4Tjf4o7U423hSk+bA-jJxHAB+/AAA4SAYx+DffEAAA

Amulet changes depending on preference.

@shadowpass.4236 said:

Instead, here's

Amulet changes depending on preference.

thanks

@mortrialus.3062 said:

@mortrialus.3062 said:If you're going to make a big point about how you don't want to engage with me stop @ing me and clogging up my notifications.

Shiyo tagged you. I responded to them.

And I've been polite enough to deliberately untag you since then.

Yeah I didn't check the first time. I will untag going forward.

@shadowpass.4236 said:

@"Twilight Tempest.7584" said:
  1. Not true. Pet automatically retarget on real mesmer as soon you he lose stealth and ignore clones, pet always know who is real mesmer.It is true. I highly doubt every ranger is instasighted me among all clones and gave it an order to attack me,especially behind I'm behind a pillar

Maybe something that can be tested?Found random theif, ordered pet to attack him, he goes stealth,pet attack random ppl, thief lose stealth, pet goes to attack thief without me doing anything. The same happened with a memser: he spawned 3 clones,I told pet to attack mesmer,after he lost stealth pet rushed to attack real one. Is this dude really play ranger as main ? I noticed this behaviour loooooooooooooooooooooong ago

That's because you have your pet set to Guard. This means your pet will attack anyone you attack or foes that attack you. However, this does not mean the pet tracks through stealth. Instead, it means you hit the pet before your clones did after stealthing.

This setting is bad because it will keep running towards AoEs even after being called back by the player. Good rangers keep their pets on Avoid Combat for better pet control.

You're misinformed and ignorant. Yes, I am a ranger main.

So me and a guildie just tested this.

1. When you set your pet to attack. No matter if you stealth OR detarget the pet will retarget you instantly. I wasn't sure if that had changed since last this was mentioned as I thought this was just a feature rangers enjoyed. The ability for a pet to track a target after they stealth OR drop target is still present. The pet is basically a permanent target beacon. This was tested in both the guild hall and Spvp arena.

2. Smoke Assault does in fact drop target. ( this was tested exclusively in the GH arena) I never honestly noticed this because the skill drops you in melee range. But yea. It is an undocumented detarget and probably a bug.

@Solori.6025 said:

1. Not true. Pet automatically retarget on real mesmer as soon you he lose stealth and ignore clones, pet always know who is real mesmer.It is true. I highly doubt every ranger is instasighted me among all clones and gave it an order to attack me,especially behind I'm behind a pillar

Maybe something that can be tested?Found random theif, ordered pet to attack him, he goes stealth,pet attack random ppl, thief lose stealth, pet goes to attack thief without me doing anything. The same happened with a memser: he spawned 3 clones,I told pet to attack mesmer,after he lost stealth pet rushed to attack real one. Is this dude really play ranger as main ? I noticed this behaviour loooooooooooooooooooooong ago

That's because you have your pet set to Guard. This means your pet will attack anyone you attack or foes that attack you. However, this does not mean the pet tracks through stealth. Instead, it means you hit the pet before your clones did after stealthing.

This setting is bad because it will keep running towards AoEs even after being called back by the player. Good rangers keep their pets on Avoid Combat for better pet control.

1. When you set your pet to attack. No matter if you stealth OR detarget the pet will retarget you instantly. I wasn't sure if that had changed since last this was mentioned as I thought this was just a feature rangers enjoyed. The ability for a pet to track a target after they stealth OR drop target is still present. The pet is basically a permanent target beacon. This was tested in both the guild hall and Spvp arena.
  2. Smoke Assault does in fact drop target. ( this was tested exclusively in the GH arena) I never honestly noticed this because the skill drops you in melee range. But yea. It is an undocumented detarget and probably a bug.

Thanks for testing it. Praqtos did as well, with both Mes and Thief, and found the pet automatically retargated with neither any action on the ranger's part, nor the target attacking the pet after stealth. Like an all-seeing-eye the pet just resumes attacking the real player. This has been my general experience as well, which is one reason why I'm given to griping about ranger pets. Unless I'm missing something, it pretty handily counters all of Mes's stealth and detargeting.

@"mortrialus.3062" said:Smoke Assault is 100% a detarget even if the skill tool tip doesn't list that fact.

"Smoke Assault (soulbeast): Conceal yourself and lash out at nearby foes. Gain might each time you damage a foe."

I think the detarget is inherent to the stealth, like any other stealth.

