Skyscale is a pleasure to fly!

@Rasimir.6239 said:

@Rasimir.6239 said:For me, on the other hand, the Skyscale is worth it so much more than I expected. It is like a quality of life overhaul
combining the movement abilites of all of the other mounts (minus jackal sand portals and beetle walls or course) rolled into one mount.
It goes up and down and across precisely where I want it to go, without having to calculate for turn or break speed, or having to switch mounts on the fly. No more getting stuck in combat in front of a cliff because I didn't get to switch from raptor to springer before some critter caught up with me. No more missing a small target platform because of the griffon's huge turn angle and break path. And most of all no more motion sickness from weird skimmer or beetle movements, springers sliding down cliffs, or even raptors getting stuck on tiny bushes along their path.

I have to call that baloney. Flying speed is dominated by the Griffon, land speed is dominated by Rollerbeetle, and over the water speed is dominated by the Skimmer. All the other mounts are utility mounts. The Skyscale does nothing that other mounts can already do better. It's not a combination of all mounts into one. It's a mount that has no identity other than being a dragon.Did you read the paragraph you quoted? If you are into speed that's good for you, but for me, skimmer and beetle are the biggest offenders when it comes to motion sickness, with the griffon joining their ranks if I ever dare to try and land on a specific spot. I don't care about speed, I much prefer to play without having to lie down in a dark room with a splitting headache and ready to vomit after 10 minutes of gametime. And once you take speed out of the equation (why would I care about speed anyway? I'm here to enjoy myself, there's more than enough hustle and bustle in my life outside of gametime) everything I said stands.

I was not arguing against your other points. I specifically highlighted what is factually untrue.

@Sir Vincent III.1286 said:

@Rasimir.6239 said:For me, on the other hand, the Skyscale is worth it so much more than I expected. It is like a quality of life overhaul
combining the movement abilites of all of the other mounts (minus jackal sand portals and beetle walls or course) rolled into one mount.
It goes up and down and across precisely where I want it to go, without having to calculate for turn or break speed, or having to switch mounts on the fly. No more getting stuck in combat in front of a cliff because I didn't get to switch from raptor to springer before some critter caught up with me. No more missing a small target platform because of the griffon's huge turn angle and break path. And most of all no more motion sickness from weird skimmer or beetle movements, springers sliding down cliffs, or even raptors getting stuck on tiny bushes along their path.

I have to call that baloney. Flying speed is dominated by the Griffon, land speed is dominated by Rollerbeetle, and over the water speed is dominated by the Skimmer. All the other mounts are utility mounts. The Skyscale does nothing that other mounts can already do better. It's not a combination of all mounts into one. It's a mount that has no identity other than being a dragon.Did you read the paragraph you quoted? If you are into speed that's good for you, but for me, skimmer and beetle are the biggest offenders when it comes to motion sickness, with the griffon joining their ranks if I ever dare to try and land on a specific spot. I don't care about speed, I much prefer to play without having to lie down in a dark room with a splitting headache and ready to vomit after 10 minutes of gametime. And once you take speed out of the equation (why would I care about speed anyway? I'm here to enjoy myself, there's more than enough hustle and bustle in my life outside of gametime) everything I said stands.

I was not arguing against your other points. I specifically highlighted what is factually untrue.Sorry, but you have a very weird definition of the phrase "movement ability" then. It can go up like the springer, across gaps like the raptor, can glide like a griffon ... why is speed suddenly the defining factor of "movement ability"? To me it's all about getting somewhere, and often a very precise somewhere, and the skyscale gets me places more comfortably and precisely than all of the other mounts combined and without the hassle of having to switch mounts on the go (and possibly in hostile territory). That's a fact.

@Rasimir.6239 said:

I was not arguing against your other points. I specifically highlighted what is factually untrue.Sorry, but you have a very weird definition of the phrase "movement ability" then. It can go up like the springer, across gaps like the raptor, can glide like a griffon ... why is speed suddenly the defining factor of "movement ability"? To me it's all about getting somewhere, and often a very precise somewhere, and the skyscale gets me places more comfortably and precisely than all of the other mounts combined and without the hassle of having to switch mounts on the go (and possibly in hostile territory). That's a fact.

