Thank you for new Skyscale skin!

It's a really nice looking skin.....that I likely won't buy. First off I really like the standard skyscale since she's got a face shape similar to Aurene. Secondly, the wings, while lovely, also cover more of the screen and I mostly use the skyscale when I need to precisely fly or land so having as much game space showing is sort of important. Had they stuck with traditional bat style wings I'd have bought one already. I may change my mind at some point and I imagine this will be available for a while since there are many still working on gaining the mount.

I was very on the fence about this skin because I was hoping for a more traditional dragon for a 2000k gem skin, but this wasn't it. The dye options I saw on other people's shimmerwings along with the blue fire and nature-related stuff (like flowers coming from the ground) tipped me over into getting it. I had the same dilemma with the hummingbird but I thankfully got it after a handful of black lion chest openings (thank you map completion for keys). I like it. I'm not excited about the shimmerwing, but I like it, I'm enjoying it for the moment, and the most important thing is that i don't regret my purchase. I'm looking forward to more personally exciting skins in the future though. I do like faerie dragons, but I much prefer traditional western dragons.

While I am not the hugest fan of the wings, I absolutely adore this skin. The structure of the body and the face are simply gorgeous, and even though I don't invest too much of my time into PvE, I felt compelled to buy it simply because of how beautiful it is. Very elegant design and just overall very aesthetically pleasing. It is easy for me to feel buyer's remorse, but I felt nothing but happiness from this purchase. I am extremely critical of art and design and have high standards when it comes to things that I personally like for myself, and this skin completely won me over.

I could have spent a lot more time getting a better picture and turning up the graphics, but here's a quick shot of a bit more of a subdued dye job, which is what I tend to go for.

H3Yg9UY.jpg

@"Endless Soul.5178" said:It looks really nice, but I'll still never pay such an outrageous price for it.

Yeah 2k gems is a bit much, i think they are too overpriced on these skins. 1000 gems i can maybe see, its a skin for goodness sake's, didnt the forums get upset when they charged 2k for a mount skin in 2017? https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/18347/mike-obrienss-new-response-to-high-priced-mount-skins

I mean dont they realize they will make more by selling more if they lowered the prices? Its business 101, high prices mean only a few can buy, lower prices means many can buy. I guess this is the way forward selling overpriced skins that amount to 30/35 dollars a piece smh

@Zuldari.3940 said:

@"Endless Soul.5178" said:It looks really nice, but I'll still never pay such an outrageous price for it.

Yeah 2k gems is a bit much, i think they are too overpriced on these skins. 1000 gems i can maybe see, its a skin for goodness sake's, didnt the forums get upset when they charged 2k for a mount skin in 2017?

I mean dont they realize they will make more by selling more if they lowered the prices? Its business 101, high prices mean only a few can buy, lower prices means many can buy. I guess this is the way forward selling overpriced skins that amount to 30/35 dollars a piece smh

All premium skins are 2000 gems. You must be new.

@Drecien.4508 said:

Yeah 2k gems is a bit much, i think they are too overpriced on these skins. 1000 gems i can maybe see, its a skin for goodness sake's, didnt the forums get upset when they charged 2k for a mount skin in 2017?

I may be new but i did some research about the mount skin controversy, not many were happy with the direction of 2k single skins. You can get skin packs for that! Branded, Awakened, Mad Realm etc, and for 1600 gems! I know i cant justify paying 30 dollars for a single skin in a game. Its way overpriced, and according to efficiency only 19k out of 200k accounts have the skyscale. I will save my gems for a mount pack i like, its a way better value.

Figured I'd chime in here. I have... mixed feelings, but some of those feelings are positive.

I'm absolutely in love with the techniques and effects that were used on this skin. The surface effects and opalescent materials are stunning, and I'm uber-jelly of the wing-lift idle. I would love to have that for my own skyscale. The modeling itself was also done superbly.

That being said, the Skyscale + Damselfly cross isn't quite what I'm looking for. I'd personally like a more straight-up dragon skin with distinct horns and the classic (dare I say majestic) wingspan. An armored version would also be amazing. I'm not putting down the new skin really. It's amazing in its own right, it's just not to my personal tastes. Still, I'm glad the people who like it are enjoying it, and I've seen some really pretty ones.

...Can we get the skyscale chair to match our dyes and skins now mebbe? :D

@Zuldari.3940 said:

I may be new but i did some research about the mount skin controversy, not many were happy with the direction of 2k single skins. You can get skin packs for that! Branded, Awakened, Mad Realm etc, and for 1600 gems! I know i cant justify paying 30 dollars for a single skin in a game. Its way overpriced, and according to efficiency only 19k out of 200k accounts have the skyscale. I will save my gems for a mount pack i like, its a way better value.

Yes they offer the packs sometimes at a sale price after the initial release of it. But the premium skins, and this is a premium, all are 2000 when they release. It may come back on sale in August when they have daily sales at a lower rate. But for now the release at top dollar. And the workmanship is awesome. Just because some dont like the price tag doesn't mean itll change.

I'm pretty happy with this skin as well. Not the first thing i was hoping for but it is quite beautiful! Still hoping for a more viscous skin in the near future though :P. I really like purple on it! Gives it an evil vibe imo. I am loving the face as well!

gLmQKBF.jpg

rYc6Bag.jpg

I absolutely hate it! Why? Because for the next few days I'll be spending most, if not all of my ingame time first thinking about which characters are going to use it, and then spending hours on each character trying out different dyes. It's torment!!

@Zuldari.3940 said:I may be new but i did some research about the mount skin controversy, not many were happy with the direction of 2k single skins. You can get skin packs for that! Branded, Awakened, Mad Realm etc, and for 1600 gems! I know i cant justify paying 30 dollars for a single skin in a game. Its way overpriced, and according to efficiency only 19k out of 200k accounts have the skyscale. I will save my gems for a mount pack i like, its a way better value.

They'll also offer cheaper items for those who can't afford the premium stuff, but apparently they're doing better out of high-priced mounts. So, odds are most of the people who'd be willing to pay 1000 are also willing to pay 2000.

@"Blocki.4931" said:That particular one I just removed all dyes to get the default ones, which are Blue Rose -> Frost Breeze -> Persephone -> Royal Purple going clockwise.

Ahh, so it's the ambient lighting that makes it look fiery orange then. ;) Too bad you can't actually create that color in dye channel 3. Oh well. :)

Here's my color scheme collection for my different characters, depending on their individual color scheme:efiHHyZ.jpg

@"Teratus.2859" said:0Zo2psi.jpg

Now, that's colorful. =)

@Zuldari.3940 said:

not really.... selling low volume in high prices works pretty well for many luxury goods.

Plus anet sells bits and bytes they can go lower in price any time and collect the other markets easily than