The Private Squad toggle has been disabled until this feature is ready for release.

@Stephane Lo Presti.7258 said:

@Mewcifer.5198 said:What about it wasn't ready? :'(

From talking to the producer who alerted us, the feature hasn't completed its run through our development pipeline, and it was also missing a few things too. We're definitely planning to bring it back once it's complete!

I look forward to being able to use it then =) Give whoever implemented this a high-five for me if you can. It's been on my suggestion list a long time.

@notebene.3190 said:Appreciate people that want it. Little bit sad it is happening. Be interesting to see how it ends up affecting my quality of life playing.

I will mostly be using it for guild mission squads, situations where random people won't benefit from joining us and it only creates confusion when I suddenly have a person in squad who is not participating.

As part of a guild that organizes triple trouble we also have a hidden squad that does behind the scenes defense work at the event while we leave normal tags up for the people who are just there to kill some wurms.

I might also use it when roaming in WvW with friends, since you don't want to attract a large group for camp capturing.

I don't really see an invisible option for tags creating any negative effects for players.

@Mewcifer.5198 said:

@notebene.3190 said:Appreciate people that want it. Little bit sad it is happening. Be interesting to see how it ends up affecting my quality of life playing.

I will mostly be using it for guild mission squads, situations where random people won't benefit from joining us and it only creates confusion when I suddenly have a person in squad who is not participating.

As part of a guild that organizes triple trouble we also have a hidden squad that does behind the scenes defense work at the event while we leave normal tags up for the people who are just there to kill some wurms.

I might also use it when roaming in WvW with friends, since you don't want to attract a large group for camp capturing.

I don't really see an invisible option for tags creating any negative effects for players.

I'm crossing my fingers it's mostly used for things like you mention, or perhaps role-players getting together to do something. My quality of life in GW2 is 'greatly' improved when I get to participate in big things with all the leaders of the world that like to lead things like that. :)

@notebene.3190 said:

I'm crossing my fingers it's mostly used for things like you mention, or perhaps role-players getting together to do something. My quality of life in GW2 is 'greatly' improved when I get to participate in big things with all the leaders of the world that like to lead things like that. :)

Yeah, I feel you. The big events are the best. But usually people want to attract people to things like that, so they probably won't be hiding their tags.

The only thing I think you might miss out on is some people might do private bounty board runs with a set number of people so the fight doesn't upscale. But those are not gonna be common.

@"LordEnki.9283" said:Glad to see we have a little while longer before you hammer in the last coffin nail for the spirit of the game. GG Anet, GG.

Considering that the spirit of the game was (and to my knowledge still is) never being displeased by presence of other players, a feature that lets you avoid a situation where you might end up with players following you when you don't want those players following you is perfectly within that "spirit of the game" boundary.

Can't speak for main tags, my guess is that you will see more people saying want an invite then join voice and will send. Which is upto them if they want to be more structured. Betting it doesn't impact many pugmanders at all. For havocs that don't tag now, it will mean their havoc being better able to see where the driver is without having to check each dot or manually marker the person with a crosshair and better targeting since the driver can more freely tag their targets.

Sorry hit this from top link and thought it was the WvW thread about the tags. As far as open world tags, not sure this will impact that as much as those people that tagged already were expecting people. This is one of those that many vary depending on game mode. WvW players have been asking for this for a while which is why it is viewed as favorable. Also agree with the above, this would make guild missions a lot easier and not mis-inform players of intent. But overall PvE side, wouldn't image this being much of a game impact.

@TheGrimm.5624 said:Sorry hit this from top link and thought it was the WvW thread about the tags. As far as open world tags, not sure this will impact that as much as those people that tagged already were expecting people. This is one of those that many vary depending on game mode. WvW players have been asking for this for a while which is why it is viewed as favorable. Also agree with the above, this would make guild missions a lot easier and not mis-inform players of intent. But overall PvE side, wouldn't image this being much of a game impact.

It's impact will be for organized squads that aren't necessarily open to the public: things like guild missions, guild events, organized events, etc. This allows players to squad up, but not attack attention from other players on the map who see a tag, and instinctively try to join, or run to that area in case there is a bounty / meta / something going on.

I actually think this will improve things for people who look for commander tags to find groups to join.