The movement ability of the griffon, for example, is the dive and boosted speed, not gliding. The movement ability of Springer is the super jump. And no, Skyscale cannot go up like the Springer, nor fly like the Griffon, nor accelerate over water like the Skimmer, nor boost land speed like the Rollerbettle. The movement ability of Skyscale is hovering and that's not even close to a combination of all mounts like you claim it to be. Your claim is, plain and simple, false.

For the record, I do not want the Skyscale to replace any of the other mount, nor to have an ability similar to the other mounts, nor a combination of the other mounts. Its unique movement ability should be grabbing and climbing walls in addition to hovering.

Many kittens were uttered in the pursuit of the Skyscale, buit those were quicly forgotten after actually getting the Skyscale. I like exploring the map and sometimes I need to check the map to figure out where I'm going. there isn't a better mount for that. There are some things it makes trivial that maybe weren't initially meant to be. Need to cap out your volatile magic orb gathering? It's trivial and fast on the skyscale. I know the griffon is faster, but I like the feel of soaring (as long as I stay within the altitude range). It's actually messed me up with the control of the griffon a bit. I keep wanting to fly that the same way and it just doesn't.

@Sir Vincent III.1286 said:

The movement ability of the griffon, for example, is the dive and boosted speed, not gliding. The movement ability of Springer is the super jump. And no, Skyscale cannot go up like the Springer, nor fly like the Griffon, nor accelerate over water like the Skimmer, nor boost land speed like the Rollerbettle. The movement ability of Skyscale is hovering and that's not even close to a combination of all mounts like you claim it to be. Your claim is, plain and simple, false.If its all about speed for you that's fine. It's all about getting places for me, and I have yet to find a place (outside of jackal portals and beetle doors and possibly skimmer on longer journeys, since I simply
can't use it without getting sick
) I want to go that the Skyscale doesn't get me more comfortable and with less micromanagement than the other mounts. That's not false, that's the plain and simple truth.

@Rasimir.6239 said:

The movement ability of the griffon, for example, is the dive and boosted speed, not gliding. The movement ability of Springer is the super jump. And no, Skyscale cannot go up like the Springer, nor fly like the Griffon, nor accelerate over water like the Skimmer, nor boost land speed like the Rollerbettle. The movement ability of Skyscale is hovering and that's not even close to a combination of all mounts like you claim it to be. Your claim is, plain and simple, false.If its all about speed for you that's fine. It's all about getting places for me, and I have yet to find a place (outside of jackal portals and beetle doors and possibly skimmer on longer journeys, since I simply
can't use it without getting sick
) I want to go that the Skyscale doesn't get me more comfortable and with less micromanagement than the other mounts. That's not false, that's the plain and simple truth.

That's not the false statement that you made. In fact I do agree with you on that point. High-speed mount is not for everyone. Mounts are used to get from point A to point B the most efficient way possible in a short amount of time. And the way to make the Skyscale more efficient is if it can crawl up the walls.

@Sir Vincent III.1286 said:If the Skyscale can regen stamina while grabbing on a ledge, sure it's better than the Griffin.If the Skyscale can crawl up the ledge to gain more height, then sure it's better than the Grifffin.Unfortunately, it can do neither.

Skyscale is a helicopter compared to a jet plane, the Griffin.

A helicopter is the superior aircraft in many circumstances. Is that your point about the Skyscale? That it is often superior to the other mounts?

It's great compared to what it was before, but I feel like it still needs work.

• Mounting in mid-air: You no longer accumulate red-bar and drop like a rock after gaining altitude via movement based masteries such as updrafts and whatnot prior to your first skyscale mounting after leaving the ground. But it still depletes your blue bar. If you haven't mounted your skyscale yet, the game should treat it as though you never mounted in the first place. It doesn't make sense for it to be tired out when you haven't even used it yet. This effectively makes bond of vigor into a band-aid for a inherent design problem skyscale has. Assuming it is on cooldown, you might as well still use your griffon which you can gain infinite height with rendering Skyscale obsolete once again. The Skyscale is great assuming you're only just mounting while on the ground. Mounting it in mid-air after gaining altitude by some other means renders it obsolete. In essence, you are forced to choose between using another mount or mastery or the skyscale. Other mounts and masteries can combo together. Skyscale cannot. If I use an oakheart's essence to traverse up a cliff, I should be able to use my skyscale to scale my way up the rest of the cliff WITHOUT having to rely on a 60 second cooldown just to use the mount initially. Again, the jet here does what the helicopter fails to do. Sounds silly, but the Griffon is already doing what the Skyscale can. Going up. As it stands, a skyscale mounted mid-air above starting elevation is still just a glorified glider with a dash.