(sorry Rangers) as i said previously; no professions including specifically Warriors should be excluded by the excessive amount of Toxicity that the toxic balancing has brought'ONE SHOT ranger (Soul beast) Guild Wars 2 GW2 | PvP Highlights' bySpecial Snowflake

@"Burnfall.9573"

If that video was to display how overpowered a Soulbeast is, there are a couple things that need to be pointed out about that video:

1. There was not a single person in any of those clips, on his team or against him, that had a single pvp title. No Ruthless, Relentless, Unyielding, No Gods Of PvP or Best of Bestest, there weren't even any old legend titles either AKA - Indominatable, Primordial, ect ect. That video is full of bellow the bell curve Gold 1 & Gold 2 play. In other words, he is noob stomping around with a 1HKO build, which can be done with literally any build that is rocking PvE'ish level DPS. A great Ele player as example, could make a Berserker Staff Ele look amazing in a Gold 1 game. But the truth is that it is in no way viable in Plat tiers, even when wielded by amazing players.
  2. The build he is running is the most gimmick of all gimmicks I've seen since Harsh Master's true 1HKO. Builds like that are in no way functional in even semi competitive play. Look at his weapon sets and utilities. He has literally nothing defensive on his bar, nothing. He isn't even using protection and he has only 1 stun break. The only mobility he has is GS 3. The guy has raw damage, that's it. He isn't even using condi clears, and he isn't even using a Longbow... This guy has "2 dodge rolls" and that's it. A normal Reaper could chase this Ranger and single use of Shroud 4 on it, and he'd be dead, with no way to cleanse chill/cripple, only 1 stunbreak vs. the multiple CCs on Reaper, and simply just no way to disengage such an attacker. His build would get crushed in seconds by any player on any class, that was around 1550+ and I do mean in seconds.

Although I do enjoy this youtube user's videos, we shouldn't use them as example of Soulbeast balance. Again, any good player using any class could load up a full DPS build like that, and go around noob smashing. Like I could load in as a Power DH Raid Build and tear apart Gold 1 players, but of course we all know DH builds are just inexcusably bad right now.

Instead, here's a clip from the Naru's stream (the necro for Team USA). Watch from the timestamp for the next two minutes until the 2 hr 30 min mark.

Thnx for narus link there it helped me out allot. I have never learnt rng or their combos but do fight them allot and always save my burst for the bear lol the revel as a sign will help me out allot as never put that with the burst incoming xx

@Trevor Boyer.6524 said:@"Burnfall.9573"

If that video was to display how overpowered a Soulbeast is, there are a couple things that need to be pointed out about that video:

1. There was not a single person in any of those clips, on his team or against him, that had a single pvp title. No Ruthless, Relentless, Unyielding, No Gods Of PvP or Best of Bestest, there weren't even any old legend titles either AKA - Indominatable, Primordial, ect ect. That video is full of bellow the bell curve Gold 1 & Gold 2 play. In other words, he is noob stomping around with a 1HKO build, which can be done with literally any build that is rocking PvE'ish level DPS. A great Ele player as example, could make a Berserker Staff Ele look amazing in a Gold 1 game. But the truth is that it is in no way viable in Plat tiers, even when wielded by amazing players.
  2. The build he is running is the most gimmick of all gimmicks I've seen since Harsh Master's true 1HKO. Builds like that are in no way functional in even semi competitive play. Look at his weapon sets and utilities. He has literally nothing defensive on his bar, nothing. He isn't even using protection and he has only 1 stun break. The only mobility he has is GS 3. The guy has raw damage, that's it. He isn't even using condi clears, and he isn't even using a Longbow... This guy has "2 dodge rolls" and that's it. A normal Reaper could chase this Ranger and single use of Shroud 4 on it, and he'd be dead, with no way to cleanse chill/cripple, only 1 stunbreak vs. the multiple CCs on Reaper, and simply just no way to disengage such an attacker. His build would get crushed in seconds by any player on any class, that was around 1550+ and I do mean in seconds.

Although I do enjoy this youtube user's videos, we shouldn't use them as example of Soulbeast balance. Again, any good player using any class could load up a full DPS build like that, and go around noob smashing. Like I could load in as a Power DH Raid Build and tear apart Gold 1 players, but of course we all know DH builds are just inexcusably bad right now.

I truly enjoy your unbiased opinions all over the forum but you gotta be careful here. Using too much logic may result in arguing and/or "We don't care, nerf the OP SLB" statements. As OP stated - he doesn't care if this SLB isn't viable in higher tiers, as long as it is viable in lower tiers it deserves a nerf.

@Solori.6025 said:

Okay. So I could be wrong about the first point, but I really don't believe that's the case. The wiki states "Pets set to guard will attack enemies that its owner attacks, and will defend its owner if it's attacked by an enemy by attacking that enemy." I just tested it myself and my pet runs back to me after the enemy stealths. It resumes attacking if the enemy deals any damage after leaving stealth. Also, it will continue attacking if the ranger attacks/changes target back onto them.

