Vulnerability and Barrier

fuzzyp.6295

Hi all. Since the last update to Scrapper (and before honestly with Scourge), barriers have become more and more commonplace in WvW. It can be quiet difficult to play around barrier, particularly in small-scale combat. I don't play sPvP that often, but I know there have been some complaints over there about the tankiness of barrier as well. I don't think straight nerfing barrier is really the way to go about it, but has anyone thrown around the idea of having the Vulnerability condition somehow effecting the damage done to barriers? I know it already does increase the damage done to them, but perhaps its time to look at a way of making the damage done to barriers while under Vulnerability more effective? It would make sense since Vulnerability is the armor piercing condition. Would anyone think that a change like this would help the barrier issues? I don't really play around with numbers too often but I'm curious to see what the communities thoughts are on it and if its been discussed before.

@archmagus.7249 said:Barrier just increases your max health, it doesn't decrease any damage (only condition damage, if traited) and it caps out at 50% of your max health.

It's how quickly it can be renewed that is the issue. Classes who have access to it can keep it up almost indefinitely if they build for it. I wouldn't mind seeing a window in which barrier cannot be reapplied after it ends. Maybe 3 seconds before you can get another barrier on you.

I always think of barrier as GW1's Reversal of Fortune, on steroids.

@Etterwyn.5263 said:

@archmagus.7249 said:Barrier just increases your max health, it doesn't decrease any damage (only condition damage, if traited) and it caps out at 50% of your max health.

It's how quickly it can be renewed that is the issue. Classes who have access to it can keep it up almost indefinitely if they build for it. I wouldn't mind seeing a window in which barrier cannot be reapplied after it ends. Maybe 3 seconds before you can get another barrier on you.

I always think of barrier as GW1's Reversal of Fortune, on steroids.

Yeah, the speed in which barrier is applied is a bit painful at times. When fighting truly tanky Scrappers, I can burn through their barrier, maybe get them to 70% HP before suddenly its all golden again. I don't know how having a down time between barriers would work though since, for example, the weaver minor trait Elemental Refreshment works by giving small amounts of barrier fairly quickly (whenever a dual attack is used). They would probably have to limit it to some sort of cap, like at 3000 barrier you get a 3 second cool down. I dunno. I don't particularly like nerfing mechanics if there are other options, which is why I thought buffing Vuln to deal extra damage to barriers might be a good way to weaken barrier without straight nerfing it, and giving Vuln a bit of a buff.