• Another thing that could be improved upon is the wall-jumping. The TOTAL amount of flightbar and height you get from BOTH endurance bars TOGETHER is fine. But I feel like they need to just limit the Skyscale to just one endurance bar, and then double the effective strength of a jump and the flight stamina you get from it and make it behave like a springer jump where you can decide how much to use instead of just doing tiny little jumps up the side of a cliff. Right now, wall-climbing on skyscale while useful, takes too much time and is too cumbersome. Imagine if the roller beetle had two endurance bars, but a single boost was only half as powerful. That's basically what skyscale is now. You also have to hold down jump to use your endurance and if you don't hold it down long enough, your endurance is wasted. You shouldn't have to build it up like that unless it behaves like the springer which is does not. You should just be able to push a button and keyword; "Wall Launch" your way up.

In most maps, these aren't an issue as they don't have much verticality to them. But in Verdant Brink, I really found myself wanting for that blue bar after taking an updraft and having no blue bar or nothing to wall launch off of just to reach something mere inches above me.

@Ashen.2907 said:

@"Sir Vincent III.1286" said:If the Skyscale can regen stamina while grabbing on a ledge, sure it's better than the Griffin.If the Skyscale can crawl up the ledge to gain more height, then sure it's better than the Grifffin.Unfortunately, it can do neither.

Skyscale is a helicopter compared to a jet plane, the Griffin.

A helicopter is the superior aircraft in many circumstances. Is that your point about the Skyscale? That it is often superior to the other mounts?

Yes and no. I was replying to a post stating that the Sktscale is better than the Griffin. Which is an obvious "no".

However, the Griffin is not better than the Skyscale either.

The last sentence in my post basically says, "you're comparing apple to a tomato".

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@LucianDK.8615 said:Only two issues with it. The cling is extremely oversensitive. And the air rescue needs work. If you are too high, you plummet with red bar. Elsewise its a joy to use.

Those are the two issues that
truly
need an overhaul, and soon. Everything else (ascending/descending speed and range) would just be a nice bonus.

The cling is like velcro. Don't fly through trees or in close proximity of an object. The decent I've gotten used to and once my bar is empty, I head to the nearest flat spot to regenerate.

The only other issue I have with it is the straight up vertical climb rate. It could use some tweaking. Otherwise you have to move forward to climb faster.

@"zeldara.4127" said:Love the skyscale. More then i thought i would. It quickly became my nr 1 mount now it's all mastered up. I like to casually explore, don't usually need to be places asap. And skyscale is perfect for it. Been revisiting maps to knock out some achievements I hadn't done yet/could not reach/were to troublesome and the skyscale made it way easier. Also it gives a new perspective on a lot of maps, making me revisit maps and fly around having fun, just playing tourist. All maps are totally revitalized (for a while) by scyscale for me. So yeah I'd definitely;y say Skyscale is a pleasure to fly. And safe the bit over the top 250 currency for each map (had about 1/3th), I didn't mind the collections and such. Took me a little over 3 weeks total.

could not describe it better :)+1 i never liked pve that much ... only done it for the legendary " needed " map reward..now i ENJOY pve !

I finally got mine and while it's taking some practice (i had no idea what i was doing even after using rentals) i'm getting better. I like the precision, as with my damaged nerves in my hands it's rather easy for to me to overshoot the mark on my griffon, with skyscale i find it much easier to land exactly where i want to land. A bit slower but that's fine by me. Still working on its masteries but love it so far.

@"Cragga the Eighty Third.6015" said:

@aspirine.6852 said:When doing the casino coin event the skyscale is perfect for it. Also for HoT maps the skyscale shines compared to anything else.

Nothing beats griffon in HoT maps.

Remember that one hero point in Verdant Brink, where you go down, down, down, looking for this one little hole in the wall/tree to scoot through, and if your griffon misses it, you have to find a place to land before you hit the bottom of the chasm, then WP back to the top to start over? Just sayin'.