As for Smoke Assault dropping target, I just tested it myself and rewatched some old vod footage. I never realized it before, but yes, you're correct. This is not listed on the wiki nor the tooltip so I never would've assumed it functioned like that. It's probably a bug.

I fight outnumbered in every single match I play. This means I'm usually 1v2+ for a good portion of my games. As such, I'm used to tab targetting really quickly between multiple players and AI and it's just muscle memory to retarget someone nearly instantly if I lose that target. Because of this and the lack of information on the tooltip, I didn't know there was detargetting on this skill.

@praqtos.9035 You're right about the detarget, but I'm not sure about Guard yet. My pet runs back to me unless some sort of damage is dealt by the opponent after exiting stealth.

@shadowpass.4236 said:

Okay. So I could be wrong about the first point, but I really don't believe that's the case. The wiki states "Pets set to guard will attack enemies that its owner attacks, and will defend its owner if it's attacked by an enemy by attacking that enemy." I just tested it myself and my pet runs back to me after the enemy stealths. It resumes attacking if the enemy deals any damage after leaving stealth. Also, it will continue attacking if the ranger attacks/changes target back onto them.

As for Smoke Assault dropping target, I just tested it myself and rewatched some old vod footage. I never realized it before, but yes, you're correct. This is not listed on the wiki nor the tooltip so I never would've assumed it functioned like that. It's probably a bug.

I fight outnumbered in every single match I play. This means I'm usually 1v2+ for a good portion of my games. As such, I'm used to tab targetting really quickly between multiple players and AI and it's just muscle memory to retarget someone nearly instantly if I lose that target. Because of this and the lack of information on the tooltip, I didn't know there was detargetting on this skill.

@praqtos.9035 You're right about the detarget, but I'm not sure about Guard yet. My pet runs back to me unless some sort of damage is dealt by the opponent after exiting stealth.I did test myself. Pet rushes towards un-stealthed target as soon as it lost stealth. If control bothers you, why dont you use f3, even if you take damage or pet, this wont do anything. If you play at avoid combat, doesnt mean other rangers too OR that pet behaviour doesnt happen at all.About breaking target... Its not a bug,thats anet giving away mesmer unique things to every class. Even more description says "conceal yourself". Jaunt still has "3 charges" for example. Before insult anyone you could test it as I did (I knew it before but double checked)

@"praqtos.9035" said:I did test myself. Pet rushes towards un-stealthed target as soon as it lost stealth. If control bothers you, why dont you use f3, even if you take damage or pet, this wont do anything. If you play at avoid combat, doesnt mean other rangers too OR that pet behaviour doesnt happen at all.About breaking target... Its not a bug,thats anet giving away mesmer unique things to every class. Even more description says "conceal yourself". Jaunt still has "3 charges" for example. Before insult anyone you could test it as I did (I knew it before but double checked)

Yeah I tell any rangers I teach to keep their pet on avoid combat instead of guard. Guard is a horrible setting. Any sort of damage from the player/enemy will trigger the pet to run back into all of the AoEs on a node. This will end up killing your pet very frequently and cause the ranger to spam f3 so the pet doesn't keep running into damage. But yeah, when I tested it again the pet runs back to me when the enemy stealths and only attacks if it/I get attacked again, I order it to attack, or I attack the enemy.

@shadowpass.4236 said:

@"praqtos.9035" said:I did test myself. Pet rushes towards un-stealthed target as soon as it lost stealth. If control bothers you, why dont you use f3, even if you take damage or pet, this wont do anything. If you play at avoid combat, doesnt mean other rangers too OR that pet behaviour doesnt happen at all.About breaking target... Its not a bug,thats anet giving away mesmer unique things to every class. Even more description says "conceal yourself". Jaunt still has "3 charges" for example. Before insult anyone you could test it as I did (I knew it before but double checked)

Yeah I tell any rangers I teach to keep their pet on avoid combat instead of guard. Guard is a horrible setting. Any sort of damage from the player/enemy will trigger the pet to run back into all of the AoEs on a node. This will end up killing your pet very frequently and cause the ranger to spam f3 so the pet doesn't keep running into damage. But yeah, when I tested it again the pet runs back to me when the enemy stealths and only attacks if it/I get attacked again, I order it to attack, or I attack the enemy.I dont get it, on what option did you test it, avoid combat? I had guard and it did attack the guy who was unstealthed(same with mesmer)When I play ranger for memes "spam f3" is not a problem for me. Also a lot of times pet like scripted interrupt key abilities on enemies or mine, like heal, when evade ends I get perfectly stunned by pet, coincidence or not i'm not sure but pretty annoying. Another ranger main friend said the same.

