Can we have a shapeshifter for the next expansion?

TrepidPT.4327

@mortrialus.3062 said:

@"TrepidPT.4327" said:Maybe just a new class then?

There wont be coming out a new class.

They made rev, because there were only 2 heavy classes, while light and medium armor had 3 classes. Now each armortype has 3 classes.I believe they specifically said some time ago, that there will never coming out conpletely new classes, just new especcs.

Also, balancing right now is already a nightmare, an entire new class wouldnt help that at all.

Go play norn, they can transform into different animals

No RPG should so so committed to perfect symmetry between armor weight classes. Its goofy.

Well with ascended armor being interchangeable between classes of the same armortype it makes sense

Ascended and Legendary Weapons and Weapon Crafting are already ridiculously lopsided. Seriously just compare how many ascended weapon types Weaponsmithing (8) opens up for you compared to Huntsman (7) and Artificing (4!! lol).

Anyway, like I said no other RPGs really take the idea of perfect symmetry between weight classes seriously. Guild Wars 2 does have plenty of room for new classes that Elite Specializations can't completely cover. And the idea of "Oh with the third heavy there's no more room" is just kind of funny and nonsensical. There could be 6 light armor, 4 medium armor, and 2 heavy armor and things could still be perfectly fine as long as the class design and class fantasy are fine. While I don't think Arenanet will add new classes, it is just a matter of them having
the will
to add new classes. Which they don't at the moment. But nothing is truly off the table.

Unfortunately for the OP, shapeshifter is one of the least likely. As Soulbeast has the function of changing your abilities to become more animalistic, and Revenant just in general is the Guild Wars 2 shapeshifter, in function even if not in form. The gameplay niche isn't there even if there is a hole for the class fantasy. I think you are WAY more likely to lobby them to make Soulbeast gain physical animal traits beyond the green aura than to get a true shapeshifter profession from them.

How do the craftsman things play into account? It doesnt matter, you can learn those on any character, you could even learn all of them on one character.

I have like 6 heavy ascended sets and a legendary heavy, 1 medium and 2 light ascended sets.

Thats because i usually play heavy classes.If they brought out anew heavy class id be settled with gear, id just need to level the class up with tomes.Now i have 4 for every aspect of the game geared classes, while others only have 3 ready when they played more Light armors for example. How does that seem fair to you?

Also, still the balancing issues remain, more classes mean more work with balancing and alot more room for failure at that.

@"Tommo Chocolate.5870" said:Ah, ok, thanks for the explanation! Except... looking at the Soulbeast traits, there don't seem to be any procs in Beastmode that are dependent on traits. The only trait of the form "When in Beastmode, if you do X, then it triggers effect Y" is Eternal Bond, which has an effect when you're downed. (Disclaimer: I'm not very familiar with Soulbeast so I'm just reading the traits off the wiki - it's highly probably there's something I've missed.)

There is several traits in core that say:"Using a beast ability do [insert whatever effect]"

Those are your proc, just like dervich's avatars had:"removing a dervich enchantment do [insert whatever effect]"

@Dadnir.5038 said:

@"Tommo Chocolate.5870" said:Ah, ok, thanks for the explanation! Except... looking at the Soulbeast traits, there don't seem to be any procs in Beastmode that are dependent on traits. The only trait of the form "When in Beastmode, if you do X, then it triggers effect Y" is Eternal Bond, which has an effect when you're downed. (Disclaimer: I'm not very familiar with Soulbeast so I'm just reading the traits off the wiki - it's highly probably there's something I've missed.)

There is several traits in core that say:"Using a beast ability do [insert whatever effect]"

Those are your proc, just like dervich's avatars had:"removing a dervich enchantment do [insert whatever effect]"

Ok, I see what you're getting at now (finally!). I wasn't including those traits because Beast abilities are useable outside of Beastmode - Beastmode changes how you trigger those traits, but it doesn't grant access to them.

@"TrepidPT.4327" said:I have been thinking on this and I have mechanics in my head and everything :p

Like the same way mages can change from water, to fire etc (F1,F2...) I would love to see that but for a shapeshifter...So you press F1 and get the wolf transformation, your weapon bar changes from whatever weapon you had, and it becomes the beast weapons. The same if you turn to other animal, now the utility skills could be working in the same way as the glyphs for the druid, in a way that if you have the animal glyphs when u are in your human form, the skills will do something different as if you were in one of the beast forms and if you are as a wolf, for example, the glyphs would be different from the bear form as well. So you could have 10 different skills for each form! =)And if you had other skill but the glyphs for the shapeshifter (ex: Healing Spring) it would bring you back to your human form and cast it there. Now some ranger skills could maybe used in some forms, like "Strength of the Pack".

I don't know how hard it would be to do a class like this, I imagine it would be impressively hard, but in my opinion so it would to play with it!!What you guys think?

Big missed opportunity here, for both revenant and soulbeast. The revenant mechanic should have transformed you into the legend you're channeling, kinda like Death Shroud, and the soulbeast mechanic should have turned you into an animal, kinda like WoW druids do.