In some other thread I mentioned that Dragon's Stand HP where you have to jump and land on that needle-like tower top in the middle of a pit.

In my days we used gliders and never missed it. The only use for skyscale in HoT maps is that one MP in VB with horrible jumping puzzle squeezed in the wrecks of airships.yet we got it too with no mount.

I find the negative comments on this thread puzzling. Exactly what is the goal in posting them? Players are here posting about how they enjoy the skyscale. What value, exactly, do you think is delivered by posting about how you think the mount is useless and unnecessary? Do you think those comments will force other players to suddenly stop enjoying using the skyscale?

So you don't like the skyscale. Cool. Don't use it. You might be surprised to find that nobody cares whether you do or don't, you're free to play GW2 as you wish.

@"Turkeyspit.3965" said:I find the negative comments on this thread puzzling. Exactly what is the goal in posting them? Players are here posting about how they enjoy the skyscale. What value, exactly, do you think is delivered by posting about how you think the mount is useless and unnecessary? Do you think those comments will force other players to suddenly stop enjoying using the skyscale?

So you don't like the skyscale. Cool. Don't use it. You might be surprised to find that nobody cares whether you do or don't, you're free to play GW2 as you wish.

Well you know what they say...

"Every party needs a pooper..."

Sing along, everyone!

@Echostorm.9143 said:

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:I find the negative comments on this thread puzzling. Exactly what is the goal in posting them? Players are here posting about how they enjoy the skyscale. What value, exactly, do you think is delivered by posting about how you think the mount is useless and unnecessary? Do you think those comments will force other players to suddenly stop enjoying using the skyscale?

The white knights of GW will not tolerate dissent! Praise the skyscale or get out! Everything in GW is perfect!

It takes some ego to think that negative comments about the game are aimed at you. The actual thinking is that the developers read these threads and if they just see page after page of fan bois worshiping the skyscales as they are they'll leave them like that instead of making them better.

I'm more surprised that these suck up threads get made and that people like you get so upset about any criticism of the game you had nothing to do with making unless you're an undercover anet employee.

There also have been loads of threads about ways to improve the skyscale. Comments regarding its flaws would be more fitting to those threads.

After unlocking every thing on the skyscale. I don't find it flawed at all.

@Ygdrasill.9135 said:Many kittens were uttered in the pursuit of the Skyscale, buit those were quicly forgotten after actually getting the Skyscale. I like exploring the map and sometimes I need to check the map to figure out where I'm going. there isn't a better mount for that. There are some things it makes trivial that maybe weren't initially meant to be. Need to cap out your volatile magic orb gathering? It's trivial and fast on the skyscale. I know the griffon is faster, but I like the feel of soaring (as long as I stay within the altitude range). It's actually messed me up with the control of the griffon a bit. I keep wanting to fly that the same way and it just doesn't.

I just unlocked the Skyscale this morning, and I agree with you that it made all my grumbling be quickly forgotten too. :)

• 6 months later...

I think it isnt sinking in for people that the two mounts have different roles. But for me, the skyscale have taken over as main mount. You need vertical ascension a lot more than going down. And if you walk over an edge with the skyscale, then you plummet much faster than manually flying down.Snap verticality well outweights both jakal and raptor imho.

I find the griffon clumsy in comparision. The momentum makes it difficult to do precise land, plus your space bar will love you for no longer needing to be hammered like a maniac. I just cant play the griffon anymore now. it feels quite limited in comparision, need space to dive. And the superspeed beetle have no such limitation, making it a lot more reliable for getting fast from A to B on flat terrain.

@KWman.3012 said:Quest chains to unlock Skyscale are taking too long. Overtime, I am losing interest to even login to play at all.

You don't have to do it all in one go, or as quickly as you're able to. If you don't want to carry on with unlocking the skyscale stop and do something else instead (maybe something else in GW2, maybe outside the game). You can do a little bit as and when you feel like it, or give up on it completely if you think the mount isn't worth the trouble.

The Skyscale and the Beetle have become my most used mounts by now as well. The Jackal is only second in place these days.

However, I still think the Skyscale's mechanics could use a little polishing. The clinging-to-objects mechanic in particular is way too sensitive and often annoys the heck out of me.