Why "win"?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If wvw had a endgame there would be no players left in wvw.... Thats the whole point of wvw, its never ending "giant pvp / pvd / pve battles" that never end. The only reason there's tiers is so that they can split up the servers as they cant have all in one place + they want to make things "even" although they fucked that part up by allowing BG a link.

@"Eliren.4985" said:If wvw had a endgame there would be no players left in wvw.... Thats the whole point of wvw, its never ending "giant pvp / pvd / pve battles" that never end. The only reason there's tiers is so that they can split up the servers as they cant have all in one place + they want to make things "even" although they kitten that part up by allowing BG a link.

But if I'm in T1 that means my server is good at the game! And if we win the match-up that means my server, and therefore me by extension, is better than all the other people on all the other servers. I could not play all week, log in for the last 15 minutes of the match-up, see my server winning, and be content in the fact I am a superior player to all other players not on my server. :)

When you play a shooter game, why do you want to beat your enemy team?When you play a fighting game, why would you want to win your opponent?When you play MOBA, why would you not want to beat your enemy?IS there any incentive to do so?

When you ask such a question, you are already screaming to the world that you are a pve player.

There are people who play not for guilds or for that group of people at that particular moment, there are people who play for the greater team aka server.

Now I will ask a question. Why would people stack a server? If they want to fight, wouldn't it be ideal for them to go to the opposing server? It is about winning everything.

@SkyShroud.2865 said:When you play a shooter game, why do you want to beat your enemy team?When you play a fighting game, why would you want to win your opponent?When you play MOBA, why would you not want to beat your enemy?IS there any incentive to do so?

When you ask such a question, you are already screaming to the world that you are a pve player.

There are people who play not for guilds or for that group of people at that particular moment, there are people who play for the greater team aka server.

Now I will ask a question. Why would people stack a server? If they want to fight, wouldn't it be ideal for them to go to the opposing server? It is about winning everything.

I play this game to beat the enemy players in combat that I can control. So what if I stay up 18 hours every day and the most interesting thing I did was press F on siege just to win the match-up. Does that make me a good player? Is that fun, or engaging to anyone at all who isn't the commander who must necessarily have a huge ego? What am I responsible for? 2 hours for raid nights 3 times a week minus reset. That's all I can control. The match-ups were decided years ago by off hours coverage and population. What's me taking my 7,459th tower? It's useless. I can fight and be a part of a team/guild. The whole chess match is so 2012, only played by egotistical commanders who let the game mode pass them by.

@Honest John.4673 said:

@SkyShroud.2865 said:When you play a shooter game, why do you want to beat your enemy team?When you play a fighting game, why would you want to win your opponent?When you play MOBA, why would you not want to beat your enemy?IS there any incentive to do so?

I play this game to beat the enemy players in combat that I can control. So what if I stay up 18 hours every day and the most interesting thing I did was press F on siege just to win the match-up. Does that make me a good player? Is that fun, or engaging to anyone at all who isn't the commander who must necessarily have a huge ego? What am I responsible for? 2 hours for raid nights 3 times a week minus reset. That's all I can control. The match-ups were decided years ago by off hours coverage and population. What's me taking my 7,459th tower? It's useless. I can fight and be a part of a team/guild. The whole chess match is so 2012, only played by egotistical commanders who let the game mode pass them by.

Fun is subjective. Your opinion of fun isn’t necessarily shared by others. To some people fun is passing time in a relaxed way and if that involves doing what you said then who are you to tell them differently?

@"c space cowboy.2764" said:After two years of wvw as my main game play in guild wars, I've come to the realization that the only reason to win or lose a weekly matchup is to go up or down tiers.

Wheres the incentive to win?

This is a known issue and ANet is working really hard to address it. Maybe in the next patch; keep reading those release notes.

"Currently we can’t give out worthwhile rewards for winning, as most match-ups are already decided before they begin"Source: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/Let-s-Talk-Scoring/page/1

@DeathPanel.8362 said:

Fun is subjective. Your opinion of fun isn’t necessarily shared by others. To some people fun is passing time in a relaxed way and if that involves doing what you said then who are you to tell them differently?

It makes no difference what players think of fights. Fights endure. As well ask players what they think of stone. Fights were always here. Before the game was, fights waited for them. The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner. That is the way it was and will be. That way and not some other way.

I feel like some, if not, many of us get a feeling of pleasure from winning. I--for one--am a competitive person whether it be in gaming or sports. I FEEL GOOD when I trample others and feel better, and I feel down when I'm defeated (but that becomes another incentive to win... because I lost...) SO A PARADOX... and maybe

maybe maybe maybe... Hence the name "Eternal Battlegrounds"...

(just kidding)

but mostly not kidding tho.We play video games for entertainment... in real life we actually gain nothing. and the most entertaining part... well for me, in video games, is being the best at it. And most of the time, doing what you cannot do irl.

Its a team game.

For the "team" part, you obviously need a common goal that everyone tries to achieve., to make ppl play together. Usually this common goal is winning.

For the "game" part, you just have to make winning some kind of meaningless, to get rid of the try hards and thus let everyone else having fun, which is the purpose of a game.

@Legendary Defender.5631 said:

no, players stack servers so its easy wins. minimal effort. lazy ppl. thats why servers get stacked. after all why learn the game when you can just be carried by the game?

Happens in every team game where team change is allowed. The thing is these players tend not to be good and become a drag on their new team and when eventually the core of good players in the winning team moves on the winning team will no longer be winning.

Those original team swappers will then try to join a new winning team and repeat the process never learning the lesson that ultimately it’s people like them that make their team lose in the first place. It’s not only a fact of competitive games but a fact of life in general.

There is no point in winning a Match up, other than to get a better/new server(s) to fight.There's not much server pride anymore, because of server linkings and even Tournaments weren't that competitive anyway, but there are so many T1 tryhards, until the relink, at least on whoever ends up #1 for so many weeks on the EU side.

@SkyShroud.2865 said:

Unfortunately, the game isn't just about you.

Imagine being as bad of a player now as you were in 2012. Just imagine.