@praqtos.9035 said:

@praqtos.9035 said:I did test myself. Pet rushes towards un-stealthed target as soon as it lost stealth. If control bothers you, why dont you use f3, even if you take damage or pet, this wont do anything. If you play at avoid combat, doesnt mean other rangers too OR that pet behaviour doesnt happen at all.About breaking target... Its not a bug,thats anet giving away mesmer unique things to every class. Even more description says "conceal yourself". Jaunt still has "3 charges" for example. Before insult anyone you could test it as I did (I knew it before but double checked)

Yeah I tell any rangers I teach to keep their pet on avoid combat instead of guard. Guard is a horrible setting. Any sort of damage from the player/enemy will trigger the pet to run back into all of the AoEs on a node. This will end up killing your pet very frequently and cause the ranger to spam f3 so the pet doesn't keep running into damage. But yeah, when I tested it again the pet runs back to me when the enemy stealths and only attacks if it/I get attacked again, I order it to attack, or I attack the enemy.I dont get it, on what option did you test it, avoid combat? I had guard and it did attack the guy who was unstealthed(same with mesmer)When I play ranger for memes "spam f3" is not a problem for me. Also a lot of times pet like scripted interrupt key abilities on enemies or mine, like heal, when evade ends I get perfectly stunned by pet, coincidence or not i'm not sure but pretty annoying. Another ranger main friend said the same.

No. I tested the pet on guard. My pet runs back to me without any input if the target stealths. It only resumes attacking if any damage is dealt from either party.

Also, pets follow a relatively predictable skill order. As such, a ranger who has spent a long period of time learning how to control their pet properly will be able to stow cc abilities in order to save them for key interrupts. However, against the majority of rangers who do not do this, those interrupts are "random."

@shadowpass.4236 said:

@praqtos.9035 said:I did test myself. Pet rushes towards un-stealthed target as soon as it lost stealth. If control bothers you, why dont you use f3, even if you take damage or pet, this wont do anything. If you play at avoid combat, doesnt mean other rangers too OR that pet behaviour doesnt happen at all.About breaking target... Its not a bug,thats anet giving away mesmer unique things to every class. Even more description says "conceal yourself". Jaunt still has "3 charges" for example. Before insult anyone you could test it as I did (I knew it before but double checked)

No. I tested the pet on guard. My pet runs back to me without any input if the target stealths. It only resumes attacking if any damage is dealt from either party.

Also, pets follow a relatively predictable skill order. As such, a ranger who has spent a long period of time learning how to control their pet properly will be able to stow cc abilities in order to save them for key interrupts. However, against the majority of rangers who do not do this, those interrupts are "random."I can tell these rangers arent intentionally made their pets interrupt you xD .I have no idea how u test it. I just brought a friend-thief. I press on pet F1 on him, he goes stealth, pet comes to me, he lose stealth,pet runs to hit him again, nobody hit me or I order pet to attack him again. How does it work for me and doesnt for you?I just tested with avoid combat, LOL, pet still goes to attack thief after he lost stealth. How it doesnt work for you LOL

@praqtos.9035 said:

Also, pets follow a relatively predictable skill order. As such, a ranger who has spent a long period of time learning how to control their pet properly will be able to stow cc abilities in order to save them for key interrupts. However, against the majority of rangers who do not do this, those interrupts are "random."I can tell these rangers arent intentionally made their pets interrupt you xD .I have no idea how u test it. I just brought a friend-thief. I press on pet F1 on him, he goes stealth, pet comes to me, he lose stealth,pet runs to hit him again, nobody hit me or I order pet to attack him again. How does it work for me and doesnt for you?I just tested with avoid combat, LOL, pet still goes to attack thief after he lost stealth. How it doesnt work for you LOL

Yeah idk

I f1 and f3 a lot depending on what's happening because I don't want my pet to take unnecessary damage and so I don't have to deal with my pet running back in and proccing things like Full Counter or counterattacks. Maybe the tooltips are wrong and the ways the pets work were changed at some point.

@shadowpass.4236 said:

Yeah idk

I f1 and f3 a lot depending on what's happening because I don't want my pet to take unnecessary damage and so I don't have to deal with my pet running back in and proccing things like Full Counter or counterattacks. Maybe the tooltips are wrong and the ways the pets work were changed at some point.

Pets have always behaved this way. I noticed this way back when they fixed some of the pathing issues (2012?)You can also test this in the FFA area if you message a thief or mes sitting there usually you find a kind enough person willing to help.