What is all this about hyenas?

Dezember.1295

Sooo... I been taking a break due to my job and now all of the sudden there's discussions about the hyena?

I've been checking the patch notes that I've missed out on but couldn't find anything related to the hyena - only the shouts being remade to "commands".

Sooo, anyone wanna explain why we're discussion the hyena now? Last time I checked (which was some time ago, to be fair) hyenas are by far the worst pet for DPS and their stats seem to be unchanged as far as I can tell.

@InsaneQR.7412 said:Read the threat and you will understand. It's about visuals not dmg.

Yeah, I did read them (obviously) ^^ And therefor I was curious why people want an visual update specifically for the hyena when it is such a weak pet. I would much rather see them do something about the poor wolves (like seriously, their faces are just derpy)... ^^

@Dezember.1295 said:

@InsaneQR.7412 said:Read the threat and you will understand. It's about visuals not dmg.

Yeah, I did read them (obviously) ^^ And therefor I was curious why people want an visual update
specifically
for the hyena when it is such a weak pet. I would much rather see them do something about the poor wolves (like seriously, their faces are just kitten)... ^^

Call it personal preference.Honestly all pets need visual and mechanical updates. 90% is outdated.

@InsaneQR.7412 said:Call it personal preference.Honestly all pets need visual and mechanical updates. 90% is outdated.

I suppose so. And yes, I absolutely agree that most pets are in a severe need of an update - both visually and mechanically. But I always found wolves in GW2 to be extremely weird... I think it is really weird that their faces look so... Unfinished while most other pets seems pretty decent or better (imo, of course). :D

@Dezember.1295 said:

@InsaneQR.7412 said:Call it personal preference.Honestly all pets need visual and mechanical updates. 90% is outdated.

I suppose so. And yes, I absolutely agree that most pets are in a severe need of an update - both visually and mechanically. But I always found wolves in GW2 to be extremely weird... I think it is really weird that their faces look so... Unfinished while most other pets seems pretty decent or better (imo, of course). :D

You forgot to mention that canines can't swim. Although there are dogs in the game that swim.Only dog that looks good is the fernhound.The other ones look a bit scruffy.

As the maker of said thread, the reason it’s around the Hyena specifically is because at launch the only model for Hyena (the one we can tame) is some mangy starving one.

However, in PoF content areas the Hyenas are all healthy looking, so I was saying they should either make a “second” Hyena pet with a healthy model (literally the same pet in every way but the model) or just swap the model of the one we can tame with the healthy one so that we don’t run around with a sickly looking animal companion.

Gameplay balance of the hyena and other vanilla pets is a totally different discussion.

• 3 weeks later...

@Durzlla.6295 said:As the maker of said thread, the reason it’s around the Hyena specifically is because at launch the only model for Hyena (the one we can tame) is some mangy starving one.

However, in PoF content areas the Hyenas are all healthy looking, so I was saying they should either make a “second” Hyena pet with a healthy model (literally the same pet in every way but the model) or just swap the model of the one we can tame with the healthy one so that we don’t run around with a sickly looking animal companion.

Gameplay balance of the hyena and other vanilla pets is a totally different discussion.

Strangely enough Ranger Pets in the original Guildwars, looked semi different depending on their final Evolution. Still, the Hyena doesn't come close to resembling the Hyena's I see on the Discovery channel. But maybe their just all natural Tyrian Hyena's.