Players already make squads which are not open for everyone to join and in at least some cases are doing things which most people can't join - like role-play groups or guilds doing missions. Right now they either have to settle for using parties/say/guild chat and going without the squad tools, using that awkward workaround to create a commanderless squad or tagging up and running the risk that random people will keep rushing over to see what's happening and then trying to follow the group around expecting a meta-event or something similar to start up, and then those people waste their time following the group until someone realises what they're doing and takes the time to explain (which can be quite tricky if they're new and don't know what guild missions are or how role-playing works, and just know tag=something exciting). It's not common but I have seen some people blame the commander when they find out the tag is for something they can't join in with and at least one got quite nasty about it.

But if invisible tags are an option (or tags only visible to people in the squad) those groups can hide themselves and then everyone will be able to know that if you see a commander tag it's someone who has chosen to advertise their presence to the public and therefore they do want you to come and join in with whatever they're doing.

And in most cases that is exactly what the commander tag is for, so I think it's likely they'll keep it visible. There is absolutely no benefit in tagging up for a meta-event, then hiding that tag from everyone on the map because then you can't do anything more than you could with the tag turned off. And you run the risk of someone else tagging up and taking over because they think there is no commander.

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:

@TheGrimm.5624 said:Sorry hit this from top link and thought it was the WvW thread about the tags. As far as open world tags, not sure this will impact that as much as those people that tagged already were expecting people. This is one of those that many vary depending on game mode. WvW players have been asking for this for a while which is why it is viewed as favorable. Also agree with the above, this would make guild missions a lot easier and not mis-inform players of intent. But overall PvE side, wouldn't image this being much of a game impact.

It's impact will be for organized squads that aren't necessarily open to the public: things like guild missions, guild events, organized events, etc. This allows players to squad up, but not attack attention from other players on the map who see a tag, and instinctively try to join, or run to that area in case there is a bounty / meta / something going on.

Oh agree completely, more was saying not sure it would negatively impact PvE since people in PvE are mostly tagging to get people on them and therefore may not use anway, where as it makes things for smaller groups a lot easier since they can better organise themselves.

@Danikat.8537 said:I actually think this will improve things for people who look for commander tags to find groups to join.

Players already make squads which are not open for everyone to join and in at least some cases are doing things which most people can't join - like role-play groups or guilds doing missions. Right now they either have to settle for using parties/say/guild chat and going without the squad tools, using that awkward workaround to create a commanderless squad or tagging up and running the risk that random people will keep rushing over to see what's happening and then trying to follow the group around expecting a meta-event or something similar to start up, and then those people waste their time following the group until someone realises what they're doing and takes the time to explain (which can be quite tricky if they're new and don't know what guild missions are or how role-playing works, and just know tag=something exciting). It's not common but I have seen some people blame the commander when they find out the tag is for something they can't join in with and at least one got quite nasty about it.

But if invisible tags are an option (or tags only visible to people in the squad) those groups can hide themselves and then everyone will be able to know that if you see a commander tag it's someone who has chosen to advertise their presence to the public and therefore they do want you to come and join in with whatever they're doing.

And in most cases that is exactly what the commander tag is for, so I think it's likely they'll keep it visible. There is absolutely no benefit in tagging up for a meta-event, then hiding that tag from everyone on the map because then you can't do anything more than you could with the tag turned off. And you run the risk of someone else tagging up and taking over because they think there is no commander.

Wonderfully said as always. Quoted for emphasis. And to add that yes, I'm in an RP guild that does open world RP with NPC lines done as squad broadcasts; sometimes if we're in a more crowded area we confine the RP to /squad so as not to spam open chat. And then indeed we do get a constant flow of people standing around, asking what the tag is for, and we need to spend time /saying ((RP group)). Our guild leader is over the moon with joy at the idea that he will be able to hide the tag so we aren't distracting others. Not that we always hide the RP, we'll do it out loud in the right circumstances, but if we are, hmm, exploring a haunted ruin with our small intrepid band it kind of alters the feel if a lot of random people stand around chatting happily and asking what we're doing and can they join our guild :)

This right here reminds me of how it can be good or bad for wvw purposes. One hand would be good vs tag watchers on the other hand it promotes exclusion until they become one with the grass and demand you help them. Not really a big issue though at this time since anet killed roaming and the classes that were best suited for it and people wonder why theres no more roamers(yeah you begged anet to nerf them and you got your wish but these players aren't just going to keep playing a one sided fight).